Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have to agree. I've seen much worse hits not even get called. Antipin was already close to the board. The hit caught him at a weird angle. It wasn't like some hits where a guy is driven head first. 

If Antipin would have been hugging the board and got hit he would not have gotten hurt. At worst it would have been a boarding call. What made him vulnerable was that there was space between him and the board and he lacked awareness that a hit was coming. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

If Antipin would have been hugging the board and got hit he would not have gotten hurt. At worst it would have been a boarding call. What made him vulnerable was that there was space between him and the board and he lacked awareness that a hit was coming. 

Yeah, he lacked awareness that a cheap, totally unnecessary hit was coming well after he got rid of the puck. The only player lacking awareness on that play was Hartnell. But that's nothing new with that bastard. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Yeah, he lacked awareness that a cheap, totally unnecessary hit was coming well after he got rid of the puck. The only player lacking awareness on that play was Hartnell. But that's nothing new with that bastard. 

Do you feel the same when Ristolainen does it? 

In real time, how late was the hit? 1 second after he played the puck? If that? 

Edited by thebug

1 hour ago, thebug said:

Do you feel the same when Ristolainen does it? 

In real time, how late was the hit? 1 second after he played the puck? If that? 

Spare me the false equivalence between Ristolainen and Hartnell. As an informed fan, you know better. Risto has never come close to that, nor does he have that reputation. There’s a difference between being being pesky and hard to play against (Kadri) and a cheap shot artist. 

And in in real time, Hartnell had PLENTY of time to make a better decision. His own coach wonders why he’s so stupid. 

Edited by K-9

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Spare me the false equivalence between Ristolainen and Hartnell. As an informed fan, you know better. Risto has never come close to that, nor does he have that reputation. There’s a difference between being being pesky and hard to play against (Kadri) and a cheap shot artist. 

And in in real time, Hartnell had PLENTY of time to make a better decision. His own coach wonders why he’s so stupid. 

In real time he finished his check. 

Risto is plenty dirty. He likes the elbow up on the same hit. 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

I'm not arguing one way or the other whether Hartnell is a dirty player. I just think that on the hit against Antipin that there was nothing egregious about it. If Antipin didn't get hurt and a call of boarding was made I would say that it was a reasonable call. Odds are if Antipin didn't collapse there would not have been a penalty called on that play. 

If you believe that Hartnell was reckless on that play I'm not going to argue with you. That is a reasonable position to take although that I don't consider that play to rise to that level. But if you believe that he was deliberating going out of his way to hurt a player then we disagree. 

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not arguing one way or the other whether Hartnell is a dirty player. I just think that on the hit against Antipin that there was nothing egregious about it. If Antipin didn't get hurt and a call of boarding was made I would say that it was a reasonable call. Odds are if Antipin didn't collapse there would not have been a penalty called on that play. 

If you believe that Hartnell was reckless on that play I'm not going to argue with you. That is a reasonable position to take although that I don't consider that play to rise to that level. But if you believe that he was deliberating going out of his way to hurt a player then we disagree. 

I’m not saying he deliberately tried to hurt a player; I’m saying his totally reckless and unnecessary hit resulted in the injury and it could have been avoided. It was not a close play in the least; puck was long gone; a hockey eternity. Plenty of time to consider your actions. And given Hartnell’s reputation, he gets no benefit of the doubt. 

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m not saying he deliberately tried to hurt a player; I’m saying his totally reckless and unnecessary hit resulted in the injury and it could have been avoided. It was not a close play in the least; puck was long gone; a hockey eternity. Plenty of time to consider your actions. And given Hartnell’s reputation, he gets no benefit of the doubt. 

That’s where you are wrong. Puck was not long gone. Watch it again. I actually can’t believe that you would say that? It’s really a bizarre take on the play. 

1 hour ago, thebug said:

That’s where you are wrong. Puck was not long gone. Watch it again. I actually can’t believe that you would say that? It’s really a bizarre take on the play. 

Hockey eternity. That is for anyone with a modicum of hockey awareness which, admittedly Hartnell has in short supply. 

Bizzare take? That’s rich coming from someone who equates Ristolainen’s reputation with Hartnell’s. Aw, what’s wrong? Did Risto not make nice-nice with Kadri? 

24 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Hockey eternity. That is for anyone with a modicum of hockey awareness which, admittedly Hartnell has in short supply. 

Bizzare take? That’s rich coming from someone who equates Ristolainen’s reputation with Hartnell’s. Aw, what’s wrong? Did Risto not make nice-nice with Kadri? 

You should watch more hockey then. Clueless comes to mind. It was less than 1 second after he played the puck. Players often take 2 or even 3 strides before finishing a check. You are the ultimate homer! 

Watch the Risto hit on Guentzel and compare the time before the hit. Homer!

Hartnell is 35 years old. How many games has he been suspended compared to Risto? 

You want to talk hockey? Let’s talk hockey, but take off the Sabres glasses first or stop wasting my time. 

10 hours ago, thebug said:

You should watch more hockey then. Clueless comes to mind. It was less than 1 second after he played the puck. Players often take 2 or even 3 strides before finishing a check. You are the ultimate homer! 

Hartnell is 35 years old. How many games has he been suspended compared to Risto? 

You want to talk hockey? Let’s talk hockey, but take off the Sabres glasses first or stop wasting my time. 

I love how cocky you Laffs fans are now.

I have no problem with either hit and I watch plenty of hockey.  I wouldn't have called Hartnell for any penalty, in fact I blame Antipin for how non-nonchalant he was  I seriously doubt Hartnell thought VA was going to go all floppy muppet.  I might have given Risto 2 minutes for interference but Crosby put Guentzal on the trolly and the puck was tipped.  It was what it was.  If the puck wasn't tipped, Risto is on time and everyone is lauding him for a pretty good open ice hit.

The only thing I know for certain about the NHL is there won't be any consistency to how any of it is handled.  They'll probably give Hartnell a 5 game suspension because it makes no sense whatsoever.

58 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I love how cocky you Laffs fans are now.

I have no problem with either hit and I watch plenty of hockey.  I wouldn't have called Hartnell for any penalty, in fact I blame Antipin for how non-nonchalant he was  I seriously doubt Hartnell thought VA was going to go all floppy muppet.  I might have given Risto 2 minutes for interference but Crosby put Guentzal on the trolly and the puck was tipped.  It was what it was.  If the puck wasn't tipped, Risto is on time and everyone is lauding him for a pretty good open ice hit.

The only thing I know for certain about the NHL is there won't be any consistency to how any of it is handled.  They'll probably give Hartnell a 5 game suspension because it makes no sense whatsoever.

My cockiness has nothing to do with the Leafs. The rest of your post I agree with. 

The Hartnell hit was cheap. Saying he wasn't trying to injure is BS. He is going full speed into a player against the boards. Whether he hits him in the back or not, he was going for a big hit to fire things up, and for maximum punishment. He has always been in the middle of controversy, whether giving it, or taking it. I would not feel bad if he had his career ended by a hit. Marchand either. 

15 hours ago, thebug said:

Been watching hockey since 1970. Your comparison between Ristolainan and Hartnell is what's clueless here. A simple comparison of their respective PIMs per game over the course of their careers tells the story. Hartnell's hit on Antipin was as unnecessary as it gets because it was so late. I find your "less than one second" argument ridiculous as well, especially given it was a routine puck reversal and Hartnell never bothered going in the direction of the puck. But that one second is an eternity in hockey, anyway. 

I'll be glad to talk hockey any time. But tossing crap isn't talking hockey. When you offer a thoughtful analysis, I'll be glad to chime in. In the meantime, you're right about wasting our time. 

51 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Been watching hockey since 1970. Your comparison between Ristolainan and Hartnell is what's clueless here. A simple comparison of their respective PIMs per game over the course of their careers tells the story. Hartnell's hit on Antipin was as unnecessary as it gets because it was so late. I find your "less than one second" argument ridiculous as well, especially given it was a routine puck reversal and Hartnell never bothered going in the direction of the puck. But that one second is an eternity in hockey, anyway. 

I'll be glad to talk hockey any time. But tossing crap isn't talking hockey. When you offer a thoughtful analysis, I'll be glad to chime in. In the meantime, you're right about wasting our time. 

? one second is an eternity in hockey. Ok. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 80 on 4/4 vs. OTT at 7:30 PM ET
41 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

lets hope its in the tank on Wednesday!

Let's just tank a couple more games and then quit tanking.  Tanking is getting old. It seems there are two ready for NHL prospects- Dahlin and Svechnikov.  We could use both.  But I will take either.  Tanking ensures we get one of them

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Let's just tank a couple more games and then quit tanking.  Tanking is getting old. It seems there are two ready for NHL prospects- Dahlin and Svechnikov.  We could use both.  But I will take either.  Tanking ensures we get one of them

Not anymore

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

If they lose in regulation tomorrow, last is locked for the Sabres. 

The lottery bows go for the first 3 picks, so last guarantees you are picking 4th at worst. Believe it is somewhere around a 50 % chance of being in too 3 if you are last, about 18% getting #1, not sure of two but my guess would be about 35% percent. 

18 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

If they lose in regulation tomorrow, last is locked for the Sabres. 

The lottery bows go for the first 3 picks, so last guarantees you are picking 4th at worst. Believe it is somewhere around a 50 % chance of being in too 3 if you are last, about 18% getting #1, not sure of two but my guess would be about 35% percent. 

Oh I forgot about that rule change.  Figures they make it during our tanking run.  Come on hockey Gods- give us Dahlin please

21 minutes ago, thebug said:

which one? :lol:

wow, Leafs fans getting all high and mighty about being in the tank... having won how many playoff series in the last 12 years???? Oh thats right...zero!!!!!

Two third-place finishes and you would think they have dominated the NHL for the last twelve years.

Least Pats fans have a reason to be arrogant :lol:

2005–0 2005–06 Eastern Northeast 82 41 33 [w] 8 90 257 270 4th Did not qualify
2006–07 2006–07 Eastern Northeast                               Did not qualify
2007–08 2007–08 Eastern Northeast 82 36 35 11 83 231 260 5th Did not qualify
2008–09 2008–09 Eastern Northeast 82 34 35 13 81 250 293 5th Did not qualify
2009–10 2009–10 Eastern Northeast 82 30 38 14 74 214 267 5th Did not qualify
2010–11 2010–11 Eastern Northeast 82 37 34 11 85 218 251 4th Did not qualify
2011–12 2011–12 Eastern Northeast 82 35 37 10 80 231 264 4th Did not qualify
2012–13[x] 2012–13 Eastern Northeast 48 26 17 5 57 145 133 3rd 7 3 4 0 18 22 Lost Conference Quarterfinalsto Boston Bruins, 3–4[77]
2013–14 2013–14 Eastern Atlantic[y] 82 38 36 8 84 231 256 6th Did not qualify
2014–15 2014–15 Eastern Atlantic 82 30 44 8 68 211 262 7th Did not qualify
2015–16 2015–16 Eastern Atlantic 82 29 42 11 69 198 246 8th Did not qualify