Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

12 hours ago, NYGPopgun10 said:

I bet it wasn’t full Saturday. Games are no longer all selling out thanks to Dolan. He priced out a lot of fans in the lower bowl since the renovation. My family goes to about 20 games. I get to 8-10 depending if our friend has extras. I’ve been going for 21 years. The building isn’t the same. Too many rovers or unknowledgable fans who don’t wait for whistles. We sit all the way up in 419 final 2 rows. Limited view. So pricing doesn’t affect us. We don’t see the scoreboard. I don’t care. I’ll be at the final home game on Friday vs Tampa Blueshirts. Hard to believe the home season ends so early. 

As far as Buffalo, I thought Housley would do better. His quote the other night was pathetic. It’s Game 73 and you’re saying that. I’ve debated with my Sabres and diehard Bills pal over Eichel. He says they should consider moving him. I wouldn’t. This guy stays healthy, he will be a beast. I hope he can achieve elite status and help them turn it around. You guys have great and loyal fans. Back in the day, quite a few Sabres fans would invade MSG. 

They desperately need a defenseman. Obviously, Dahlin would be immense for that franchise. Ristolainen is good offensively but not so much on D. He is a 2. Give him a elite franchise guy and it can work. They should’ve done better for E. Kane. Maybe he’ll re-up in San Jose guaranteeing them a additional 1. 

Is Ullmark any good? Is he the future? Lehner doesn’t have it. They need a upgrade. They also need Reinhart to become a consistent scorer. 25-30 goals and 50-55 points. Nylander hasn’t done well at all. They should’ve gotten McAvoy. Oh well. You really gotta hit on those high picks. 

It was damn near full, and loud every time they played that "Goal" song (which I actually like).

Burning a year of his ELC, but McKenzie tweeted something about his late birthday not a true RFA or need to be protected in expected expansion draft in two years. I will live with it I guess. I expect more “ process” with both him and Borgen, and expect to see both start the season in Rochester next year. 

23 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The difference is that atleast your going into the season with the intention to try and win games. Your fielding your best possible team while intending to try and win until the deadline when it becomes apparent that your team can dump some expiring contracts and start rebuilding.

Pulling a Buffalo and going into the season with the intention or goal of being the worst so you get the best odds at the #1 pick is rarely done and frowned upon because people are paying good money to watch and be entertained by the team and it doesn't help the league when teams intentions aren't to try and win every game.

And people don't pay good money to see those post-deadline games?  Selling off the expiring contracts is the same exact practice as the so called tank.  One is just more extreme than the other.  Where exactly is the line for when it becomes frowned upon?

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Burning a year of his ELC, but McKenzie tweeted something about his late birthday not a true RFA or need to be protected in expected expansion draft in two years. I will live with it I guess. I expect more “ process” with both him and Borgen, and expect to see both start the season in Rochester next year. 

Yeah, I'm in the same exact camp, they both start out the year with the Amerks next year.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yay. Excited to see him play. 

Sucks that they burn a year off his entry level contract though (even though he won't play more than 9 game in Buffalo. Because of his age, there is some stupid rule that if he plays even 1 NHL game this year it burns a year off his ELC). 

But it sounds like he will will still be exempt from a 2020 expansion draft, so that's good. 

Couldn't burning that year be the thing that got him to sign now?  I really didn't want to be wondering any longer if he'd become a Sabre.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bbb said:

Couldn't burning that year be the thing that got him to sign now?  I really didn't want to be wondering any longer if he'd become a Sabre.

I get the feeling that the team didn't have much interest in throwing him into the AHL playoffs.  Borgen has three years of college hockey under his belt.  That goes a long way in terms of physical development and being ready for the demands of a professional playoff series.  Mittelstadt is in a spot where he may very well be better served in getting his quick cup of tea and then getting a full offseason of work within the organization.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Definitely could be the case. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Mittelstadt was leaning toward going back to school another year and this is ultimately what enticed him to sign. Botterill may have offered him the Will Borgen deal - ATO this year and an ELC that kicks in next year. 

Or it it could be that Botterill either 1) thought getting Mittelstadt some NHL games this year would allow him to best prepare this summer for an NHL gig next year. Or 2) wanted to see how close Mittelstadt was to being ready for a full time NHL job so he knew better what he has for next year, and possibly so he knows if he can trade a guy like ROR without leaving a huge hole at #2 C (or a combination of all of the above). 

Jason Botterill is scheduled to give a press conference later today, so maybe we find out a little more then (although I doubt Botterill would actually admit "yeah we wanted him in the AHL but this is the only way we could get him signed"... lol). 

Ultimately, I don't know if burning a year off his ELC is really that big of a deal anyway. 

If he turns out to be really great, we will be paying him no matter what (and if he turns out to quickly be a franchise guy like Eichel, it's likely they give him a new deal as soon as he's eligible - after 2yrs - anyway). 

And if he's a slower developer, his next deal will just be cheaper for the Sabres.

Plus They can still send him to the AHL next year if need be. This year doesn't count toward the expansion draft, so he will still be exempt in 2020, and he won't have arbitration rights or the ability to sign an offer sheet when the ELC is up. 

Id still have preferred not to burn an ELC year and earn his stripes in the AHL but it's nothing I'm upset over. I'm actually very excited to see him play! 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 77 on 3/29 vs. DET at 7 PM ET
On October 18, 2017 at 8:07 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Thas true, and yep the deficit is already pretty big when you factor in games played. I need to search for that stat I saw last year, something like 92% chance of missing the playoffs if you are more than 4 points back end of October.

edit. This was from a few years back, not sure how last 3 season went.

http://grantland.com/features/nhl-playoff-chances-november/

On October 18, 2017 at 9:38 PM, snafu said:

I get what you're saying and I hope the Sabres buck the trend. October isn't over yet, and these are the teams 4 points or more out of a wild card as of now:

Florida (4)

Boston (4)

Buffalo (4)

Montreal (3)

NYR (3)

Edmonton (4)

Arizona (5)

Revisiting this...

Boston in. Florida hanging by a nail. Everyone else out.  Probably going to be one in seven this season. 

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Mittlestadt can completely change the Sabres fortunes next year.

That's the shot in the arm they need.

I doubt that he is going to change the fortunes of this team that needs to be reconstituted. In general, the team is too slow and sluggish. When you watch other teams play it is a different fast paced game. Okposo was a major miscalculation from the type of player he is and the contract he garnered. O'Reilly is a good old style of player in a new style league that emphasizes speed, something he doesn't have. He is a good player but not a player who plays commensurate to his contract.

Mittlestadt is probably going to be on the NHL roster next year and he will be a good addition. But some of our better prospects are at least a couple years away. If Nylander doesn't make a quantum leap forward next year this will be a major set back. As I see it there is no quick fix. The player I feel sorry for is Jack. He is on a team that can't keep up with him and play with him.   

4 hours ago, snafu said:

Revisiting this...

Boston in. Florida hanging by a nail. Everyone else out.  Probably going to be one in seven this season. 

Great setup the NHL has, with the three point games.

10 hours ago, snafu said:

Revisiting this...

Ty for looking at this, was just thinking about it! Amazing...and that was 10/18. What was the season, 2 weeks old? Man , a fast start is so important!

22 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I haven't.  I can't do it.

I sincerely hope we win the damn lottery this time.  We need a break after all we've been through.  I do have faith in Botterill but at this point the Housley hiring looks like there's a dumpster fire smoldering.

The team needed a father figure more than a big brother as coach, imo 

As bleak as this season has been, beating the friggin' Leafs is always a ray of sunshine. 

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

He's still a kid. He needs to get a lot stronger or he's going to get killed. 

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

Not by himself. This team needs to fill out its talent pool. Look at the Leafs they have Kadri, Marner, Mathews, Nylander, Marleau, Van Reimsdyke and a few others that are in double digits in goals 

We will have Jack, ROR, Sam, and..Okposo. Hopefully our Nylander and Casey can close the gap along with this years top pick. Maybe pick up a free agent? 

22 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yay. Excited to see him play. 

Sucks that they burn a year off his entry level contract though (even though he won't play more than 9 game in Buffalo. Because of his age, there is some stupid rule that if he plays even 1 NHL game this year it burns a year off his ELC). 

But it sounds like he will will still be exempt from a 2020 expansion draft, so that's good. 

And that's exactly why they did it this way.  Good situation for both parties.

3-27: Jason Botterill on WGR (15:46)

#Sabres general manager Jason Botterill joins Howard and Jeremy right now on WGR! Tune in:

Botterill - we told Casey through the middle half of the season to focus on his game and we'd talk after his college season. He felt he was ready to make the jump and we moved forward with the decision to bring him to Buffalo. #Sabres

Botterill - It was a fortunate situation where both of our opinions came together, and we're looking forward to the next six games and looking forward into next season. #Sabres

Botterill - he's played in big games where he's played against top-end players. The NHL is a different game, but we're hopeful he can have some success here. It will allow him to grow and have a good summer. #Sabres

Botterill - Casey's hockey sense and skill is his best attribute. He's worked on his shot through the season and has improved. He's also extremely competitive in the big games. He checks off a lot of boxes. #Sabres

Botterill - we like Casey's versatility. We'll probably start him off at center, but look to put him in some other spots as we go in the last few games here. #Sabres

Botterill - I thought a great game in  Toronto last night. He used his speed and skill, it's what we're looking for of our elite players. #Sabres

Botterill - We're looking forward to having Will Borgen in Rochester. It will accelarate his development process, and we'll have a good look at him during training camp. #Sabres

Botterill - I think Nylander's game has improved drastically. He had a rough start to the season, but he's been better with his speed among other aspects. He's worked extremely hard in Rochester. His compete level has improved, and it's been rewarded with more points. #Sabres

Botterill - CJ Smith would be probably be in Buffalo if it hadn't have been for his second half injuries. He had a great start to his season in Rochester. #Sabres

Botterill - We're excited about Rasmus Asplund and Victor Olofsson in Sweden. Hope to talk to Asplund to see where he's at, and we see Olofsson being in Rochester developing his game here next season. #Sabres

Botterill - we know that wherever we end up in the lottery, we are going to get a heck of a player. #Sabres

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

3-27: Jason Botterill on WGR (15:46)

#Sabres general manager Jason Botterill joins Howard and Jeremy right now on WGR! Tune in:

Botterill - we told Casey through the middle half of the season to focus on his game and we'd talk after his college season. He felt he was ready to make the jump and we moved forward with the decision to bring him to Buffalo. #Sabres

Botterill - It was a fortunate situation where both of our opinions came together, and we're looking forward to the next six games and looking forward into next season. #Sabres

Botterill - he's played in big games where he's played against top-end players. The NHL is a different game, but we're hopeful he can have some success here. It will allow him to grow and have a good summer. #Sabres

Botterill - Casey's hockey sense and skill is his best attribute. He's worked on his shot through the season and has improved. He's also extremely competitive in the big games. He checks off a lot of boxes. #Sabres

Botterill - we like Casey's versatility. We'll probably start him off at center, but look to put him in some other spots as we go in the last few games here. #Sabres

Botterill - I thought a great game in  Toronto last night. He used his speed and skill, it's what we're looking for of our elite players. #Sabres

Botterill - We're looking forward to having Will Borgen in Rochester. It will accelarate his development process, and we'll have a good look at him during training camp. #Sabres

Botterill - I think Nylander's game has improved drastically. He had a rough start to the season, but he's been better with his speed among other aspects. He's worked extremely hard in Rochester. His compete level has improved, and it's been rewarded with more points. #Sabres

Botterill - CJ Smith would be probably be in Buffalo if it hadn't have been for his second half injuries. He had a great start to his season in Rochester. #Sabres

Botterill - We're excited about Rasmus Asplund and Victor Olofsson in Sweden. Hope to talk to Asplund to see where he's at, and we see Olofsson being in Rochester developing his game here next season. #Sabres

Botterill - we know that wherever we end up in the lottery, we are going to get a heck of a player. #Sabres

The Sabres have a core group of players in the minors who have NHL potential but they are at least a couple years away. I just don't see a quick turn around for this slow and sluggish team. 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Not by himself. This team needs to fill out its talent pool. Look at the Leafs they have Kadri, Marner, Mathews, Nylander, Marleau, Van Reimsdyke and a few others that are in double digits in goals 

We will have Jack, ROR, Sam, and..Okposo. Hopefully our Nylander and Casey can close the gap along with this years top pick. Maybe pick up a free agent? 

Obviously not by himself, but he is the kickstart they need.

Only the Edmonton Oilers can lead a game by 3 goals, yet lose that same game by 4 goals.

And only the Edmonton Oilers can have the best player in the sport and yet be so non-competitive.

The Edmonton Oilers...........

the "Real" Mickey Mouse organization.

And yet Edmonton likes to give the team Gretzky originally called a Mickey Mouse organization top forwards for pennies on the dollar (Arnott and Hall).

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rumor has it Casey went to the movies to celebrate but couldn't get in to see the one he wanted because it was PG13.  Holy crap he looks young.

20 hours ago, Tiberius said:

We have a Nylander too, but he blows.  Genius Murray picked him based on his name.  Still, that is a better method than picking goalies based on tattoos.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

Only the Edmonton Oilers can lead a game by 3 goals, yet lose that same game by 4 goals.

And only the Edmonton Oilers can have the best player in the sport and yet be so non-competitive.

The Edmonton Oilers...........

the "Real" Mickey Mouse organization.

And yet Edmonton likes to give the team Gretzky originally called a Mickey Mouse organization top forwards for pennies on the dollar (Arnott and Hall).

Haha, that is one old grudge you got there, buddy.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, snafu said:

Haha, that is one old grudge you got there, buddy.

you aint kidding. NJ, assume you looking down at Florida more than up at CBUS, but know that loss would have helped. 

See Florida has the Sabres 2nd to last day..you may need that game. Looks like the two with the Leafs is going to huge for yall.