Anquan Boldin Signs 1 Year Deal with the Bills Pg45

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boldin could make Sammy into a Hall of Famer. Really this is the best thing that could happen to Sammy's career.

Don't minimize the immediate impact on Zay Jones either. Great spot for a rookie to be in.

Don't minimize the immediate impact on Zay Jones either. Great spot for a rookie to be in.

Funny, they just mentioned that on Sirius - they said something like "Zay Jones should be like VELCRO to a guy like Boldin, he can really learn how to be a pro!"

So :beer: to you!

The depth/experience combo is big at this point, IMO.

And $2.75M plus incentives is a fair chunk of change at this point........it's not the typical $1M that only counts about $600K toward the cap.

Obviously the Sammy influence factor is big for me..........they gotta' find a way to get Sammy to reach his potential to justify keeping him........been a recent history of huge Bills draft investments/elite talent going elsewhere when still very young and raising their game to new levels......see Lynch and Peters and even Lil' Donte found his groove in SF.

But another added plus to me is the overall leadership depth chart changes and I think possibly some synergy is gained in that particular dynamic.

The starters on this team are a pretty old by NFL standards.......but while those guys should bring a sense of urgency and focus......most of the older players are from perennial losers like Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, Incognito, Lorax etc........or guys who have played very poorly in the playoffs like McCoy........they all fit better as secondary leadership.......which they now have an abundance of.

Guys like Boldin and Tolbert have been in SB's recently........Boldin has starred in the playoffs.......I think he's an important addition and support piece.

While $2.75M + incentives is a decent chunk of money, it's a one year deal and we have the cap space. At this stage of the game, there are not going to be a lot of big money signings, so it's a wise, low-risk use of the cap space that we have. I'm far from a salary cap expert, but I believe that this contract will have zero impact beyond this season. I'm pleased with the signing and think that Boldin will be a good addition to the roster. I just don't see it as a major event.

No reason to think he has nothing left after a very productive 2016 as the slot receiver in Detroit.

I have two reasons to think he may not have a lot left. 1) He is a year older. While every guy is different, it is often the case where a guy in his late 30's/early 40's is playing great one day and he wakes up the next day and it's just gone. 2) The Lions elected not to re-sign him after a very productive season last year. BUT, please don't take this the wrong way. I'm pleased with the acquisition and I would be thrilled to see Boldin put up numbers similar to last season. If he does that, it will be a fantastic signing. His style of play is different and he doesn't have the same type of QB throwing to him, but wouldn't it be great to see something like what happened when James Lofton signed with the Bills at the tail end of his career?

While $2.75M + incentives is a decent chunk of money, it's a one year deal and we have the cap space. At this stage of the game, there are not going to be a lot of big money signings, so it's a wise, low-risk use of the cap space that we have. I'm far from a salary cap expert, but I believe that this contract will have zero impact beyond this season. I'm pleased with the signing and think that Boldin will be a good addition to the roster. I just don't see it as a major event.

I have two reasons to think he may not have a lot left. 1) He is a year older. While every guy is different, it is often the case where a guy in his late 30's/early 40's is playing great one day and he wakes up the next day and it's just gone. 2) The Lions elected not to re-sign him after a very productive season last year. BUT, please don't take this the wrong way. I'm pleased with the acquisition and I would be thrilled to see Boldin put up numbers similar to last season. If he does that, it will be a fantastic signing. His style of play is different and he doesn't have the same type of QB throwing to him, but wouldn't it be great to see something like what happened when James Lofton signed with the Bills at the tail end of his career?

I don't get the Lofton comparisons. Boldin plays with a violence that few WRs can match - I still can't believe he continued his career after that hit in the endzone in the Meadowlands. Lofton didn't take nearly the beating in his entire career that Boldin takes year in, year out.

I don't get the Lofton comparisons. Boldin plays with a violence that few WRs can match - I still can't believe he continued his career after that hit in the endzone in the Meadowlands. Lofton didn't take nearly the beating in his entire career that Boldin takes year in, year out.

Yup - he's the most physical receiver I have ever seen. I remember that hit. He said afterward that it "just football" or something like that.

I get the veteran comparison but like you say.......not the same type of player.

Lofton still had sprinters speed when he arrived.........and when he left........but the hands started betraying him to the point where he simply couldn't catch the ball anymore with the Raiders..........same thing happened with TO.......could still run but his ball skills departed.

Boldin seems to still have the ball skills and physicality.........the speed was never great but it is gone now.....any RAC will likely come by going thru defenders.

This is my kind of contract - one that has no future cap hit. I don't expect much production from him, but I've always considered him to be one of the toughest players in the league, hopefully that rubs off on some guys.

Agreed.

As BADOL mentioned earlier, his leadership and experience will be a big asset. Maybe to the point where he is a strong reason for them ending the drought this season.

Money quote

"Jones said Boldin, after only one day, has totally integrated himself, and essentially said that when he talks, all eyes and ears are on him"

I get the veteran comparison but like you say.......not the same type of player.

Lofton still had sprinters speed when he arrived.........and when he left........but the hands started betraying him to the point where he simply couldn't catch the ball anymore with the Raiders..........same thing happened with TO.......could still run but his ball skills departed.

Boldin seems to still have the ball skills and physicality.........the speed was never great but it is gone now.....any RAC will likely come by going thru defenders.

Yeah. Two different types of receivers. The Lofton comparisons make sense only in that they both came here near the end of their careers.

The Lions actually wanted him back, but he chose to go in another direction. You should listen to the WGR interview with the Lions' ESPN beat reporter that I posted earlier in this thread. Boldin is a totally different kind of WR who relies on precise route running, physicality, and excellent hands to win.

Boldin's signing reminds me of when the Bills signed Phil Villapiano to play LB back in '80. Phil was a former Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champ. While he was past his prime, he brought a lot to the locker room.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Boldin's signing reminds me of when the Bills signed Phil Villapiano to play LB back in '80. Phil was a former Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champ. While he was past his prime, he brought a lot to the locker room.

The Bills traded Bob Chandler for Villapiano before the draft in 1980. Villapiano did help the team a lot, and no one really wanted Chandler, even though he was great. Chandler had more receptions from 75-77 than any WR in the league. He was then one of the stars in the Raiders Super Bowl win.