Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

The word is that Savage has a lock on the Texans' starting QB job.

Yes Savage was good the other night. I thought he had a rough pre-season game 1 but he was impressive against New England. With Billy O nobody has a lock on a Quarterback job for long.... but I expect Savage will be the starter week 1.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Savage was good the other night. I thought he had a rough pre-season game 1 but he was impressive against New England. With Billy O nobody has a lock on a Quarterback job for long.... but I expect Savage will be the starter week 1.

Absolutely given his history.

@RapSheet

Here in KC, #Chiefs coach Andy Reid is asked about Patrick Mahomes' development & QB Alex Smith: "It's Alex's job. There's no gray area."

He's seeing the same thing I am from Mahomes's preseason so far - he isn't close to ready to start. I would not feel good if I was a Chiefs fan. Fixing a QB's mechanics that are that far off is a pipe dream. Even if they do manage to instill new habits, old habits tend to resurface when under pressure. It was a bad pick and a worse trade for them IMO.

He's seeing the same thing I am from Mahomes's preseason so far - he isn't close to ready to start. I would not feel good if I was a Chiefs fan. Fixing a QB's mechanics that are that far off is a pipe dream. Even if they do manage to instill new habits, old habits tend to resurface when under pressure. It was a bad pick and a worse trade for them IMO.

This is interesting:

@FieldYates

QB's drafted in the 1st round since 2006 to not assume a full-time starting gig by the start of Year 2: Paxton Lynch, Manziel, Tebow, Quinn.

He looks completely relaxed out there. I don't think real games will make a difference.

hahahahaha, worst comment in TSW history...seriously did you type that with a straight face?

Mahomes may or may not pan out...but one thing is for sure, his Preseason performance is NOT going to indicate it one way or the other. He is playing against backups and also guys who wont play much or even make a roster. This is also the preseason where they DO NOT game plan much, if at all, other than to try different things they want to work on. No team is going into a preseason game watching film on Mahomes previous preseason game to see how to stop him. They are too busy watching film on their own players evaluating them, ask any coach in the NFL and they will tell you the same thing.

I mean these people are all laughing at your comment: 2008 Detroit Lions who went 4-0 in preseason before going 0-16 in the regular season. You think they believe there is a difference in Regular and Preseason games? Or how about CJ Spiller to bring it close to home who led the NFL in rushing as a rookie in preseason? Or how about EJ or Tuel who both showed well in preseason before proving against starters they couldn't get the job done? To literally say it wont make a difference in the regular season is so ridiculous I can't even believe its been said, even on this board.

PS: Did you actually watch the game, or just look at a box score? He didn't do anything spectacular in the game, lots of easy safe throws and his mechanics still look a mess. So while I commend him for doing well with his time on the field, we are a LONG way from knowing how this kid could be as as starter when the games matter. How about Watson who had an impressive debut and then went 3-10 in his 2nd game...it still puzzles me how much stock people put into preseason.

hahahahaha, worst comment in TSW history...seriously did you type that with a straight face?

Mahomes may or may not pan out...but one thing is for sure, his Preseason performance is NOT going to indicate it one way or the other. He is playing against backups and also guys who wont play much or even make a roster. This is also the preseason where they DO NOT game plan much, if at all, other than to try different things they want to work on. No team is going into a preseason game watching film on Mahomes previous preseason game to see how to stop him. They are too busy watching film on their own players evaluating them, ask any coach in the NFL and they will tell you the same thing.

I mean these people are all laughing at your comment: 2008 Detroit Lions who went 4-0 in preseason before going 0-16 in the regular season. You think they believe there is a difference in Regular and Preseason games? Or how about CJ Spiller to bring it close to home who led the NFL in rushing as a rookie in preseason? Or how about EJ or Tuel who both showed well in preseason before proving against starters they couldn't get the job done? To literally say it wont make a difference in the regular season is so ridiculous I can't even believe its been said, even on this board.

PS: Did you actually watch the game, or just look at a box score? He didn't do anything spectacular in the game, lots of easy safe throws and his mechanics still look a mess. So while I commend him for doing well with his time on the field, we are a LONG way from knowing how this kid could be as as starter when the games matter. How about Watson who had an impressive debut and then went 3-10 in his 2nd game...it still puzzles me how much stock people put into preseason.

...pretty sad isn't it?...didn't Greenspan say something about "irrational exuberance"?......pre-season is vanilla with rubber bullets....regular season is "live ammo" and no more vanilla......BINGHAMTON BEAST posted a reminder about Spent Trent Edwards being the QB savior...let this Peterman grow or should we destroy another one?....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

This is interesting:

@FieldYates

QB's drafted in the 1st round since 2006 to not assume a full-time starting gig by the start of Year 2: Paxton Lynch, Manziel, Tebow, Quinn.

To be fair the "since 2006" is intentionally leaving out Aaron Rodgers and that's who the Mahomes believers think he can be. I don't personally see that happening, he has too much to clean up. More likely than not Mahomes is the next "big arm, poor mechanics" QB to come out of a spread system and become a major bust in the NFL.

To be fair the "since 2006" is intentionally leaving out Aaron Rodgers and that's who the Mahomes believers think he can be. I don't personally see that happening, he has too much to clean up. More likely than not Mahomes is the next "big arm, poor mechanics" QB to come out of a spread system and become a major bust in the NFL.

He's the aberration from 2005 with Favre as the established starter for GB. That was a rare situation and possibly why they began with 2006.

Because of this irrational reluctance to be pro-active in securing the qb position it is one of the primary reasons why this franchise has failed for more than one full generation.

This is the thing that really kills me. We are being "lapped" by teams who found their franchise QB right around the time we were setting our hopes on Billy Jo Herbert and Brian Brohm. They found their QB, we didn't, and now these QB's careers are on the downslope. Now, we're having to compete with these teams again in finding a franchise QB. This is mostly because we (1) fail to take chances and (2) are afraid of a true rebuild.

I'm pretty sure you're reading him wrong.

Andy Reid has made it clear since day 1 that Mahomes does not start this year and Alex Smith is their QB. Everyone in Chiefland knew this. He was reaffirming his position and I wouldn't expect it to change.

The question probably came up because for the first time...people in KC are beginning to whisper ...quietly...should he start?

And this whispering is occuring despite Alex Smith probably having his best camp. At camp, AS has been as aggressive as ever and media in KC are speculating whether this is due to being pushed by Mahomes.

Andy Reid knows Mahomes has further work to do, Mahomes knows he has further work to do.

But...living in Chiefsland, its coming out that Mahomes is picking up things a hell of a lot faster than anyone expected.

They're in love with him.

I'm pretty sure you're reading him wrong.

Andy Reid has made it clear since day 1 that Mahomes does not start this year and Alex Smith is their QB. Everyone in Chiefland knew this. He was reaffirming his position and I wouldn't expect it to change.

The question probably came up because for the first time...people in KC are beginning to whisper ...quietly...should he start?

And this whispering is occuring despite Alex Smith probably having his best camp. At camp, AS has been as aggressive as ever and media in KC are speculating whether this is due to being pushed by Mahomes.

Andy Reid knows Mahomes has further work to do, Mahomes knows he has further work to do.

But...living in Chiefsland, its coming out that Mahomes is picking up things a hell of a lot faster than anyone expected.

They're in love with him.

Of course they are. Everyone is (publicly) in love with their 1st rounder.

This is the thing that really kills me. We are being "lapped" by teams who found their franchise QB right around the time we were setting our hopes on Billy Jo Herbert and Brian Brohm. They found their QB, we didn't, and now these QB's careers are on the downslope. Now, we're having to compete with these teams again in finding a franchise QB. This is mostly because we (1) fail to take chances and (2) are afraid of a true rebuild.

Pre-Pegula, I was afraid of a rebuild. If the team is terrible (2-14, let's say), attendance drops, interest drops, merchandise sales drop, etc. - revenue drops. Under those circumstances, a move to a bigger market looks more attractive. By moving to a new market, you have the novelty factor selling tickets, plus a bigger market would have higher costs for tickets, parking and concessions, all of which bring in more dollars and make a move more attractive to a bidder for the team after Ralph Wilson dies. When the team is somewhat competitive, shows some rays of hope and can at least win a few games, Buffalo fans will fill the stadium, making a move to a bigger market more of a financial risk and less attractive. Now that Pegula owns the team and it isn't going anywhere, plus the fact that there is a new coach & GM who will be given 2-3 years to sink or swim, the time is much more appropriate for a rebuild.

Personally, I could go either way. Drafting a QB in the top 10 really necessarily mean that much. Look at the Blaine Gabberts, Blake Bortles, Jared Goffs, RG3s and Jake Lockers of the world. Not to mention David Carr, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Leinart and others. It's a crap shoot. Darnold could turn out to be a bust and Rosen be a star. Maybe both will be busts and the kid from New Mexico State is a star. Sometimes the better QBs are found a little later, such as Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Brady, etc. Tanking may or may not get the desired results. That said, nothing else has worked, so I'd be willing to go in for a little bit of Darcy Regier style suffering. I also won't be upset if they don't. Maybe McDermott puts together a great defense, they run the ball well, and squeeze just enough out of the passing game to be competitive. I guess that's why I watch every year....I should note that I was confident that they wouldn't go far under Rex. He's a buffoon and his lack of success his last several years with the Jests left no doubts. But you know what, I still watched. Like most of us, I am a bit of an addict.

Edited by msw2112

Which rookie QB has this not been said about? Descriptors like "picks things up quickly" and "poised" should be the baseline. You could say the same exact things about Peterman, except his throwing motion isn't horrendous and he didn't cost two 1st round picks. Every rookie QB has picked up an NFL offense and looks like they belong on the field in the preseason. That's all meaningless. When the real bullets fly if he hasn't fixed his mechanics he will be a major bust.

He looks completely relaxed out there. I don't think real games will make a difference.

He won't be playing against 2nd and 3rd string players in real games. That's a huge difference. Not saying Mahomes won't be good. But rather that I can't put too much stock into pre-season. With Alex Smith there he won't likely play much this year unless there is an injury or Smith is horrendous. Mahomes is a gun slinger type. He makes plays but he also makes bad decisions.

I would relax before calling him the second coming of Bret Farve. Too much stock put into pre-season.

real games, they make a difference.

we shall see, given smith goes down with an injury, if it makes a difference.

just something about him doesn't strike me as the next, well, whoever had great success at the position.

Which rookie QB has this not been said about? Descriptors like "picks things up quickly" and "poised" should be the baseline. You could say the same exact things about Peterman, except his throwing motion isn't horrendous and he didn't cost two 1st round picks. Every rookie QB has picked up an NFL offense and looks like they belong on the field in the preseason. That's all meaningless. When the real bullets fly if he hasn't fixed his mechanics he will be a major bust.

no, it isn't anything like Peterman. If anything, Peterman might win the job by default, based on TT's play and the possibility/probability of tanking the season.

The talk in KC is more of.."Alex is good..but...what Mahomes has been showing...how can we keep him off the field?"

Im not here to dog Peterman, he's a Bill and I liked the pick, and I hope he makes it.

But the love for Mahomes in KC is radically different.