Go on record regarding the trades

Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

If Matthews and Gaines are both healthy and good starters I'd be ok with the trades. Having Boldin for a year or two makes a difference also.

I guess Darby was more man coverage and Gaines more zone like McD wants ?

Still without Gilmore and Darby looks risky for now.

Edited by ALF

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it's hard to stomach It was probably a good move for the future. I'm more so relieved to see the powers that be make decisions based on their expertise on making the team relevant instead of making moves to sell tickets

Yep. No doubt at all now that Russ Brandon isn't involved in the football operations anymore.

@adamschefter

Rams GM Les Snead said LA is interested in signing WR Sammy Watkins to a long-term contract, though the two sides are yet to discuss a deal.

Looks like they see him as more then a rental.

I hope that they do. I would hate to have Sammy end up in New England or something haunting us for years. Just stay in the NFC West where we only have to see him every 4 years.

Darby has shown the potential to be great. Had a down year last year, but he has been a top 10 CB before. We get back a CB coming off of the same injury as Watkins. It's taking a flier on a guy and get a 2nd. Watkins is a potential superstar in this league and is a clear cut #1 WR. We get back a WR who was 4th on the depth chart in Philly and has reportedly battled knee issues to "replace" him along with a 3rd. The picks are nice as we now have two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds in 2018, but none of that means who we get will be upgrades. Matthews could also be just a rental as he is a FA at the end of the year. Darby doesn't bother me as much as shipping out Watkins. Darby for a 3rd and Matthews, even if it is a rental, was a quality trade when you look at it from top to bottom. Watkins, who is a true #1 WR, for a CB coming off of the same injury as him and a 2nd? That's the one that gets me. You all can try to argue it however you want, but I don't like it. We created another hole and our talent level dropped. Now none of us know anything that had gone on behind the scenes and it is possible they escalated to what we saw yesterday. That's the only thing that would make sense to me.

The Rams 2nd rounder is the 37th pick.

That gives the Bills what essentially amounts to three first-round picks in the 2018 draft,

Hell, ours is likely top 40ish at this point, may as well call it 4 first rounders if just making up fun things to say

The Rams 2nd rounder is the 37th pick.

That gives the Bills what essentially amounts to three first-round picks in the 2018 draft,

Where are you getting these numbers ?

Assuming rams will stink ? Not gonna improve w Sammy and Woods as opposed to Tavon Austin and the poo poo platter ?

Beans mentioned resign ability. If I didn't think I would be able to keep Watkins after this season, absolutely make the trade.

Which is a huge reason why I'm sure they did it. With Watkins, it's sll about health and the ability to re-sign. We can only assume they were uncomfortable on both fronts.

Where are you getting these numbers ?

Assuming rams will stink ? Not gonna improve w Sammy and Woods as opposed to Tavon Austin and the poo poo platter ?

ESPN. Bill Barnwell

Winners and Losers article.

The bottom of the page

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20313763

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Let's go on record as to our feelings on the deals today. There are no bs in between answers either. It is a yes or a no. If you were the GM and had the exact same deals on the table would you have made the moves? We are not seperating them out either because they are tied together.

After the 5th year was declined, they would have been morons not to get assets for Sammy. Maybe they franchise him one more year and we go 19 years without playoffs.

The only way you can be mad about this is if you actually thought this was a playoff team right now.

Same old, same old. If you ever wondered how so many people can become victims of scams, just consider that despite the fact that the Bills have failed to make the playoffs for 17 straight years, they have managed to sell the hope of another resurrection to so many of their fans by trading away two of their best players ...

Beans mentioned resign ability. If I didn't think I would be able to keep Watkins after this season, absolutely make the trade.

I think that is a huge part of the reason that they did it. With that being said the only thing preventing the Bills from bringing him back is the Bills deciding not to bring him back. They had the 5th year option on the table, they had the tag to use and a boatload of cap space to work out a long-term deal. Re-signability is just code for "we aren't going to pay the player what he will get elsewhere and we don't value him enough to prevent him from hitting the open market."

I think that is a huge part of the reason that they did it. With that being said the only thing preventing the Bills from bringing him back is the Bills deciding not to bring him back. They had the 5th year option on the table, they had the tag to use and a boatload of cap space to work out a long-term deal. Re-signability is just code for "we aren't going to pay the player what he will get elsewhere and we don't value him enough to prevent him from hitting the open market."

Unless Sammy had much bigger numbers this year, the value may not have been there. Assume he puts up similar stats this year as his previous years...are you going to pay him what he most likely thinks he deserves? I loved sammy, but I get this

Same old, same old. If you ever wondered how so many people can become victims of scams, just consider that despite the fact that the Bills have failed to make the playoffs for 17 straight years, they have managed to sell the hope of another resurrection to so many of their fans by trading away two of their best players ...

If it leads to a franchise qb, I'm all in

Although it's hard to stomach It was probably a good move for the future. I'm more so relieved to see the powers that be make decisions based on their expertise on making the team relevant instead of making moves to sell tickets

I mean season tickets have already been renewed and single game tickets sold... they've made these moves after ticket sales. And they definitely were marketing Sammy, heavily.

Unless Sammy had much bigger numbers this year, the value may not have been there. Assume he puts up similar stats this year as his previous years...are you going to pay him what he most likely thinks he deserves? I loved sammy, but I get this

It doesn't matter what Sammy thinks he deserves but if we are going to follow what the market thinks he deserves.

Beane pointing at resignability is an easy way to spin it as sammys fault and then just getting resources while they can. As Kirby points out though it's a wider and more nuanced conversation that doesn't absolve them from having made a decision to not pursue resigning him.

Worst trade in Bills history. Hands down.

Nope .. believe this one was worse

For those who've forgotten -- and that's understandable -- Buffalo wound up with tackle Chris Hairston and linebacker Tank Carder. That's who Buffalo drafted with the 2011 fourth-round draft pick and the 2012 fifth-round draft pick Seattle paid for Beast Mode.

It doesn't matter what Sammy thinks he deserves but if we are going to follow what the market thinks he deserves.

Beane pointing at resignability is an easy way to spin it as sammys fault and then just getting resources while they can. As Kirby points out though it's a wider and more nuanced conversation that doesn't absolve them from having made a decision to not pursue resigning him.

The money does matter. See the saints. Also see the colts. Paying one player on your team the kind of money Watkins is likely asking for can and will as history shows destroys your ability to field a sustainable model of winning with players and stayingg under the cap.

I mean season tickets have already been renewed and single game tickets sold... they've made these moves after ticket sales. And they definitely were marketing Sammy, heavily.

Cooks got a 1 and a 3 in this draft- part of me wonders if we could've done a bit better here for a total haul from Sammy and a good young corner on a rookie deal -- especially if willing to be decisive early in the offseason and maybe dabble in free agency a little to round out the positions instead of trading WR/cb for WR/cb in august

Edited by NoSaint

The money does matter. See the saints. Also see the colts. Paying one player on your team the kind of money Watkins is likely asking for can and will as history shows destroys your ability to field a sustainable model of winning with players and stayingg under the cap.

This post has many levels of not understanding the situations being discussed in it.

I'll simply leave my chat with you as we wouldnt see eye to eye even if we agreed.

Nope .. believe this one was worse

For those who've forgotten -- and that's understandable -- Buffalo wound up with tackle Chris Hairston and linebacker Tank Carder. That's who Buffalo drafted with the 2011 fourth-round draft pick and the 2012 fifth-round draft pick Seattle paid for Beast Mode.

A history of this is what we have here in various ways

I didn't think we'd make the playoffs this year and has us at 8-8...so overall, it was a necessary move ....I like that we are thinking long term....I don't remember the last Bills regime that actually did that....

It does take away some excitement away from 2017 however...but hopefully, it will pay off....

Edited by Iron Maiden

I've continued to support the team through 17 tough years. I believe we were closer than most people realized. Now forget it, 2-14 here we come. I realized earlier this year that Andy reid is a moron and I guess McD is definitely a disciple. I wasted 900 on tickets for the Panthers game. It's made worse by what we got in return. Reminds me of getting robbed in the Jason Peters trade and getting less for Lynch than the Pats got for Marone. I've already gone on the record stating Pegula is RW 2.0. What a bunch of morons. Wake me up when we hire our new GM and Coach. Bring back Whaley who comes out ahead on trades and find some way to fire Pegula. too bad the last one isn't possible. damn Russians and Bush.

Without Pegula ... Bills are no longer in Buffalo .. I say THANK YOU TERRY ... without him on Sundays ... you'd be watching Cleveland games on local Buffalo TV.

Cooks got a 1 and a 3 in this draft- part of me wonders if we could've done a bit better here for a total haul from Sammy and a good young corner on a rookie deal -- especially if willing to be decisive early in the offseason dabble in free agency a little to round out the positions instead of trading WR/cb for WR/cb

Cooks nabbed the 32 and 103 overall picks. The Rams arent winning a Superbowl. That top 15 pick we get from them is worth more than the 32 and 103 overall pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

The Saints also gave there 118 overall pick up. Stop not giving the whole story is dishonest. Comparatively speeking we robbed the Rams compared to the Cooks trade.

I want them to trade Shady and Tyrod and maybe even Matthews. Start Peterman at Qb to see what you've got. Keep the Oline and for the most part, the defense intact and then you have effectively tanked so that you can get your Qb and a bunch of offensive players.

The point wasn't that you "can't" sign him it is that you "won't" sign him. That's what "signability" is in this case. The Bills could have easily retained him if they wanted to.

Cooks nabbed the 32 and 103 overall picks. The Rams arent winning a Superbowl. That top 15 pick we get from them is worth more than the 32 and 103 overall pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

The Saints also gave there 118 overall pick up. Stop not giving the whole story is dishonest. Comparatively speeking we robbed the Rams compared to the Cooks trade.

We got a top 15 pick from the rams?!?