Jim Kelly disrespected by Shady stretching during Anthem

JerseyBills

Kelly is hamstrung by his political and religious ideologies and it is a stretch to use those to complain about Shady's.

Kelly is hamstrung by the fact he is pretty much an idiot. He just happened to be good at football and had a couple of heartbreaking life experiences, but I see no reason for anyone to be listening to him about anything.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said something like " wouldn't it be nice if..". If memory serves . I could be wrong. I think they probably do have the power to stop it now by keeping the players in the locker room during the anthem. I don't think that would violate the CBA

Probably not. Or they could just stop playing the national anthem before sporting events, which would make far more sense, since sporting events really have nothing whatsoever to do with national identity, patriotic fervor, etc.

I have.

I thought a goodly portion of the Racist Denier populace couldn't be bigger idiots or larger in number but I was wrong and now have to recalibrate.

I am not denying the existence of racism. There is not, however racism that is sanctioned by the USA. No matter what you may wish to believe. What should be done about it? There are laws against it on the books already. Are we to not stand and honor America because everything isn't perfect everywhere and not everyone is a good person? Because crime exists? Because gangs shoot each other? Perhaps we just move all Police into low crime areas and have them sit roadside with radar. They can respond to high crime areas only after they get calls on crimes that have been committed . That way no one can claim they are harassed racially. Of course that's silly. If honoring America is now so divisive because of some conspiracy theories then let's just get rid of it. Or keep the players inside until afterward. Problem solved.

What an embarrassing hot sticking mess. Everyone is offended by everything in the Land of the free, Home of the brave.

Since I'm on the other side of the world (Thank God), can someone enlighten me please.

I understand how and why these protests began last year, with Keapernick, but... weren't most of yesterdays protests directed more at Trump?

Clearly. The owners and nfl players cocnsitently directed it at Trump. There was a massive spike after trumps comments.

It doesnt get more direct than that

Probably not. Or they could just stop playing the national anthem before sporting events, which would make far more sense, since sporting events really have nothing whatsoever to do with national identity, patriotic fervor, etc.

It would be ok . Actually what makes the most sense is keeping the players inside, as that's what they do in the NCAA, ( supposedly what the NFL used to do though I'm not 100% sure) andfans don't seem to have a problem with it being played. It's the players that apparently have an issue with it. So keep them inside.

Clearly. The owners and nfl players cocnsitently directed it at Trump. There was a massive spike after trumps comments.

It doesnt get more direct than that

Of course the union will close ranks and pout after Trump refused to kiss their collective a$$ like the media does with their protest coverage.

Kelly is hamstrung by the fact he is pretty much an idiot. He just happened to be good at football and had a couple of heartbreaking life experiences, but I see no reason for anyone to be listening to him about anything.

you could say the same about the protesting players, too.

Read their interviews. Most players understand that most cops are not racists who harass minorities for fun - or any other reason. In fact, many cops are minorities. However, it's a statistical reality that minorities are treated differently than whites overall.

Many players aspire to a future color-blind America where this isn't true anymore. Because of the diversity that exists in locker rooms (country boys, city slickers, whites, blacks, etc), players are sensitive to issues of tolerance, acceptance and equality.

Personally, I'd like to see us move past all the us-versus-them hostility: Democrats vs. Republicans, black suspects versus white cops, kneelers versus non-kneelers...

We're stronger as a country when we see each other as brothers and sisters. We're weaker when we let people divide us.

As someone else posted regarding police treatment of minorities...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/13/why-a-massive-new-study-on-police-shootings-of-whites-and-blacks-is-so-controversial/?utm_term=.fc68a36d2649

My view is the only way to come together around these social issues is is to have a very uncomfortable and honest conversation between all sides about the concerns, behaviors, and grievances of all parties to reach a common understanding of where to go from here. That's going to take some leadership and from where I sit we have no leaders on any side of the issues capable or willing to do that.

I am grievously offended by the protests taking place on NFL sidelines because I had friends who came home in their caskets beneath those colors, and to dishonor them and their sacrifice in order to make a political point, as valid as that point may be, is incredibly offensive to me.

You don't have to be protesting against those who sacrificed their lives to be immensely disrespectful of their sacrifice.

You don't have to be against the cause for which they are protesting to take issue with their method of protest.

I understand what it is they are protesting and am sympathetic to their cause, but their way of protesting is alienating me as a potential supporter.

It's not an equal comparison.

In the protesters eyes, the bad guys are the racists (especially the racists in uniform).

In the uber-patriots eyes, the bad guys are the ones who kneel on Sunday.

If I had to pick a villain to get upset about, it's the racist. People who kneel are not hurting the fabric of our society. Racists do.

If your viewpoint is that the protesters are simply "fighting racism", I can see your point.

But it's not that simple.

In many cases, these protests support the (false and dangerous) narrative that law enforcement across the country are wrongfully rounding up innocent minorities, and either putting them in prison for no reason or just murdering them. In St. Louis (where I live), the police officers who are trying to protect the community are being turned into the villains. People like Michael Brown, who assaulted a store owner and attacked a cop, are considered martyrs. Rioters who burn down and destroy are being considered heroes. Meanwhile, the city council last week honored Anthony Smith - the heroin dealer, who was killed after clipping a police officer and leading them on a high speed chase. There are groups in St. Louis right now, who are pushing to have police de-weaponized or to make it illegal for officers to chase a fleeing suspect. These protests are making the place I live MORE VIOLENT. Not less. This weekend, a dozen people were killed in St. Louis (including a 6 year old boy shot in the head), and nobody gives a s**t, because it wasn't a white cop doing the shooting.

And even if you AGREE with the REASON to protest, the METHOD you protest is important.

Even if you go back to the Civil Rights movement, there were conflicting opinions on how to bring about change. Everyone associates the movement with Martin Luther King, who was specific in his goals and was peaceful in everything he did. But there was also the Black Panther Party, Malcolm X and other aspects of the Black Power Movement - who believed in using violence to get their points across. Although the NFL kneeling is obviously peaceful, there are many who find it extremely disrespectful. If other methods had been used, there wouldn't have been such an outcry.

My view is the only way to come together around these social issues is is to have a very uncomfortable and honest conversation between all sides about the concerns, behaviors, and grievances of all parties to reach a common understanding of where to go from here. That's going to take some leadership and from where I sit we have no leaders on any side of the issues capable or willing to do that.

This is a pie in the sky utopia type scenario. It's just not possible. As long as their are people that look different from each other living side by side there will always be some who feel they are being treated differently because of their appearance or race. Even if it is largely other factors at play. Statistics can be skewed and interpreted that way as well . That is really what we have here. It's just something that is impossible to change. Economic factors contribute to these things far more than race.

Although the NFL kneeling is obviously peaceful, there are many who find it extremely disrespectful. If other methods had been used, there wouldn't have been such an outcry.

If "other methods had been used", no one would have noticed and no attention would have been brought to the problem. That was kind of the point of the protests, whether you agree with the concern or not.

You're right. They should listen to Kaeper- douche.

If "other methods had been used", no one would have noticed and no attention would have been brought to the problem. That was kind of the point of the protests, whether you agree with the concern or not.

Kinda the key point here. Peaceful protest is exactly that, designed to get attention but not cause any physical harm. People who say do something else are missing the point.

If your viewpoint is that the protesters are simply "fighting racism", I can see your point.

But it's not that simple.

In many cases, these protests support the (false and dangerous) narrative that law enforcement across the country are wrongfully rounding up innocent minorities, and either putting them in prison for no reason or just murdering them. In St. Louis (where I live), the police officers who are trying to protect the community are being turned into the villains. People like Michael Brown, who assaulted a store owner and attacked a cop, are considered martyrs. Rioters who burn down and destroy are being considered heroes. Meanwhile, the city council last week honored Anthony Smith - the heroin dealer, who was killed after clipping a police officer and leading them on a high speed chase. There are groups in St. Louis right now, who are pushing to have police de-weaponized or to make it illegal for officers to chase a fleeing suspect. These protests are making the place I live MORE VIOLENT. Not less. This weekend, a dozen people were killed in St. Louis (including a 6 year old boy shot in the head), and nobody gives a s**t, because it wasn't a white cop doing the shooting.

And even if you AGREE with the REASON to protest, the METHOD you protest is important.

Even if you go back to the Civil Rights movement, there were conflicting opinions on how to bring about change. Everyone associates the movement with Martin Luther King, who was specific in his goals and was peaceful in everything he did. But there was also the Black Panther Party, Malcolm X and other aspects of the Black Power Movement - who believed in using violence to get their points across. Although the NFL kneeling is obviously peaceful, there are many who find it extremely disrespectful. If other methods had been used, there wouldn't have been such an outcry.

I disagree with much of this. But it's a rational and well-thought-out post. Thank you.

Edited by stony