The Rams 2nd pick will also likely be a late rounder

SaviorPeterman

For the record I have no issue with the Watkins deal despite his coming out party in primetime last night for the Rams. We all know his history here and at least we got something for him.

But make no mistake about it, just like with the Chiefs 1st rounder, this Rams 2nd round pick is also looking like it will in the bottom third of selections because this Ram's team is going to be decent this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak up and win that division since the only real threat is the Seahawks whose offense is terrible and can't score either. Plus the Rams have owned that series in recent years anyway even with much worse teams.

I hope Terry Pegula paid attention last night though watching former Bills on both teams light it up and make plays. Beane and McDermott are not proven commodities and certainly don't deserve a '5 year plan' or whatever BS they are already likely feeding the Pegulas.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record I have no issue with the Watkins deal despite his coming out party in primetime last night for the Rams. We all know his history here and at least we got something for him.

But make no mistake about it, just like with the Chiefs 1st rounder, this Rams 2nd round pick is also looking like it will in the bottom third of selections because this Ram's team is going to be decent this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak up and win that division since the only real threat is the Seahawks whose offense is terrible and can't score either. Plus the Rams have owned that series in recent years anyway even with much worse teams.

I hope Terry Pegula paid attention last night though watching former Bills on both teams light it up and make plays. Beane and McDermott are not proven commodities and certainly don't deserve a '5 year plan' or whatever BS they are already likely feeding the Pegulas.

So you think they win there division? They beat the colts and 49'ers and now they are tops of the NFL? They finish 6-10 best case is 7-9

They knew this might be the case when they made the trades. Particularly for the Chiefs it looked like the probable result. Still good trade bait.

This is no argument against Beane and McDermott getting a long time to prove themselves.

If they look awful, they'll get the hook like Rex. But if they look decent, expect them to get a lot of time, Your "proven commodities" argument is a bit of a red herring. Of course they're not proven. But while this isn't a full rebuild, it's about half or three quarters of one. It's going to take time. Expect the Pegulas to know this. As long as we see incremental improvement and no idiocy or losing the locker room, they stand a good chance of being here a while.

So your answer is if no immediate improved results, blow it up and start over again? Just curious, if Buffalo had signed either Shannahan/Lynch or Joseph, would you then have been OK with a 5 year plan? And why would it have been ok for them?

A 2nd round pick is still a 2nd round pick, no matter how late it is.

This coaching staff should be given every chance to succeed, and a reasonable amount of time.

3 years is a good number to work with, as a start. If things are just not coming together and we've given them 3 seasons to get it done, maybe think about moving on then, but not sooner.

Way too early to be even thinking about the next coaching regime here!

Their success will be directly tied to the QB they take next year and/or Peterman or any other QB they might end up with.

At some point they will have to say QB X is "our guy" and make it happen around that guy.

When they have a few years to do that and don't, get rid of them.

Let's hope they DO get it done and stick around for 15 years.

Continuity with a quality staff is by far the best approach to coaching.

A 2nd rounder is valuable currency, regardless of where it falls on the totem pole.

I don't think NFL front offices put a ton of thought into where in each round the pick might land when making these types of trades.

Sure, you might have a general idea (Cleveland, low 30s, Patriots, high 50s or 60s), but if you just want to get some value for a guy who you'll never resign in FA, who cares?

We are talking about the Rams who barely beat the 49ers.

A 2nd round pick is still a 2nd round pick, no matter how late it is.

This coaching staff should be given every chance to succeed, and a reasonable amount of time.

3 years is a good number to work with, as a start. If things are just not coming together and we've given them 3 seasons to get it done, maybe think about moving on then, but not sooner.

Way too early to be even thinking about the next coaching regime here!

Their success will be directly tied to the QB they take next year and/or Peterman or any other QB they might end up with.

At some point they will have to say QB X is "our guy" and make it happen around that guy.

When they have a few years to do that and don't, get rid of them.

Let's hope they DO get it done and stick around for 15 years.

Continuity with a quality staff is by far the best approach to coaching.

Completely agree.

Some people can downplay it all they want, but the Bills still have 6 picks in the first three rounds of next year's draft.

So the Rams beat the Colts and 49ers....now they're legit.

They had more wins that us, remember Bills beat the Jets are another bad loss from the wheels coming off.

Not saying the Rams are a SB squad but they have the talent to win a lot of games this year. And still think the defense will be much better this because it's not the norm for a Wade Phillips defense to give up almost 40 points.

My point is that not matter how you feel about the Watkins deal, it's not like we got the better end especially since Gaines is a FA after the season and we might just waste the 2nd round pick in a trade or draft another horrible player which has been the norm with our 2nd rounders in recent years.