Jim Kelly disrespected by Shady stretching during Anthem

JerseyBills

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean your Facebook friends all believe what you believe? Amazing. It's almost like it's a self-selected sample.

I'm all for people using their checkbook to express their feelings. Go ahead, cancel. I'm just amazed that people could be so upset that someone is expressing their beliefs over a major social issue. To me, the right response is, "Huh, I wonder why they feel so strongly about this issue?" ignoring it solves nothing.

no, they're mostly not friends

It's been interesting seeing so many people not just define patriotism but really trying to own it and enforce their standards on others. Especially when those same people (on both sides) often fall short of their own standards that they are pressing.

It's been interesting the hypocrisy expressed by both sides. Both sides of the camp seem to understand the right they have to freedom of speech while simultaneously not respecting that right with the opposing party. You have a right to kneel, people have a right to hate you are kneeling.

The are asking everyone who doesn't look like them to respect the flag?

To each their own I guess. I love thatvJK said what he did. I really wouldn't have had a problem if he took a leak right next to where Shady was " stretching" .

You've clearly chosen sides. I don't know why you have to. I respect Villanueva for standing for the anthem when no other Steelers were. And I respect JK for his patriotic feelings.

But I respect Shady too. Shady wasn't disrespecting the flag. He was silently protesting a wrong.

While I wouldn't choose to stretch during the anthem, I wish more people would silently protest societal wrongs.

Edited by hondo in seattle

The fact that anybody would get upset over someone not standing for a song... is the most ridiculous thing. How does it affect you?

Conversely, why would someone, not standing for a song, get upset over someone else expressing their displeasure at the gesture - how does that adversely affect them. People are free to express their views - whether others agree with them or not. Such a lack of tolerance all the way around....

Actually, I think you'll find a large majority of football fans consider the right response to be, "Hey...I'm here to watch football and cheer for my team. Can you all STFU about and start playing!"

It's literally a silent protest during an existing delay between you and the game.

It's literally a silent protest during an existing delay between you and the game.

It's okay to protest but not to do it silently, or to shout people down, or to do it violently. So what I mean by you have the right to protest is you have the right, but not any way you decide to do it, so you don't have the right.

Conversely, why would someone, not standing for a song, get upset over someone else expressing their displeasure at the gesture - how does that adversely affect them. People are free to express their views - whether others agree with them or not. Such a lack of tolerance all the way around....

Well, many of those opposed to the protesters (including the commander-in-chief, who did everything in his and his family's power to avoid serving active duty in the military) are not just voicing displeasure. They are calling for the protesters to be fired and telling them they should leave the country or worse. So, enough of the moral equivalency argument...

Lost a lot of respect for #12 today. He's always been a simpleton country bumpkin, which was part of his charm, but he's just as prone to ignorance as anyone despite the adoration of an entire geography. Problem is, white American's love for this inanimate object is connected, rightly so or not, to the formation of this country by slave owners. It's creation and existence are embedded in whiteness and the actions of white racists. So any attempt by non-white's to challenge this symbol is a challenge to whiteness, but one conveniently veiled as "freedom" (tell that to the slaves who weren't free when the flag was created) and liberty. Nowhere is this mentality more engrained than the rural Appalachia that #12 grew up in and includes, geographically, the southern part of this state and where the seeds of this country's racism were planted.

So Kelly's done to me. Don't care anymore what he says. Sadly, this division in our country being enjoyed by this bum in office is making us pick sides and distance ourselves from friends, family, and now athletes we liked.

Kind of hard for you to take the moral high ground when you start out with "simpleton country bumpkin"...