NFL Willing to Work with Players on MJ for Pain Management

@MarkMaske

NFL tells NFLPA it's willing to work cooperatively on research on marijuana as a pain-management tool for players... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/07/31/nfl-offers-to-work-with-players-union-to-study-marijuana-for-pain-management/

IRVINE, Calif. — The NFL has written to the NFL Players Association offering to work in tandem to study the potential use of marijuana as a pain management tool for players, according to people familiar with the situation.

It is the clearest indication to this point that the league may be willing to work cooperatively with the union toward such marijuana use, which is currently banned by the sport.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About freaking time. But it's also likely happening to distract from the NFL pulling funding from CTE research.

This was inevitably coming and everyone wants it. So it begins...

Especially overdue given the toxic combination of drugs administered to the players to keep them on the field.

Especially overdue given the toxic combination of drugs administered to the players to keep them on the field.

Exactly. They dole out narcotic pain mess like they're candy from what I've read. MJ is undebatably safer and less addictive.

Here's bits and pieces of the Saints story:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5153943

i wonder that never became a big thing. sounds like a pretty juicy story. lots of players get addicted to the pills given to them by the team. Brett Favre for instance. my wife was prescribed oxycodone after a surgery and after taking it for one day she couldnt believe how much her body needed it and how sick she felt if she didnt take it so she got scared and stopped completely. just imagine an NFL player taking it for weeks, months, even years to try and stay on the field.

I don't know how much info is out there on it but you should google the mess that the Saints had with the pain mess.

Here's bits and pieces of the Saints story:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5153943

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of that story. Makes you wonder about Payton, though. I don't know if he was supposedly taking those pills for himself or the players or someone else but I could see him being the type of guy that would pop pills...lol.

Did yo ever see this article about the pain pill abuse in the NFL? Bud Carpenter is quoted in it -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.5dc0930d106b

i wonder that never became a big thing. sounds like a pretty juicy story. lots of players get addicted to the pills given to them by the team. Brett Favre for instance. my wife was prescribed oxycodone after a surgery and after taking it for one day she couldnt believe how much her body needed it and how sick she felt if she didnt take it so she got scared and stopped completely. just imagine an NFL player taking it for weeks, months, even years to try and stay on the field.

Yeah, I had a good friend on that team and he said that it was way worse than this. They had bags of pills and Joe Vitt was functionally a drug dealer and Payton a pill head. There are lots of dirty stories about them around that time.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of that story. Makes you wonder about Payton, though. I don't know if he was supposedly taking those pills for himself or the players or someone else but I could see him being the type of guy that would pop pills...lol.

Did yo ever see this article about the pain pill abuse in the NFL? Bud Carpenter is quoted in it -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.5dc0930d106b

Payton also knocked up a cheerleader and that's why his family moved to Dallas.

I haven't seen that story but it's interesting. Thanks for sharing!!

Definitely should appeal....

Agreed and he's the PERFECT poster child for the NFL to hide behind. "After extensive research we've come to the conclusion that marijuana can be an effective pain management tool. We've had players, such as Seantrel Henderson argue that it's helped manage the pain that he suffers from Crohn's Disease. In lieu of this new information we will cease testing for marijuana and rescind outstanding discipline. We hope to continue working with the NFLPA to do what's best for the health of our players." Edited by Kirby Jackson

Agreed and he's the PERFECT poster child for the NFL to hide behind. "After extensive research we've come to the conclusion that marijuana can be an effective pain management tool. We've had players, such as Seantrel Henderson argue that it's helped manage the pain that he suffers from Crohn's Disease. In lieu of this new information we will cease testing for marijuana and rescind outstanding discipline. We hope to continue working with the NFLPA to do what's best for the health of our players."

NFL Spokesperson Kirby Jackson is the only thing missing from this statement :D:worthy:

Agreed and he's the PERFECT poster child for the NFL to hide behind. "After extensive research we've come to the conclusion that marijuana can be an effective pain management tool. We've had players, such as Seantrel Henderson argue that it's helped manage the pain that he suffers from Crohn's Disease. In lieu of this new information we will cease testing for marijuana and rescind outstanding discipline. We hope to continue working with the NFLPA to do what's best for the health of our players."

Right on cue:

@JaySkurski

[bN] Blitz: "The progression, the development with Seantrel continues," #Bills coach McDermott says of the team's OT

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/01/crohns-disease-control-seantrel-henderson-impressing-bills-camp/

PITTSFORD -- The future of Seantrel Henderson's football career has truly become a 24-hour struggle.

As he adjusts to living with Crohn's disease, it's not enough for Henderson to simply report each day for practice and film study. He has to work just as hard to maintain the weight needed to play offensive line in the NFL.

"I have a meal plan," Henderson said after a recent training camp practice at St. John Fisher College. "Meats and greens every day, protein shakes, a lot of fruit. As long as I keep gulping up a lot of everything, and getting my calories in, I'm good to go. I can keep my weight up."

At his lowest weight after being diagnosed, Henderson dropped to 280 pounds. He weighs 345 today -- a testament to how hard he's worked.

The NFL, the richest league, is the least progressive league besides the NHL.

The NHL is far ahead of the curve on marijuana than the NFL. The NFL caters to its sponsors. When enough states turn legal rec and the first marijuana company becomes an official league sponsor, they will come to Jesus.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Sounds great. Now, do you think they will try to get something in exchange for this?

I just think that he's the perfect guy to hide behind. When someone comes at the NFL for lossening their standards they can point to poor Seantrel Henderson. He provides some cover for them.

There's no shortage of ammunition to "hide behind." It is increasingly harder for them to support their current stance.

Regarding Seantrel

The kid is really a freak athlete....I am starting to think that his problems (aside from the physical ailment) are motivation.

The fear I have is Henderson balls out in camp......but fades as he just doesnt want it bad enough.

Dawkins is the direction i would go here

You don't think battling Crohns is part of it?

yea nobody has ever died from weed but booze and pills just rack up the body count.

Many have died from weed just no NFL players. Do research.

Yes and he proved by taking for years before NFL that it is good at working to hide issues from us so at least this way we will be able to tell players if you get caught without permission we can retroactively take back signing bonuses, etc. since worry about being suspended is not reason to hide it.

have you done any research?

I searched through google and I could not find any statistics that claim marijuana use is causing death(s)? now there were claims of deaths after using by car accidents but no over dosing like you would see with opiates.

maybe you can come up with something more informative than just saying "many have died"?

bi_graphics_overdose-death-rates_2.png

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

This was inevitably coming and everyone wants it. So it begins...

i dont. Its illegal. And stupid.

And everyone can spare me their opinion. I wont change my mind. You can say all you want about my belief and in the sake of wasting time just pretend i have responded to you 100 times with my arrogance and brash style where you actually get angry.

There ya go.

This is stupid for the NFL. To legalize and legitimize an illegal act as if it is ok. Its not. Its stupid, pandering and just another BS bit for the NFLPA to go f themselves over. In my perfect world the NFL would be brought on charges for doing this

And im for legalization.

Yes and he proved by taking for years before NFL that it is good at working to hide issues from us so at least this way we will be able to tell players if you get caught without permission we can retroactively take back signing bonuses, etc. since worry about being suspended is not reason to hide it.

i dont. Its illegal. And stupid.

And everyone can spare me their opinion. I wont change my mind. You can say all you want about my belief and in the sake of wasting time just pretend i have responded to you 100 times with my arrogance and brash style where you actually get angry.

There ya go.

This is stupid for the NFL. To legalize and legitimize an illegal act as if it is ok. Its not. Its stupid, pandering and just another BS bit for the NFLPA to go f themselves over. In my perfect world the NFL would be brought on charges for doing this

And im for legalization.

Double lol's