Go on record regarding the trades

Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

then the trade was necessary, but then the question is, Is it the right decision to move on from him after this season. I say no. We'll see.

I don't see how Sammy would've stayed a Bill much longer. The team declining his option was the writing on the wall. I'd have picked it up unless the doctors were telling me some bad things. That'd have bought another season to see if he could get and stay healthy. I thought it was worth the risk, but McD obviously didn't. After this season the options were:

- Letting him walk for a possible comp pick if we qualified.

- Signing him to a new contract. We'd have to outbid the league and I don't see that happening. If he had injury issues and couldn't demand a large deal, then he'd likely go to a team with an elite QB on a short term deal.

- Franchise tag him. That's the only real possibility. He'd have to stay healthy and have a stellar season. A long term deal would mean a top 5 WR contract and that's tough to sell me on due to his injury history Or we'd have him for that year under the tag. Or possibly trade him at that point.

If his foot breaks again this season or he's on IR for any other reason everyone will be singing the praises of Beane and McD.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCoy once called Watkins a Ferrari in the garage. He didn't mean it the way it turned out, but that's what Watkins has been, a Ferrari in the garage - constantly needing repairs.

I wasn't jumping up and down when I found out about this trade, but I'm okay with it.

I believe Beane when he says we aren't throwing in the towel with these moves. Tyrod (regardless of anyone's thoughts on him) and Kyle are two leaders in the locker room. I would wager that our success in 2017 was tied more to Tyrod than Sammy, and without guarantees as to what QB we get next year they have to keep a known commodity in Tyrod just in case all else fails regarding the draft next year.

Are we a better roster today than yesterday, ignoring the resources added next year?

When you are at best a fringe wild card team and you make your roster worse on both sides of the ball you are throwing in the towel

Both trades were awful They traded a possibly great player for a small, ineffective corner and a #2. Then they traded away a decent corner who they will replace with a very high draft choice. They are spinning in circles and its ugly.

I thought getting a corner would have made you happy!!!

Both trades were awful They traded a possibly great player for a small, ineffective corner and a #2. Then they traded away a decent corner who they will replace with a very high draft choice. They are spinning in circles and its ugly.

The problem is D Whaley made the cost of Watkins to high for the position.

Edited by Figster

I thought getting a corner would have made you happy!!!

I know you are breaking my shoes but getting a corner MIGHT have made me happy if he was any good AND they didn't trade one away. This virtually guarantees another 1st or second round corner. And CB, Shady isn't getting younger. Is there another 1st round RB on the horizon?

Are we a better roster today than yesterday, ignoring the resources added next year?

When you are at best a fringe wild card team and you make your roster worse on both sides of the ball you are throwing in the towel

I think "throwing in the towel" is a complete mischaracterization of what transpired.

I know you are breaking my shoes but getting a corner MIGHT have made me happy if he was any good AND they didn't trade one away. This virtually guarantees another 1st or second round corner. And CB, Shady isn't getting younger. Is there another 1st round RB on the horizon?

I'm right with you. I hate this. It's the typical spin your wheels Buffalo Bills move. Look for us to draft another high next year.

I think "throwing in the towel" is a complete mischaracterization of what transpired.

It is an exact description of what they did wrt 2017. It is borderline criminal to steal season ticket holders money like they did today. There is simply no way to claim we are better in 2017. 2018 and beyond can be argued I suppose.

But that doesn't matter now.

I wonder if we took a poll before this trade, how many people even knew who EJ Gaines was?

It matters when your trying to build a team

The high salary Sammy is going to demand in the grand scheme of things is to much IMO.

Edited by Figster

It's a bit strong for my taste but when you are already likely on the outside looking in-- getting worse at passing and stopping the pass in the 2017 NFL is basically giving up the playoffs without crazy luck.

That we are leaving ourselves outside the race without actually throwing in the towel should actually upset you more, probably