Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

At least ROR got going a bit. They're digging themselves too deep of a hole, though, which is really disappointing.

Thas true, and yep the deficit is already pretty big when you factor in games played. I need to search for that stat I saw last year, something like 92% chance of missing the playoffs if you are more than 4 points back end of October.

edit. This was from a few years back, not sure how last 3 season went.

Not really, as it turns out. Friedman took a deeper look in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column.1 In the seven seasons since the 2005-06 lockout,2 only three teams have managed the comeback: the 2006-07 Flames, the 2010-11 Sabres, and the 2011-12 Bruins. That’s it. Every other team that was four points back when the calendar flipped over was a dead team walking.

As you may be aware, today is November 1. And a quick look at the standings shows that eight teams are currently in Friedman’s danger zone, four points (or more) out of a playoff spot.3 Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

http://grantland.com/features/nhl-playoff-chances-november/

Edited by plenzmd1

Thas true, and yep the deficit is already pretty big when you factor in games played. I need to search for that stat I saw last year, something like 92% chance of missing the playoffs if you are more than 4 points back end of October.

edit. This was from a few years back, not sure how last 3 season went.

http://grantland.com/features/nhl-playoff-chances-november/

I get what you're saying and I hope the Sabres buck the trend. October isn't over yet, and these are the teams 4 points or more out of a wild card as of now:

Florida (4)

Boston (4)

Buffalo (4)

Montreal (3)

NYR (3)

Edmonton (4)

Arizona (5)

VGK doing well right now is a slap in the face to every organization and their fans who are trying to rebuild the right way.

But I am not expert enough to tell you if Vegas has staying power or not.

Heck, I ain't expert enough to tell you if the Devils have staying power. Even though they seem to have excellent forward depth and three good young Dmen to build around. Will it be good enough? I have no idea.

I know the Devils have been talking to Arizona and another team about acquiring a Dmen (they aren't revealing the second team to me), but the early season price tag is way too substantial

VGK doing well right now is a slap in the face to every organization and their fans who are trying to rebuild the right way.

But I am not expert enough to tell you if Vegas has staying power or not.

Heck, I ain't expert enough to tell you if the Devils have staying power. Even though they seem to have excellent forward depth and three good young Dmen to build around. Will it be good enough? I have no idea.

I know the Devils have been talking to Arizona and another team about acquiring a Dmen (they aren't revealing the second team to me), but the early season price tag is way too substantial

We got a youngin locked in for 5 more years, getting paid like a #1, playing the minutes of a number 1, but actually playing like an AHLer. Y'all maybe take Risto off our hands? Cause much like ROR, his game has done nothing but gone south over the last 13 months.

So listen, I know I am on a trade everyone at this point, and only being half serious, but damn you got like $19M/year tied up between Okposo, ROR and Risto for the next 5 at least , and all of them playing like hot garbage going back to January of last year, and steadily getting worse. That's scary. And add into that our second best forward is a UFA at the end of the year.yikes!

Having said that, anyone have some cheapies for Friday night?

10-19: PHIL HOUSLEY ON WGR (10:38)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Jeremy White right now on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - Vegas was tremendous. Great building, great excitement. Lots of #Sabres fans, which was nice. Too bad we didn't get the win

Housley - I think our work level was extremely high vs. Montreal, then it dipped a bit because we focused too much on our system. #Sabres

Housley - I thought we played an outstanding game in LA, and it all came together for us in Anaheim. It comes down to preparation #Sabres

Housley - getting to know the players and creating relationships takes some time, but we don't have that time. We've put ourselves in a hole

Housley - our work habits have been good. As we move forward, we'll continue to work and try to improve our team #Sabres

Housley - we're going to sit down this morning and evaluate everything to see if we make any changes for the weekend #Sabres

Housley - Ristolainen has played a lot of hockey to this point. He's a tremendous competitor, a big part of our team. #Sabres

Housley - It's a day-to-day thing for Girgensons. Everything is okay with him #Sabres

Housley - Chad Johnson had a strong game for us in Anaheim, earned the next start in Vegas. #Sabres

We got a youngin locked in for 5 more years, getting paid like a #1, playing the minutes of a number 1, but actually playing like an AHLer. Y'all maybe take Risto off our hands? Cause much like ROR, his game has done nothing but gone south over the last 13 months.

So listen, I know I am on a trade everyone at this point, and only being half serious, but damn you got like $19M/year tied up between Okposo, ROR and Risto for the next 5 at least , and all of them playing like hot garbage going back to January of last year, and steadily getting worse. That's scary. And add into that our second best forward is a UFA at the end of the year.yikes!

Having said that, anyone have some cheapies for Friday night?

Some secondary scoring will go a long way. Hopefully we finally saw the start of that in Vegas. I know it's early, but I imagine that no one would have guessed the horrible record if they were told there are 3 players averaging over a point a game. Maybe if they can get those other guys going, it's going to take some pressure off of the crappy team defense.

And speaking of those cheapies for friday, I'm just glad to see them back out east. I never have enough gas in the tank to watch much of those west coast road trip games.

I get what you're saying and I hope the Sabres buck the trend. October isn't over yet, and these are the teams 4 points or more out of a wild card as of now:

Florida (4)

Boston (4)

Buffalo (4)

Montreal (3)

NYR (3)

Edmonton (4)

Arizona (5)

Montreal has not won since opening night against us. Wow.

They miss Nathan Beaulieu! :thumbsup:

The Devils have been a marvel.

It's WAY too early, but this team is exciting.

I'll reserve judgement as to what kind of team they are until later in the year. I wanna see how it plays out.

Edited by njbuff

10-20: GM JASON BOTTERILL ON WGR (16:50)

#Sabres GM Jason Botterill joining the guys now at @716FoodandSport!

Botterill- Trying to figure out who needs the pat on the back and who needs a harsher tone

Botterill- The experiences I had playing factor into how I handle people and how I try to interact with people

Botterill- The people I surround myself with I have to trust their opinions, it's impossible to be an expert in all of these areas

Botterill- Evander from day 1 in training camp has come in focused, in incredible shape, and enjoys playing this system