Extreme Hypothetical

Yeah. But Pegula's ownership status is in jeopardy considering that he also owns the Sabres. Can't own two teams.

Since he owned the Sabres when he bought the Bills, I think the NFL is okay with Pegula owning both of teams ... and I don't think that anybody except an NFL team owner can question the NFL by-laws pertaining to who can own teams ... in case you were thinking of suing.

As somebody mentioned, the AHL Buffalo Bisons were replaced by the NHL Buffalo Sabres in 1970. Both were owned by the Knox family incidentally. In addition to the NBA Buffalo Braves, the Buffalo Bisons AAA baseball team left in the 1960s or 1970s IIRC. They were replaced with an AA franchise for a while but then the Rich family resurrected the Bisons on the AAA level in the 1980s.

Yeah. But Pegula's ownership status is in jeopardy considering that he also owns the Sabres. Can't own two teams.

Linkys? Evidence that his ownership status is in jeopardy?

Every team owner in the NFL got to vote on Pegula as new owner of the Bills. He was well-known as the owner of the Sabers at that time.

I think that ship has sailed

A friend and I were talking the other day about what we would have done if Pegula hadn't bought and saved the Bills. Hypothetically, if The Bills would have left town, and changed their identity completely, (name, logo, colors, jersey, etc), would you have rooted for a CFL expansion version of the Buffalo Bills, same logo, name, same or slightly modified jerseys/colors, would you still consider yourself a Bills fan? Root hard? Season tickets?

EDIT: What if the ownership group was led by some combination of Kelly/Bruce/Andre/Thurman?

No, I wouldnt. I like the CFL. A Buffalo team would be poorly supported, if at all. I don't think I would go a lot. The whole Sunday thing makes it possible to attend games, that goes out the window with the CFL.

I speculated at the time, that perhaps UB Football would get some share of the Bills support, and perhaps their program would grow and fill the void.

Linkys? Evidence that his ownership status is in jeopardy?

Every team owner in the NFL got to vote on Pegula as new owner of the Bills. He was well-known as the owner of the Sabers at that time.

I think that ship has sailed

It isn't a well known by-law. Think about when Pegula took over. AP was going on, deflategate. It wouldn't surprise me if he just let it slide. But Roger probably keeps that card in his back pocket, so hopefully Pegs stays on his good side.

No, that's still funny. You probably don't get the humor. Peter Pan guy is like the show Frasier or Dennis Miller.

Exactly. High brow comedy. Like The Big Bang Theory. You gotta be smart to get it.

It isn't a well known by-law. Think about when Pegula took over. AP was going on, deflategate. It wouldn't surprise me if he just let it slide. But Roger probably keeps that card in his back pocket, so hopefully Pegs stays on his good side.

You really need to review the minutes from the 2006 owners' meeting. They set a mileage radius which would preclude double ownership of professional franchises within a certain distance unless the population allowed a per capita allocation of ticket sales. That's why Pegula was scouting land in Hamilton Ontario a few years ago. Anyway, it's somewhere out there if you try netcrawler or another search engine.

You really need to review the minutes from the 2006 owners' meeting. They set a mileage radius which would preclude double ownership of professional franchises within a certain distance unless the population allowed a per capita allocation of ticket sales. That's why Pegula was scouting land in Hamilton Ontario a few years ago. Anyway, it's somewhere out there if you try netcrawler or another search engine.

I asked Jeeves. He told me that the league allowed MLB, NBA, ICC Cricket, and Arena Football. NHL, and NLL owners were explicitly banned. As outlined in the 2009 NFL By-Laws.

Kim hyphenates her last name with her maiden name and takes over the Bills solely. Terry keeps the Sabres.

For the record, had the Bills left...they AND the NFL would be dead to me. I've stated that on more than one occasion. Hasn't/won't change. I think that the majority (not all) of Bills fans feel the same. There is a unique connection between the WNY community and this team which most fan bases don't share or even begin to fathom.

Edited by ExWNYer

He clearly can own multiple teams in same city. And other sports teams in other non NFL cities.

He could own the SA Spurs right now if he wished. But not the Dallas Mavs as they have an NFL team.

He could own a CFL team in Buffalo and could own any CFL team in any city that doesn't have a NFL team.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/nfl-has-cleared-kroenke-of-cross-ownership-issue/article_d9376241-433c-57dd-8364-b63fbc757274.html

I agree with this.... I think he can own both teams.

I pretty much gave up watching the NBA when the Buffalo Braves left. Just wasn't the same.

If the Bills left, I would try to be a Steelers fan since that is what my wife follows. It just wouldn't be the same though.

I know I wouldn't follow them with as much heart as I do the Bills. Maybe I'd give up watching football altogether and instead spend all my free time helping to make the world a better place.

Thankfully, I don't have to make such crucial decisions for another couple of years.

Edited by richardb1952

I asked Jeeves. He told me that the league allowed MLB, NBA, ICC Cricket, and Arena Football. NHL, and NLL owners were explicitly banned. As outlined in the 2009 NFL By-Laws.

Let me guess. You're still fighting the Civil War, and in you're alternative universe, the South wins. Amirite?

A friend and I were talking the other day about what we would have done if Pegula hadn't bought and saved the Bills. Hypothetically, if The Bills would have left town, and changed their identity completely, (name, logo, colors, jersey, etc), would you have rooted for a CFL expansion version of the Buffalo Bills, same logo, name, same or slightly modified jerseys/colors, would you still consider yourself a Bills fan? Root hard? Season tickets?

EDIT: What if the ownership group was led by some combination of Kelly/Bruce/Andre/Thurman?

I would only be interested in the NFL as a fantasy football owner. As for watching football, I have the F.S.U. Seminoles to root for, so college football for me.

I heard there was at least one other local buyer that basically stepped aside when Pegs bid was made formal.

Ralphs trust did not have to sell to any of the groups(JBJ or Prez Trump) and if Pegs didn't want the team or backed out they could have went back and asked for new proposals.

The team was not leaving Buffalo.