McBeane should of given

This team a chance to compete. I have a few reasons . Last 2 seasons under Rex the Bills were basically a 500 team going 15-16 with Rex. They lost over 10 gms by one score or less during that time period. That's 15 wins with a ton of injures to the core players and with a system that didn't fit the defense.

I'm shocked McBeane wasn't able to put these facts in perspective. With finally a Healthy Sammy and a Focused Dareus those were 2 building blocks moving forward plus the return of Wood, Kyle and a slew of others and return to the 4-3 D this team could have won over 10gms easily.

If you want to talk about putting things in perspective, the only position that's really changed is Sammy, who was out most of last year. And they were close to playoffs last year. Plus they added Matthews and Bolden.

Your post doesn't make a lot of sense. Dareus is indeed back and hopefully focused, and the rest of the roster is still OK. The only area that really got overhauled was the DB's. Our new rookie CB seems to be a find, and the safeties certainly seem like an upgrade. And Darby for Grimes (or Johnson) seems like a wash.

So what perspective does Beane not have, exactly?

I just posted this on another thread ... check out this stat .. but to your point of being 500 .. there have been many chances for 4th quarter comebacks

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_active.htm

Tyrod for his career .. yes career only has (2) 4th quarter comebacks .. Dak doubled this up last year in his first year in the league ... I think McBeane is looking to move on from mediocre 500 or less football ... I'm not a Tyrod hater ... but expected him to do more with the starting reigns after years holding the clipboard in Baltimore ... 44% completion percentage in 4th quarter last year in the 4th quarter within 7 points ... time to rebuild.

I am glad the 4-3 defense is back ... but have faith in the new regime and plan .. this year might be slightly worse ... short term pain ... long term gain.

If you want to talk about putting things in perspective, the only position that's really changed is Sammy, who was out most of last year. And they were close to playoffs last year. Plus they added Matthews and Bolden.

Your post doesn't make a lot of sense. Dareus is indeed back and hopefully focused, and the rest of the roster is still OK. The only area that really got overhauled was the DB's. Our new rookie CB seems to be a find, and the safeties certainly seem like an upgrade. And Darby for Grimes (or Johnson) seems like a wash.

So what perspective does Beane not have, exactly?

5 different starters on offense - 5 different starters on defense - that is almost half the team dude. His post does make sense.

Why do you keep calling the one guy Grimes? Isn't his last name Gaines?

This team a chance to compete. I have a few reasons . Last 2 seasons under Rex the Bills were basically a 500 team going 15-16 with Rex. They lost over 10 gms by one score or less during that time period. That's 15 wins with a ton of injures to the core players and with a system that didn't fit the defense.

I'm shocked McBeane wasn't able to put these facts in perspective. With finally a Healthy Sammy and a Focused Dareus those were 2 building blocks moving forward plus the return of Wood, Kyle and a slew of others and return to the 4-3 D this team could have won over 10gms easily.

I get what you mean. You would think if you just fixed Rex's biggest mistakes that the Bills would be more competitive this year than last. You might be right. I don't think it really works that way though. Different year. Different schedule.

Teams are more prepared against you if your scheme is identical. Bills were/are unlikely to remain that dominant in the run game. Although I think their passing game was ready to take it to a new level towards the end of the season. If that passing game took that step forward, you would likely be right. This team would have been substantially better yet.

The things the Bills have going for them in these early games is the unpredictability of the style of play and play calling. Let's hope the new guys in the new system get clicking early on.

5 different starters on offense - 5 different starters on defense - that is almost half the team dude. His post does make sense.

I get what you mean. You would think if you just fixed Rex's biggest mistakes that the Bills would be more competitive this year than last. You might be right. I don't think it really works that way though. Different year. Different schedule.

Teams are more prepared against you if your scheme is identical. Bills were/are unlikely to remain that dominant in the run game. Although I think their passing game was ready to take it to a new level towards the end of the season. If that passing game took that step forward, you would likely be right. This team would have been substantially better yet.

The things the Bills have going for them in these early games is the unpredictability of the style of play and play calling. Let's hope the new guys in the new system get clicking early on.

Let's talk about the offense then. You say there's 5 new guys on offense. Not at QB. Not at RB. Not at TE. And not on the O line. So at FB, and any reasonable analysis says the new FB is an upgrade. And at WR instead of Woods, Goodwin, and Powell we have Jones, Matthews and Bolden. Sammy didn't play most of last year and obviously won't this year. So are you going to tell me we're worse on offense this year? The two biggest questions on offense are the new scheme and Glenn's health. Assuming Glenn can go, you have the same guys blocking up front that gave the # 1rushing attack last year.

So again, tell me where Beane has lost perspective?

And yes I have a brain freeze with Gaines' name.

5 new starters on offense? As far as I can tell, there are only 11 positions, and the 5 offensive lineman will be the same (If Cordy is healthy) Clay, Shady and TT are also starters. There are only 3 new starters on offense, Dimarco, and 2 of the 3 of Anquan/Matthews/Jones.

Let's talk about the offense then. You say there's 5 new guys on offense. Not at QB. Not at RB. Not at TE. And not on the O line. So at FB, and any reasonable analysis says the new FB is an upgrade. And at WR instead of Woods, Goodwin, and Powell we have Jones, Matthews and Bolden. Sammy didn't play most of last year and obviously won't this year. So are you going to tell me we're worse on offense this year? The two biggest questions on offense are the new scheme and Glenn's health. Assuming Glenn can go, you have the same guys blocking up front that gave the # 1rushing attack last year.

So again, tell me where Beane has lost perspective?

And yes I have a brain freeze with Gaines' name.

I don't know if they'll be better or worse on offense. Could go either way.

I think they will pass more often which is a good thing. However, I worry about the lack of chemistry between Tyrod and any of the receivers. Maybe that chemistry develops quickly. Hope so. Because this Bills team's passing game looked like complete and total garbage last year in games when Tyrod only had receivers he had no chemistry with.

Maybe that doesn't happen this year. I don't know. I am guessing it might be an issue based on last year as an example. But who knows - maybe Clay will become his new favorite receiver and that could be a good thing.

5 new starters on offense? As far as I can tell, there are only 11 positions, and the 5 offensive lineman will be the same (If Cordy is healthy) Clay, Shady and TT are also starters. There are only 3 new starters on offense, Dimarco, and 2 of the 3 of Anquan/Matthews/Jones.

3 receivers, FB, OL - That is how I arrived at 5 - Maybe Glenn plays - don't know. He has not been very reliable.

I'd argue the complete opposite that Beane is giving us a chance to compete both long term and short term.

Mathews will end the season with more yards and td's then Sammy

Boldin will end the season with more yards then Woods

Williams will end the season with more yards and td's then Gillislee

Our D will be improved over last years D

Our 2018 draft will set this team up for the long haul.

We gave up nothing in these transactions. Watkins was only potential, still unproven that his skills are capable of being on the field when needed. Darby can play but has not demonstrated he is a top CB.

This team needs players who can show up and can lead. Sammy types who over estimate their impact cause turmoil with their expectations. " Give me the ball !!!!! I showed up this week so you should all be thankful. ".

I'd argue the complete opposite that Beane is giving us a chance to compete both long term and short term.

Mathews will end the season with more yards and td's then Sammy

Boldin will end the season with more yards then Woods

Williams will end the season with more yards and td's then Gillislee

Our D will be improved over last years D

Our 2018 draft will set this team up for the long haul.

Love your optimism.

You may have put too much Irish Whiskey in your coffee though. :w00t:

I don't know if they'll be better or worse on offense. Could go either way.

I think they will pass more often which is a good thing. However, I worry about the lack of chemistry between Tyrod and any of the receivers. Maybe that chemistry develops quickly. Hope so. Because this Bills team's passing game looked like complete and total garbage last year in games when Tyrod only had receivers he had no chemistry with.

Maybe that doesn't happen this year. I don't know. I am guessing it might be an issue based on last year as an example. But who knows - maybe Clay will become his new favorite receiver and that could be a good thing.

3 receivers, FB, OL - That is how I arrived at 5 - Maybe Glenn plays - don't know. He has not been very reliable.

To go back to the OP then where has the GM lost perspective?

Love your optimism.

You may have put too much Irish Whiskey in your coffee though. :w00t:

I do love me some Irish Whiskey, But seriously I can see everything I stated happing.

Odds are Sammy does not play the full season so by availability Mathews should out produce him.

Woods could struggle with that QB (along with Sammy)

Williams looks like he is going to have a solid season and will see a ton of red zone touches.

Our D will be better coached and play the scheme that fits what they do best. So they should improve.

To go back to the OP then where has the GM lost perspective?

Ask the OP.

I merely pointed out that changing 10 of 22 players is a big deal. It is almost half the team. Even if it is only 9 starters. Still a big deal. This is a substantially different Bills team.

Might be better. Might be worse. My guess is worse - but I am wishy washy about it. My hope is better.

I do love me some Irish Whiskey, But seriously I can see everything I stated happing.

Odds are Sammy does not play the full season so by availability Mathews should out produce him.

Woods could struggle with that QB (along with Sammy)

Williams looks like he is going to have a solid season and will see a ton of red zone touches.

Our D will be better coached and play the scheme that fits what they do best. So they should improve.

Your scenario is plausible. I just think it is unlikely. Mainly based on the fact that Tyrod's history with "new" receivers is poor. It appears that he is not comfortable throwing the ball to guys he doesn't really trust. However he does often throw to the guy he trusts implicitly - Which was Watkins.

Maybe he comes to trust one of the new guys that much early on. I am doubting that big time. And if the other teams start getting a pass rush, I think it is very likely we see Tyrod in run mode even more than we saw in previous years - which is going to piss off most of the fan base. And it is going to result in a lower scoring offense in my opinion if that does happen.

OR maybe he comes out slinging the ball like he trusts them all. Who knows. Last year suggests he won't. Maybe it was the coaching and/or play calling though. Don't know for sure.

That was all excuses and sales talk. What they were was what they actually were. 15-16. The Bills like to claim they were better. They always liked to claim they were better than their record. They always liked to blame something besides how the players played. That is my perspective because I have been listening to variations on the same theme for 20 years now.

We gave up nothing in these transactions. Watkins was only potential, still unproven that his skills are capable of being on the field when needed. Darby can play but has not demonstrated he is a top CB.

This team needs players who can show up and can lead. Sammy types who over estimate their impact cause turmoil with their expectations. " Give me the ball !!!!! I showed up this week so you should all be thankful. ".

was runner up as defensive rookie of the year....

I'm pretty sure they are not only allowed to compete, they will be expected to compete. The OP pointed out how close we were in many games, but failed to mention Sammy was missing or hobbled for many of them. Assuming Matthews can get and stay healthy, that would put us ahead of last year in terms of talent. Better than a full year WITH Sammy? No, but that's why they play the games and wait to see how they turn out.

Darby was pretty bad last year. Professional sports mantras are often what have you done for me lately. Rumors are he didn't buy in and he wasn't a good fit. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens this season . If Matthews and Gaines come close to Watkins and Darby's production the trades will be looked at as positive decisions for our team. I will root for Matthews and Gaines. Hope Sammy and Darby do well also. But they are now secondary.

was runner up as defensive rookie of the year....

It was a strangely good year after struggling all pre-season. But he played great. His second year was disappointing, and the scheme fit for this year was questionable. I really don't know what to expect from him. This one is a crap shoot from my point of view. I don't know what I think on this one....

Tyrod is Tyrod, same as ever and not able to hit moving receivers with good anticipation. This is why I am expecting Peterman to be the starter before the season is over.

What scares me is the soft zone coverage that we are implementing in our secondary. Opposing QBs are going to have a field day - hope I'm wrong

Go Bills!!!!!

Tyrod is Tyrod, same as ever and not able to hit moving receivers with good anticipation. This is why I am expecting Peterman to be the starter before the season is over.

What scares me is the soft zone coverage that we are implementing in our secondary. Opposing QBs are going to have a field day - hope I'm wrong

Go Bills!!!!!

How do you know we're playing a soft zone....and will it be all the time? Don't good defenses mix up coverages ?

I just posted this on another thread ... check out this stat .. but to your point of being 500 .. there have been many chances for 4th quarter comebacks

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_active.htm

Tyrod for his career .. yes career only has (2) 4th quarter comebacks .. Dak doubled this up last year in his first year in the league ... I think McBeane is looking to move on from mediocre 500 or less football ... I'm not a Tyrod hater ... but expected him to do more with the starting reigns after years holding the clipboard in Baltimore ... 44% completion percentage in 4th quarter last year in the 4th quarter within 7 points ... time to rebuild.

I am glad the 4-3 defense is back ... but have faith in the new regime and plan .. this year might be slightly worse ... short term pain ... long term gain.

I'd bet a ton of $ that his numbers go way up in the 4th quarter. Better scheme. More reliable WR that will hold on to the ball in traffic. I recently watched some games from last year and his WR really failed him late in games, as well as his defense.

Improved WR corp, improved D, better scheme fit (more play action, which is deadly with 2 elite runners in TT and Shady),will all equal a better Taylor this year. He has a unique skillet that if used right can make him a deadly QB. i think Dennison has a clear vision how to use Taylor in this way.

The problem is Sammy is never healthy and since his big contract Dareus has checked out. These 2 guys (McB) can't possibly be any worse than the clown show of Rex, Rob & Doug. Give them 3 full years and then evaluate what they've built.