Cardale Jones is ranked 15th best backup QB in the NFL!!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take it! 15th is not bad!

For full article, see:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2017/06/08/power-ranking-the-nfls-backup-qbs-moore-garoppolo-lead-but-kaepernick-could-be-there-too/?utm_term=.32eaf75b5c94

Power ranking the NFL’s backup QBs: Moore, Garoppolo lead, but Kaepernick could be there too

Here’s a ranking of the league’s backups from best to worst, based on their chances of producing an above-average level of adjusted net yards per pass in a game if called into service during the 2017 season. Rookies were given an average adjusted net yards per pass figure based on historical averages of first-year NFL passers, modified for expected playing time and opportunity.

Solid options

1. Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins, 54 percent chance at being better than an average starter

2. Jimmy Garoppolo, New England Patriots, 51 percent

Useful stand-ins

3. Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles, 46 percent

4. Colt McCoy, Washington Redskins, 44 percent

5. Brandon Weeden, Houston Texans, 43 percent

6. Kellen Clemens, San Diego Chargers, 43 percent

7. Chase Daniel, New Orleans Saints, 43 percent

8. A.J. McCarron, Cincinnati Bengals, 42 percent

9. Chad Henne, Jacksonville Jaguars, 42 percent

10. Kellen Moore, Dallas Cowboys, 42 percent

Not-ready-for prime-time players

11. Trevone Boykin, Seattle Seahawks, 42 percent

12. Matt Schaub, Atlanta Falcons, 42 percent

13. Derek Anderson, Carolina Panthers, 42 percent

14. Connor Cook, Oakland Raiders, 41 percent

15. Cardale Jones, Buffalo Bills, 41 percent

16. Geno Smith, New York Giants, 41 percent

17. Landry Jones, Pittsburgh Steelers, 41 percent

18. Mitch Trubisky, Chicago Bears, 41 percent

19. Patrick Mahomes II, Kansas City Chiefs, 39 percent

Emergencies only

20. Sean Mannion, Los Angeles Rams, 39 percent

21. Ryan Mallett, Baltimore Ravens, 39 percent

22. Brett Hundley, Green Bay Packers, 38 percent

23. Paxton Lynch, Denver Broncos, 38 percent

24. Scott Tolzien, Indianapolis Colts, 37 percent

25. Kevin Hogan, Cleveland Browns, 36 percent

26. Matt Cassel, Tennessee Titans, 35 percent

Clipboard holders

27. Matt Barkley, San Francisco 49ers, 31 percent

28. Drew Stanton, Arizona Cardinals, 30 percent

29. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 30 percent

30. Jake Rudock, Detroit Lions, 29 percent

31. Case Keenum, Minnesota Vikings, 27 percent

32. Bryce Petty, New York Jets, 27 percent

LOOOOOOLLLLL :D

Kellen Clemens being that high makes me want to vomit. Good old Mr 54% with more turnovers than scores, a "useful stand-in" he ain't.

Although, with the criteria set, I see why Cardale might be up there. With an arm like his, the deep ball is a viable theoretical point, thus leading to plausible chunks of yardage to be gained.

I'm sorry, this list is a joke.

It truly is. Brandon Weeden is listed under "useful stand ins" at 5th overall. I doubt the person who made the list has ever watched a football game.

Edited by BarleyNY

By whom? Whaley as I recall said he was in the "top third" or maybe "top quarter" but that's a long way from #2. Can't recall anyone here doling out more love for EJ as a #2

Do recall one delusional upstart thinking EJ > Taylor but you can't fix cra cra

By whom? Whaley as I recall said he was in the "top third" or maybe "top quarter" but that's a long way from #2. Can't recall anyone here doling out more love for EJ as a #2

Do recall one delusional upstart thinking EJ > Taylor but you can't fix cra cra

Whaley made a public proclamation about EJ being one among the best #2s.

But on this board , there were numerous vocal EJ supporters. Despite the empirical evidence on the playing field and hospitality tent, support didn't really die down till final game he played against Jets. There is still belief that a fresh start with another team will finally show us the trrue EJ

In other news, Garoppolo has already been named to the ProBowl in 2018. "Based on his two games in the league, he has a 50% chance of making it to the HOF", stated Rob Johnson earlier in the day.

lol.

Remember that this is chance to be better than an average starter. We have Hackenberg bringing down the starter group heavily unless the writer of this article did a truncated mean.

Man! this list is SILLY.

I think somebody's mom made this list.

both fitz and geno are not guys you want to rely on but fitz is much better than geno is the point.

I think it depends on how you interpret the ranking and data. If you take it literally, it is the likelihood the replacement QB will exceed the starter in net yards per game.

In that case, Cardale Jones doesn't have to do nearly as much as Fitzpatrick to exceed the starter's average, so as far as replacements go, the Bills don't drop as far as the Buccaneers if their starter is injured.

It doesn't mean Jones is better than Fitzpatrick. It just means the drop off from Taylor to Cardale is significantly less than the drop off from Winston to Fitzpatrick.

Almost more an indictment of Taylor than Fitzy.

I'm not sure how you account for Geno Smith replacing Eli Manning on that basis admittedly.

What's also interesting using that evaluation criteria, is one would expect Moore to outperform Tannehill if he became the starter more often than not. Maybe?

That also indicates Garrapolo should basically equal Tom Brady's output on average. Uhhhh....no.

On second thought, yeah - this list is jacked up no matter how you interpret it.