Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

I watched that video 4 times and I still don't really get what was so impressive with that performance? I wasn't all that impressed with his preseason week 1 performance either...

That TD throw was good, and that 2nd last throw in the video was pretty nice. Maybe that 1 throw at about 35 seconds in to the middle of the field (although a pretty standard throw). Other than that I struggled to find anything to say I was really impressed with...

He looked like a very raw rookie QB IMO.

They had him playing almost exclusively from the shotgun, he had quite a bit of time to throw and I thought he was still pretty quick to scramble. That's about the only time I thought he looked truly comfortable, was when he was scrambling. He seems to have no idea how to step up and play in the pocket.

The couple snaps he took from under center, his footwork was horrendous on his drops (although I thought his footwork was pretty bad overall). His throwing motion still looks like it did in college. He was missing throws, didn't look to be going through his progressions - a lot of times it seemed like if his 1st read wasn't open he'd start scrambling/running (although it's hard to tell from this video). I thought KC did a lot of stuff on offense to make it easier for Mahomes and I still thought he somewhat struggled.

Honestly, I've been more impressed with what I've seen from Peterman than what I've seen from Mahomes. Just my opinion though. Peterman looks much more comfortable under center and in the pocket, and has done a good job of going through progressions and finding hismopen receivers.

I'm not expert at evaluating QBs though, so take my opinion for what it's worth...

It's not just about improving from Tyrod, either. It's about finding a legit franchise QB. I'm not sure yet that Mahomes will be one. He landed in a very good spot though, so time will tell.

Everything about Mahomes is spot on and exactly what I was thinking. I haven't been very impressed with Peterman to this point. Hard to judge anyone behind that offensive line though.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

Just so early for all of this

I'm basing that opinion on Gilmore's experience in the league vs Tre being a rookie. While Tre seems like a fine player I don't see any way he's even close to Gilmore skill level in the next 2 to three years. Combined with the fact that the greatest coach of all times chose Gilmore at 14 million a year when he probably could have had a darn good chance at picking Tre in the draft.

As far as Mahomes, it's kinda the same thing. Right now I'd trust Andy Reid's opinion of a player, because of his proven success in the league and level of experience, vs. our unproven coaches resume.

I feel like we would be a better team in 2017 with Mahomes and Gilmore. More talented. Mahomes would be a better 2nd string QB than Peterman.

I didn't get to see the game but the stat line sure doesn't look pretty - http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

3 for 9, 16 total yards 33.3% completion per. with an average of 1.78yds per att.

My friend is on holiday on the west coast and took his lady friend to see the Raiders last night.... apparently she has asked him this morning to never do that again. Watching Manuel can do that to a person.

The Ragand trade and pick hurt the team twice

The Ragland pick was a legacy of the Rex debacle. The disastrous short stint by the cartoonish Rex is due to the foolishness of the new owners. In two short years the loud HC sent this franchise back by four years. Not only were the two years he coached a waste but also it is going to take two years to clean out the mess he brought.

Ragland is a victim of circumstances. He was drafted for a team that now he is not suited for. In a sense he is a victim of organizational ineptitude. By next year I see him on another roster.

The Ragland pick was a legacy of the Rex debacle. The disastrous short stint by the cartoonish Rex is due to the foolishness of the new owners. In two short years the loud HC sent this franchise back by four years. Not only were the two years he coached a waste but also it is going to take two years to clean out the mess he brought.

Ragland is a victim of circumstances. He was drafted for a team that now he is not suited for. In a sense he is a victim of organizational ineptitude. By next year I see him on another roster.

....no sense in expecting this coaching staff to help the kid transition......makes perfect sense....the "One 'n Done" crowd speaketh.......go figure............

....no sense in expecting this coaching staff to help the kid transition......makes perfect sense....the "One 'n Done" crowd speaketh.......go figure............

It's not a question of coaching a young player up or not. The issue is the defensive system now in place. In Rex's 3/4 alignment Ragland was suited for that particular defense. He was an inside backer who focused on the running game. In the wrestling coach's defensive scheme his scheme for LBs is to be less big thumpers and more able to cover and be quicker in order to cover. That's not Rag's strength.

Edited by JohnC

Cian Fahey @Cianaf

Mahomes threw for 88 yards on 14 attempts and about half of those yards came on screens...

2:54 PM · Aug 20, 2017

What part am I supposed to be super impressed with?

Don't you know that dump off screens are much more important than perfect back shoulder throws between 2 defenders?

It's not a question of coaching a young player up or not. The issue is the defensive system now in place. In Rex's 3/4 alignment Ragland was suited for that particular defense. He was an inside backer who focused on the running game. In the wrestling coach's defensive scheme his scheme for LBs is to be less big thumpers and more able to cover and be quicker in order to cover. That's not Rag's strength.

..so in other words, you feel he cannot make the transition if properly coached?....I'm posing a legit question for your assessment......

The team has not been set back by 4 years. They were set back only 2: the last 2. Thankfully Ryan didn't get rid of a lot of the 4-3 talent they had and Ragland was the only true 3-4 player he/the Bills drafted. Now that they 4-3 is back, the DL looks as good as ever, and they're finding LB and secondary pieces, the defense should be much improved. Now the main concern is the offense.

..so in other words, you feel he cannot make the transition if properly coached?....I'm posing a legit question for your assessment......

He was a high pick who won't be able to play at a high level for this particular defensive system in which he calls for skills and attributes he doesn't have. It's like a nose tackle who is suited for a particular line alignment and not for a conventional 4/3 alignment. Mario Williams was a demon when used properly but was ineffective in Rex's system. (Not excusing Mario's seditious conduct.) There are CBs that are good cover DBs but aren't suited for zone coverage. Different attributes and skill sets. There are different skill sets for inside receivers and outside receivers. I'm not suggesting that there is always a mutual exclusion in different systems but getting the right fit between a type of player and a system is important.

My friend is on holiday on the west coast and took his lady friend to see the Raiders last night.... apparently she has asked him this morning to never do that again. Watching Manuel can do that to a person.

Lmao.

Yup, I know that feeling...

Everything about Mahomes is spot on and exactly what I was thinking. I haven't been very impressed with Peterman to this point. Hard to judge anyone behind that offensive line though.

Yeah, the o line hasn't done any Bills QB any favors thus far...

I haven't been blown away by Peterson by any means. I thought he's been decent to good. But when comparing him to guys like Watson and Mahomes who cost two 1st round picks (and an additional 3rd in Mahomes case), I think I've possibly seen more of the stuff that I personally look for in a starting QB out of Peterson - like poise, pocket presence, reading defenses, going through progressions etc.

But It's only been a couple preseason games and Peterson was said to be more pro-ready. Watson and Mahomes are definitely more physically gifted. They have plenty of time to prove they're worth what was given up. I guess I just don't see what some are hyping them up over just yet though.

Trubisky is really the only 2017 rookie QB who has actually somewhat impressed me (albeit it's against 3rd stringers in preseason).

The team has not been set back by 4 years. They were set back only 2: the last 2. Thankfully Ryan didn't get rid of a lot of the 4-3 talent they had and Ragland was the only true 3-4 player he/the Bills drafted. Now that they 4-3 is back, the DL looks as good as ever, and they're finding LB and secondary pieces, the defense should be much improved. Now the main concern is the offense.

...so in your view, is the Raglund kid a viable candidate to transition from 3-4 to 4-3 with proper coaching?.............

Cian Fahey @Cianaf

Mahomes threw for 88 yards on 14 attempts and about half of those yards came on screens...

2:54 PM · Aug 20, 2017

What part am I supposed to be super impressed with?

The half that weren't on screens?

Anyway, you don't have to be impressed he was drafted by the Chiefs. If and when he makes it with the Chiefs, there is always:

-Hindsight is 20-20;

-He wasn't the guy our coaches wanted;

-We REALLY needed a CB! (my personal favorite).

to fall back on.

The half that weren't on screens?

Anyway, you don't have to be impressed he was drafted by the Chiefs. If and when he makes it with the Chiefs, there is always:

-Hindsight is 20-20;

-He wasn't the guy our coaches wanted;

-We REALLY needed a CB! (my personal favorite).

to fall back on.

He seriously wasn't that impressive