Hurricane Irma General: Potential NFL Impacts (Updated!)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's part of life. You make the most of what you are dealt. That is what they are doing here. Every team will face some kind of setback at some point this season. Usually it is due to injuries. Sometimes it is due to more rare things. I would rather deal with not having a week off than deal with a key player getting injured. Doesn't seem like it is that big of a deal. Some disadvantage exists perhaps - not that big of one in my opinion.

I think it is a huge disadvantage. You talk about injuries, which are a major part of the game. The bye week is most important so that players can recover from injuries and rest to prevent them. That option is gone for these two teams. It'll be interesting to see if they have more injuries later in the season than the other 30 teams. Again, I am not complaining and don't feel bad for the stinkin' fish, but I see it as a clear, major disadvantage.

Neutral site means lost ticket sales for the home opener. There's no way they're forfeiting that money.

They invest a lot of money into these players and this puts them at risk. If anyone from the stink' fish's front office admits that, they'll take a beating for sure. The Bills picked up their game and moved to Detroit a few years back, losing a lot of cash. Not sure if there were other options, but they did it and the franchise didn't go broke. I would hope they'd put competitive reasoning ahead of financial considerations.

Yep. Heck look at last year. Matthew was going to destroy Central Florida ripping right accross it and stalling ala Harvey. Last minute turned up the coast with the eye never making landfall.

The eye of Matthew came within 25 miles of my old apartment in Daytona Beach. It was supposed to make a direct landfall in that area, and luckily it turned at the last minute.

This storm will cause far more damage than Matthew if it takes the current trajectory.

Irma does look to be bad. I live in PR which is scheduled to get rocked tomorrow afternoon - Thursday afternoon. State of emergency already declared. Power authority says power could be out for weeks/months!!!

I evacuated to south florida for the week. And then ditching South Florida on Friday to come up to the home opener. I am one step ahead of this one. However, I am nervous for my house/possessions and friends down there. I'll provide the local PR update after I hear what damage has been done.

Glad you got away, and good luck!

My coworker is from PR and has family there. Sorry to say, it's not good.

Most Phins /Bucs fans live in the Florida area and likely at this point the last thing they are thinking about is Sundays game.

they were talking this morning about the neutral site and was brought up how the players would probably rather be home with their families than away some place, and maybe not able to get back afterwards too.

It does suck for the Phins. I know they would have lost home field advantage and ticket sales, but jeez, effectively having to take a first week bye is rough.

Of course, I'm not complaining, but it it happened to the Bills I would be screaming bloody murder.

They invest a lot of money into these players and this puts them at risk. If anyone from the stink' fish's front office admits that, they'll take a beating for sure. The Bills picked up their game and moved to Detroit a few years back, losing a lot of cash. Not sure if there were other options, but they did it and the franchise didn't go broke. I would hope they'd put competitive reasoning ahead of financial considerations.

my matchup week 1 is against someone currently starting Ajayi. I hope they don't pay attention to news.

Evans, Winston, and Parker now on a bye. My opponent gets Zeke for week 1. Rough match ups now for what should have been an easy win.

My QB choices are Taylor or Eli through waivers.

Need a WR. Thielen or some other scrub, Goodwin gona catch a bomb for me!?

It does suck for the Phins. I know they would have lost home field advantage and ticket sales, but jeez, effectively having to take a first week bye is rough.

Of course, I'm not complaining, but it it happened to the Bills I would be screaming bloody murder.

did someone mention London is week 10 for the Fish?

I think it is a huge disadvantage. You talk about injuries, which are a major part of the game. The bye week is most important so that players can recover from injuries and rest to prevent them. That option is gone for these two teams. It'll be interesting to see if they have more injuries later in the season than the other 30 teams. Again, I am not complaining and don't feel bad for the stinkin' fish, but I see it as a clear, major disadvantage.

The NFL operated for decades without any byes. Yes, it's a disadvantage when the rest of the NFL has one but it's not that big of a deal

Evans, Winston, and Parker now on a bye. My opponent gets Zeke for week 1. Rough match ups now for what should have been an easy win.

My QB choices are Taylor or Eli through waivers.

Need a WR. Thielen or some other scrub, Goodwin gona catch a bomb for me!?

Winston is my QB. I have to play Sam Bradford now. Gross but on the bright side, I'm not in the middle of a hurricane so Edited by YoloinOhio

Winston is my QB. I have to play Sam Bradford now. Gross but on the bright side, I'm not in the middle of a hurricane so

And the paths I'm seeing look more and more like a direct strike on Miami instead of up the Gulf coast. Hopefully it keep moving east and they dodge most of this mess.

And who do the Dolphins play week 12..afetr they should have had a bye?

Even God wants the Pats to go 19-0 and get Brady to retire

Cheaters go to hell not heaven.

this messes up my fantasy team week one!

All fantasy football should be cancelled due to rescheduling.

Not necessarily saying the NFL is doing the screwing. I am guessing the teams had a big say in this. The bottom-line is that both teams now have a major disadvantage.

That is the disadvantage of living in that part of country. Yes you may get Superbowl games played in home stadium but storms can also ruin your stadium,