Bills "can't wait to unleash Tyrod Taylor"

HappyDays

How much did we score in garbage time compared to other teams? Blake Bortes has only thrown 5 career TDs with the lead (or something like that). The Bills didn't have a disproportionate amount of "garbage time."

The QB gets credit for scoring and negative credit for giving up points. The defense gets credit for taking the ball away just like they get blame for giving up points. It's not complicated. That's why TD to INT ratio is a thing. That's why turnover differential is a thing.

Taylor had 23 TDs last season, Bortles had 26. So what's the difference between the 10th and 25th ranked offenses by PPG in Buffalo and Jacksonville, respectively? Hint: it's not QB play.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear that he's going to earn the nickname RG IV.

If they just let him "do his thing," he's dead meat. And just coming off of concussion protocol, I find this to be irresponsible, if it really is the plan.

Three points :

• Taylor has been running successfully for two seasons now, and has missed two games - and those off a penalized tackle. Dead meat? He seems to have a pretty decent record of staying healthy.
  • Whenever this shtick comes-up, someone always points out there's no statistical evidence running QBs suffer injury more than pure pocket passers. I'm doing so here.
  • A lot of Taylor's most vocal haters are now suddenly "concerned" about his health. They don't seem to realize what a sordid spectacle they're making of themselves.

gotta start my post with a disclaimer that I like tyrod.

Tyrod' s best comparison in thebleague is Alex Smith. Smith STARTED for 5 full seasons before turning thebcorner in his 6th year. So please stop with the it's his 7th year he'll never get "it." Watching Smith on Thursday he looked an awful lot like TT vs. Miami.

Tyrod has made 2 straight pro bowls as an alternate. Yes I will fully admit to the alternate part. you know what the 3rd alternate is? The 6th or 7th best qb in the conference. That means there were 8 or 9 qbs just from the afc that didn't make it.

Tyrod is going into his 3rd year as a starter. This is his put up or shut up year. He knows it as do all the fans. This is his shot and I for one hope he has the light come on fully and he explodes this year. That is the best outcome for the team and it's fans. The qb problem could be solved with all of that draft capital to build with.

If he doesn't then hey they have that capital to get a high rated qb. However speaking of the draft if the Bills draft their guy next year and he goes for 47tds and 12 ints in his first 2 years, wouldn't we all be excited? I think the answer is a resounding yes however for some reason TT doing the same thing isn't enough for many....

You could tell drafting Mahomes lit a fire under Alex Smiths @ss. He threw downield and pushed the ball more than usual. I just hope we draft a qb high and dont get lazy and sign a fa like cousins or smith.

Taylor had 23 TDs last season, Bortles had 26. So what's the difference between the 10th and 25th ranked offenses by PPG in Buffalo and Jacksonville, respectively? Hint: it's not QB play.

We have a gppd running game is what that says. Tyrods a part of that success too, he had 500 on the ground last year

gotta start my post with a disclaimer that I like tyrod.

Tyrod' s best comparison in thebleague is Alex Smith. Smith STARTED for 5 full seasons before turning thebcorner in his 6th year. So please stop with the it's his 7th year he'll never get "it." Watching Smith on Thursday he looked an awful lot like TT vs. Miami.

Tyrod has made 2 straight pro bowls as an alternate. Yes I will fully admit to the alternate part. you know what the 3rd alternate is? The 6th or 7th best qb in the conference. That means there were 8 or 9 qbs just from the afc that didn't make it.

Tyrod is going into his 3rd year as a starter. This is his put up or shut up year. He knows it as do all the fans. This is his shot and I for one hope he has the light come on fully and he explodes this year. That is the best outcome for the team and it's fans. The qb problem could be solved with all of that draft capital to build with.

If he doesn't then hey they have that capital to get a high rated qb. However speaking of the draft if the Bills draft their guy next year and he goes for 47tds and 12 ints in his first 2 years, wouldn't we all be excited? I think the answer is a resounding yes however for some reason TT doing the same thing isn't enough for many....

....agree with most of your assessment.....Alex has prospered in Andy's system....but Andy through a curve ball at BB on Thursday with some spread stuff....Alex responded but BB did not......so Alex can adapt......BTW when he was a UFA, OBD passed on talking to him, saying he was a "lateral move from Fitzpatrick"....of course you want TT to succeed and Dennison hopefully is the guy to design an offense that fits his style, but this is probably his last Buffalo audition to show he stays or moves on and if he moves on, it will be as a backup IMO........he has the physical tools, augmented by his wheels, but still struggles with processing the entire field in <5 seconds......Peterman on the other hand does not have the same physical tools, but initially has shown a propensity to be able to process the entire field.....not sure if that MENTAL aspect of the game is teachable or trainable...so TT is here under contract for 2017 and here's to watching it play out hoping for the best....it would be a WIN-WIN IMO.....Bills prosper and the kid realizes his dream of a perennial/productive NFL starter...forget this franchise label crap....consistently 10+ W's per season works for me regardless of personal stats, Pro Bowl, Cereal Bowl, Toilet Bowl, etc........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I do think (and this is not me bashing him) he would be a high quality backup for most teams. Letting him go out there and get abused every time he bails on a play and runs the ball - to me - is pretty low character, which is awfully ironic.

You want to see what trolling looks like? Claiming you "believe" McDermott is going to use Taylor much more as a runner than last season - because TT is incapable of throwing the ball - and you're "concerned" about his health. There's not a single part of that which isn't obviously crap.

Also : If a supporter of Taylor says he's a "franchise quarterback" that's a sign the supporter isn't serious. Taylor still has way too much to prove. You want to see a sign that a critic of Taylor isn't serious? Saying TT is at most a backup. Even if this buffalo chip is sprinkled with sugar (adding he's a "high quality backup" - though not for all teams; only for most teams), it's just more trolling. Taylor's floor is somewhere near the top of the bottom third of starting QBs in the NFL. That's true today; it will be true tomorrow. He will remain a starter, on the Bills or elsewhere.

Edited by grb

Laughable.... Yes I want TT unleashed too, but they traded their best asset and have shown minimal support for TT.

Watkins was the perfect receiver for TT and he's gone.

Expect more of the same defensive (offense) with 2-3 good drives a game and a lot of lousy low yardage games.

Hope so. But why get rid of Watkins. His deep ball is one of the best in the NFL.

Made zero sense to me. All you had to do is maintain the offense and fix the defense and you had chance at the playoffs. Theyve pulled a reverse Rex. Brought in a system that fits the defense and one that doesnt fit the offense.

Made zero sense to me. All you had to do is maintain the offense and fix the defense and you had chance at the playoffs. Theyve pulled a reverse Rex. Brought in a system that fits the defense and one that doesnt fit the offense.

They don't want a "chance at the playoffs." They want long term sustained success and eventually a Super Bowl. Getting out of the cap hell Whaley left us in was priority #1.

Laughable.... Yes I want TT unleashed too, but they traded their best asset and have shown minimal support for TT.

Watkins was the perfect receiver for TT and he's gone.

Expect more of the same defensive (offense) with 2-3 good drives a game and a lot of lousy low yardage games.

...if Sammy did not have the injury set back, he is still here IMO.....but it is the nature of the NFL beast..........the amount of money at stake to gamble on injury recurrence, strictly a business decision, said move on whether right, wrong or indifferent......history will tell......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Three points :

• Taylor has been running successfully for two seasons now, and has missed two games - and those off a penalized tackle. Dead meat? He seems to have a pretty decent record of staying healthy.
  • Whenever this shtick comes-up, someone always points out there's no statistical evidence running QBs suffer injury more than pure pocket passers. I'm doing so here.
  • A lot of Taylor's most vocal haters are now suddenly "concerned" about his health. They don't seem to realize what a sordid spectacle they're making of themselves.

There's a difference between not wanting someone to be your favorite team's starting QB and being concerned about the health of an individual.

Not understanding that would make one a sordid spectacle.

..anybody have a Cliff Notes version of what this "unleashing TT" actually means?.......5,000+ passing yds like Brees?......50 passing TD's like Peyton?.......1,000 yds rushing combined with either one of the aforementioned?......I don't know which way to turn with this professed "unleashing" or if it means we have imprisoned this "leashed giant" up to this point...........

So Rex Ryan never unleashed Taylor, all those open WR's and poor field vision were all Ryan's fault. Taylors highest yardage games will be vs the Jets but I still don't see him passing for over 250 at any point during the season.

See this is the same crap for 21 years. Bills fans fighting to make crap QB's better than they are.

We have fielded crap for the entire time TT is no different.

It's past time to cut the crap and get a legit QUARTERBACK in here via using a high draft pick

I pray hard Beane finally does this and, unlike every previous GM, finally addresses the most important position. In pro sports.

Edited by KellyToughII

The Bills were 7th in the 15 games that Tyrod played. Bortles played an extra game and turned it over more than twice as often. They racked up garbage time points like nobody's business.

If you don't think QB play is important in points per game I don't know what to tell you. They touch the ball on every play.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

..anybody have a Cliff Notes version of what this "unleashing TT" actually means?.......5,000+ passing yds like Brees?......50 passing TD's like Peyton?.......1,000 yds rushing combined with either one of the aforementioned?......I don't know which way to turn with this professed "unleashing" or if it means we have imprisoned this "leashed giant" up to this point...........

It's nothing more than pure crap to get butts in the seats, or our QB coach is an idiot.

No one has been chained, TT is a wr/ rb who can throw a deep ball and that is what we have allowed him to do

See this is the same crap for 21 years. Bills fans fighting to make crap QB's better than they are.

It's past time to cut the crap and get a legit QUARTERBACK in here via using a high draft pick

I pray hard Beane finally does this and, unlike every previous GM, finally addresses the most important position. In pro sports.

...that would be April 2018....so what do we do in the interim, forfeit?.....let's hear your 2017 SOLUTION before we mail it in via FED EX.....yip...yap...yip...yap....YAWN.....

This isn't news. It was obvious in preseason to anyone that has a clue that they were working on stuff. He will play football this week. He will move around and try to be a playmaker. The hope was to clean up some fundamentals without sacrificing his playmaking ability (just sacrificing his playmakers). They took the preseason to try to clean that up.

Ha! Do the obvious observations in pre-season include things like having plenty of time to throw on certain plays, finding a wide open receiver, and then missing that receiver by 3 yards? What was he working on there? His EJ impersonation?

His past obvious flaws remain his current obvious flaws.

Tyrod must be considered mediocre at best until he proves otherwise.

We'll see.

The Bills were 7th in the 15 games that Tyrod played. Bortles played an extra game and turned it over more than twice as often. They racked up garbage time points like nobody's business.

If you don't think QB play is important in points per game I don't know what to tell you. They touch the ball on every play.

3rd most offensive TDs when Tyrod played and he's the only player that we've lost every game he's been out, including 2 easily winnable games. He has more touches than any other player on the offense, obviously. People who don't want to give him credit for the offense's success and wins are being disingenuous. Edited by HappyDays

Yeah its the fans fault the Bills haven't had an elite QB since Kelly.

If TT needs Sammy and only Sammy.....

what does that really say?

...to me?....uh oh.......processing the entire field in <5 seconds is mental capacity....either you can or you can't.........spreading the wealth among open guys more often than not can net you the "W".....locking on probably paves your way to the "L"......easy read for most secondaries ala it is in "the eyes stupid".....

If Tyrod stinks out the joint and the Bills lose, then what?

Seriously? The answer is obvious and has been mentioned money money money many many times. The better question, especially for someone like you who seems to have some major issues when it comes to TT, this is what happens if T team plays really well? And this team is winning? And we even *gasp* make the playoffs?

What do you think we should do then?

Sounds to me that they plan on letting TT take off and run a lot.

I think that makes sense.

The best case scenario for this offense is to have great run blocking and let Shady run, run, and run some more. Let TT move around and make plays by either running or finding receivers open when outside the pocket...he stinks in the pocket trying to decipher what is happening otherwise.

It's gimmicky, and it will be countered, but this may work for a few games.

Expecting anything else than what you've seen from Taylor as a passer is purely wishful thinking...it just is what it is.

...that would be April 2018....so what do we do in the interim, forfeit?.....let's hear your 2017 SOLUTION before we mail it in via FED EX.....yip...yap...yip...yap....YAWN.....

Play Peterman. Hell the kid already performs better than the million excuses why he is still developing in year 7 TT.

But you guy keep making excuses for pure crap, wannabe QB's

Play Peterman. Hell the kid already performs better than the million excuses why he is still developing in year 7 TT.

But you guy keep making excuses for pure crap, wannabe QB's

You know its posts like this that just keep this going

Tyrod Taylor is not a "crap wannabee QB".....not even close.....he just isnt a franchise qb and we might have the opportunity to pluck one from this next years draft

As much as people want to dog on the talent of this team, I don't think the precipitous drop really happened that everyone says happened. LOL is the same or maybe better with Dawkins. TE is the same or better with Thomas. RB is just gonna run through McCoy and he still looks spectacular. As critical as everyone has of getting rid of those other RBs, who cares? they could all or anyone of them easily be as good or better than either of our last two great number to RBs.

That leaves WR, and this position is going to totally depend upon the health of its top 2 WRs in Jones and Matthews. And I actually think that Powell coming back after his four-game suspension will help, too. He and taped are the only two wide receivers Taylor has worked with before. Outside of them you have Holmes, who has some good NFL experience. But the simple fact is that Watkins and Wood messed 11 combined games in 2016. That's a big deal. Only the Chargers had their number one and number two wide receivers miss more combined games. We had Goodwin, Tate, Powell, and Justin Hunter out there as our primary "weapons" on multiple occasions. Our WR corps is better than those guys.

Combine all that with an OC who has worked with TT before and will hopefully run a system to maximize his strengths and maybe everyone should be prepared to just be surprised :flirt:

You know its posts like this that just keep this going

Tyrod Taylor is not a "crap wannabee QB".....not even close.....he just isnt a franchise qb and we might have the opportunity to pluck one from this next years draft

Yep. This should end the thread. But it won't.

3rd most offensive TDs when Tyrod played and he's the only player that we've lost every game he's been out, including 2 easily winnable games. He has more touches than any other player on the offense, obviously. People who don't want to give him credit for the offense's success and wins are being disingenuous.

Good info Happy Days. I didn't realize that it was that high.

The best case scenario for this offense is to have great run blocking and let Shady run, run, and run some more. Let TT move around and make plays by either running or finding receivers open when outside the pocket...he stinks in the pocket trying to decipher what is happening otherwise.

It's gimmicky, and it will be countered, but this may work for a few games.

Expecting anything else than what you've seen from Taylor as a passer is purely wishful thinking...it just is what it is.

At least you set up your excuse if Taylor has really good games to start the season. So tell us, what's your watermark for it no longer being a "gimmick?"

If Taylor is playing well, by which game will you concede that he deserves credit? Game four? Five? Which one? because I think it's pretty obvious to everyone what your argument will be if Taylor plays well this week and or next week and or the week after that.

At least you set up your excuse if Taylor has really good games to start the season. So tell us, what's your watermark for it no longer being a "gimmick?"

If Taylor is playing well, by which game will you concede that he deserves credit? Game four? Five? Which one? because I think it's pretty obvious to everyone what your argument will be if Taylor plays well this week and or next week and or the week after that.

Let's all just keep arguing over hypotheticals. It'll at least pass the time until things actually start to matter. Then you two can go at it even harder!

Good info Happy Days. I didn't realize that it was that high.

In the interests of honesty I looked it up and we were actually tied for 5th after week 16 so my memory was off a bit.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/offensive-touchdowns-per-game?date=2016-12-25

Tied with Dallas and Oakland. The teams above us in order were Green Bay, New England, New Orleans, and Atlanta. Pretty good company.

Let's all just keep arguing over hypotheticals. It'll at least pass the time until things actually start to matter. Then you two can go at it even harder!

Oh how I've missed you :wub:

In the interests of honesty I looked it up and we were actually tied for 5th after week 16 so my memory was off a bit.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/offensive-touchdowns-per-game?date=2016-12-25

Tied with Dallas and Oakland. The teams above us in order were Green Bay, New England, New Orleans, and Atlanta. Pretty good company.

Interesting

Edited by transplantbillsfan

...IF he is playing well within Dennison's system and is leading a diversified running and passing game offense where EITHER can be called upon to get the "W", OF COURSE he deserves credit.....only an azzclown or hater would demand PERFECTION..gonna be hiccups.......even if his efforts show he is mastering a diversified/balanced offense per Dennison's plan, and an "L" results, we probably lost one or both of the other phases as in defense or special teams which would hardly be his fault..and let's not forget this is GAME ONE...Brady lost game one to Blfo 31-0 in 2003 and was the 2004 SB MVP.....Rodgers ran the table last year after 4-6 start......obviously NO comparison to TT but strange things happen in this league....the prolific Trent Dilfer with a ring?.......as I said, strange things happen IMO....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Well, it depends how he's doing it. If it's by the means I suspect like rollouts and option plays, then I'll need to see it work for at least six games before I will believe it's something sustainable. The league has proven it can and will figure out that type of offense, so call me skeptical of it ever being a longterm answer...this would go for any QB or any team FWIW.

If he's standing in the pocket and delivering passes with anticipation and using the entire field and making reads, then I'll buy in early.

I'm not setting up any excuses...the CoT has plenty for us all anyway.

.....I hope the kid succeeds for the good of the team and realizes his dream to be a steady (screw the franchise moniker crap) NFL starter.....he could probably throw for 4,000+ yds, 40+ TD's and run for 750 but the haters will still hate..missing the playoffs with those lofty numbers would STILL be his sole fault....that is the TBD way and was the same on the defunct BBMB.....con-joined twins of negativity.....ain't gonna defeat the hate mindset no matter what....he's here for 2017 so roll with it......the haters will expose themselves.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy