Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

I just do not get the love for ROR, dude was garbage last year, and is invisible again this year. Mr. Big Stuff on ice.

If Botteril can dump that salary and get any asset in return, he is GM for life. Throw in Okposo in the trade and he can own the GD team.

And I don't buy the timeline, Toronto ain't have any of these conversations. Freaking New Jersay has more exciting young players than the Sabres.

It's broken, history says they ain't making the playoffs, no need to fool ourselves, start over .

As I said, I got any bet up top 5K they ain't making the playoffs, and yes, I will escrow the money with anyone who wants to make the bet

Man...I was a fan of TM when he was here...I loved his transparency....he absolutely !@#$ed this team over hardcore....we are in terrible spot. Besides jack things look very bad

I just do not get the love for ROR, dude was garbage last year, and is invisible again this year. Mr. Big Stuff on ice.

If Botteril can dump that salary and get any asset in return, he is GM for life. Throw in Okposo in the trade and he can own the GD team.

And I don't buy the timeline, Toronto ain't have any of these conversations. Freaking New Jersay has more exciting young players than the Sabres.

It's broken, history says they ain't making the playoffs, no need to fool ourselves, start over .

As I said, I got any bet up top 5K they ain't making the playoffs, and yes, I will escrow the money with anyone who wants to make the bet

Here is my opinion -

Just because it's looking like the Sabres won't make the playoffs this year doesn't mean we need to start over again. We just started over like 4 years ago and it was on an epic scale. It's not the type of thing you just recover from in a few seasons. We are barely out of the tank years... dumping good young players only sets the timeline back even further.

I didn't think ROR was garbage last year. Not at all. He wasn't as good as he was year 1 but he was still damn good and his season still qualifies as that of a #1 C. He started the year out with a back injury too, and I don't think it ever got the chance to heal, especially with Bylsma using him for every single face off.

I know you said you don't want to hear about his minutes, but that is a thing. He faced some of the toughest QOC in the NHL, while playing damn near the most minutes of any forward.

You trade ROR and you leave a huge hole at #1 or #2 C. As Eichel takes over the #1 C role, and ROR takes that #2 spot he will be one of the better/best #2C's in the NHL. He's a borderline #1C and a very strong #2C.

We seen for YEARS with the old Sabres teams how hard it was to find top line centers. It was our biggest weakness before the tank and a huge reason why the Sabres tanked in the first place. Now we finally have some good C depth and you want to trade it away for anything you can get? No thanks. Top centers are just as hard to come by as top defenseman. When you have them you usually don't trade them, and for good reason.

Also, it's not fair to compare Buffalo to Toronto. They did not do the same type of tear down rebuild we did. They did a retool. They had been rebuilding and drafting high since 2007-08 (outside of one good year IIRC) and they kept a lot of those players from previous teams who are impact players for them now. Where as Buffalo completely turned over their roster on a scale that is hardly ever seen in the NHL. Our longest tenured player is Zemgus Girgensons who's been here 4 going in 5 seasons. So Toronto has a 5 year jump on us the way I look at it. Plus they hired possibly the best coach in the NHL during their one tank year and are also gifted the 1st overall pick that one last place year (something the Sabres never got).

New Jersey also did not do the same type of rebuild Buffalo did, and it's only been 5 or so games. Buffalo once went on a 10-3 run with their tank team, so let's not crown them yet. They do look exciting so far, though.

It would be more accurate to compare Buffalo to the rebuilds of teams like Pittsburgh or Chicago, who struggled and rebuilt for many years before climbing out of it. Chicago had 4 losing seasons followed by 1 playoff appearance, then 5 more losing seasons before they made the conference finals in '08-'09 and won the Cup the following year. Pittsburgh had 4 straight years of #1 or #2 overall picks, where they got literally the best player in the world and another top 5 NHL player. Pittsburgh wasn't even stripped as bare as Buffalo was, either.

BTW, I am not opposed to good hockey trades (player for player) that make Buffalo a better team right away. But they should absolutely not even be thinking about trading guys like ROR or Reinhart for whatever they can get, or even for draft picks. That would just set us back even further.

Edited by BillsFan4

When GMTM was still around, he made some pretty big and important decisions impacting draft picks and making key moves that would ultimately form the core this team was supposed to win multiple Cups around.

At that time, I was somewhat critical, thinking "Really, you are going to build a mini-dynasty around Evander Kane and Bogo? There is a reason those guys are available."

Then he took our youth-filled D core and reduced it to McCabe and Risto.

The ROR acquisition was great but GMTM didn't put a lot of key pieces into the core other than him.

Our "Dynasty Core" is still a work in progress. It needs more tweaking.

I'd be all in favor of more moves to redefine it.

Man...I was a fan of TM when he was here...I loved his transparency....he absolutely !@#$ed this team over hardcore....we are in terrible spot. Besides jack things look very bad

He couldn't have done worse if he was trying. Maybe his uncle Bwian put him up to it.

@BradleyGelber

Per @FriedgeHNIC, Sam Reinhart's name started to come up, but the #SabresNHL_2017_2018_Buff_Sabres.png aren't looking to make a snap decision. https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-tonight-friedman-on-karlsson/t-277350912/c-53560603

DMWcWJxXUAEjqx5.jpg

package him with ROR and we got something!!

Just kdding BillsFan4. You made some compelling points above, I am just not an ROR fan at this stage, and really started to turn on him about Christmas last year.

Just finished watching the Sabre game. Man, did this look like a lot of games last year. and glad to see Housley was pissed and not happy just cause they rallied for a point. They were awful for long stretches of this game.

BTW, I hate west coast games

Just finished watching the Sabre game. Man, did this look like a lot of games last year. and glad to see Housley was pissed and not happy just cause they rallied for a point. They were awful for long stretches of this game.

BTW, I hate west coast games

At least ROR got going a bit. They're digging themselves too deep of a hole, though, which is really disappointing.