billsfan_34

@KMart_BN

McDermott on Dareus' low snap count:

- DTs are valuable

- need "best 11" on field to win

- MD's hip not a factor

(MD's cap # is $16M)

@mikerodak

Bills coach Sean McDermott on Marcell Dareus' relatively low snap count in Week 1 (59%) compared to his team-high $16 million cap number: "I don't think about those things. I think about what's going to give us the best chance to win a football game, and that's keeping players fresh up front."

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd like to see Marcel's pay per snap. it's probably triple what a normal person makes per year every time the QB says HIKE

No snap data for 2011 available through Football Outsiders so I'll ignore his base (and 25% of his signing bonus for some perception of balance).

Cash earnings up to 2016 - $55,164,529.

Divided by 3462 snaps = $15,934 per snap.

Edited by Blokestradamus

No snap data for 2011 available through Football Outsiders so I'll ignore his base (and 25% of his signing bonus for some perception of balance).

Not too shabby! On a 3 and out he makes about the median income for a family in buffalo

His post count has nothing to do with his knowledge of football.

His post count has direct bearing on his knowledge of this message board, which was the subject of his snark:

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/196187-oh-marcell/?p=4529297

"The lack of football acumen in some of these posts is astounding... until you remember that this is TBD we are talking about. "

Put a period and end the post after "astounding" and I have no beef with it - it's a fact, lack of football acumen occurs here and plenty of it in this thread.

But so does some quite astounding knowledge of and analysis of football. Don't come in here with 62 posts and snark about the lack of football knowledge on this board.

i think people are confusing Schwartz's 4-3 defense to the current one. Just because they are both 4-3 doesn't mean they are the same defense.

This.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Did you account for the pay and pro rated bonus he didn't receive whilst suspended?

But cha know, Coach McWrestler has it quite right - he can not think about how much $$ a player is making, he has to just make what he sees as the best use of the players to help the team win

Ah, theres "Board Gods" now- interesting.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just quoting Cherrybone's line

There are definitely some posters who have been here a while and know a lot about football. No "Gods" I've seen.

Some of the name-calling and crap in this thread is borderline for a mod warning, but that has nothing to do with opinions and everything to do with behaving on the K end of K-12

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just quoting Cherrybone's line

There are definitely some posters who have been here a while and know a lot about football. No "Gods" I've seen.

Some of the name-calling and crap in this thread is borderline for a mod warning, but that has nothing to do with opinions and everything to do with behaving on the K end of K-12

Im just jokin around- and I never ever strike first with berating others. That said, many on here think that it is Ok to do that so I stick up for myself. If people cant handle that, oh well, they should think before they engage in that kind of behavior. The best thing about this place, everyone is an expert and when they dont agree with you they point out as such, thump their war chest (which 99 percent have never been to war and im willing to bet 75 percent have never played organized football) and are quick to start hammering away. At times, it is ridiculous.

Back to my original post- when we have a supposed "stud DT", at his level of pay and draft position, many expect him to at least make game changing plays but that didnt happen last Sunday. Sure, he ate space and took on double blocks- the majority in this league playing DT do. I really want to see this guy make plays, unfortunately his work ethic, immaturity, and smug attitude really gets in the way of what he really could be.

Im just jokin around- and I never ever strike first with berating others.

Back to my original post- when we have a supposed "stud DT", at his level of pay and draft position, many expect him to at least make game changing plays but that didnt happen last Sunday. Sure, he ate space and took on double blocks- the majority in this league playing DT do. I really want to see this guy make plays, unfortunately his work ethic, immaturity, and smug attitude really gets in the way of what he really could be.

In fact, I wasn't calling you out specifically. I just remember thinking "hmmm, borderline" about a few posts. Can't even remember whose, not gonna go back and look. Our mods do a great job of keeping this board civil (Thank you Mods!) They do need some help from all of us not retaliating in kind to keep it civil and "but look at what HE did...but HE did first!" doesn't play well even in KG

Back to your original post, McWrestler (he wins a few more, and has the team playing smart and disciplined football and I'll stop calling him that) is 100% dead on that he CAN NOT think about what Dareus is getting paid.

Not at all. He's not the one who drafted him, he's not the one who signed him to that contract.

The only thing that matters, that ought to matter, to McWrestler is what role, in HIS defense, he asks Dareus to fill on a given week. And the only reasonable metric to judge Dareus by, is how well he performs relative to the role he's asked to fill that week. Which none of us know exactly, though some can make a pretty educated guess.

That might mean he isn't "making plays" you want to see, but if you know your football, your disappointment needs to be split between McWrestler/Frazier for the role they're assigning him, and Dareus - largely on the former. If they're asking him to eat space and soak up blocks and he does, he had a good game. If he broke discipline on his role and made a couple splashy sacks and 4 tackles, but also allowed the Bills to be gashed for a couple long runs, he would be having a bad game (albeit one that might keep you quiet and look better to fans).

Im just jokin around- and I never ever strike first with berating others. That said, many on here think that it is Ok to do that so I stick up for myself. If people cant handle that, oh well, they should think before they engage in that kind of behavior. The best thing about this place, everyone is an expert and when they dont agree with you they point out as such, thump their war chest (which 99 percent have never been to war and im willing to bet 75 percent have never played organized football) and are quick to start hammering away. At times, it is ridiculous.

We should start a poll for this. Lol

I've never played football at all and I have no problem saying so. I also think I have some decent football knowledge.

I don't see what "war" has to do with it at all. As Marv Levy said he had fought in a war and football and war were in no way comparable.

Wasn't planning on joining the argument, just pointing out random percentages.

There are actually a lot of football minds that have never played the sport, but have a lot of insight. My playing days ended after high school, but while I played I never looked into the analytics side of it. I found interest in the analytics side of it while playing fantasy football. I think the same can go for the most of us here. Before the individual breakdown of fantasy players I didn't know what YAC, or QBR was. When I played all I cared about was hitting the other guy in front of me, and understanding the playbook. My ability to read an offense was based on instincts, and had nothing to do with analytics. That was the coaches job. We just did what we were told and communicated with each other on the field if we saw a guard leaning to his left, or a RB staring down his "potential" running lane.

And, as for the war thing, it actually has a lot to do with working as a team. I can't clear a building by myself, I need a few more guys to do that. We can break the "mount team" down further and compare it to individual positions, but you can Google that. The principle of war has nothing to do with football, but military doctrine and football have a lot in common. Now, this is all my perspective on it and could differ from a lot of Vets, but a simple observation from my part while serving.

I thought Dareus handled himself pretty well in the BB.com interview. Can't say the same for the media asking the questions.

Totally agree. The media was embarrassing in that interview. They tried everything they could to get him to say something they could use to write their predetermined story. But Dareus did not bite.

Some of these reporters just don't know what to do with themselves if the Bills are not acting disfunctional...

Totally agree. The media was embarrassing in that interview. They tried everything they could to get him to say something they could use to write their predetermined story. But Dareus did not bite.

Some of these reporters just don't know what to do with themselves if the Bills are not acting disfunctional...

I get that they have a job to do and sometimes you have to press to get a true answer. There is a point though that the audience whom you're supposed to be getting the answers for - reject that type of probing and now it's just what you want to do as a media member. The media in general no longer an advocate for the public they report to.

Get the heck out of the room Vic and stop trying to be a negative force on the team I love. You're sure as heck not doing what I want you to. Even if you hate Dareus - after a division win with a first time head coach in the first game, do you really want the media in there screwing with a player like that in the locker room?

Edited by White Linen

Wasn't planning on joining the argument, just pointing out random percentages.

There are actually a lot of football minds that have never played the sport, but have a lot of insight. My playing days ended after high school, but while I played I never looked into the analytics side of it. I found interest in the analytics side of it while playing fantasy football. I think the same can go for the most of us here. Before the individual breakdown of fantasy players I didn't know what YAC, or QBR was. When I played all I cared about was hitting the other guy in front of me, and understanding the playbook. My ability to read an offense was based on instincts, and had nothing to do with analytics. That was the coaches job. We just did what we were told and communicated with each other on the field if we saw a guard leaning to his left, or a RB staring down his "potential" running lane.

And, as for the war thing, it actually has a lot to do with working as a team. I can't clear a building by myself, I need a few more guys to do that. We can break the "mount team" down further and compare it to individual positions, but you can Google that. The principle of war has nothing to do with football, but military doctrine and football have a lot in common. Now, this is all my perspective on it and could differ from a lot of Vets, but a simple observation from my part while serving.

Your perspective is pretty spot on - thanks for your service. I served in the Marines for 21 years and my last 6-7 years I was in the executive/command side of things so I got to learn how everything tied together. My statement about thumpin their war chest was merely me pointing out that its funny to me how people act so tough behind a keyboard and the majority most likely havent done anything very strenuous in life. Anyways, this thread is really about Marcell- I hope he starts to play at a high level- my original obs was he wasnt where he should be. Hey, its just 1 game and a long season- cheerz!

People please....once the roster is set and the season has begun it make ZERO difference how much anyone is being paid. They sign a contract by the season, not by the game. The coaches can't change the salaries, and they really don't care. They play the players that are making plays and winning games. If the team is winning while Marcel is sitting on the bench, it is no different than if the team is winning while Marcel is on the field.

And he didn't even really eat space or get doubled all that much, either. Looked like he was singled 2/3 of the time. And notably, on McCown's QB sneak touchdown, that was right over Dareus, who got bulldozed a good 3 yards off the line.

On the other hand, the Jets didn't run the ball at him either. So it's not like he was useless. But he sure as hell didn't play like an elite player you'd expect to be anchoring the line, either.