Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

Just to add fuel to the fire.... This is why you don't let your lame duck GM run your draft.

Kansas City Chiefs: Alex Smith vs. Patrick Mahomes

Andy Reid is absolutely clear in saying Alex Smith is his guy. And I believe him. I've been one of Alex Smith's biggest fans.

But it was Reid who brilliantly traded up to grab Mahomes as his quarterback of the future. Have you seen the rookie this preseason? It's like he was built in a quarterback factory, with skills that turn heads and drop jaws. And he's a great guy and leader.

Alex Smith is the quarterback -- for now. But what happens if the reigning AFC West champions get off to a slow start in the regular season? What happens if Tyreek Hill is not being utilized as a downfield threat? What happens if the red-zone offense stalls? What happens if Smith looks like the scuffling quarterback he was in Kansas City's last real game, a frustrating home playoff loss to Pittsburgh?

You know what everyone will be thinking ...

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually hadn't watched Mahomes when I formed the opinion that he "looks good" in his preseason play in a thread I recently started, I was going off of his preseason stats, so essentially I was merely stating that his numbers look pretty good.

Just looked at his throws in both preseason games for the heck of it last night, and I'm reminded of why I preferred Nathan Peterman in a later round, over Mahomes with the 10th pick, or in any round with both still available.

Someone stated that drafting Nathan Peterman in the 3rd or 4th rd., where I felt he could've gone, would've been a reach; the Chiefs and Andy Reid got their guy, but I definitely think they reached for Mahomes, especially considering what they gave up to move up to get him.

Despite the success Mahomes has had in the preseason, and he may be an extraordinary talent, he just looks awkward and very un-NFL QB at times after the snap.

Edited by BurpleBull

I actually hadn't watched Mahomes when I formed the opinion that he "looks good" in his preseason play in a thread I recently started, I was going off of his preseason stats, so essentially I was merely stating that his numbers look pretty good.

Just looked at his throws in both preseason games for the heck of it last night, and I'm reminded of why I preferred Nathan Peterman in a later round, over Mahomes with the 10th pick, or in any round with both still available.

Someone stated that drafting Nathan Peterman in the 3rd or 4th rd., where I felt he could've gone, would've been a reach; the Chiefs and Andy Reid got their guy, but I definitely think they reached for Mahomes, especially considering what they gave up to move up to get him.

Despite the success Mahomes has had in the preseason, and he may be an extraordinary talent, he just looks awkward and very un-NFL QB at times after the snap.

Exactly. For some perspective, worriers should check out our own 2015 pre-season stats and the three games EJ Manuel had. 20-for-30, 4 tds, 0 ints, 146 qb rating. It's pre-season. Maybe Mahomes will work out and we will regret it. Maybe he'll be great and so will Tre' White and whoever we get with their first pick next year, and one way or another our QB situation is still solved (Tyrod, Peterman, the 2018 pick, or otherwise). However, we should never judge anything based on the first two pre-season games; this is especially true when it's a rookie QB going against second stringers or worse.

Edited by thurst44

There is no way we will be worse than Jets and Niners...meaning no matter how much we tank, we still get the 3rd QB. So why even bother and instead keep a more talented roster for that young QB to work with and develop faster?

Seriously, people have no concept of the reality of what is really going to happen this year and in the draft. Both Niners and Jets will be competing for #1 spot, the other will get the 2nd, and both will take a QB. We will be taking the 3rd QB regardless, nothing any trade whining can fix...and thats assuming we do take a QB as there is still the possibility that either Taylor or Peterman can play their way into the job this year, even if people think thats a long shot or impossible, it can still happen.

Again, lets assume neither QB makes a legit case for themselves like many believe...we are still drafting the 3rd QB prospect no matter what even if we trade Shady and Taylor (which has been constantly reported that we WONT be) we are still a more talented roster than Niners and Jets. Odds of his leap frogging them in a "tank-off" is very low. And those teams are not going to trade away a chance at the franchise QB they desperately need unless they feel there is a 3rd guy they like better, in which we should just target that 3rd guy too and save as many of our draft assets as we can for more players.

It might not be Alpha but this sounds horribly like you starting to pre-justify us passing on a QB in the early rounds again in 2018......

It might not be Alpha but this sounds horribly like you starting to pre-justify us passing on a QB in the early rounds again in 2018......

That would be criminally stupid.

There is no way we will be worse than Jets and Niners...meaning no matter how much we tank, we still get the 3rd QB. So why even bother and instead keep a more talented roster for that young QB to work with and develop faster?

Seriously, people have no concept of the reality of what is really going to happen this year and in the draft. Both Niners and Jets will be competing for #1 spot, the other will get the 2nd, and both will take a QB. We will be taking the 3rd QB regardless, nothing any trade whining can fix...and thats assuming we do take a QB as there is still the possibility that either Taylor or Peterman can play their way into the job this year, even if people think thats a long shot or impossible, it can still happen.

Again, lets assume neither QB makes a legit case for themselves like many believe...we are still drafting the 3rd QB prospect no matter what even if we trade Shady and Taylor (which has been constantly reported that we WONT be) we are still a more talented roster than Niners and Jets. Odds of his leap frogging them in a "tank-off" is very low. And those teams are not going to trade away a chance at the franchise QB they desperately need unless they feel there is a 3rd guy they like better, in which we should just target that 3rd guy too and save as many of our draft assets as we can for more players.

Bills aren't going to be good, so I don't know how you are saying this with such certainty. Also, do not be surprised at all to see Cousins in a 49ers uniform next year...

dang,

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/8/19/16174792/watch-every-patrick-mahomes-pass-and-rush-from-the-chiefs-2nd-preseason-game

Will this be yet another Wilson, Carr, Prescott, Bills didn't pick the franchise QB sitting there situation? Dude's only 21 and he looks more poise than Taylor (12 of the top 14 topics on TSW are on him lol) has ever shown.

EJ looked good during preseason at times, hell Peterman and Yates have looked good. Mahomes will be average and the Chiefs will benefit yet again from an easy schedule with a weak ass division that only has one strong team.

Oakland is the best team in that division, Denver and LA aren't very good. Chiefs will more than likely split with Oakland and sweep the other two. 5-1 in their division and then they will go 5-5 outside of their division and end up 10-6 barely making the playoffs only to loose in the first round when they have to play an actual playoff caliber team. Happens every year.

Consider this, in 1984 1983 Dan Marino wasn't considered the top QB nor was he considered in the top 3 yet he was the second to last pick in the first round and look how that turned out for Miami.

1984 QB's draft order:

1. Elway
  2. Blackledge
  3. Kelly
  4. Eason
  5. O’Brien
  6. Marino

I'm not worried about where the Bills pick their QB just as long as they get the one to run their system to the best.

Edited by Yav

Consider this, in 1984 Dan Marino wasn't considered the top QB nor was he considered in the top 3 yet he was the second to last pick in the first round and look how that turned out for Miami.

1984 QB's draft order:

1. Elway
  2. Blackledge
  3. Kelly
  4. Eason
  5. O’Brien
  6. Marino

I'm not worried about where the Bills pick their QB just as long as they get the one to run their system to the best.

Come on man! 1983 was the year of those QBs.

EJ looked good during preseason at times, hell Peterman and Yates have looked good. Mahomes will be average and the Chiefs will benefit yet again from an easy schedule with a weak ass division that only has one strong team.

Oakland is the best team in that division, Denver and LA aren't very good. Chiefs will more than likely split with Oakland and sweep the other two. 5-1 in their division and then they will go 5-5 outside of their division and end up 10-6 barely making the playoffs only to loose in the first round when they have to play an actual playoff caliber team. Happens every year.

It just makes you wonder if the Bills were in ANY other division would this 17 year streak be a thing? The Chiefs have been using this model for the past 5 years... Never have they been the best team in the AFC West yet they have been to the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years.

Edited by Rad Likes The Bills

1) the preseason is annoying and the less of it, the better.

2). Bunch of liars who won't be really excited if we had Mahomes and he was doing this for us. It doesn't mean it will translate but he will be exciting, good or bad.

We have people going crazy for Peterman, who is as exciting as Trent Edwards.

No no no...dont imply that at all. What I am saying is that both the Jets and Niners seem destined for a just a few wins each at best. They both desperately need a QB. We can't draft what is not available to us. If there is a QB worth giving up a bounty for, I seriously doubt they don't just stay put and take the guy themselves as its a massive need for them and the key piece for a rebuild. So more than likely, they wont be willing to trade with us anyway, so we are almost certainly looking at targeting the 3rd QB in this draft whether we tank or not because we just have a better roster than those teams.

Now, that doesn't mean there isn't a great prospect for us, this next draft is looking very rich at QB...of course, all that can change as the season plays out, but either way, I feel there is going to be a top prospect for us to target whether its at the spot we actually have or if we trade and move up. I just don't expect either the Niners or Jets to be willing to move down in lieu of the QB they desire. And if they are willing to move down, its likely because they feel there is another guy they like close to, as much as, or possibly more than the guy we covet and feel they can still get him.

Again, if TT or Peterman fail to show this team they are the guy for the future this year, I 100% expect and FULLY support going hard after a QB in the top 10 of the draft next year, including an expensive trade up if needed to get our guy. My comments were strictly on my doubts, ESPECIALLY the Jets who are in our division, of those teams being willing to trade down from their likely top 4 selections, if not top 2. Jags could also be in that conversation too, and I would doubt they would pass on a QB as well as Bortles is done IMO.

Sometimes the 3rd QB is Big Ben. And the 4th is JP

Fair enough Alpha. I think if Cousins goes to San Fran and are in that top 2 that will be the deal. They desperately need the picks to re-stock the roster and we have more ammunition than most.

If it is Jets and Browns (probably means Kizer isn't the guy) or Jets and Jags I think we might be in greater difficulty.

It just makes you wonder if the Bills were in ANY other division would this 17 year streak be a thing? The Chiefs have been using this model for the past 5 years... Never have they been the best team in the AFC West yet they have been to the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years.

Chiefs finished 1st last season and beat the raiders twice.

Chiefs have something like the 4th best record in the NFL since 2013.

Consider this, in 1984 Dan Marino wasn't considered the top QB nor was he considered in the top 3 yet he was the second to last pick in the first round and look how that turned out for Miami.

1984 QB's draft order:

1. Elway
  2. Blackledge
  3. Kelly
  4. Eason
  5. O’Brien
  6. Marino

You misunderstood me...I wasn't saying anything about our draft spot. I was responding to people saying to tank to go higher, and my point was we likely still don't leap frog Jets and Niners, probably not even the Jags. All need QB's. So there is no point in tanking as its not going to likely improve our ability to leap frog some other needy QB teams. Might as well keep our talent, then focus on trading up if need be or taking a guy where we sit so that young QB comes to a better roster. So I have no issue of taking the 3rd QB or whatever, was not my point at all. I am advocating against TANKING as I think it does very little for us in the draft and only weakens this team and makes the rebuild take longer.

I agree...read my comment above in this reply. People missed what I was talking about.

Fair enough Alpha. I think if Cousins goes to San Fran and are in that top 2 that will be the deal. They desperately need the picks to re-stock the roster and we have more ammunition than most.

If it is Jets and Browns (probably means Kizer isn't the guy) or Jets and Jags I think we might be in greater difficulty.

And yes, I totally agree that is a very fair and possible point about Cousins. However, my entire point was against tanking. I don't want to gut this team of talent for more picks on the off chance that a perfect scenario works out where we somehow end up with a worse record that the other teams desperate for a QB.

And, more importantly, the Niners signing Cousins would be huge for us because that would mean their more than likely top 4 possibly top 2 or #1 overall, pick more likely to be in play for a trade...making our need to tank even less necessary because we already have enough trade assets to move up. So again, my whole point is tanking is absurd idea because we more than likely don't move high enough to change what QBs will be available to us and would only prolong our rebuild as we would have a lot more holes to fill before we could compete.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I think that was their calculation in passing the pick in 2017. In 2018, the 3rd best QB could be very well like Trubisky, while a Mahomes-level QB slides to the bottom of the round or 2nd