Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Hmm, torn between losing out, or seeing Casey and Jack go off last 6 games and give some hope for next year. Maybe not a ton, but 5-6% better chance in each of the first 3 positions worth last.

@PromoTheRobotshould be happy Thursday at least got a little bump in resale

Edited by plenzmd1

4 hours ago, snafu said:

Haha, that is one old grudge you got there, buddy.

Haha. Gretzky sure stuck the dagger in.

I remember after the game after that comment (Edmonton's first visit back), there were 19,040 fans wearing Mickey Mouse ears. Too funny.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hmm, torn between losing out, or seeing Casey and Jack go off last 6 games and give some hope for next year. Maybe not a ton, but 5-6% better chance in each of the first 3 positions worth last.

I can defer hope, I'm used to it.  Not that the lottery gods are ever kind to Buffalo, but I want whatever edge I can get to improve a chance at Dahlin.

3-28: Phil Housley on WGR (15:46)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - If all things are a go, we'd like to get Mittelstadt in the game tomorrow. #Sabres

Housley - I saw Mittelstadt at the World Juniors, and I thought he was the best player of the tournament. I like the way he attacks the game, the speed he plays at and his IQ. We're glad to have him as part of the organization. #Sabres

Housley - the more pressure there is, Mittelstadt seems to rise to the occasion. He's a great competitor. He might have to get caught up to speed since he hasn't played since March 3. #Sabres

Housley - we're going to try and get Mittelstadt involved right away. We'll get him into practice today, and tomorrow he will just have to go with his instincts and keep things simple. #Sabres

Housley - I hope that Mittelstadt will have a big impact right away, but we have to understand he hasn't played in a while. I think he can have a huge impact on this team with the remaining six games we have. The experience will help. #Sabres

Housley - Jack took things upon himself on Monday in Toronto. We had to get back to the way we were playing as a team, and he put it upon himself to be better. He was strong in his own end and played like an elite 200-foot player. #Sabres

Housley - it seems like Auston Matthews brought the best out of Jack, and he'll have another crack at him next week. #Sabres

Housley - I liked what Justin Bailey brought to the lineup when he was here. He brought speed and some physicality, and that's what he has to keep on doing. Going back to Rochester again is just another part of his development. Hope he has a good run in the AHL playoffs #Sabres

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Nope. 

Tanks for nothing: Some NHL teams can't win for losing | CBC Sports

Jack Eichel has difficulty accepting the sorry state of the Buffalo Sabres, who haven't had a sniff at the playoffs in the three years since his celebrated arrival.

"When I got drafted, if you would've said we'd be in this position, I probably would've told you to give your head a shake," Eichel told The Associated Press.

Instead, it's the 21-year-old shaking his head in disbelief over a franchise that's finished no better than 14th in the Eastern Conference since 2012-13 and in jeopardy of finishing last in the overall standings for the third time in five years.

2 hours ago, ricojes said:

I turned down free suite tickets for tonight, so I would think it's still a tough sell...

I did see him twice in the WJC, but excited to see him with the big boys. Nice day today, gives me an excuse to sit on the porch and drink and the very least!

18 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Robin Lehner is honestly the worst break away/shootout goalie in NHL history.  It's unbelievable how awful he looks in those situations.  I'm literally ALWAYS shocked if he makes a save. 

Dude looks like a middle aged beer league guy 1-on-1.

haha, so on the money! 

I am mostly watching the Bruins-Lightning tussle for 1st. Almost had a goalie fight! Damn, I miss goalie fights! I am watching on 770-1 for DTV folks...hate to admit but I love the over the top homerism of Jack Edwards

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 78 on 3/31 vs. NSH at 8 PM ET

This team is unwatchable. I simply can't watch a whole game. People can critically analyze the units but the essence of the problem is that this team sorely lacks talent. It's as if the players are aware of their deficit compared to the opposition and simply play to hang on. The player I feel sorry for is Eichel. His scintillating talents are being wasted. I hope that his frustration won't build up to the point where his spirit is crushed and wants out. 

The former GM traded away a first round pick for Lehner, a player that the Senators weren't going to keep. That was malfeasance. 

I sure hope Housley can turn this around. Ted Nolan seemed to get the most out of young talent. 

If only Okposo  could return to his pre- injury form , Casey and Ullmark next season and win the lottery draft for a change.

All I was hoping for from Mittelstadt this season was to look like he belongs, and so far so good. 

Ive actually been very impressed by him. Most young rookies usually look kind of scared in their first # of games, and even their 1st season in some cases. They will treat the puck like a "hot potato". As soon as it hits their stick, they're looking to get rid of it. You'll also see them shying away from hits, being hesitant to fly into the corners and retrieve the puck and stuff like that. 

I really haven't seen much of that at all from Mittelstadt. He looks very comfortable on the ice, especially for a 19yr old rookie with no pro experience (I mean, he was playing in High Shool barely over a year ago!). 

I love the speed he plays with, and how relentless he is attacking the puck and backchecking. Eichel could use some more of that in his game (he would be unstoppable!). His passing and vision has been really impressive as well. 

Im cautiously optimistic that we got a real good one with him. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 79 on 4/2 vs. TOR at 7 PM ET
5 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Pretty vicious hit, hopefully Victor is going to be okay. On a positive note, the Sabres scored 3 goals on the ensuing 5-minute Major to put the game away. Jack hat 5 points, Reinhart had a hat trick and Mittlestadt notched his second point in as many games. Maybe the future is a bit brighter than it appears.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

I hate Hartnell, but i am still not 100% sure this was a vicious, avoidable hit. But if he gets suspended, I am a-ok with it. 

Man, that game Wednesday against the Sens is shaping up to be a key game in the tank wars. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I hate Hartnell, but i am still not 100% sure this was a vicious, avoidable hit. But if he gets suspended, I am a-ok with it. 

Man, that game Wednesday against the Sens is shaping up to be a key game in the tank wars. 

When I watched the play and the replays I also didn't see it as a vicious hit. But it was a hit on a vulnerable player. When we watch the game and the replays we don't get a sense how fast the game is and how the players are instinctively reacting. My sense is that this was not a dirty play or rather an intentional dirty hit. 

I didn't watch the whole game because the Sabres are at times a tough watch. What I notice is that with Okposo playing with Mittlestadt  it has given him more room to get his shot off. If Mittlestadt makes Okpo a more effective player then that is like adding an extra player to the roster. Just with a  glimpse of Mittlestadt I like his game and you can see the potential. If the Sabres can get Nylander to make a quantum leap forward then there is hope. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have to agree. I've seen much worse hits not even get called. Antipin was already close to the board. The hit caught him at a weird angle. It wasn't like some hits where a guy is driven head first. 

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have to agree. I've seen much worse hits not even get called. Antipin was already close to the board. The hit caught him at a weird angle. It wasn't like some hits where a guy is driven head first. 

Yep! The only reason that was a major penalty is because he left on a stretcher. If he bounces off the boards and gets right up, it might be a 2 min boarding penalty.