Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/02/inside-the-sabres-it-comes-down-to-a-matter-of-respect/

This is actually a really good article/point by John Vogl. 

Id quote the article, but it's pretty short and worth reading the whole thing. 

I do think he has a very good point, and I can see where what he's saying could be a very real issue with this team. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 66 on 3/5 vs. TOR at 7:30 PM ET
23 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/02/inside-the-sabres-it-comes-down-to-a-matter-of-respect/

This is actually a really good article/point by John Vogl. 

Id quote the article, but it's pretty short and worth reading the whole thing. 

I do think he has a very good point, and I can see where what he's saying could be a very real issue with this team. 

Is this a team thing or more broadly cultural?  Authority in general is often painted as fundamentally incompetent and corrupt.  Millenials have a sense of entitlement.  NBA the players mostly dictate, don't they?  Add in, Housley doesn't project a tough guy demeanor.  I can see that it is a problem, but it's not evident what the solution is.

Hope the Sabres get you a win, you are good fans in here.

Too boring watching the Leafs as they are stuck in finishing 3rd in the division, and Lou and Babcock know how to drain the excitement out a game 

Game Preview: 3/5/18 vs. Toronto

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Friday, March 2
Buffalo 1 at Florida 4
Goals: Reinhart
Goalie: Lehner (26 saves/30 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 3/3; Shots: Florida 30 – Buffalo 25

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 225)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 22 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 12 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11; injured reserve) – 10 games
Evan Rodrigues (upper body, March 2) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/27: Recalled F Seth Griffith from Rochester (AHL)
3/4: Recalled F Kyle Criscuolo and D Brendan Guhle from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Wednesday, March 7: Calgary at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, March 8: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 10: Vegas at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Thursday, March 15: Toronto at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 17: Chicago at Buffalo, 1 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
MAPLE LEAFS at SABRES
  • This is the first of four meetings between the Sabres and Maple Leafs this season.
  • Last meeting: Toronto defeated Buffalo 4-2 in Buffalo on April 3, 2017
  • Next meeting: Thursday, March 15 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 6-4-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Maple Leafs; 8-2-0 at home.
  • This is the 207th game all-time between Buffalo and Toronto; Buffalo has a 113-67-26 series record.
  • The Sabres are 69-27-8 at home against the Maple Leafs all-time.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Toronto is in town and I can't even get $16 for my tickets. This is how far things have fallen, not just with Sabres fans but Leafs fans too.

Wow, that’s unbelievable. 

Going Ng to several early games next year less than 10k in the stands I think. People will flock back if they are good, but they will need to prove it first, much like 05-06. 

Feel for ya STH era. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 67 on 3/7 vs.CGY at 7:30 PM ET
1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

that was the most fun game to watch this year! 

What's evident is that the Sabres are not collectively fast enough to be an up and down skating team. When they create congestion in front of the net they are more likely to score. It appears that Reinhardt now understands that is where he is going to prosper. 

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What's evident is that the Sabres are not collectively fast enough to be an up and down skating team. When they create congestion in front of the net they are more likely to score. It appears that Reinhardt now understands that is where he is going to prosper. 

And just in time, his contract is up at the end of the year.  Imagine that, what are the odds?

Edited by ricojes

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

:lol::lol:

I just checked the score... I wonder if they are "stealth tanking"... 

Always good for a Laughs win, even with the TO fans down slumming in B-Lo.  Makes for a cheery ole time when waiting to go home across the bridges. ;)

Thanks Sabres youth for giving an effort!

They're on an 11-10-2 stretch over the last couple months.  It's baby steps, but it's growth.  There's no intention to tank here.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

They're on an 11-10-2 stretch over the last couple months.  It's baby steps, but it's growth.  There's no intention to tank here.

It's not unusual that teams that are out of the playoff hunt with meaningless games with respect to playoff implication do play better because there is less pressure. It's also not unusual that faltering teams are more likely to face backup goalies so the starter can get a rest. Teams playing lagging teams are more inclined to sit players with nagging injuries. That doesn't happen when teams are facing teams they are vying for either the playoffs or positioning. My point is that at this time of year don't fall into the trap of overrating what is being accomplished in the bottom feeding environment. 

• Like (+1) 1

My point is that at this time of year don't fall into the trap of overrating what is being accomplished in the bottom feeding environment. 

Win last night was all about bounces and "puck luck". There is nothing they can do the remainder of this season to convince me major changes are not needed. 

I 100% agree to do not get sold on false positives

40 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Win last night was all about bounces and "puck luck". There is nothing they can do the remainder of this season to convince me major changes are not needed. 

I 100% agree to do not get sold on false positives

They absolutely need plenty of changes. These stretches are where you figure out which pieces might actually be worth keeping around. 

They absolutely need plenty of changes. These stretches are where you figure out which pieces might actually be worth keeping around. 

I don't see a quick fix. What players on this roster have value in a deal? The only one I can think of is Reinhart. O'Reilly and Okposa aren't very marketable. They are expensive and slow for this fast paced league. I'm not saying they aren't good but I am saying that they are not very marketable and wouldn't bring back much in return. Risto has value but do you really want to get rid of him? Giving up a first round pick for Lehner, a player that Ottawa was going to shed, was a bad deal. 

Anyone who objectively watched the Sabres for more than the first half of the season recognizes that this team simply doesn't have enough talent. There were plenty of times that this team wasn't disciplined on the defensive end. But when you get right down to the heart of the matter there is a dearth of talent. If Nylander doesn't come around by next year that will be a major blow. Will Mittlestadt come out and how soon will he be ready?

The previous GM had a lot of bluster and made a lot of moves. They didn't add up to much. There are two steps to respectability: get rid of talent and then add talent. 

3-7: Phil Housley on WGR (11:48)

Housley - The #Sabres-leafs rivalry is such a great rivalry. I like the way our team played against the Leafs. We got the early lead, took them out of the game early, and it was a great game for our fans.

Housley - the preparation from our guys has been very good over the last 14-15 games, they know they have to be ready to play. They're on their mark, and they've played some really good hockey teams. #Sabres

Housley - we know we have to work together as a team. When we're playing together, we've been winning hockey games. #Sabres

Housley - It's an evaluation process in the last stretch of games. They're meaningful games, and I want to see how the guys respond. There's a lot to prove yet. It's a good way to builld for the future. #Sabres

Housley on Brendan Guhle - it's a game-to-game evaluation to see where he is. Toronto was a very good test for him, and he handled it well. He brings speed, and I like the way he attacks the game. He creates offense for us. #Sabres

Housley - he's a young man playing against really strong players. He has to feel out the leverage, and he'll improve with his strength with more experience. #Sabres

Housley - Casey Nelson had a slow start to the year, but he's bounced back and been a pleasant surprise for us. He's going to mature also and get stronger. I like how he attacks the game, and he finds ways to get shots through. #Sabres

Housley on Victor Antipin - He's adjusted well to the North American game. I like how he's taking charge defending in his own zone, and using his mobility and passing going the other way. He's been playing some steady hockey. #Sabres

Housley - the NHL has to take a look at goaltender interference. There's been some discrepancies with the call, and it needs to be more consistent. #Sabres

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

3-7: Phil Housley on WGR (11:48)

Housley - The #Sabres-leafs rivalry is such a great rivalry. I like the way our team played against the Leafs. We got the early lead, took them out of the game early, and it was a great game for our fans.

Housley - the preparation from our guys has been very good over the last 14-15 games, they know they have to be ready to play. They're on their mark, and they've played some really good hockey teams. #Sabres

Housley - we know we have to work together as a team. When we're playing together, we've been winning hockey games. #Sabres

Housley - It's an evaluation process in the last stretch of games. They're meaningful games, and I want to see how the guys respond. There's a lot to prove yet. It's a good way to builld for the future. #Sabres

Housley on Brendan Guhle - it's a game-to-game evaluation to see where he is. Toronto was a very good test for him, and he handled it well. He brings speed, and I like the way he attacks the game. He creates offense for us. #Sabres

Housley - he's a young man playing against really strong players. He has to feel out the leverage, and he'll improve with his strength with more experience. #Sabres

Housley - Casey Nelson had a slow start to the year, but he's bounced back and been a pleasant surprise for us. He's going to mature also and get stronger. I like how he attacks the game, and he finds ways to get shots through. #Sabres

Housley on Victor Antipin - He's adjusted well to the North American game. I like how he's taking charge defending in his own zone, and using his mobility and passing going the other way. He's been playing some steady hockey. #Sabres

Housley - the NHL has to take a look at goaltender interference. There's been some discrepancies with the call, and it needs to be more consistent. #Sabres

If you look at the comments that Housley made about our young defensemen he is essentially saying that there is a good core of a young and good skating players. If you add in Risto, McCabe to the group that includes Guhle, Nelson and Antipin then you are building a good unit. With the exception of the physical Risto the identity is speed and puck movement. It's a good starting off point. This team needs more up and down forwards and finishers. 

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you look at the comments that Housley made about our young defensemen he is essentially saying that there is a good core of a young and good skating players. If you add in Risto, McCabe to the group that includes Guhle, Nelson and Antipin then you are building a good unit. With the exception of the physical Risto the identity is speed and puck movement. It's a good starting off point. This team needs more up and down forwards and finishers. 

It also wouldn't hurt if they figured out a way to rig the lottery machine.  You'd have a real nice core of young d-men after that.

I do wonder about Nelson though.  He can walk after the season very easily.  It's tough to build up that depth if those depth guys decide to leave to free agency.

Game Preview: 3/7/18 vs. Calgary

LAST GAME
Monday, March 5
Toronto 3 at Buffalo 5
Goals: Reinhart, Pominville, Girgensons, O’Reilly, Larsson
Goalie: Johnson (38 saves/41 shots)
PP: 1/2; PK: 0/2; Shots: Toronto 41 – Buffalo 24

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 229)

Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 23 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 13 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11; injured reserve) – 11 games
Evan Rodrigues (upper body, March 2) – 2 games
Kyle Criscuolo (upper body, March 7) – 0 games

3/7: Recalled F Danny O’Regan from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, March 8: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Monday, March 19: Nashville at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
FLAMES at SABRES
  • This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Flames this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Calgary 2-1 (OT) in Calgary on Jan. 22
  • The Sabres are 5-3-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Flames; 9-0-1 at home.
  • This is the 107th game all-time between Buffalo and Calgary/Atlanta; Buffalo has a 52-36-18 series record.
  • The Sabres are 33-13-6 at home against the Flames all-time.
Morning Skate: March 7, 2018 from 10:15 am – 11:15 am at KeyBank Center

It also wouldn't hurt if they figured out a way to rig the lottery machine.  You'd have a real nice core of young d-men after that.

I do wonder about Nelson though.  He can walk after the season very easily.  It's tough to build up that depth if those depth guys decide to leave to free agency.

I don't think that Nelson is going to leave primarily because with Buffalo he is going to get playing time. He is far from being elite but his upside is being a solid third pairing defenseman. 

The one player who I thought was going to be good was Bogo. He simply can't stay healthy. I have felt for a long time that he plays too much of a brutish game instead of a more finesse and fast skating defenseman. Physically he has all the tools. But the problem is just because you are built like a guerilla that doesn't mean that you should play like one. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I don't think that Nelson is going to leave primarily because with Buffalo he is going to get playing time. He is far from being elite but his upside is being a solid third pairing defenseman.

I'm not so sure you can rely on playing time.  He'll be able to find that somewhere else if he wants.  What it would come down to is familiarity with the organization/system and being happy with that.  Familiarity with the system is going to be in question, obviously.

I turned this #$%^ off... I'm watching a movie instead. I hope the Bills turn us on next year because there is no way the Sabres will. WTF

On with The Haunting....

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 68 on 3/8 vs. OTT at 7:30 PM ET

Game Preview: 3/8/18 at Ottawa

LAST GAME
Wednesday, March 7
Calgary 5 at Buffalo 1
Goals: Nelson
Goalie: Johnson (18 saves/22 shots)/Lehner (18 saves/19 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 2/2; Shots: Calgary 41 – Buffalo 26

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 234)
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 24 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 14 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11; injured reserve) – 12 games
Evan Rodrigues (upper body, March 2) – 3 games
Kyle Criscuolo (upper body, March 7) – 1 game

UPCOMING GAMES
Wednesday, March 21: Arizona at Buffalo. 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at SENATORS
  • This is the third of four meetings between the Sabres and Senators this season.
  • Last meeting: Ottawa defeated Buffalo 3-2 (OT) in Ottawa on Feb. 15
  • Next meeting: Wednesday, April 4 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 7-0-3 in their last 10 games vs. the Senators; 4-4-2 on the road
  • This is the 136th game all-time between Buffalo and Ottawa; Buffalo has a 66-49-20 series record.
  • The Sabres are 30-27-12 on the road against the Senators all-time.
Morning Skate: March 8, 2018 from 11:15 am – 12:15 pm at Canadian Tire Centre

Oh boy, a shootout. 

Automatic loss? 

Edit - OMG we won a shootout!! 

I am in shock... lol. 

Anyone know, is that Lehner's 1st shootout win as a Sabre? 

Or has he won one before? 

Edited by BillsFan4

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 69 on 3/10 vs. VGK at 1 PM ET

Game Preview: 3/10/18 vs. Vegas

LAST GAME
Thursday, March 8
Buffalo 4 at Ottawa 3 (SO)
Goals: Scandella, Reinhart, Wilson; GDG-Josefson
Goalie: Lehner (37 saves/40 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 4/4; Shots: Ottawa 40 – Buffalo 34

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 241)
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 25 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 15 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11; injured reserve) – 13 games
Evan Rodrigues (upper body, March 2) – 4 games
Kyle Criscuolo (upper body, March 7) – 2 games
Seth Griffith (upper body, March 8) – 1 game
Kyle Okposo (concussion, March 10) – 0 games

3/9: Recalled F Justin Bailey from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Wednesday, March 21: Arizona at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 23: Montreal at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TODAY’S GAME
GOLDEN KNIGHTS at SABRES
  • This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Golden Knights this season.
  • Last meeting: Vegas defeated Buffalo 5-4 (OT) in Las Vegas
  • This is the second game all-time between Buffalo and Vegas.