Bills' Roster Cuts to the 53 Man Limit

26CornerBlitz

You forgot Miller - Ducasse :lol:

Milloy - Donte

Fletcher - Poz

McGahee - Lynch

Clements - McKelvin

If you are not getting better......you are getting worse.

And as for your list......I see considerably lesser talents AND expiring contracts in Matthews and Gaines.......Bills opted out on Watkins 5th year and Darby had 2 years left.

Losing Milloy, Fletcher, and Clements was far worse, they were proven, bonafide NFL players. Everyone gone from GG's list were questionable except Gilmore IMO.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll repost this running tally

Sammy Watkins - Matthews

Mike Gillislee - JW

Ron Darby EJ Gaines

Robert Woods - Zay

Cyrus Kouandjio - ???

Stephon Gilmore - White

Goodwin - Clay

Ragland - (non event)

Zac B - Hodges

Seymour - Wright

I don't see talent drop-off in any spot except for Sammy (and I'm convinced there was more to it than "signability")

Pretty much all the new guys have to maximize their potential for them not to be a dropoff

Imagine that, BADOL playing both sides of the fence to always appear right in retrospect?

Only a decade ago, Bills were idiots for cutting coachable veterans and backfilling developmental, bottom of roster type spots with street free agents, because that's what the Detroit skinflint would allow his team to spend.

Imagine GG trying to create a narrative about my opinion because he's been embarrassed by me calling out his lazy, misinformed takes so many times on TSW. :lol:

I wasn't against keeping the vets........I was ALL for keeping the veterans on this team and trying to win and build upon that.

But when you dump the young veteran talent and have a roster that is nothing but old players, expiring contracts and rookies........that's not building ANYTHING.

Question what is the Core to build around on the Bills?

I think it's Glenn and 2018 QB on offense. On defense they're going to hope Brown takes the next step, Dareus stays out of trouble, and Hughes can play at a high enough level for 3 more seasons before they have to pick a DE high.

Two is one day. Awesome

Glad to be of service.

A lot of griping over losing players who aren't superstars.

Sure there are a few I would have like to have seen remain but this is a business and a new regime.

Got to roll with the changes.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I actually am not upset at all about any move. Its fine. This team is a transition year anyway and was never going to be good.

More so i think people can and should now take the GM speak and coach speak with a grain of salt.

At end of the day the Success of Beane and McD will be dependent on finding a QB like every GM and Coach in this league

Why, because they didn't listen to you????????

I think it's Glenn and 2018 QB on offense. On defense they're going to hope Brown takes the next step, Dareus stays out of trouble, and Hughes can play at a high enough level for 3 more seasons before they have to pick a DE high.

Don't forget Tre White and Shaq Lawson. And don't discount our safeties Hyde and Poyer.

On offense, Zay Jones.

Don't forget Tre White and Shaq Lawson. And don't discount our safeties Hyde and Poyer.

On offense, Zay Jones.

Yeah I'm liking Jones a lot more than I thought I would.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I can see a plan. It's just the getting there that's taking us into unfamiliar territory, but hey...so are the playoffs.

Pretty much all the new guys have to maximize their potential for them not to be a dropoff

Exactly.

It's a matchup league......if you don't have matchup advantages your coaching better be off the hook good.

Watkins is a guy you throw to regardless of who is covering him..........a good CB puts a lid on Matthews and that puts more pressure on subsequent WR matchups......Matthews is not a real #1 WR when healthy, let alone injured.

I like what I've seen of McDermott's defense but the reality is that it's a zone-only pass defense in a league ruled by wise, 35 year old zone dissecting QB's so it's only going to take you so far without the Jimmy's and Joe's.

Glad to be of service.

A lot of griping over losing players who aren't superstars.

Sure there are a few I would have like to have seen remain but this is a business and a new regime.

Got to roll with the changes.

Maybe because fans see and dont buy the whole compete message that they are loading up with Vets for.

There is no core on this team. Just a bunch of vets that are gone in a year or two.

And a FO that says otherwise

Why, because they didn't listen to you????????

Because thier "Earn it message" falls flat when their guys are protected or traded for

Gillislee has so far in his career looked about 50 times better than Williams. And while Darby may not have been a great fit for this D, he is a lot better than Gaines. I expect him to do well in the Schwartz D.

It's a typical GG post........lazy.

MG's production in the past two seasons was insane.

Most of that plus production was admittedly because of the scheme and the impact of the QB.......and Taylor is back and while it hasn't been promising in preseason it's conceivable that Dennison could put Taylor in position to do well again and in the process again raise the level of the RB's.........but JW hasn't actually done anything as a pro except be hurt and fumble.

What I don't like about losing Darby and Seymour is that it really boxes in game planning defensively..........the guys they have now can't play a lick of man defense.........which means they are going to be VERY predictable on defense.

Not necessarily WORSE.......but in a league where the good QB's feast on zone defenses it would be nice to be able to mix things up.

It's a very Jauron-ian situation.

Sure then they will say better than their 6 win record

LOL..... "my picks haven't been kept...boo hoo hoo...therefore this team sucks.... they didn't listen to ME.... boo hoo hooo"

10-6 partner...... Get used to it

BTW... you never addressed the Gilmore video... will he better because he's a Patriot... or will he be the same ol' suckie corner.....

LOL..... "my picks haven't been kept...boo hoo hoo...therefore this team sucks.... they didn't listen to ME.... boo hoo hooo"

10-6 partner...... Get used to it

BTW... you never addressed the Gilmore video... will he better because he's a Patriot... or will he be the same ol' suckie corner.....

Umm wanna put a bet on that.

I think McDermott is a better coach than Badol does. I share many of his concerns about his team building vision.

So you are expecting McDermott to pull the wool over on guys like Belichick or Andy Reid with his less talented rosters?

Jauron was a good defensive coach........he totally cleaned up a sloppy, undisciplined ship left behind by Mularkey........I'd say he was probably a better football coach than Ron Rivera..........but he wasn't good enough to beat ANY good opponents without the talent to support his conservative systems and ultimately he had a lot of say in his mediocre rosters.

So you are expecting McDermott to pull the wool over on guys like Belichick or Andy Reid with his less talented rosters?

Jauron was a good defensive coach........he totally cleaned up a sloppy, undisciplined ship left behind by Mularkey........I'd say he was probably a better football coach than Ron Rivera..........but he wasn't good enough to beat ANY good opponents without the talent to support his conservative systems and ultimately he had a lot of say in his mediocre rosters.

Well Belichick is the best coach ever.... but I think McDermott is a good football coach who is capable of outcoaching people. Yes.

Umm wanna put a bet on that.

Already posted in another thread.... think this is a 10-6 team...... for all to see.... If I am wrong, will acknowledge it....... for all to see..... you still avoid the Gilmore burned by Hogan video... how everyone we cut becomes a NE star .........#waiting

Already posted in another thread.... think this is a 10-6 team...... for all to see.... If I am wrong, will acknowledge it....... for all to see..... you still avoid the Gilmore burned by Hogan video... how everyone we cut becomes a NE star .........#waiting

Softer balls in NE, obviously.

Gillislee has so far in his career looked about 50 times better than Williams. And while Darby may not have been a great fit for this D, he is a lot better than Gaines. I expect him to do well in the Schwartz D.

Is that even a fair comparison? Are you comparing the Gillislee who got cut three times or the Gillislee who walked into a comfortable running game in Buffalo? Are you comparing him to Jwill's rookie camp, or this year?

Darby was abysmal last year, and you bet that Eagles are hoping they got a player that looked good playing against and offense that he's practiced for 3 off-seasons instead of the guy who was grossly exposed vs 'phins.

Imagine GG trying to create a narrative about my opinion because he's been embarrassed by me calling out his lazy, misinformed takes so many times on TSW. :lol:

I wasn't against keeping the vets........I was ALL for keeping the veterans on this team and trying to win and build upon that.

But when you dump the young veteran talent and have a roster that is nothing but old players, expiring contracts and rookies........that's not building ANYTHING.

Keep swinging.

Because only BADOL can regale us for a year about how awful of a draft choice Ragland was, and then turn around and slam the new regime for cutting ties with him.

I do admire your moxie.

Has Badol slammed the new regime for trading Ragland?

He wrapped it in the overall slams that the new regime is ripping out the young core, even if that core doesn't really work going forward.

And that's the beauty of BADOL's posting history. There are very few posters who are as knowledgeable as he is in breaking down the players and schemes.

But he's also an insufferable narcissist who would never admit a mistake and always reframes his argument to appear that he was right all along.

Would make a great politician if he ever decided to go down that route.

Oh Badol loves reminding us when he is right and less so when he is wrong, sure.... but it is all part of his charm. :) and he is right a lot more than he is wrong.

I think you are reaching a bit on Ragland. It is possible to generally be opposed to the moves and yet think specific individual moves within that were right.

Loading team up with coachable veterans.......filling developmental, bottom of roster type spots with old players and prolific special teamers so there is no drop off in the mediocrity in event of injury.......what makes people think McDermott is trying to go 2-14 so he can lose with a young QB while he tries to find 18-20 new starters in 2018-2019?

When fans favor a coaching change the tendency is to think that the coach shares their vision.

I'm not sure that ANY fan would support McD's actual plan.

I support and welcome it

Is that even a fair comparison? Are you comparing the Gillislee who got cut three times or the Gillislee who walked into a comfortable running game in Buffalo? Are you comparing him to Jwill's rookie camp, or this year?

Darby was abysmal last year, and you bet that Eagles are hoping they got a player that looked good playing against and offense that he's practiced for 3 off-seasons instead of the guy who was grossly exposed vs 'phins.

Keep swinging.

Because only BADOL can regale us for a year about how awful of a draft choice Ragland was, and then turn around and slam the new regime for cutting ties with him.

I do admire your moxie.

Gerry you are just a raving idiot.......you want a 100% love em or 100% hate em takes........and that's not how it actually works if you are reasonable.

Trading up for Ragnuts was a terrible decision...........taking him in the second round at all would have been a very poor use of draft assets.......I said it at the time........in fact I said taking him early would be a mistake time and again all the way leading UP to the draft, not just after it.

And it wasn't that I thought he was terrible it was that he was just OK at a non-critical position and they already had a virtual clone of Ragland in Preston Brown.

But, I didn't BLAST the organization for getting rid of him.

My take on both he and Darby's trades were that both of them are guys you can get in ANY draft........not *huge* losses.....but there is the matter of Preston Brown being a free agent after the season.......and something will have to be done about that now rather than possibly just transitioning to Ragnuts.

Has Badol slammed the new regime for trading Ragland?

No.

Gerry just creates whatever narrative he wants to and when he's called on his false-facts he just moves on to the next scoop of bulls*t. :lol:

It's a typical GG post........lazy.

MG's production in the past two seasons was insane.

Most of that plus production was admittedly because of the scheme and the impact of the QB.......and Taylor is back and while it hasn't been promising in preseason it's conceivable that Dennison could put Taylor in position to do well again and in the process again raise the level of the RB's.........but JW hasn't actually done anything as a pro except be hurt and fumble.

What I don't like about losing Darby and Seymour is that it really boxes in game planning defensively..........the guys they have now can't play a lick of man defense.........which means they are going to be VERY predictable on defense.

Not necessarily WORSE.......but in a league where the good QB's feast on zone defenses it would be nice to be able to mix things up.

It's a very Jauron-ian situation.

The fact that some of you don't know the difference between production and efficiency speaks volumes.