2018 Mock drafts and top prospects

Watkins101

17 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

They do have extra pick in rounds 1&2.  Let's say that they end up with the 15th and 20th picks in round 1 - (could end up higher or lower depending how they and KC finish.  In an average year those picks might get you one pick in the top 5 - if you can find a trade partner.  But, given the perception that this is a strong QB class, teams at the top may want to stay there and pick a QB themselves and other teams wanting to trade up will inflate the price to move up.

I agree with you that the more teams involved in trading up for a qb the higher the price will be. What I have been saying is even vying with other teams who need a qb we have more assets to deal with than they do. The Bills have the ability to jump ahead of teams who are desperate for a qb. 

Ask yourself, are the Rams or Eagles regretting giving up an abundance of picks for their respective qbs? No one is advocating being reckless and mortgaging a team's future for a long shot gamble. That is not to say that by making a calculated decision that the Bills shouldn't come away with a good qb prospect. The Bills may not be able to get a deal done to select Darnold or Rosen but Mayfield and Jackson would still be good options. No more excuses!

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that the more teams involved in trading up for a qb the higher the price will be. What I have been saying is even vying with other teams who need a qb we have more assets to deal with than they do. The Bills have the ability to jump ahead of teams who are desperate for a qb. 

Ask yourself, are the Rams or Eagles regretting giving up an abundance of picks for their respective qbs? No one is advocating being reckless and mortgaging a team's future for a long shot gamble. That is not to say that by making a calculated decision that the Bills shouldn't come away with a good qb prospect. The Bills may not be able to get a deal done to select Darnold or Rosen but Mayfield and Jackson would still be good options. No more excuses!

I am with you there.  I'd like to see them move up for a truly good QB prospect, eve if it costs both 1st round picks and possibly more.  I am just worried that they could get shut-out in that process and end up with a consolation prize.

A LOT of their Trade-up-power hinges on them and KC finishing the season weakly.  I hate wanting them to lose, but the fewer meaningless games that they win down the stretch the better.  Hopefully, they can find a way to play well enough to give us hope, but still lose.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I am with you there.  I'd like to see them move up for a truly good QB prospect, eve if it costs both 1st round picks and possibly more.  I am just worried that they could get shut-out in that process and end up with a consolation prize.

A LOT of their Trade-up-power hinges on them and KC finishing the season weakly.  I hate wanting them to lose, but the fewer meaningless games that they win down the stretch the better.  Hopefully, they can find a way to play well enough to give us hope, but still lose.

You and I are in sync. Sometimes the player you think is a consolation prize turns out to be the better option. You can have a prospect who may be more talented from a check box standpoint but that doesn't mean that that particular player is a good or better fit for you. Rosen may be the best pro passer prospect but Mayfield may be the better quick rhythm passer that is more suitable for our offense. 

5 hours ago, richardb1952 said:

San Fran could be a logical trade partner if the QB the Bills are interested in were to be there in that spot.  San Fran is in a great draft position for any QB desperate team to trade with.

This weekend with Bills' meaningless win and KC seemingly rediscovering their offense put a big dent in their ability to trade up.

when the Bills need to win, they can't get a break from referees.  Today, they ended up with a meaningless and damaging win because of a bogus call by officials that wiped out Indy's 2 point conversion.

it is hard to fathom how big a set back this really is - the playoff drought continues endlessly.

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

This weekend with Bills' meaningless win and KC seemingly rediscovering their offense put a big dent in their ability to trade up.

when the Bills need to win, they can't get a break from referees.  Today, they ended up with a meaningless and damaging win because of a bogus call by officials that wiped out Indy's 2 point conversion.

it is hard to fathom how big a set back this really is - the playoff drought continues endlessly.

The history of the bills has always been when they need to win, they lose, and when a loss would help their cause they always win...

8 hours ago, richardb1952 said:

San Fran could be a logical trade partner if the QB the Bills are interested in were to be there in that spot.  San Fran is in a great draft position for any QB desperate team to trade with.

Unfortunately not for long...Jimmy G has that team rolling now and they are no longer the door mat of the league...

On 12/5/2017 at 4:31 PM, Buffalo30 said:

If we decide to take a tight end...I'm all aboard the Dallas Goedert train.  He reminds me of some of the best tight ends in the game with his catching ability. Outta San Diego State but he is a modern day receiving tight end.  He could be a really nice security blanket for a young QB.  Clay may be here...he may not.  Even if he is, Dallas Goedert could be a nice tight end to pair with a rookie.  I think he has the potential to be like a Gronk type receiving threat if used properly.  

Really like Oklahoma TE Mark Andrews, great route runner and pass catcher and would familiar with our new QB ;)

On 12/6/2017 at 2:15 PM, thunderingsquid said:

It's sad that I can't wait for April now.  

17: R1P17

EDGE ARDEN KEY
LSU
25: R1P25

QB DREW LOCK
MISSOURI
49: R2P17

G BILLY PRICE
OHIO STATE
60: R2P28

DL TAVEN BRYAN
FLORIDA
93: R3P29

RB JOSH ADAMS
NOTRE DAME
119: R4P17

OT TIMON PARRIS
STONY BROOK
155: R5P17

WR DANTE PETTIS
WASHINGTON
162: R5P24

S VAN SMITH
CLEMSON

Didn't think Lock was coming out?

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Really like Oklahoma TE Mark Andrews, great route runner and pass catcher and would familiar with our new QB ;)

I really like Andrews as well.  I know this may not be the best tight end class but if we still have a lot of picks in the early rounds and somehow take a QB in round 1, I could see us taking one of the pass-catching tight ends for the new QB.  

...this QB class is one of the more interesting classes in recent memory

After 14 weeks, the Buffalo Bills have managed to have a winning record despite the clear fact that they need to find a top quarterback for the future.

Armed with an extra first-round pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the Bills could package picks to leap higher into the first round to find their signal caller. But just how much would they have to give up?

Let’s use the framework of last year’s trade between the Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans as a loose blueprint. That’s the trade that netted Houston its quarterback of the future in Deshaun Watson. The Texans gave up the 25th overall pick in the draft and a 2018 first-rounder for the Browns’ 12th overall pick.

If the Bills need to move high into the top 10 for a quarterback, it will cost more. It would cost both of Buffalo’s first-round picks this year. The Bills would also need to throw in a second-round pick this year or a first in 2019. The price might seem exorbitant, but that’s the cost of a quarterback.

4. Buffalo Bills (via San Francisco 49ers): Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

This is how high the Bills may have to move to get a quarterback. It’s unlikely the Browns and Giants would trade down because they need quarterbacks. Although there is a danger in trading up for the third quarterback off the board, it’s a necessary move for the Bills. Darnold struggled at times this season, particularly early on, but he can make some impressive throws. More than any other quarterback prospect in this year’s draft, he knows how to throw to his open receivers.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

Two firsts are just that, two of any number of picks the Bills can give up. 

There is NO team in more desperate need of a franchise QB than the Bills.  There is no other team in professional sports that is in more need of a fix to the misery that they are going through.  The Browns are close, but even they have been to the playoffs since the Bills.  For once, the Bills need to actually ACT as desperate as they are and fix this thing.

11 hours ago, Acantha said:

Two firsts are just that, two of any number of picks the Bills can give up. 

There is NO team in more desperate need of a franchise QB than the Bills.  There is no other team in professional sports that is in more need of a fix to the misery that they are going through.  The Browns are close, but even they have been to the playoffs since the Bills.  For once, the Bills need to actually ACT as desperate as they are and fix this thing.

I wouldn't overlook the Brown's misery.  They've won like one game in two years...we've at least won some games.  Obviously we haven't won in a long time but neither have the Browns.  They haven't been close in several years now.  That being said, let's get the QB and get out of this mess haha.

13 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I wouldn't overlook the Brown's misery.  They've won like one game in two years...we've at least won some games.  Obviously we haven't won in a long time but neither have the Browns.  They haven't been close in several years now.  That being said, let's get the QB and get out of this mess haha.

The difference is the Brown's will have the first pick and will use it on a QB.  The Bills have to make it happen another way, and they shouldn't try to act any other way than desperate when it comes to filling this hole.  There's a tendency for these guys to think they can fix things on their own because they're just so damn good at their jobs.  BS, get the fuggin QB already.

1 hour ago, Acantha said:

The difference is the Brown's will have the first pick and will use it on a QB.  The Bills have to make it happen another way, and they shouldn't try to act any other way than desperate when it comes to filling this hole.  There's a tendency for these guys to think they can fix things on their own because they're just so damn good at their jobs.  BS, get the fuggin QB already.

I was just pointing out that Cleveland may be a team that has just as bad a need at QB as us and has endured a similar misery over the years.  They are in better draft position than us obviously but they also have 0 wins and 1 over the last two years.  They've been horrible for years now haha.  At least we've had a couple reasonably competitive teams of late.  

Giving up two first round picks sounds like a lot but it really is a deceptive cost. If you trade two first round picks and a second to move up you are still able to have almost a full draft. The Bills traded down with KC to get that extra pick. So it was banked with the intention of possibly using it in a deal in a deal. The other first round pick isn't lost because it is basically exchanged for a higher pick. If the second round pick is also necessary for a trade up that pick is also a bonus pick acquired in the Watkins trade with the Rams. Who would complain about that deal if it is used as an asset to acquire a blue chip qb prospect? 

The team that is coming off really smart from a draft positioning standpoint is SF. They acquired their franchise qb, Garoppolo, by sending a second round pick to the Pats. They now are in a good position to trade off their first round pick to a desperate qb team for a bevy of picks. That's how you accelerate the rebuilding process. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.