Polian told by Bills exec Dareus must 'Ship up or Ship out"

Marcell DEAD MONEY:

2017 - $38.3 mil

2018 - $22.2 mil

2019 - $7.8 mil

2020 - $1.4 mil

....think he knows he's in the driver's seat and holds all of the cards for the next two years?.......only possible option would be a June 1, 2018 designated cut and spread the pain over two years if I understand the rule correctly......that ankle "injury" could be lasting a long time................

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't need to listen to Kiper, McShay or Mayock to see how good of a player Dareus was at Alabama.

Marcell Dareus was a legitimate Top 5 pick in that draft, and D-Line was a priority for the Bills that year.

The selection of Dareus made sense.

Mark.. I love the history revisionists which this board thrives on. In this case its Dareus, in others its Sammy. Today I saw someone post everybody better than Kujo NOW after he was cut. I bet on the lost tapes everybody wanted Brady drafted too.

You didn't need to listen to Kiper, McShay or Mayock to see how good of a player Dareus was at Alabama.

Marcell Dareus was a legitimate Top 5 pick in that draft, and D-Line was a priority for the Bills that year.

The selection of Dareus made sense.

...of course it did....only problem is when a guy cashes on a mammoth contract, does he keep it in DRIVE for the love or the game or slap it in NEUTRAL because his wallet is overstuffed?.....perhaps the "Haynesworth Effect"?......

I don't know how you grade "he tries hard", but he is one of, if not, the highest paid DT in the NFL and should be an impact player.

23 games played over the last two seasons...5.5 sacks.

well, when your coach wants you (a DT) to drop back in coverage every so often... is it any wonder he had only 5.5 sacks?

Years ago I heard an interview with Marcel, in which he stated that Nick Saban controlled every minute of his life, and would have to "lighten up" if he was in the pros. It's purely conjecture on my part, but Marcel almost seemed a tad resentful of Coach Saban. That said, I don't remember him getting into trouble at Alabama.

My point? I think that Dareus has proven to be lacking in discipline and impulse control. People like this often get into serious trouble, whether or not they are pleasant, nice people, and Dareus seems like a nice enough kid. I believe that he needs to play for a strict disciplinarian type of coach. He seems like the kind of kid who needs to be afraid of reprisals to stop him from screwing up.

Let's face it, when you put 100 million or so in the pocket of a young, poverty stricken, impulsive kid, it isn't going to be easy to keep him from acting out.

I truly hope that he straightens himself out because again, he seems like a nice guy and when he is focused, he is an excellent player.

Agreed. Not only all this, IMO he has had no true leadership / role model on any of these Bills teams to lean on & take him under their wing. If the Bills cut him and he ends up on say the Pats or Steelers, we'll all see just how good he is. Edited by Rico

well, when your coach wants you (a DT) to drop back in coverage every so often... is it any wonder he had only 5.5 sacks?

The above is 100% true. Additionally, there were many plays where Dareus stood there jumping around and waving his hands in lieu of penetrating. Rex absolutely destroyed a very good defense, and then brought in his brother to make it worse yet.

...of course it did....only problem is when a guy cashes on a mammoth contract, does he keep it in DRIVE for the love or the game or slap it in NEUTRAL because his wallet is overstuffed?.....perhaps the "Haynesworth Effect"?......

perhaps not. I'm not on the he's just going to slap it in neutral train. I believe under a new staff/system (back to 4 3) he will dominate and make all the naysayers either happy he did or mad because they were wrong...?

this.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Agreed. Not only all this, IMO he has had no true leadership / role model on any of these Bills teams to lean on & take him under their wing.

Exactly! Rico, the Bills have not had a winning culture in years. Rex came in and made it that much worse.

Last year the Bills were harder for me to watch than any team since the 4-12 Van Pelt Bills. The 2016 team had triple the talent of those guys, but on defense they were either standing around waving, jumping off sides or both.

Man I hope the new regime has an aggressive mentality. Remember Rex was going to make this team a "bully?" Buffalo is a blue collar, cold weather town with a tough fan base. They need to play tough football. Last year Dareus looked like he was playing hop scotch.

He added that with the high cost of Watkins (losing a #1) when they (we) could have had Beckham staying at our spot

Can you imagine what a trainwreck Beckham would be in Buffalo? He would go insane on day 1 and demand a trade to a big city on day 2.

Exactly! Rico, the Bills have not had a winning culture in years. Rex came in and made it that much worse.

Last year the Bills were harder for me to watch than any team since the 4-12 Van Pelt Bills. The 2016 team had triple the talent of those guys, but on defense they were either standing around waving, jumping off sides or both.

Man I hope the new regime has an aggressive mentality. Remember Rex was going to make this team a "bully?" Buffalo is a blue collar, cold weather town with a tough fan base. They need to play tough football. Last year Dareus looked like he was playing hop scotch.

Besides his personal problems. Dareus was critical in what Rex wanted him to do.

Can you imagine what a trainwreck Beckham would be in Buffalo? He would go insane on day 1 and demand a trade to a big city on day 2.

Absolutely!!!

As you said, you didn't hear the interview but yes, Dareus was in the pros, with much more freedom. You see, Saban could have tossed him off the team and not lost his job. Darreus HAD to toe the line to an extent for this reason, along with the fact that getting drafted lower would have cost him millions of dollars.

And "failed miserably?" Coach Saban wanted the team to sign Drew Brees. Instead, they signed Dante Culpepper. He would have won a superbowl with Brees at some point. But don't let that stop you from being a hater. ;) I know you wish that your favorite team has a coach that was even almost as good as Saban.

Whatever. True believers will believe anything. Some people still make excuses for Joe Paterno, too.

Whatever. True believers will believe anything. Some people still make excuses for Joe Paterno, too.

You think that Saban did things that compared to harboring a pedophile rapist?

He must beat your team pretty badly for you to be this traumatized!!!

Marcell DEAD MONEY:

2017 - $38.3 mil

2018 - $22.2 mil

2019 - $7.8 mil

2020 - $1.4 mil

Dareus QUIT on his teamies.... like Mario.....just in a different way. drug suspension, out of shape....

i'd say it's about 75% likely he gets suspended again.

Most of that dead money is dead because it's guaranteed, not because it's the unamortized remains of his signing bonus.

If they traded him or waived him and someone picked up the contract, it wouldn't cost us nearly that much in dead money. But whether we would be able to do that is questionable. Maybe, maybe not.

And yeah, he has established a pattern and patterns are hard to break. Hope he manages it.

Yup. Let me close my eyes and imagine it.

Unh hunh. Unfortunately, what's coming up is multiple Pro Bowls and a Hall of Fame career.

Beckham's a jackass, but a good teammate.

Edited by Thurman#1

Yup. Let me close my eyes and imagine it.

Unh hunh. Unfortunately, what's coming up is multiple Pro Bowls and a Hall of Fame career.

Beckham's a jackass, but a good teammate.

Oh yeah, I can just picture all of those TDs with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton at the helm.

My guess is we would love him and think he is great, but I don't think he would be the spectacle that he has turned into at this point. On the flip side, there may be more drama with him than Sammy has dished out about getting him the ball, and us getting a legit QB.

Edited by What a Tuel

I just hope this new "all star" front office doesn't build a team full of Chris Kelsey's. At some point actual talent is needed, not just a bunch of "lunch pail"/"high motor" slow lighter skinned guys.

I look at the DL in Carolina that is stacked with talent, I don't see any Chris Kelsay's.

I look at the DL in Carolina that is stacked with talent, I don't see any Chris Kelsay's.

Dont you know every talented player must have some kind of character or drug issue and every strong character try-hard has a lack of talent? ;) There can't be any in-between. Edited by YoloinOhio