Is McDermott/Bean just Jauron/Levy II?

BADOLBILZ

I think Brandon Beane gave us a little clarification today regarding why they made these controversial trades.

Those who are excited because they are now expecting 2-4 wins this season and a high first round pick this year..........mmmmmperhaps not.

It's NOT a tank:

"If this was baseball, we’d probably have kept Sammy, because we wouldn’t have had the cap to worry about," Beane told King. "But every decision you make in football, with the cap, is a calculated risk. We had four inquiries for Sammy, and three offers, and got to a point where the Rams were willing to give a high pick, and we thought it was the best thing for us."

Beane points out that trades like the Bills made Friday are rare – King references just three similar trades over the last six years.

With six picks in the first three rounds, Beane told King he knows the pressure will fall directly on him.

"The onus is on me and my staff," the Bills' GM said. "We have to draft well. We’ve taken the first step – accumulating high picks."

They are trying to win using the simplify and synergize approach........the same basic building technique used by Jauron/Levy.

For those that have forgotten.....the Ivy League duo took over the franchise and tried to build a team around veteran role players.

Their rationale was based greatly on a misunderstanding about how the Patriots had become successful.........neglectful of the fact that Belichick was a brilliant game planner and gameday coach........and that he was aided significantly by cheating.

So basically two guys whose education suggested they deserve a ton of trust........then spent the first couple years turning over the talented personalities on the roster that either wanted to get paid......or were likely to question their stewardship......specifically Lawyer Milloy, London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Willis McGahee and Takeo Spikes..........and then essentially using all of their draft capital for the next few seasons on their replacements.

On the field.........they played vanilla defense and offense........protected the ball.........ran it, ran it, passed it and punted it........and won 7 games for 3 straight years as the roster became weaker and weaker........until the team finally quit on him.

Is this what we are facing with McDermott/Bean?

I don't know.........but McDermott doesn't strike me as a strategic genius.......he was a Jauron-y kinda' DC in Carolina.

But if anyone thinks this is a refreshing "disruption" or anything remotely new to this franchise.......nope.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Jauron-y".

Must have missed the part where Beane is an out of touch senior citizen plucked out of retirement and forced into a role he really didn't want because nostalgia.

And the part where McD is a played-out retread brought in to be a cheap "yes man" while our old coot owner just tries to stay afloat in a league that had probably passed his ideology by years ago.

Yep. So similar it's spooky.

"Jauron-y".

Must have missed the part where Beane is an out of touch senior citizen plucked out of retirement and forced into a role he really didn't want because nostalgia.

And the part where McD is a played-out retread brought in to be a cheap "yes man" while our old coot owner just tries to stay afloat in a league that had probably passed his ideology by years ago.

Yep. So similar it's spooky.

LOL! Yes, the similarities are downright eerie.

Expect ScottLaw's at-BADOL's-heels "yes, it seems like that exactly" response in 3...2...1...

I think Brandon Beane gave us a little clarification today regarding why they made these controversial trades.

Those who are excited because they are now expecting 2-4 wins this season and a high first round pick this year..........mmmmmperhaps not.

It's NOT a tank:

"If this was baseball, we’d probably have kept Sammy, because we wouldn’t have had the cap to worry about," Beane told King. "But every decision you make in football, with the cap, is a calculated risk. We had four inquiries for Sammy, and three offers, and got to a point where the Rams were willing to give a high pick, and we thought it was the best thing for us."

Beane points out that trades like the Bills made Friday are rare – King references just three similar trades over the last six years.

With six picks in the first three rounds, Beane told King he knows the pressure will fall directly on him.

"The onus is on me and my staff," the Bills' GM said. "We have to draft well. We’ve taken the first step – accumulating high picks."

They are trying to win using the simplify and synergize approach........the same basic building technique used by Jauron/Levy.

For those that have forgotten.....the Ivy League duo took over the franchise and tried to build a team around veteran role players.

Their rationale was based greatly on a misunderstanding about how the Patriots had become successful.........neglectful of the fact that Belichick was a brilliant game planner and gameday coach........and that he was aided significantly by cheating.

So basically two guys whose education suggested they deserve a ton of trust........then spent the first couple years turning over the talented personalities on the roster that either wanted to get paid......or were likely to question their stewardship......specifically Lawyer Milloy, London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Willis McGahee and Takeo Spikes..........and then essentially using all of their draft capital for the next few seasons on their replacements.

On the field.........they played vanilla defense and offense........protected the ball.........ran it, ran it, passed it and punted it........and won 7 games for 3 straight years as the roster became weaker and weaker........until the team finally quit on him.

I don't know.........but McDermott doesn't strike me as a strategic genius.......he was a Jauron-y kinda' DC in Carolina.

But if anyone thinks this is a refreshing "disruption" or anything remotely new to this franchise.......nope.

To me, anything is refreshing compared to the monumental failures that finally got dumped. :thumbsup:

I have no respect for anything Carolina Panthers, so I'm not expecting too much, but I'm willing to give them a chance. This year, I want to see improvement from Week 1 to Week 17. If the team is floundering in Year 2, I will get the whipping stick ready and start using it hard in Year 3. To me, that's a more than reasonable approach.

yeah, that's what it is OP, you hit the nail on the head. I mean I couldn't agree more based off an off season of work, your comparison is genius.

great thread by the way...

...oh my....I'll have to tread lightly here after getting chastised for disagreeing/not recognizing the expertise of the OP...I was cited as "one of those new posters"...my apology......so he MUST be right about Beane/McD being a remake of Levy/Jauron..........um right.......this guy is revered?.........seriously?......thumbs up to Riverboat Ritchie and his "one pre-season game" Drama Queen post... :thumbsup: ....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

And I thought BBMB posters were the worst.

....could this be a MLB "tie in favor of the runner" BOE?....and to think the migrating BBMB gang has been branded as the "oh them low lifes"......humorous, isn't it?.....certainly are some REAL prize winners here...oh well.....................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Comparing Beane to Levy as GMs is beyond simple foolishness. It is exponentially absurd. Levy as a GM was so out of touch that he not only didn't even know the players on the roster but also was a non-participant in the drafting. He didn't even want the job. He only did it as a favor for the aged owner. Beane is a young and energetic GM who is fully engaged with his manifold duties. When Levy was asked what his role was he said that he was a "facilitator". Comparing Levy to Beane makes no sense.

It stunning how most of the participants here don't know and understand what is going on. This new regime is very transparent and clear with their strategy that they are for the most part going to rework the roster through the draft. Why do you think they are accumulating picks with their deals?

There is no quick fix to turning around this middling franchise. Anyone expecting an immediate leap into contention is unaware where this franchise is currently at. I for one am not blindly loyal to this new staff. But what I do understand is what they are now doing and how they are going about doing it. It's not difficult to see if you have your eyes open and are being open-minded.

Badol, sometimes you post insightful gems and sometimes you get ridiculous. In this case you are far out in space.

...oh my....I'll have to tread lightly here after getting chastised for disagreeing/not recognizing the expertise of the OP...I was cited as "one of those new posters"...my apology......so he MUST be right about Beane/McD being a remake of Levy/Jauron..........um right.......this guy is revered?.........seriously?......thumbs up to Riverboat Ritchie and his "one pre-season game" Drama Queen post... :thumbsup: ....

Thumbup19%5B1%5D.gif

Comparing Beane to Levy as GMs is beyond simple foolishness. It is exponentially absurd. Levy as a GM was so out of touch that he not only didn't even know the players on the roster but also was a non-participant in the drafting. He didn't even want the job. He only did it as a favor for the aged owner. Beane is a young and energetic GM who is fully engaged with his manifold duties. When Levy was asked what his role was he said that he was a "facilitator". Comparing Levy to Beane makes no sense.

It stunning how most of the participants here don't know and understand what is going on. This new regime is very transparent and clear with their strategy that they are for the most part going to rework the roster through the draft. Why do you think they are accumulating picks with their deals?

There is no quick fix to turning around this middling franchise. Anyone expecting an immediate leap into contention is unaware where this franchise is currently at. I for one am not blindly loyal to this new staff. But what I do understand is what they are now doing and how they are going about doing it. It's not difficult to see if you have your eyes open and are being open-minded.

Badol, sometimes you post insightful gems and sometimes you get ridiculous. In this case you are far out in space.

Oh Jauron/Levy re-worked the roster thru the draft........but first they attempted to bolster the roster with A TON of veteran free agent role players.......15 I believe(and they all were failures with the Bills, the best being the pass toucher known as Robert F Royal).

They then drafted:

Whitner to replace Milloy.

Lynch to replace McGahee.

McKelvin to replace Clements.

Poz to replace Fletcher.

Got their guys........but not only didn't get BETTER......but also ended up with considerably less production......and many of those picks left the Bills before those other players even ceased being good starters in the league.

6 picks in the first 3 rounds for Beane and McDermott sounds purdy good.........until you realize that in addition to many aging veterans they now must replace young players like Watkins and Darby.......and perhaps impact defenders like Hughes and Dareus who are kinda' "selfish" types.

And of course.......that's to say nothing of the QB position.

Not sure what's up with you John C.......saw you post a confused response in a thread yesterday where you attacked a poster for a complete misread on your part........hope you are ok. :thumbsup:

Edited by #BADOL

I agree pretty much with everything ^^^^^

IMO everything will depend on if they hit or miss on the franchise QB in the draft , if they do hit and we know we finally have our QB , I'm sure they will get all the time they need , if ( God forbid ) we move up and overpay for another EJ , we all know what at least should happen