Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

Not sure how much credence to give this radio station but it's out there

https://sportstalk360.com/2017/05/26/buffalo-bills-receiving-sammy-watkins-trade-offers/

The Bill would want minimum a 2nd-rounder potential a late 1st-round pick for Watkins, since the Franchise traded away two first round picks and a fourth round pick back in the 2014 NFL Draft, selecting Watkins with the 4th pick overall ... is reported that the Buffalo Bills have received official trade request for Watkins and are believed to be entertaining the offers seriously as the 2017 season edges closer.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a bold move.

Could be a homerun if he still battles the injury bug. Also though, could turn out to be a Lynch 2.0 trade.

It would be crazy having 3 first rounders next year though...

I'll trade anyone if the price is high enough....except a Franchise QB. If it were to help land a Franchise QB, as much as I love Saammy's potential, sign me up. But quite the gamble.....

Trading Watkins is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. Then again this is the Bills.

I thought you were all about getting the QB? What if you got a very high pick for a guy you might only have one more year, and it gave you more ammo to get up very high in a (supposedly) QB rich draft?

Trading Watkins is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. Then again this is the Bills.

it is but a rumor, and we have no idea what kind of factors are involved here...injuries, attitude, family, finances? i am kinda thinking of it like hockey, don't want to lose him for nothing.

Band of misfits?

Edelman, Gronk, Hernandez, Moss were misfits?

And Tom Brady's arguably the best QB of all time. ****ty take.

what i am getting at is that brady has taken a bunch of guys (and yes, gronk is a monster, moss is a HOFer, and the rest are far from bums) and maximized their potential. a qb that can read a defense, anticipate, and hit a receiver in stride, is far more valuable than even the best wr in the game. a great wr can make his qb better, but a great qb can make his whole team better.

having been destroyed by tom brady and his band of misfit toys for the past 15 years, i will respectfully offer that if you have the right qb, the rest will fall into place.

Yep and when you win the powerball jackpot you can stop going to work.

All makes sense now........good plan you got there. :flirt:

Brady is the EXCEPTION.

Most other franchise QB's......like the lowly Peyton Manning types, for instance......need star talent at WR.

We didn't trade away two first round picks and a fourth for Sammy. We traded away one first round pick in the deal. We used one to draft him.

PLEASE GOD not this again. Please - what do you want, I'm begging you? Is it money that you seek? Sexual favors? My first born child? What will it take for you to go back in time and not write this post? I'll do anything. I can't survive this discussion again.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

PLEASE GOD not this again. Please - what do you want, I'm begging you? Is it money that you seek? Sexual favors? My first born child? What will it take for you to go back in time and not write this post? I'll do anything. I can't survive this discussion again.

Yeah its pretty stupid.

Customer is in line with 20 dollars to pay for his shirt and doesnt feel like waiting. Pays 20 dollars to move to the head of the line.

Customer: I only paid twenty dollars for the shirt....

With the WR "depth" the way it is I really can't see this happening even if his agent told them he's not signing an extension here.

Yeah, I don't see it happening either, but my point is there is always a price, and the QB is the most important piece. Again, I do LOVE what Sammy can bring to the table!

I thought you were all about getting the QB? What if you got a very high pick for a guy you might only have one more year, and it gave you more ammo to get up very high in a (supposedly) QB rich draft?

And whose absence is likely to increase the value of your own first round pick in an upcoming draft reportedly rich with QB talent. If they're looking at Taylor as a bridge and they don't see a long term future that includes Watkins then do the deal now in the honeymoon instead of losing him later for nothing, as much as I would hate the move as a fan.

Yep and when you win the powerball jackpot you can stop going to work.

All makes sense now........good plan you got there. :flirt:

Brady is the EXCEPTION.

Most other franchise QB's......like the lowly Peyton Manning types, for instance......need star talent at WR.

all i know is that i have seen teams with great qbs look like they are playing a different sport than we are many of the past years. and i also have vivid images of trent running out of bounds on 4th down, fitzpatrick's flopping ducks (and i love fitz), ej getting his guys cut in half, and tyrod (and i really do like tyrod) not being able to see guys running free down the middle of the field. it is a bit of a dream i have to get a great qb, but i think it is one i have to cling to.

Yeah, I don't see it happening either, but my point is there is always a price, and the QB is the most important piece. Again, I do LOVE what Sammy can bring to the table!

i agree. As a fan, I can't handle this idea. If I had a crystal ball that said it would all work out for the better then I could grapple with it.

Trading Watkins doesn't help get a QB. Unless you're trying to tank. If you tank do it right and don't have Sean Jauron his way to 6 or 7 wins.

Are we trading Sammy for Aaron Rogers?

I thought it was Sammy for a draft pick.

For a 3rd first, it's more ammo to go get the NEXT great QB. If you only have one season left with Sammy???? I'm not even saying I'm for it unless the deal is right and you have the inside scoop. But I can see making a case for it....

i agree. As a fan, I can't handle this idea. If I had a crystal ball that said it would all work out for the better then I could grapple with it.

My crystal ball is in the shop, so I'm just wondering at this point...

If they are hell bent on getting their own QB next year, and not in love with Sammy or his LA Fitness hoops, you never know. I'm very doubtful, but if they feel it's only one year left?

I wouldn't mind trading Sammy along with a couple of our top picks to secure the #1 spot in the 2018 draft- but then again I believe Zay Jones will be our #1 receiver in a few years anyway...better get something for Sammy while we still can.

Edited by JaCrispy

With the WR "depth" the way it is I really can't see this happening even if his agent told them he's not signing an extension here.

Doesn't need to sign an extension.

He can be franchised.

When you start entertaining trade requests from 23 year olds you might be too immature to be in charge of a franchise yourself. :doh:

One successful season and the world may look completely different to a kid that age.

One of the problems with hiring middling people to run your franchise is that you have to fire them often and the next middling hires come in and say they are not going to pay any attention to the past and then proceed to repeat mistakes.

If only to prevent a repeat of what that bastard Eugene Parker did to this organization you simply can't entertain trade requests.........Sammy is big but you gotta' think even bigger picture........slippery slope in a small market with a losing culture.

It's not just trade requests, when you acquiesce to nonsense you earn disrespect form your players.......like Aaron Schobel telling the Bills he was going to stay home in Texas all week and show up on gamedays........can't let the nonsense start.

Learn from the Bills past mistakes Seamus McDermott........don't be a fool. :thumbsup:

Trading Watkins doesn't help get a QB. Unless you're trying to tank. If you tank do it right and don't have Sean Jauron his way to 6 or 7 wins.

Yea I don't get trading Sammy after the draft once you kept Tyrod-- it's the fast track to 6 wins which is our worst case scenario

Especially since he will have to pass the physical of a lifetime on that foot for a team to take him. If it's healed we want the kid here long term.

Yeah its pretty stupid.

Customer is in line with 20 dollars to pay for his shirt and doesnt feel like waiting. Pays 20 dollars to move to the head of the line.

Customer: I only paid twenty dollars for the shirt....

Backup slowly.......don't lose eye contact......

I wouldn't mind trading Sammy along with a couple of our top picks to secure the #1 spot in the 2018 draft- but then again I believe Zay Jones will be our #1 receiver in a few years anyway...better get something for Sammy while we still can.

Zay Jones is not and never will be a #1WR. If Beane thinks that get him out of here.

Seriously.

If Watkins is threatening to not resign let him sit and pout with the franchise tag on him...

Same deal with Gilmore- should've traded him last year just like we should trade Sammy this year imo

Edited by JaCrispy

Sean Jauron, nice! :lol:

I wonder if Sean is aware that we've seen control enthusiasts before.

They all have a plan.......like Greggo......but he was begging Donahoe for more fat guys by year 2. :doh:

This ain't Carolina......Cam isn't here to have an MVP season and carry you......and you don't win this division with 7-8-1 record like the NFC South. :lol:

Same deal with Gilmore- should've traded him last year just like we should trade Sammy this year imo

You need a trade partner first. Watkins is a frustrating case because when healthy he is a top 10 WR, but is obviously injury prone. Unless you get a high 1st rounder, I wouldn't pull the trigger. He could have a great year this year and next year we'd be arguing about whether the season was a fluke and whether we should use the franchise tag or sign him long term.

You need a trade partner first. Watkins is a frustrating case because when healthy he is a top 10 WR, but is obviously injury prone. Unless you get a high 1st rounder, I wouldn't pull the trigger. He could have a great year this year and next year we'd be arguing about whether the season was a fluke and whether we should use the franchise tag or sign him long term.

I hear ya- I feel the same... I'm wondering if we trade him at the start of training camp when he will be good to go on his foot, if we could get a 1st rounder from a team like the Browns since they have two

Edited by JaCrispy

Gilmore is a good player........but he's a flawed, one-trick pony, who has had consistent injury issues over a longer period than Sammy. SG might make a few pro bowls but he will never be great.

Watkins is a potential HOF talent........he's more in that elite Jason Peters category in terms of potential.......in that he could become the league's very best WR for a period of his career. Only 23 years old.

This and the Marshawn Lynch and Dareus and Kouandjio situations should be red-flags for future picks though.........think long and hard about drafting 20 year old kids from the south and CA and plopping them in white suburban Buffalo.......lotta' culture shock and they aren't mature enough to handle it......expecially because they've been getting fast tracked.............those extra couple years make a big difference when contract time comes up.

If they trade Watkins they will have to spend another first to get a #1WR. And whoever they draft will not be as good as Sammy.

You have to stay healthy to be good, and as of late...Watkins hasn't been healthy. Bottom line is he hasn't produced lately.

We are at a point where we have to decide whether to pay a guy who has shown to not stay on the field, and we are also a run first team that doesn't have a QB who can truly utilize a player of Sammys ability.

Getting another first round receiver on a rookie deal to grow with the next QB could work out much better than keeping Watkins at a high price while he underperforms due to the QB and possibly continues dealing with injuries (and the foot could be a long term problem).

I am a huge Watkins fan, but there is a case to be made that moving on from him and getting a good return makes some sense...especially if you look at where this team is now.