Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

I wonder how these same Sabres fans feel today. I know it's early, but boy does the Sabres youth movement seem stalled.

I will ask this to the Sabres fans............... Is there any way out of their mess now or is it bleak for you guys?

Well, to me at least, a big problem right now in the "youth movement" is none of the guys are working out.

And I am including in that statement guys like ROR, Sammy, Lehner, Baptiste, Bailey, Nylander, Kulikov...all producing squat! ROR has been mostly awful since the start of last season.

I was bitching about his play last year, and the excuse I got back was he was just eating too many minutes. Something wrong with that guy, and that is a major salary and a major piece expected production.

Look at these trades by GMTM, not a great record. Combine that with zero draft picks outside Jack having a point so far this year, and this is what you get.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Tim_Murray/274/1

Get ready to go to the bottom again, and seeing the likes of ROR, Sammy , and Kane being dealt during the season if things dont change in a hurry!

Our boy Marcus topok a big shot last night

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/blackhawks-john-hayden-destroys-wild-player-with-vicious-haymaker-during-fight/

Edited by plenzmd1

The Sabres do look like the worst team in NFL right now.

No argument there. :lol:

Good God that is wrong.

Look at the last few contending teams the Sabres had. Regier built them. And with cheap-ass ownership. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Murray got the hook prematurely in my opinion, but if he had to be sacrificed in order to get rid of Disco Dan, so be it.

I never liked the deal with Winnipeg; I also didn't like the way Murray took a huge pool of defensive talent and quickly dealt it all out the door save Risto and McCabe.

But his deal to get ROR was great. I know it doesn't look it this year so far b/c ROR has been a no-show, but he is the best player on the team when he is going and should be a solid contributor here for a long time to come.

Then you have the 1st round draft pick burned up on Lehner. I like him OK, but he is nothing that is replaced, and we paid a big price for him. That is another fair knock on Murray: he was an over-spender.

So yes, Murray had his flaws but I liked his direct approach and I think, given time, he could have pulled things together. It was somewhat unfair to dump him when he was dumped.

We have 10 new bodies in the lineup this year; that is a huge amount of turnover and upheaval to have to absorb. Plus they are all learning a new way of doing things.

They seem shell shocked at the moment but I think they will grow out of this slump...though it will take time.

I think we are already on the outside trying to look in in terms of the playoffs, even if there is still nearly a full season to go.

I have said for a long time that we need to try and keep moving, acquiring big pieces for the team. We still don't have enough yet.

I am starting to have serious reservations about ROR Fading, and it goes back to last year. His first year he was a beast, he was a JAG last year, and so far this year is just invisible.

And he ran over a TimHorton's.

Murray took a pile of resources that were enough to build a lasting top tier NHL team and turned it into Jack Eichel surrounded by the worst available players he once scouted and the Sabres are the worst team in the league. What he did was criminal AND he was a dick about it the entire time.

And he ran over a TimHorton's.

Murray took a pile of resources that were enough to build a lasting top tier NHL team and turned it into Jack Eichel surrounded by the worst available players he once scouted and the Sabres are the worst team in the league. What he did was criminal AND he was a dick about it the entire time.

He played good after running over that Tim Hortons. I was thinking maybe he has to do it again.

Kane you freaking ass hole. What a terrible penalty to take with 2 minutes left in the game.

LA now has 3 goals on 3 power play attempts tonight, after not scoring a single power play goal so far this season.

Buffalo and Arizona are the only 2 teams left without a win.

This team needs to take Eichel's comments to heart and get sick of losing, or get shipped out of Buffalo. This team has no real killer instinct. They can't even show up for a whole damn game. Like tonight, they play a great first period so they decide that they don't need to show up for the second.

I feel bad for Housley...

Edited by BillsFan4

Kane you freaking ass hole. What a terrible penalty to take with 2 minutes left in the game.

LA now has 3 goals on 3 power play attempts tonight, after not scoring a single power play goal so far this season.

Buffalo and Arizona are the only 2 teams left without a win this season.

get what ya can for Kane, ROR, and Sammy in a deep draft. PLayoffs are out of the question.

And anyone who wants to say to early needs to research NHL probabilities once the shootout has come into play.

Edited by plenzmd1

get what ya can for Kane, ROR, and Sammy in a deep draft. PLayoffs are out of the question.

And anyone who wants to say to early needs to research NHL probabilities once the shootout has come into play.

You would be crazy to trade those guys! You would have to hit on every pick you got for them just to get NHL caliber players.

Way too early, no matter what probabilities say!

Way too early, no matter what probabilities say!

Too early for what? They are out of the playoff race and we are not even halfway through October. And yes, I will book any bet up to 5K that they miss the playoffs.

Those guys all need to go just from a clean the house perspective, they are part of the problem, not the answer.

Damn, Its almost 2AM and I cant get to sleep as I am disgusted by this team. 5 games in and the freaking season is over.

Edited by plenzmd1

Too early for what? They are out of the playoff race and we are not even halfway through October. And yes, I will book any bet up to 5K that they miss the playoffs.

Those guys all need to go just from a clean the house perspective, they are part of the problem, not the answer.

Dude, those guys you list have only been here a couple of years.

It's way too early to even be talking of starting another rebuild. It usually takes a good 5-6 years to recover from a full tear down as it is, so it's not all that shocking that Buffalo isn't a great team yet. Complete scorched earth tear down rebuilds, especially the scale of the one the Sabres did, don't just happen overnight. Our longest tenured player has Beane here what, 4 years? That's almost unheard of. Tearing down again isn't going to make things better IMO.

There's no reason to be dumping 21 year old players like Reinhart for draft picks anyway, especially for what would likely be later 1sts who would take years to contribute on a meaningful level in the NHL.We just have to keep building and have some patience. Trading away our best players for draft picks isn't the way to get better.

Some me players take longer to develop than others, too. Reinhart is only started no his 3rd year in the NHL. Guys like Henrik and Daniel Sedin weren't the great players they are today until year 4 or 5 in the NHL. Reinhart out scored more points in his 1st year than Henrik Swdin did in his 4th year, but then he blew up in his 5th year and has been an amazing player ever since.

Kane may have to be traded (since he's a UFA to be) if he's not going to be re-signed, but that's different than trading away our recent #2 overall draft pick and our #1 C, who are both still very young. I don't see ROR as a problem anyway.

We have to keep building and not panic over a crappy start.

There's still too much dead weight on this team, too. But it'll take time to replace them.

Dude, those guys you list have only been here a couple of years.

It's way too early to even be talking of starting another rebuild. It usually takes a good 5-6 years to recover from a full tear down as it is, so it's not all that shocking that Buffalo isn't a great team yet.

I just do not get the love for ROR, dude was garbage last year, and is invisible again this year. Mr. Big Stuff on ice.

If Botteril can dump that salary and get any asset in return, he is GM for life. Throw in Okposo in the trade and he can own the GD team.

And I don't buy the timeline, Toronto ain't have any of these conversations. Freaking New Jersay has more exciting young players than the Sabres.

It's broken, history says they ain't making the playoffs, no need to fool ourselves, start over .

As I said, I got any bet up top 5K they ain't making the playoffs, and yes, I will escrow the money with anyone who wants to make the bet

Edited by plenzmd1