Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is. No one can dispute this fact. Many of us are excited because we think THAT is coachable. We think those things can and will improve over time, whereas, you can either make the incredible plays that he CAN AND DOES make, or you can't. There isn't a coach or system etc that does that....and it is this that we are so excited about. Again...you don't need a number to quantify this...you can SEE this (and I love numbers, but there isn't a number for this)

What you don't get is Bills fans have seen this before. The last two QBs we picked in the first round also had the big arm and would make you go Wow with some of their throws, spefically their arm strength. But both Losman and Manuel never made it because they could not handle the mental aspects of the position. We'll see whatMahomes does but it's way too early to know. And history suggest the one read shotgun guys have a hard time in the big league.

Mahomes is still really young. He looks like a kid. Give him 2 years on the bench and let him.mature imo

Thats his best chance at sustained success in the NFL IMO. When I watch him play, I see a kid with great arm talents and very unreliable and poor mechanics. He wont be able to get away with things in the NFL when teams game plan for him like he did in college, those mechanics issues and the tendency to throw off his back foot will be a recipe for inconsistency and turnovers in the NFL. Give the kid some time to improve those first, and thats not something that is a quick change typically.

I think he is in a good situation with Smith there to hold down the fort for at least a year, if not 2 and really focus on improving those issues. If he doesn't improve them, all my doubts about his ability to be a starter in this league will persist. No one has ever questioned his arm talent, its the basics that concern me with him.

Mahomes is still really young. He looks like a kid. Give him 2 years on the bench and let him.mature imo

Reminds of JP for sure. cocky, big arm, mobile, crap mechanics and questionable pocket awareness. However, he's got Andy Reid and Alex Smith to learn from. We'll see if the Chiefs can develop him better than the Bills could JP

Unfortunately for them it's just as likely he is Jeff George. But he surely has a chance. I like him. I wouldn't bet on him. But you really can't bet on any of these guys more than 50%.

The one thing he isn't is a Jeff George type player or person who is unparalleled as a passer but was resistant to any coaching other than what he wanted to do. George was a classic passer with pure form but he was an island onto himself with no concept of being a leader. Jeff George is the definition of the word aloof. Mahomes is the opposite. He is a dynamic passer with a lack of consistent form. What differentiates the two qbs is that Mahomes is coachable and is a hard worker. While George was detached from his teammates (he could care less) Mahomes was instilled by his father, a pro baseball player, that he is more than an individual player, he is a teammate.

Over the years the Bills have passed on a lot of good qb prospects. In my view McDermott made a mistake on passing on Mahomes, a player that Whaley wanted. Without a doubt it is going to take some time for Mahomes to develop his raw game to a more finished product. But he has the personal attributes that will allow him to grow as a player.

Many people were put off by JeffisMagic's haranguing about Mahomes. In my opinion he was right.

The one thing he isn't is a Jeff George type player or person who is unparalleled as a passer but was resistant to any coaching other than what he wanted to do. George was a classic passer with pure form but he was an island onto himself with no concept of being a leader. Jeff George is the definition of the word aloof. Mahomes is the opposite. He is a dynamic passer with a lack of consistent form. What differentiates the two qbs is that Mahomes is coachable and is a hard worker. While George was detached from his teammates (he could care less) Mahomes was instilled by his father, a pro baseball player, that he is more than an individual player, he is a teammate.

Over the years the Bills have passed on a lot of good qb prospects. In my view McDermott made a mistake on passing on Mahomes, a player that Whaley wanted. Without a doubt it is going to take some time for Mahomes to develop his raw game to a more finished product. But he has the personal attributes that will allow him to grow as a player.

Many people were put off by JeffisMagic's haranguing about Mahomes. In my opinion he was right.

Maybe. And maybe he's another Losman. Time will tell but the shotgun, one read types coming out of college these days haven't had much success.

Maybe. And maybe he's another Losman. Time will tell but the shotgun, one read types coming out of college these days haven't had much success.

Andy Reid >>>>> The Bills evaluating/ evaluating qbs in their entire franchise history except Jim Kelly

I hate it but it's the truth. I'm not sure guys like Losman or Manuel would have ever turned into something but they would have had a much better shot under Andy Reid than in Buffalo.

In general one read college qbs struggle when introduced to the pro game. However, in general, the one read offenses are the mainstay of the college game. Dak Prescott quickly made the transition with a very good situation in Dallas. There is a learning process and a lot of good coaching involved in successfully making the transition. In my opinion Mahomes is in a good situation with Reid and a credible qb already in place. The Bills have a history on passing on good qb prospect; the Bills have a history of losing. Those two realities are intertwined.

I

In general one read college qbs struggle when introduced to the pro game. However, in general, the one read offenses are the mainstay of the college game. Dak Prescott quickly made the transition with a very good situation in Dallas. There is a learning process and a lot of good coaching involved in successfully making the transition. In my opinion Mahomes is in a good situation with Reid and a credible qb already in place. The Bills have a history on passing on good qb prospect; the Bills have a history of losing. Those two realities are intertwined.

I

. Prescott is one guy. What about everyone the Jets have drafted recently? As I said Mahomes may or may not make it but athleticism and a big arm aren't enough in the NFL.

As for the Bills drafting I wish people around here would come to the realization that there is a new HC and GM. They are not responsible for other's prior decisions. What McDermott did was indeed draft a QB that many felt was the most pro ready guy in the draft.

Andy Reid >>>>> The Bills evaluating/ evaluating qbs in their entire franchise history except Jim Kelly

I hate it but it's the truth. I'm not sure guys like Losman or Manuel would have ever turned into something but they would have had a much better shot under Andy Reid than in Buffalo.

. Other than McNabb who got to one SB when has Andy Reid been a QB guru? Don't tell me Favre either since he wasn't in charge of personnel decisions for the Pack then.

. Prescott is one guy. What about everyone the Jets have drafted recently? As I said Mahomes may or may not make it but athleticism and a big arm aren't enough in the NFL.

As for the Bills drafting I wish people around here would come to the realization that there is a new HC and GM. They are not responsible for other's prior decisions. What McDermott did was indeed draft a QB that many felt was the most pro ready guy in the draft.

. Other than McNabb who got to one SB when has Andy Reid been a QB guru? Don't tell me Favre either since he wasn't in charge of personnel decisions for the Pack then.

1) honestly, what have McDermott proven to know about qbs? He is a DC and Beane is a first time head coach.

I want Peterman to be good but why does the most pro ready qb slide to the 5th? And sometimes most pro ready means a low ceiling.

2) Reid was Farve's qb coach before he had proven anything in the NFL. Farce gives him a ton of credit. http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/18441/brett-favre-recalls-andy-reid-fondly-as-his-qb-coach

Reid also coached the dog killer to far and away the best passing season of his career. He made scrubs Kevin Kolb & AJ Feely look good enough to get a 2nd round picks. He took Captain Checkdown 2.0 Alex Smith and made him into a playoff qb every year.

Honestly, you don't know football if you are questioning Reid's work with qbs. If Andy Reid was hired by the Bills, I believe we would have ended the drought and found a qb by now. We would lose in the playoffs but still we would be way better off.

1) honestly, what have McDermott proven to know about qbs? He is a DC and Beane is a first time head coach.

I want Peterman to be good but why does the most pro ready qb slide to the 5th? And sometimes most pro ready means a low ceiling.

2) Reid was Farve's qb coach before he had proven anything in the NFL. Farce gives him a ton of credit. http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/18441/brett-favre-recalls-andy-reid-fondly-as-his-qb-coach

Reid also coached the dog killer to far and away the best passing season of his career. He made scrubs Kevin Kolb & AJ Feely look good enough to get a 2nd round picks. He took Captain Checkdown 2.0 Alex Smith and made him into a playoff qb every year.

Honestly, you don't know football if you are questioning Reid's work with qbs. If Andy Reid was hired by the Bills, I believe we would have ended the drought and found a qb by now. We would lose in the playoffs but still we would be way better off.

I am not as enamored with Reid as you are obviously. I would say he designs offenses to better suit the QBs he has. As for Peterman I think he fell because of the arm strength thing, but I think we all agree thus far he looks like he's doing OK. As for McDs knowledge it always amuses me when guys on a message board think they know more about NFL players than a guy who's coached in the league for years, and has had to study QBs to prepare defenses against them.

I just think I understand the reasoning of the trade down for the 1s round pick

- Tre White was the best cover corner in a draft that was strong at corner.....so to get him later like that was a real feather in Beanes cap

- The first pick in a strong qb draft was of course a look at the future. Once again....really could not fault Bean here

- Peterman is showing me something...and he didnt do it against just 2's and 3'd....he got thrown into the fire when TT went down with this concussion in what is basically the most important game of the preseason for teams......he showed he was mobile, accurate, throw over the middle, all that.

Its our OL that is scaring the crap out of me right now

Beane wasn't here for the draft. It was McDermott/Whaley.

High ceiling , low ceiling is completely arbitrary.

Some guys are can't miss prospects and they do miss.

Other guys are low ceiling prospects like Tom Brady and they become the best ever. Its more than physical attributes, it also takes brains and relentlessness and a work ethic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000838828/article/chiefs-gm-mahomes-not-even-close-to-alex-smith?campaign=Twitter_atn

Chiefs GM: Mahomes not 'even close' to Alex Smith

"Coach made a statement a few days back, there's no gray area. Alex (Smith) is our quarterback," Veach said, via the team's official website. "Alex is so far advanced from the mental side of things in regards to his ability to read coverages, to shift to better plays and really play the chess game. He's so far ahead of what Pat (Mahomes) is.

"I don't think it's even close right now. But going back to Pat, the development he has made and the strides he has taken in those departments has exceeded our expectations to this point. So we're excited where we are and again the longer that Alex and Pat are together, the better we will be."