2018 Mock drafts and top prospects

Watkins101

This is in the hope that we land Kirk Cousins.

21: R1P21

OT CONNOR WILLIAMS
TEXAS
22: R1P22

DL VITA VEA
WASHINGTON
53: R2P21

LB MALIK JEFFERSON
TEXAS
56: R2P24

WR CHRISTIAN KIRK
TEXAS A&M
95: R3P31

RB NICK CHUBB
GEORGIA
123: R4P21

CB M.J. STEWART
NORTH CAROLINA
160: R5P21

TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN
168: R5P29

EDGE KYLIE FITTS
UTAH

21. Buffalo Bills – Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan

With the Senior Bowl coming up, I feel like Hurst has a big opportunity to separate himself as a top prospect with a good showing in Mobile. His pass rush production and discipline as a run defender shows that he can be an immediate impact player at the next level for Sean McDermott and this defense.

Matt Williamson’s Reaction: There seem to be mixed opinions on Hurst, but the beauty here for Buffalo with this pick is that Hurst should provide immediate interior pass-rush help, a very valued commodity in today’s NFL.

22. Buffalo Bills (via KC) – Connor Williams, OT, Texas

This is another BPA pick, but you can never have enough offensive linemen. Connor Williams is a mean, athletic offensive tackle who looked like a top prospect in 2016, but fell off this past season with poor showings and a knee injury. This could be a blessing for Buffalo if they can bottle up what he did his sophomore season for the Longhorns.

Matt Williamson’s Reaction: Even though the Bills are not in desperate need at this position, quality offensive tackles don’t grow on trees. Buffalo has a ton of draft choices, so a luxury pick like this at a position that is tough to find is certainly acceptable. Heck, maybe they employ more six offensive linemen packages with the addition of Williams.

A draft for if we were to sign Cousins:

EDGE ARDEN KEY
LSU

LB RASHAAN EVANS
ALABAMA

DL DERRICK NNADI
FLORIDA STATE

WR CHRISTIAN KIRK
TEXAS A&M

RB NICK CHUBB
GEORGIA

QB LUKE FALK
WASHINGTON STATE

CB TONY BROWN
ALABAMA

OT AUSTIN CORBETT
NEVADA

• Like (+1) 1

Not real familiar with New Arena but this is a pretty interesting mock draft.

http://newarena.com/nfl/2018-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-who-will-your-favorite-team-select/?amxt=fbdt_avnt2

Here's what they have for the Bills:

Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M

As we saw in the playoff loss to the Jaguars, Buffalo is in desperate need of some skill within its receiver corps. Kelvin Benjamin’s conditioning is a huge question mark going forward. Apologies to Deonte Thompson, but he’s not anything more than a third receiver (at best).

Kirk would offer Buffalo a true game-breaker. He can line up at any spot – whether it’s in the slot, or on the perimeter. Having elite ball skills and sublime quickness, Kirk is supremely slippery with the ball in his hands. His value is increased even further with terrific skill in the return game. Buffalo would do very well to land him at this point in the draft. Should the Bills move on from Tyrod Taylor, Mason Rudolph could get a look here.

and:

Christian Wilkins DT Clemson

Kyle Williams has long been the heartbeat of the Bills’ franchise. His entire 11-year career has been played in Buffalo, and the 5-time Pro Bowler has been more than impactful both on and off the field. However, at 34 years of age, it may be time for Buffalo to draft his eventual replacement. Enter Wilkins – a versatile defender with an intriguing skill-set.

The 6’4” 300-pounder can virtually play anywhere along the defensive front. Though a nice athlete, Wilkins also plays with a low center of gravity. This enables him to be solid against the run. With the big game experience he’s collected at Clemson, expect Wilkins to make an impact early in the NFL.

• By the way, the more I see of Christian Kirk, the more intrigued I am. I know WR is not a top priority, but damn he looks good and is a hell of a return guy too.
Edited by buffaloboyinATL

PICK 21

Da'Ron Payne - DT, Alabama

The Bills traded away Marcell Dareus in the fall and they need to add another difference-maker to their defensive front.

PICK 22

Josh Jackson - CB, Iowa

There is some concern about Jackson's deep speed, but he has the best ball skills in the entire draft class.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:57 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been using Matt Miller’s board on Fanspeak and setting it to difficult. I think that it’s more realistic than others. 

EDGE SAM HUBBARD
OHIO STATE

QB MASON RUDOLPH
OKLAHOMA STATE

BILLY PRICE
OHIO STATE

RB SONY MICHEL
GEORGIA

WR MICHAEL GALLUP
COLORADO STATE
EDGE OLASUNKANMI ADENIYI
TOLEDO

CB KEVIN TOLIVER II
LSU
165: R5P26

LB JACK CICHY
WISCONSIN

or

EDGE HAROLD LANDRY
BOSTON COLLEGE

DL VITA VEA
WASHINGTON

RB SONY MICHEL
GEORGIA

QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE

WR JAMES WASHINGTON
OKLAHOMA STATE

EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
UTSA

CB KEVIN TOLIVER II
LSU
165: R5P26

WR DAESEAN HAMILTON
PENN STATE

I would absolutely love to get Sony Michel in this draft! Also Vea in round 2 and Lamar Jackson in round 3? Dream scenarios for sure.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
PICK 21

Da'Ron Payne - DT, Alabama

PICK 22

Josh Jackson - CB, Iowa

Would be a huge 1st round IMO, my #1 CB and DT in the draft, would personally also love a Payne (DT), Evans (LB) 1st round, maybe even more so... 

Just now, P51 said:

Would be a huge 1st round IMO, my #1 CB and DT in the draft, would personally also love a Payne (DT), Evans (LB) 1st round, maybe even more so... 

I'd be good with either scenario with the assumption that the Bills sign or trade for a viable starting QB. 

On 1/18/2018 at 8:22 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

21. BUFFALO BILLS (9-7)
LB Roquan Smith, Georgia

17OS3-Mock-Draft-2-Pick-21-768x432.jpg

The first linebacker off the board, Smith flies to the football against both the run and in coverage. He also has a knack for finishing plays as he’s been one of the surest tacklers in the country over the last two-plus years (only 16 missed tackles on 251 career attempts). He’s a perfect fit for Buffalo’s zone-heavy defensive scheme.

22. BUFFALO BILLS – FROM KANSAS CITY (10-6)

Edge Marcus Davenport, UTSA

The Bills go defense once again, adding Davenport, who projects as a classic base defensive end in a 4-3 scheme. He uses his massive 6-foot-7 frame well and he finished fourth overall among edge defenders with an 89.8 grade. He can move blockers in the run game and he picked up nine sacks, six QB hits and 34 hurries on only 257 rushes last season.

Davenport is way too raw to take at 22 IMO.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Smith at 21?  I believe he'll likely be gone before then. 

We would have to pair a 2nd rounder with pick 21 and trade up between 10-15...then take Rudolph at 22...that would still leave us with our other 2nd rounder for DL/OL?

this would give us our QB on offense and QB on defense in the same draft

Edited by JaCrispy

On 1/19/2018 at 8:26 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Might be good if they address QB with a vet. 

I might be in the minority but I actually like the idea of McCown for a year or two...we can get him on the cheap and he has elite size and good arm strength...and we don’t have to give up draft picks to get him...had we had McCown instead of Tyrod I firmly believe we could have gone further in the playoffs.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

The thing I like about this year is that there will be running backs in the 3rd and 4th rounds that earn 2nd round grades. Penny is my guy there. 

The other thing i like is that the Bills have themselves set up with a lot of picks and can do a lot of things. They have a lot of areas to cover, but they will likely try to add some cheaper free agents for about 3-4 of those potentialstarting spots, and the draft for the rest. 

Theyve got a good hold of the cap now. They have to eat some this year, but after this year, and then in 2020, they’ll be ina really good position cap wise and could really be in nice shape if they continue solid development in the draft. 

15 hours ago, ALF said:

DRAFTTEK BIG BOARD - Ranked by Position

2018 Quarterbacks     Most Recent Revision:  1/21/2018

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-QBs.asp

21.   Lamar Jackson

22.   Vita Vea        Astros picks

Dont Know Why They Have Mayfield Ranked At 48.

13 hours ago, wppete said:

I’m sure we will end up with some Alabama players this year. Daboll knows them well and that team is full of talent. 

He also likely watched a great deal of tape on the defenses that they played against which means he may also be able to provide good intel on some of the top defenders in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

LB RASHAAN EVANS
ALABAMA

QB MASON RUDOLPH
OKLAHOMA STATE

DL TIM SETTLE
VIRGINIA TECH

EDGE CHAD THOMAS
MIAMI (FLA.)

OT BRIAN O'NEILL
PITTSBURGH

WR DANTE PETTIS
WASHINGTON

RB BO SCARBROUGH
ALABAMA

LB MICAH KISER
VIRGINIA

On 1/18/2018 at 9:22 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

21. BUFFALO BILLS (9-7)
LB Roquan Smith, Georgia

17OS3-Mock-Draft-2-Pick-21-768x432.jpg

The first linebacker off the board, Smith flies to the football against both the run and in coverage. He also has a knack for finishing plays as he’s been one of the surest tacklers in the country over the last two-plus years (only 16 missed tackles on 251 career attempts). He’s a perfect fit for Buffalo’s zone-heavy defensive scheme.

22. BUFFALO BILLS – FROM KANSAS CITY (10-6)

Edge Marcus Davenport, UTSA

The Bills go defense once again, adding Davenport, who projects as a classic base defensive end in a 4-3 scheme. He uses his massive 6-foot-7 frame well and he finished fourth overall among edge defenders with an 89.8 grade. He can move blockers in the run game and he picked up nine sacks, six QB hits and 34 hurries on only 257 rushes last season.

For me this would be a dream first round draft.

What does everyone think of Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech.  He has seemed to jump up boards and some have him being taken before Smith.  He's 6'5" and athletic.  Looks like he could nail the combine.  Is he really as good or better than Smith?   Could he be the answer to covering tight ends like gronk?

Edited by Buffalo30

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

What does everyone think of Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech.  He has seemed to jump up boards and some have him being taken before Smith.  He's 6'5" and athletic.  Looks like he could nail the combine.  Is he really as good or better than Smith?  

He could fit what McD wants to do at OLB, but I don't see him as our MLB 'QB of the D' guy. If McD thinks he can get his MLB later then maybe he grabs Tremaine early to infuse athleticism into the position group. Tremaine needs to fill out his frame a bit at the next level, but I don't see that being an issue.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He could fit what McD wants to do at OLB, but I don't see him as our MLB 'QB of the D' guy. If McD thinks he can get his MLB later then maybe he grabs Tremaine early to infuse athleticism into the position group. Tremaine needs to fill out his frame a bit at the next level, but I don't see that being an issue.

I would like to have some size at the LB spot.  Smith is great but he is another undersized linebacker and we already have one of those.  Edmunds could help cover tight ends.  

6 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I would like to have some size at the LB spot.  Smith is great but he is another undersized linebacker and we already have one of those.  Edmunds could help cover tight ends.  

Yeah, he was pretty good in coverage situations on RBs and TEs. Just not sure he's what McD is looking for in a 1st round investment for his scheme. Also a decent chance he's gone by 21 anyway. He's going to crush the combine and someone will fall in love.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, he was pretty good in coverage situations on RBs and TEs. Just not sure he's what McD is looking for in a 1st round investment for his scheme. Also a decent chance he's gone by 21 anyway. He's going to crush the combine and someone will fall in love.

Does he not fit McDs scheme?  Just wondering your opinion

Could Derwin James be looked at as a linebacker in McDs scheme?  

18 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Does he not fit McDs scheme?  Just wondering your opinion

Could Derwin James be looked at as a linebacker in McDs scheme?  

His role would probably be to replace Alexander and let Alexander play DE. Not a bad thing I suppose, I just think he's more focused on finding his Kuechley.

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

So PFF has Josh Allen falling out of the first round? Does anyone think that will actually happen? At one point he was being talked about as the #3 QB prospect.

PFF grades him as like the actual worst QB in the entire draft. I'm not sure they'd have him in their mock even if it were a 7 round mock.

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

REALLY? That is so strange, seeing as others have him as a top 10 pick. Did he sleep with one of their sisters or something?

PFF dosnt look at potential like everyone else, they go solely off of their grades

Edited by WMDman
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

His role would probably be to replace Alexander and let Alexander play DE. Not a bad thing I suppose, I just think he's more focused on finding his Kuechley.

What constitutes being a Kuechly in your mind?  Are you saying Edmunds doesn't have the leadership skills/playcalling role on the defense...what exactly do you think Edmunds is lacking?

40 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

REALLY? That is so strange, seeing as others have him as a top 10 pick. Did he sleep with one of their sisters or something?

No, his advanced stats are just not good at all. His accuracy is below par to begin with, but add to that the fact that he plays in a pro style system (rather than the open spreads most of the other guys are in) with a truly wretched supporting cast that probably don't deserve to be playing Division 1 football and you have all the ingredients you need for some ugly numbers.

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

So PFF has Josh Allen falling out of the first round? Does anyone think that will actually happen? At one point he was being talked about as the #3 QB prospect.

To me it will depend on the process, no pun intended.  He could go in the 1st depending on practice, interviews this week and at the combine.  But to me, scouts always have this tendency to forget that the TAPE does not lie and overdraft guys.  We'll see how it goes for him.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.