So Mathews and Gaines are FAs after this season

The good thing about the trade is Sammy is with the Rams. At best Sammy puts up maybe 1180yards and 9 TDs. Very respectable numbers considering Goff is there. But imagine if we traded him to Green Bay or some other team with a good QB?

My guess is Matthews would cost more than what ever Robert Woods got paid from the Rams. But shouldn't be too expensive.

If Matthews puts up his usual 1k yards yes. What if Matthews has more yearns yards than Sammy? Lot of receivers in la. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Matthews gets 100 receptions he just might reach 1K.

Both combined cheaper than Sammy

MUCH cheaper. A mere fraction. We can see how it goes and keep who we want without breaking the bank. Having said that, the guy with the best shot at a HOF career would be expected to cost more. I'm torn, but I like the extra picks and glad that while we may have downgraded we didn't create any new holes. My glass is half full, but it has a leak.

seems like nobody is answering the question of the thread

will the bills be able to resign these guys? matthews especially. if youre going to give up on what still could be a top elite wr like sammy you better at least retain the above average starter you traded to replace him. same logic with gaines if hes any good

you gotta hope they build up some attachment to buffalo as the season goes on. matthews i can see wanting to test the fa mkt, he should be looking at 9+ mil. that would suck to have him walk and then have to go find sombody else when you coulda rolled the dice on sammy and franchised him

seems like nobody is answering the question of the thread

will the bills be able to resign these guys? matthews especially. if youre going to give up on what still could be a top elite wr like sammy you better at least retain the above average starter you traded to replace him. same logic with gaines if hes any good

Thats where the major risk is in this trade, Id be much happier with the trade if both of these guys has 2-3 years left on their deals. Right now both of these guys could have amazing years and decide to walk in free agency, and then Sammy and Darby could also play amazing and resign with their new teams, and we look like huge huge fools.

Again, this was an extremely risky trade. It had the potential to upset the fan base and locker room. Both players acquired can walk in 1 year, the only safety net is a 2nd and 3rd. Is that appropriate value for the worst case scenario?

Edited by TallskiWallski83

Will we want to resign them? How much will it cost? If they both walk and Sammy has a great year will we all be pulling out our hair?

...and Beane pulls a rabbit outta his hat and re-signs UFA Sammy who wants to come "home"....hmmmmm..................

This deal is only about the draft picks they got. If they like either Mathews or Gaines enough to re-sign them, it will be a bonus.

I don't agree. They would never have taken a 2nd and 3rd for Watkins and Darby. They are trying to add a couple of starters and picks. They'll keep both guys.

...and Beane pulls a rabbit outta his hat and re-signs UFA Sammy who wants to come "home"....hmmmmm..................

That rabbit may not be your average rabbit, more like a hippo. And the hat is probably his caboose.

I don't agree. They would never have taken a 2nd and 3rd for Watkins and Darby. They are trying to add a couple of starters and picks. They'll keep both guys.

They could both be affordable, middle of the road starters with neither commanding "star" money. Sammy would have cost a boat load, and Darby might have gotten Gilmore-type $$$ in a couple years. Middle of the pack starters plus some draft pick ammo.

They will re-sign them if for no other reason than to save face. They aren't going to trade their top CB and too WR for just a couple of picks.

save face?...seriously?......because you said so?......give it up...you have ZERO idea as to how these trades pan out as NOBODY else does....think I've heard it all.....

That rabbit may not be your average rabbit, more like a hippo. And the hat is probably his caboose.

...had to throw it out there because all of the EXPERT pundits here are so teary eyed..........may explain why they're HERE versus gainful employment in 32 NFL clubs' administration...think so DiNozzo??....I know my place as a lowly poster.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I first misread this as "Beane pulls a RABBI outta his hat..." I thought, well, that's weird. But original.

Fridays.

They will re-sign them if for no other reason than to save face. They aren't going to trade their top CB and too WR for just a couple of picks.

The Bills have plenty of draft picks to fill either spot if the Bills choose not to resign either.

save face?...seriously?......because you said so?......give it up...you have ZERO idea as to how these trades pan out as NOBODY else does....think I've heard it all.....

They aren't going to trade Sammy and Darby for a 2nd and 3rd. They aren't going to let these guys walk out the door after 1 year. That's common sense. Are we that naive? Edited by Kirby Jackson

Considering what Robert Woods signed for, expect somewhere around $10mil a season for Matthews for 5 years with around 20 guaranteed. Gaines hasn't been good for a while, so it may not matter.

I think that Tavon Austin's deal is probably a starting point (4 years $42M, $28M guaranateed).