Taylor -- 106.7 rating today

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know most everyone has seen this over and over but I could watch it 100 times and it's just insane.

https://twitter.com/yardsperpass/status/914890543079084033

KTG that isnt Taylor. He never throws balls up to his playmakers. He isnt willing to take a hit to get a pass off.

He isnt willing to throw the ball to the te.

He isnt willing to not tuck it and run it...

I answered this one way yesterday, here's another.

So, does that make Matt Ryan a lousy QB?

Nah, Ryan's just overrated.

I actually thought all the talk last year about Ryan suddenly becoming an Elite QB was kinda ridiculous. That was the perfect example of a QB benefitting from an incredible OC. I said in the offseason I expected Ryan to take a pretty serious step backwards. So far, so true.

Under 300 yards offense the last 3 games and we are extolling this exciting juggernaut????

Do you really not get it? McDermott only wants Taylor to pass the football when the team is behind or tied. He's all about managing the clock and controlling the football and trusting his defense once the team gets the lead. I don't love it myself, but I get it. I think it's an easy concept to understand.

The Bills have actually been tied or ahead the majority of the time this year, and on the year, when the Bills have been either trailing or tied with the opposition, Taylor has thrown 74% of his passes (at a 69% completion %) for 77% of his yards and 80% of his TDs.

If you have a problem, it's with that particular philosophy. It's not on Taylor. When called upon, Taylor seems to be rising to the occasion in 2017.

I know most everyone has seen this over and over but I could watch it 100 times and it's just insane.

https://twitter.com/yardsperpass/status/914890543079084033

BowedEveryHyracotherium-size_restricted.

@OnofrioRino

Replying to @YardsPerPass

I wanna see if Peterman can make that throw 1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png

^^ Love the comment.

@YardsPerPass

Another great throw by TT to Clay, drops it in and Clay holds on w/ contact

WearyLargeKoala-max-14mb.gif

@OnofrioRino

^^ Love the comment.

@YardsPerPass

In both those cases, those are interceptions if Clay doesn't make a fabulous play on the ball.

Again, Taylor sucked if not for Clay.

@OnofrioRino

^^ Love the comment.

@YardsPerPass

Ya know the thing that's kind of annoying? The thing he does in that 2nd throw is something that he's actually done pretty consistently as a passer. Taylor has no fear standing there knowing he's about to take a hit while delivering a beautiful pass. A lot of people on here and previously at BBMB have professed that Taylor, at the first sign of pressure, looks to run. What a buncha crap. That pass is a great example. The long pass to Clay (the WR) last week is another. Off the top of my head in the 1st Miami game last year Taylor threw a gorgeous TD bomb to Goodwin right before he got throttled by a free running Dolphin defender.

I'll admit that in a collapsing pocket it looks like sometimes Taylor looks like he'll occasionally feel the phantom pressure and escape, but part of me also wonders if he's just trying to move around in order to see WRs better.

But one thing's for sure, dude's not afraid to take a hit.

A lot of people on here and previously at BBMB have professed that Taylor, at the first sign of pressure, looks to run. What a buncha crap.

Its wasnt really a bunch of crap though. He has had issues the last 2 years bailing out of pockets early. The criticism was valid.

Take my whole comment in context.

I just said he can leave the pocket early at times, but he's a pass-first QB even when he's left the pocket.

I did take it into context. You called something a bunch of crap that was actually true.

KTG that isnt Taylor. He never throws balls up to his playmakers. He isnt willing to take a hit to get a pass off.

He isnt willing to throw the ball to the te.

He isnt willing to not tuck it and run it...

I still see people "crediting" Taylor for throwing to the middle this season. It's just the offensive scheme. It determines where the ball gets thrown.

I don't know, on one hand I still don't think that Taylor is the (long term) answer in Buffalo. But he does have some unique ability that most other NFL QB's simply don't have.

Just wish the guy could hit some of these of the wide open throws that he seems to wildly overthrow. Almost like he is shell shocked when guys are so open and overthinks things.

wildy overthrown?

gif me please

In both those cases, those are interceptions if Clay doesn't make a fabulous play on the ball.

Again, Taylor sucked if not for Clay.

i thought it was the other way about?

hard to keep up.

i need cheat sheet of which player to cheer for some weeks.

Is it okay to like Tyrod publicly, again?

Its wasnt really a bunch of crap though. He has had issues the last 2 years bailing out of pockets early. The criticism was valid.

but it wasn't about the fear of a hit

Bail and run? Not here. Going through progressions? Yep.

@YardsPerPass

Extremely nice pass protection here. TT with plenty of space to scan field. That room makes a huge difference

NaturalTerribleGoa-max-14mb.gif

Notice how much better Tyrod (and every other QB in the league) is when he has great pass protection.

Bills season depends mostly on the performance of the offensive line assuming everybody else keeps playing the way they have.

With good protection, the passing game will improve as the season progresses - even with these same receivers. - my opinion

And some teams are very reluctant to blitz Tyrod already - if only that line could hold up regularly against a 3 or 4 man rush.

Edited by PolishDave

Bail and run? Not here. Going through progressions? Yep.

@YardsPerPass

Extremely nice pass protection here. TT with plenty of space to scan field. That room makes a huge difference

NaturalTerribleGoa-max-14mb.gif

He always seems to be throwing off balance and he's bordering on throwing across his body a lot. I can't help but worry that will catch up to him.

He always seems to be throwing off balance and he's bordering on throwing across his body a lot. I can't help but worry that will catch up to him.

I can't help but be thrilled with the TD. And it happened right in front of me, so it's that much better. We won, he graded out well, I'm good. He DOES get better with time and reps.

I understand players have each other's backs but it's interesting nonetheless. Preston Brown...

Q: Tyrod franchise guy, long term answer?

PB: Definitely. Hes gone out there and played well. 2-time Pro Bowl guy, but we havent had the wins and thats what goes on with franchise quarterbacks youve gotta have the wins and thats what were starting to do its a team effort and weve got to find a way to win more games and thats what were starting to do so then I think hell get more recognition and the credit he deserves.

I did take it into context. You called something a bunch of crap that was actually true.

No.

"Taylor, at the first sign of pressure, looks to run. What a buncha crap."

That's exactly what I said.

Now, I followed that up with:

"I'll admit that in a collapsing pocket it looks like sometimes Taylor looks like he'll occasionally feel the phantom pressure and escape, but part of me also wonders if he's just trying to move around in order to see WRs better."

I don't know if you're equating "escaping" with "running," but considering the very last thing I say there I don't know why you'd do that.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

No.

"I'll admit that in a collapsing pocket it looks like sometimes Taylor looks like he'll occasionally feel the phantom pressure and escape, but part of me also wonders if he's just trying to move around in order to see WRs better."

I don't know if you're equating "escaping" with "running," but considering the very last thing I say there I don't know why you'd do that.

I think the miscommunication is that your opinion isn't the truth. B-)

No.

In my opinion, part of the issue with Tyrod wanting to leave the pocket comes from his style of athleticism. He is excellent at avoiding tackles by avoiding contact. He is not excellent at breaking tackles. In fact, I think he is easy to tackle once someone gets a hand on him. Unlike some QB's like Big Ben who can brush off a hand on his jersey.

Tyrod has to avoid contact in order to avoid sacks. I think he knows that. And I think it makes him a little more skittish inside the pocket than some larger bodied quarterbacks. Looks to me like Tyrod is trying to avoid any contact at all while inside a pocket. That makes him tend to want to bounce into space rather than step in closer inside the pocket.

Yet he is improving in that regard and trusting his linemen more.

No.

Which is not accurate. Hes had issues with running when he doesnt need to. He seems to be making a conscious effort of staying in the pocket which is nice.

Were starting to bicker and I dont want to fight in front of the kids. Hug?

Edited by Bangarang

I think the miscommunication is that your opinion isn't the truth. B-)

Ummm.. actually I think that's absolutely the truth. Taylor's looking to pass all the way up until he passes the LOS almost always. You can tell pretty easily because you can see him looking downfield for WRs to pass to even after he's felt (what I absolutely acknowledge is sometimes phantom) pressure. It's how the Clay bomb happened. It's how the 22 yard pass on 3rd and 21 against the Seahawks last year happened. It's how the Greg Salas TD vs the Jets last year happened.

Those are just off the top of my head.

So yeah, I think that's pretty much truth right there if you actually follow what I said.

Ummm.. actually I think that's absolutely the truth. Taylor's looking to pass all the way up until he passes the LOS almost always. You can tell pretty easily because you can see him looking downfield for WRs to pass to even after he's felt (what I absolutely acknowledge is sometimes phantom) pressure. It's how the Clay bomb happened. It's how the 22 yard pass on 3rd and 21 against the Seahawks last year happened. It's how the Greg Salas TD vs the Jets last year happened.

Those are just off the top of my head.

So yeah, I think that's pretty much truth right there if you actually follow what I said.

I think it's not. Opinions are fun.

Which is not accurate. Hes had issues with running when he doesnt need to. He seems to be making a conscious effort of staying in the pocket which is nice.

Were starting to bicker and I dont want to fight in front of the kids. Hug?

My bad... can I keep the kids at my back so I can grab your ass?

I think it's not. Opinions are fun.

Yeah. Opinions certainly are fun.

Especially when they're based on the truth. :flirt:

I can't help but be thrilled with the TD. And it happened right in front of me, so it's that much better. We won, he graded out well, I'm good. He DOES get better with time and reps.

Oh, I agree. I was just expressing concern. I'm done nit picking TT and criticizing too much. So he 's not setting his feet and stepping into his throws? His completions on Sunday were perfect strikes and that's all that matters (along with the win).

I'm going to enjoy this season, come hell or high water. I haven't enjoyed one in ~5 years .. maybe more. Done with that schit.

Go Bills!

Tyrod is really good. He plays with TRASH. I'm coming around on him. It's him, Shady and Clay. The rest of that offense is painful with Glenn out.

Have to agree, we really need Glenn back. Shady runs better when Glenn is able to play.

The offense is still leaving points on the board, but they are still learning a new system and Taylor is still trying to build chemistry with his new receivers. Just as long as they keep getting better and learn Dennison's system, then I'm not too worried about it for now. At some point, the offense will have to put up over 30 points (most likely against the Pats).

You may be right about that, but I am not sure a 40 year old Brady can hang 30 on this defense. If he does, I am not sure it would be an issue with the way the Cheatriots defense is playing. Their defense has more holes than freshly aerated lawn.

Taylor paired with a good defense will result in playoffs. Curious to see if they can keep it up. Milano starting at linebaker makes me a little nervous. Zay needs to step and have a big game without Matthews.

Taylor paired with a good defense will result in playoffs. Curious to see if they can keep it up. Milano starting at linebaker makes me a little nervous. Zay needs to step and have a big game without Matthews.

John Elway would agree...

This is probably true but I wouldnt let it deter me from drafting another QB next year.

Notice how much better Tyrod (and every other QB in the league) is when he has great pass protection.

Bills season depends mostly on the performance of the offensive line assuming everybody else keeps playing the way they have.

With good protection, the passing game will improve as the season progresses - even with these same receivers. - my opinion

And some teams are very reluctant to blitz Tyrod already - if only that line could hold up regularly against a 3 or 4 man rush.

That's why Tyrod will never be a good QB. He needs great pass protection.

That's why Tyrod will never be a good QB. He needs great pass protection.

He does need great pass protection if you expect him to make plays from the pocket, because he holds the ball longer in the pocket than many/most QB's do.

If you roll him out - then not as much.

The thing he does better than other quarterbacks is extend pass plays when outside of the pocket - giving receivers lots of time to spread the field (assuming the routes are designed to do that). He gives a team more opportunities to (attempt) those 5 second broken pocket plays that can turn into HUGE passing plays and touchdowns. Personally, I would like to see lots of those style plays attempted as long as he is my QB.

He does need great pass protection if you expect him to make plays from the pocket, because he holds the ball longer in the pocket than many/most QB's do.

If you roll him out - then not as much.

The thing he does better than other quarterbacks is extend pass plays when outside of the pocket - giving receivers lots of time to spread the field (assuming the routes are designed to do that). He gives a team more opportunities to (attempt) those 5 second broken pocket plays that can turn into HUGE passing plays and touchdowns. Personally, I would like to see lots of those style plays attempted as long as he is my QB.

He's slightly higher in time to throw than avg (about .2 sec) but I'd say he makes that up in compl %...Carr is amazing in both but the yds per pass for him are unsurprisingly almost the lowest in NFL so...hard to say what the optimum is

Tell me if I'm wrong here: this claim by Gannon about Taylor's game before this season is utterly false, correct?

"When Gannon watches Taylor, he sees a quarterback who, especially when on the move, is more comfortable throwing to the tight end than outside the numbers to his receivers.

This hasn't changed a whole lot since Taylor became the Bills' starter in 2015 or during the past two years when he had Sammy Watkins in his receiving corps.

"Part of that is (Taylor's) height," Gannon said. "When you're 6-foot or 6-1, whatever he is, it's hard to see over those guys in front of you and be able to find lanes to throw the ball outside. So that's a scary throw if you don't have really good vision."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/03/vic-caruccis-bills-analysis-taylor-clay-can-continue-carry-passing-game/

Tell me if I'm wrong here: this claim by Gannon about Taylor's game before this season is utterly false, correct?

"When Gannon watches Taylor, he sees a quarterback who, especially when on the move, is more comfortable throwing to the tight end than outside the numbers to his receivers.

This hasn't changed a whole lot since Taylor became the Bills' starter in 2015 or during the past two years when he had Sammy Watkins in his receiving corps.

"Part of that is (Taylor's) height," Gannon said. "When you're 6-foot or 6-1, whatever he is, it's hard to see over those guys in front of you and be able to find lanes to throw the ball outside. So that's a scary throw if you don't have really good vision."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/03/vic-caruccis-bills-analysis-taylor-clay-can-continue-carry-passing-game/

I'm not sure I would call the comment utterly false and Gannons comments are on the money in my humble opinion.

The comment in question may not have been Gannons IMO.