Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

He won't be playing against 2nd and 3rd string players in real games. That's a huge difference. Not saying Mahomes won't be good. But rather that I can't put too much stock into pre-season. With Alex Smith there he won't likely play much this year unless there is an injury or Smith is horrendous. Mahomes is a gun slinger type. He makes plays but he also makes bad decisions.

I would relax before calling him the second coming of Bret Farve. Too much stock put into pre-season.

I didn't say that...

...and pre-season is all we have to go by right now.

Not sure why some of you seem so upset by the observation that Mahomes is looking good, comfortable and relaxed. If you think that's crazy talk and there's a good chance he'll wilt under the pressure of real games, I don't know what else to tell you other than I highly doubt it. Dude looks like a gamer to me. He went from a definite year to two years to develop QB, to questions being asked of the head coach of how safe Smith's job is. He's going to take over the job at some point. They aren't waiting a year to play him, no matter how much Reid denies it.

Edited by 1billsfan

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did say that...

Not sure why some of you seem so upset by the observation that Mahomes is looking good, comfortable and relaxed. If you think that's crazy talk and there's a good chance he'll wilt under the pressure of real games, I don't know what else to tell you other than I highly doubt it. Dude looks like a gamer to me. He went from a definite year to two years to develop QB, to questions being asked of the head coach of how safe Smith's job is. He's going to take over the job at some point. They aren't waiting a year to play him, no matter how much Reid denies it.

I don't think anyone is upset. they just know preseason is not a true evaluator of how said rookie does in an nfl game, not a preseason scrimmage.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I did say that...

You've been around so I find it hard to believe you haven't seen this same story replayed over and over and over again, every year. Preseason isn't real. I don't even want to go into why it's not real because I feel like I'd be patronizing you, because you should know better. And it's not to say that Mahomes won't be good. He may. We don't know anymore today than we did 2 weeks ago.

Players looking good in preseason is like a batter looking good in batting practice against a 70mph fastball.

Edited by bobobonators

You've been around so I find it hard to believe you haven't seen this same story replayed over and over and over again, every year. Preseason isn't real. I don't even want to go into why it's not real because I feel like I'd be patronizing you, because you should know better. And it's not to say that Mahomes won't be good. He may. We don't know anymore today than we did 2 weeks ago.

Players looking good in preseason is like a batter looking good in batting practice against a 70mph fastball.

Dak Prescott looked good in preseason, so did Russell Wilson. It carried through for them. These younger players are just not as overwhelmed as they once were by the NFL, especially the ones who have that gamer mentality, which I get the feeling Mahomes has. Hopefully Peterman (or our 2018 QB pick) has that as well.

Dak Prescott looked good in preseason, so did Russell Wilson. It carried through for them. These younger players are just not as overwhelmed as they once were by the NFL, especially the ones who have that gamer mentality, which I get the feeling Mahomes has. Hopefully Peterman (or our 2018 QB pick) has that as well.

Dak and Russell did it against first units, so there is that too...and Mahmoes has not had the camp and preseason those guys had by the way...not even close and they did it against starters once again.

This is why I asked you if you actually watched the game or looked at the box score. If you did, then you would know he has not had the same whoa moments Russell and Dak was having, and once again Dak and Russell did it with the starters. Mahomes made a lot of safe easy throws and still demonstrates very poor mechanics to believe he will just come in and be ready to play against first unit defenses who are game planning to exploit those poor mechanics and rookie knowledge.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Giddy? I gave a totally fair assessment of that video (did you even watch it?). Saying he looks good, poised and ready is not "giddy". You seem oddly defensive.

Who gives a **** ? If or When he makes a probowl we can have that discussion ,, the kid played couple of pre season games big F deal

How come we can say Mahomes is the next big thing because he looked good against 2's and 3's, but not the same for Peterman?

Well because Mahomes was first round pick , and only the 1st round picks become the franchise QB's , every other round are the backups

Love how you give Reid credit for Farve

Beane and McD get no credit for Cam right. Ok thanks, keep on your agenda

Right. It was the GM that brought favre up from atlanta. Cool thing is he didnt even really get to see him play. Jus went off his scouts word and his instincts. I read that **** a while ago. Cool story.

Arm talent and athleticism through the roof. Footwork, mechanics, and general NFL QB aptitude have a long way to go. There is potential here, but he is a long way from stepping into a starting role. IMO. It would be unfortunate if he were to be thrust into that role.

And I have watched every single one of Mahomes' plays this preseason.

Dak and Russell did it against first units, so there is that too...and Mahmoes has not had the camp and preseason those guys had by the way...not even close and they did it against starters once again.

This is why I asked you if you actually watched the game or looked at the box score. If you did, then you would know he has not had the same whoa moments Russell and Dak was having, and once again Dak and Russell did it with the starters. Mahomes made a lot of safe easy throws and still demonstrates very poor mechanics to believe he will just come in and be ready to play against first unit defenses who are game planning to exploit those poor mechanics and rookie knowledge.

Your accurate observations about Mahomes's less than pristine mechanics were well known about him when evaluating him as a pro prospect. That's why it was clearly acknowledged by every serious scout that it was going to take time to smoothen out his mechanics. What wasn't in doubt were his raw throwing skills. They were eye popping. There is a dynamism to his passing ability that you can't teach. You either have it or not.

He going to KC was a good situation for him because they already have a starter and they have a good team. That was the strategy that KC had when he was selected. The worst thing that could have happened to a raw prospect such as him was to go to a team such as Houston where there would be more pressure to play him sooner rather than develop him. Watson with different traits is more suited than Mahomes to play sooner.

Too many people (not saying you) are too quick to make a conclusive judgment on a qb based on their rookie performances. Many people jumped to the conclusion that Goff was going to be a failure based on his rookie year when the team's intention was to sit him out his first year as basically a red shirt year in order to more properly prepare him. As it turned out the team played him sooner than they intended because of their dire qb situation and their team status in the standings. It is not surprising that he struggled last year. But now with a year under his belt and good coaching (McVay coached Cousins in Washington) Goff should be measurably better this year and make a quantum leap next year.

If it were up to me I would have drafted Mahomes (as Whaley wanted to do) and groomed him to be our franchise qb. Although he wouldn't have been ready his rookie year the organization didn't seize the opportunity to select a talented player. That dithering approach to the qb position is why the Bills haven't had a franchise qb for a quarter century. And It's also why it has been a failure for more than a generation.

Goff was good. Really excellent ball placement in particular. The offense they were running, lot of receiver screens, underneath stuff and play action probably isn't sustainable for 16 games but it is a really good example of a coach - in this case McVay - understanding what his Quarterback can and can't do and designing an offense to help him succeed. I'll be interested to see how it goes and also how Cousins goes without him.....

Goff was good. Really excellent ball placement in particular. The offense they were running, lot of receiver screens, underneath stuff and play action probably isn't sustainable for 16 games but it is a really good example of a coach - in this case McVay - understanding what his Quarterback can and can't do and designing an offense to help him succeed. I'll be interested to see how it goes and also how Cousins goes without him.....

No doubt Goff looked good and hopefully for the Rams it continues into the regular season. I posted the image to point out the names listed at each position as opposed to what we might see during a regular season week.

Mahomes' play is duly noted. We won't know what he'll become for at least another year. Odds are we will see what Peterman can do sooner than Mahomes.

If I had to start one of those two guys in the NFL this year week 1, it would probably be Peterman. Not saying that's a good thing, but mahomes looks like a bigger arm with a lot less polish.