Jim Kelly disrespected by Shady stretching during Anthem

JerseyBills

No, they do not have the power to stop it. The players are members of a labor union and their employment is subject to the terms of a collective bargaining agreement that prevents the owners from firing disciplining them for expressing their views in the ways that the protesters have done. But don't feel bad; that is a concept that our president apparently does not grasp, either.

Dozens of legal opinions have been published today (on both sides of the fence), and they almost unanimously agree that the NFL has the right to fire players for virtually any reason. The First Amendment does not apply to private business.

I agree with Trump.

Not necessarily because I'm against the protests or that I wish the players would get fired, but because the NFL should have instructed the players to keep their political opinions OFF THE FIELD. This whole thing has been nothing but a distraction, and very damaging to the league.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me see if I can simplify this.

You should choose the target of your protest carefully. Protesting the National Anthem gives your audience the impression that you don't approve of the Country as a whole!

If you don't like your employer, you go on strike. If you don't like a restaurant you complain to the Manager. If you feel a company has done you wrong you might picket in front of their headquarters.

It makes ZERO sense to make the National Anthem the target of your protest....thus the confusion in both the message AND the response to it.

Kapearnick is an idiot.

If "other methods had been used", no one would have noticed and no attention would have been brought to the problem. That was kind of the point of the protests, whether you agree with the concern or not.

So it was a " look at me attention getter" . I think you drastically underestimate the liberal bent of the media and how they would gobble up any protest that the players decided to do. They could do it on the way to the locker room before the half or when they returned to the field after halftime or whatever. The media will gobble it up. They would make sure everyone knew about it.

As I've said many times here, just get rid of all the pre-game BS involving the National Anthem, Honor Guards, giant field-sized US flags, military flyovers and all of it.

Let the military spend their marketing dollars on TV commercials instead.

Get this **** out of the game of football.

It has no place before a football game.

At all!

As I've said many times here, just get rid of all the pre-game BS involving the National Anthem, Honor Guards, giant field-sized US flags, military flyovers and all of it.

Let the military spend their marketing dollars on TV commercials instead.

Get this **** out of the game of football.

It has no place before a football game.

At all!

I concur

I think that last WGR caller brought up a very good point.

He's a disabled vet. He stated that he doesn't like what the players are doing but he also defends the right they have to do it.

No one and I repeat no one, has ever died for a flag. They may have died for freedom, but that is also the right to burn flags if you want to.

-Bill Hicks

Dozens of legal opinions have been published today (on both sides of the fence), and they almost unanimously agree that the NFL has the right to fire players for virtually any reason. The First Amendment does not apply to private business.

I've read quite a few of those opinions. It's true that the US Constitution does not protect the players from being fired by their teams or by the league, but that's not really the issue. The players are union members who are protected by a collective bargaining agreement that sheilds them from being fired, except under certain circumstances. Under the CBA, a team could release a player for participating in peaceful protests, but the player could file a grievance that would be decided by a neutral arbitrator and could be reinstated. I've seen the language in the CBA that the owners might try to rely upon, and I think its unlikely that the owners would prevail, but I will admit that the ultimate result would depend on a lot of other previous arbitrators' decisions (and other factors) that I'm not privy to. There are also state and local laws in many of the jurisdictions where NFL teams are located that protect workers from being fired for engaging in rights that are protected by the state or federal constitution. Whether those laws apply will vary, of course, depending on where the team is located. Edited by mannc