Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

wow, Leafs fans getting all high and mighty about being in the tank... having won how many playoff series in the last 12 years???? Oh thats right...zero!!!!!

Two third-place finishes and you would think they have dominated the NHL for the last twelve years.

Least Pats fans have a reason to be arrogant :lol:

2005–0 2005–06 Eastern Northeast 82 41 33 [w] 8 90 257 270 4th Did not qualify
2006–07 2006–07 Eastern Northeast                               Did not qualify
2007–08 2007–08 Eastern Northeast 82 36 35 11 83 231 260 5th Did not qualify
2008–09 2008–09 Eastern Northeast 82 34 35 13 81 250 293 5th Did not qualify
2009–10 2009–10 Eastern Northeast 82 30 38 14 74 214 267 5th Did not qualify
2010–11 2010–11 Eastern Northeast 82 37 34 11 85 218 251 4th Did not qualify
2011–12 2011–12 Eastern Northeast 82 35 37 10 80 231 264 4th Did not qualify
2012–13[x] 2012–13 Eastern Northeast 48 26 17 5 57 145 133 3rd 7 3 4 0 18 22 Lost Conference Quarterfinalsto Boston Bruins, 3–4[77]
2013–14 2013–14 Eastern Atlantic[y] 82 38 36 8 84 231 256 6th Did not qualify
2014–15 2014–15 Eastern Atlantic 82 30 44 8 68 211 262 7th Did not qualify
2015–16 2015–16 Eastern Atlantic 82 29 42 11 69 198 246 8th Did not qualify

Don’t hurt your neck looking up in the standings! Way up! 

28 minutes ago, thebug said:

Don’t hurt your neck looking up in the standings! Way up! 

And how did you get there? By tanking and stinking since 2004, we only stink since 2011. 

BT W, since 2011 we have the exact same amount of playoff series wins Least the Sabres got one less major playoff gag on their record.hmmhmm Boston?

i ain’t givin ya much of a chance in the first round either. Certainly playoff format sucks for the Leafs, but dems da breaks. 

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

And how did you get there? By tanking and stinking since 2004, we only stink since 2011. 

BT W, since 2011 we have the exact same amount of playoff series wins Least the Sabres got one less major playoff gag on their record.hmmhmm Boston?

i ain’t givin ya much of a chance in the first round either. Certainly playoff format sucks for the Leafs, but dems da breaks. 

Those are some stellar talking points. Keep them handy! 

3 minutes ago, thebug said:

Those are some stellar talking points. Keep them handy! 

Again, Pats fans have a reason to talk trash, Leafs fan? Cmon, that’s like Raptors fans get chesty cause they aright this year.  Win something for Christ’s sake  

leafs fan is “ I know I am short, but I am in a room of short guys so that makes me tall. 

Again, win something, anything, even one playoff series. 

Edited by plenzmd1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Again, Pats fans have a reason to talk trash, Leafs fan? Cmon, that’s like Raptors fans get chesty cause they aright this year.  Win something for Christ’s sake  

leafs fan is “ I know I am short, but I am in a room of short guys so that makes me tall. 

Leafs have accomplished plenty this year. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

It reminds of of how much I used to laugh at Boston games back around 2009 when 20-something year old Bruin fans would attempt to taunt me by asking how many Stanley Cups I’ve won. First of all, since I never played pro hockey, clearly I’ve never won any. Second, I’ve never really understood being able to claim something that happened almost 20 years before you were born as a bragging right. 

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

They have...do explain? 3rd place in the division is accomplishing something?

Let's see. There are 2 games remaining and they have already matched the franchise record for most points in a season. 

Last year they went from worst team in the NHL to making the play-offs with 95 points and they have not only improved on those point totals, (possibly by 12 points with 2 more wins) they have improved as a team. 

They improved on goals for and goals against. They were much better at holding a lead this year. They were much better in OT/Shoot-out games. On and on. 

For a young team like this, these are accomplishments for sure.

Teams do not just go from worst in the league to Stanley Cup winners. There are generally some steps (accomplishments) along to way to reach that goal.

Yes the division standing is the same, but the team is not. 

The Leafs could lose again in the first round this year as well, but that does not mean that this team has not had a successful season in regards to heading in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure that if the Sabres went from 69 points to 95 and then to 103-107 points, you would consider them to have accomplished something. 

4-4: Phil Housley on WGR (10:59)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - I didn't envision going through the tough start we had. Jason and I know we have work to do turning things around and we are going to push forward with our vision. #Sabres

Housley - I hope we can send the fans home happy tonight with a win in the home finale. #Sabres

Housley - I think our play without the puck wasn't where we needed it to be this season. When those things keep happening at the wrong time, it puts a lot of stress on our players. #Sabres

Housley - As much as we all wanrt to play in the offensive zone and attack the game, you can't force plays and try to make something happen that's not there. We're going to have to address that moving forward. #Sabres

Housley on Mittelstadt - Casey is going to be a terrific player in this league. He's catching a moving train, but his skill, speed and hockey IQ is really good. He's done a terrific job coming in here, and the experience is invaluable. #Sabres

Housley on Reinhart - We wanted depth down the middle to start the year. He didn't see a reward being down the middle, but when we got him back on the wing and got more comfortable, things really turned around. He's playing with confidence and willing to go to the net. #Sabres

Housley on Alex Nylander - I think he's found his game over the most recent stretch of games. This call up is a reward to his hard work, and he'll be in the lineup tonight. He'll get an opportunity to contribute. #Sabres

all good points bug, put until they win a playoff series, all of it is moot.

Like I said, to get all chesty on their accomplishments is just a bit premature. PLayoffs is all that matters. Having said that, in a real league I think they win a first-round series this year, but this assinine playoff system I think they are cooked.

And let's not forget they tanked just as hard as the Sabres, and their record over the last 12 years is  no better and arguably worse, much worse,  then the Sabres

15 minutes ago, thebug said:

Let's see. There are 2 games remaining and they have already matched the franchise record for most points in a season.

It has nothing to do with the rest of the post, but it drives me crazy when I hear any team making a claim like this one today.  The point and win totals are inflated now thanks to the bonus point handed out to shootout winners.  They can't be compared to anything prior to 2005-2006.

Now that I've vented on my hatred of the shootout, carry on.

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

all good points bug, put until they win a playoff series, all of it is moot.

Like I said, to get all chesty on their accomplishments is just a bit premature. PLayoffs is all that matters. Having said that, in a real league I think they win a first-round series this year, but this assinine playoff system I think they are cooked.

And let's not forget they tanked just as hard as the Sabres, and their record over the last 12 years is  no better and arguably worse, much worse,  then the Sabres

Yeah the play-off system sucks, but that's why you play the games.....

I was called every name in the book around here for suggesting that the Leafs had a brighter future with better talent than the Sabres 2 years ago. Leafs are in the playoffs for the 2nd straight year and the Sabres are about to finish last. It's not premature at all.  :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

It has nothing to do with the rest of the post, but it drives me crazy when I hear any team making a claim like this one today.  The point and win totals are inflated now thanks to the bonus point handed out to shootout winners.  They can't be compared to anything prior to 2005-2006.

Now that I've vented on my hatred of the shootout, carry on.

That's true, but they were unable to accomplish this in the previous 12 years, so it's still a positive. 

I'm not sure how to feel about this game tonight. 

I want the best odds at Dahlin, but I also hate the stigma that comes with finishing in last place. 

But even if we finish last last I have about zero faith/hope that they actually win the damn draft lottery. We've been totally screwed by it every year. I don't know if I'll ever get over the McDavid loss (maybe once the Sabres become a good team, if that ever happens...). Dahlin would sure help. 

I feel like we are due for a draft lottery lottery win though, and the odds did go up this year from 18% to 18.5% (assuming it passes the vote). Still not as good as the Maple Leafs 20% odds in 2016. But the 18.5% last place odds Are better than the 13.5% odds you get as the 2nd last place team... 

If we lose tonight, last place is locked in. Even if we win in regulation we are still 1 point behind Ottawa. Tonight is probably their last chance at a win for this season though. They play Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Boston... 

Ultimately, I'll take the best odds at Dahlin. Buffalo could probably use him more than any other team in the NHL. But if we don't get him, Boqvist wouldn't be a bad consolation prize... this looks like a great year to need a defenseman. There are as many as 5 ranked in the top 10 of the draft. 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ultimately, I'll take the best odds at Dahlin. Buffalo could probably use him more than any other team in the NHL. But if we don't get him, Boqvist wouldn't be a bad consolation prize... this looks like a great year to need a defenseman. There are as many as 5 ranked in the top 10 of the draft. 

If you could add Dahlin, Borgen, and Guhle next year, the future of the D suddenly looks transformed.  If we miss out on Dahlin, however, I would be tempted to take Svechnikov.  But as we know, the hockey gods are cruel to Buffalo.  We'll finish last and end up picking fourth :angry:

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If you could add Dahlin, Borgen, and Guhle next year, the future of the D suddenly looks transformed.  If we miss out on Dahlin, however, I would be tempted to take Svechnikov.  But as we know, the hockey gods are cruel to Buffalo.  We'll finish last and end up picking fourth :angry:

Svechnikov would definitely be nice. 

The top of this draft looks very promising. 

If we end up in the #2 spot and miss out on Dahlin, it might be hard to pass on a guy like Svechnikov or Zadina (or even Tkachuk). You can't reach for a defenseman just because of need. You have to go Best player available IMO.

There are a lot of very enticing defensive prospects in this draft though. Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes could all go top 10-15, with Smith, Merkley, Wilde possibly in the top 15-20 (or at least the 1st round). This looks like a great year to grab a defenseman. I'm sure a few will fall and maybe you can grab one with our top 2 pick in the 2nd, or even trade back up into the 1st. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

If we end up in the #2 spot and miss out on Dahlin, it might be hard to pass on a guy like Svechnikov or Zadina (or even Tkachuk). You can't reach for a defenseman just because of need. You have to go Best player available IMO.

There are a lot of very enticing defensive prospects in this draft though. Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes could all go top 10-15, with Smith, Merkley, Wilde possibly in the top 15-20 (or at least the 1st round). This looks like a great year to grab a defenseman. I'm sure a few will fall and maybe you can grab one with our top 2 pick in the 2nd, or even trade back up into the 1st. 

The fellas on the HockeyFutures Sabres' board seem to like Hughes after Dahlin, though some prefer Boqvist.  I would be fine with Svechnikov or Zadina early and trying to trade back up into the 1st for D if we miss out on Dahlin.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Dahlin obviously would be great, but any of the top three would serve as a desperately needed talent infusion. 

If you add McCabe to the defensive group and consider Antipin better adjusted to the North American game then the cupboard isn't so empty with this unit. So you got Risto, Guhle, McCabe, Nelson making a good skating up and down unit. Maybe Bogo can go against the odds and stay healthy. He needs to adjust his game from a banging style to a more skating and puck moving style. 

If Nylander can make the jump with a good offseason and you add him to the mix with Mittlestadt then you are adding some speed and skill to this slow and sluggish team. 

What seems obvious is that this staff is not enamored with Lehner. I doubt he will be on next year's roster. This was a boondoggle deal that the former GM made. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you add McCabe to the defensive group and consider Antipin better adjusted to the North American game then the cupboard isn't so empty with this unit. So you got Risto, Guhle, McCabe, Nelson making a good skating up and down unit. Maybe Bogo can go against the odds and stay healthy. He needs to adjust his game from a banging style to a more skating and puck moving style. 

If Nylander can make the jump with a good offseason and you add him to the mix with Mittlestadt then you are adding some speed and skill to this slow and sluggish team. 

What seems obvious is that this staff is not enamored with Lehner. I doubt he will be on next year's roster. This was a boondoggle deal that the former GM made. 

Still not a first pairing among the entire group. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Still not a first pairing among the entire group. 

I agree with you that there isn't a first pairing. But if your first three pairings are solid and responsible then the unit  in general is going to be upgraded. I consider Risto a top pairing type of player. He would be a better player with an authentic first pairing partner. But if you don't have it you just don't have. The next best option is to upgrade the secondary pairings and have a general improvement. 

It's a shame that the Bogo acquisition so far hasn't worked out. It was a set back. Wouldn't it be nice to have Tyler Myers back on the roster?  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Antipin = Not Good.

1 minute ago, snafu said:

Antipin = Not Good.

Antipin = Not Bad 

Don't be so ready to give up on him. There is a big adjustment coming from Russia to North America. He can skate and pass. That's what this regime is looking for. Be patient and you might find a bonus that you didn't expect. 

4-4: Pierre LeBrun Discusses the State of the Sabres on WGR (14:33)

LeBrun- I did get tremendous vibes from Jack Eichel in terms of young superstar having that light bulb moment and saying I can't let that happen again here. That's more of a body language thing but combine that with some good pieces on that team...

Potentially the first pick in this draft and I think a GM that now he's absorbed everything around him for 12 months and I think is gonna be ready to make some here.

LeBrun- I was wondering which team around the NHL was going to pick Jason Botterill out of Pittsburgh because he was a big part of that team winning 3 Stanley Cups. Really bright guy who isn't cut from the cloth of well I'm a former player so it's just the eye test...

He does the eye test. He believes in analytics, he believes in scouting, he believes in all the different aspects that make a team successful. It's just that he's got a lot on his plate.

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Antipin = Not Bad 

Don't be so ready to give up on him. There is a big adjustment coming from Russia to North America. He can skate and pass. That's what this regime is looking for. Be patient and you might find a bonus that you didn't expect. 

At least Antipin still has a chance to be coached and grow. Bogo is who he is.

• Like (+1) 1

4-4: Sabres GM Jason Botterill on WGR (22:37)

Continuing #Sabres talk now with GM Jason Botterill

Botterill- We tried to be as supportive as possible with Casey. Sitting down at the start of the season with not only the player, and setting goals... following up with the coaching staff to make sure you're on the same page as him

Botterill- It's a unique thing with Casey, we were able to get confirmation that he was gonna get the opportunity to play at the World Championships too with Team USA. So he could come into Buffalo right away, get a real feel for, how the games are...

What the speed and the level is at the NHL, but then also get the opportunity to still play games over at Denmark at the World Championships.

Botterill- In the 2nd half, what we've been really happy about is even without the production, there's been a lot of engagement with Chris Taylor and his staff down there. A willingness on Alex's part to try to understand the game.

Botterill- There's no value in losing. There's a lottery system here now.

Botterill- That's what the next couple of months is. Have our meetings with our pro staff to really evaluate things with our core to see what changes we have to make with our group.

Botterill- Casey Nelson and his agents have been improessed with our organization because there has been improvement in his own game this year and we've given him opportunity here.

10 minutes ago, thebug said:

At least Antipin still has a chance to be coached and grow. Bogo is who he is.

Bogo is built like a guerrilla but fragile like a piece of glass. When you look at his physical traits you are impressed. When you see him sidelined every year and sitting in the owner's box you want to just move on and not see the same scenario play out again. It's a shame. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

4-4: Sabres GM Jason Botterill on WGR (22:37)

Continuing #Sabres talk now with GM Jason Botterill

Botterill- We tried to be as supportive as possible with Casey. Sitting down at the start of the season with not only the player, and setting goals... following up with the coaching staff to make sure you're on the same page as him

Botterill- It's a unique thing with Casey, we were able to get confirmation that he was gonna get the opportunity to play at the World Championships too with Team USA. So he could come into Buffalo right away, get a real feel for, how the games are...

What the speed and the level is at the NHL, but then also get the opportunity to still play games over at Denmark at the World Championships.

Botterill- In the 2nd half, what we've been really happy about is even without the production, there's been a lot of engagement with Chris Taylor and his staff down there. A willingness on Alex's part to try to understand the game.

Botterill- There's no value in losing. There's a lottery system here now.

Botterill- That's what the next couple of months is. Have our meetings with our pro staff to really evaluate things with our core to see what changes we have to make with our group.

Botterill- Casey Nelson and his agents have been improessed with our organization because there has been improvement in his own game this year and we've given him opportunity here.

It took Pegula a while to learn the pro businesses he bought into. I like the staffs he has assembled on the hockey and football side of his empire. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They hit the simulator and....

1)NYI 

2)Van

3)CHI

4)BUF

Obviously this is just a simulator but Interesting thing is NYI comes up first with Calgary's pick which had a 2.5% chance.