No sure fire Franchise QB's in 18' draft class

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've seen as close to sure fired as you can get with guys like Leaf and Russell. We've seen more than unlikely guys from late rounds succeed despite their apparent "limitations."

IF there was a formula we wouldn't be here, in this mess, nor would a handful of other teamsm

Thank you Buckey Brooks! It is past time someone in the media tell the truth.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000809136/article/darnold-rosen-allen-no-surefire-franchise-qbs-in-next-wave

This article is 100% spot on. I remember leading up to the draft, and after, Phil Savage, "The Godfather" Gil Brandt etal were saying it is folly to wait until next year for your QB And its folly to say "next years class is better".

Every year after the draft fans are clamoring for this or that QB and then come a few weeks for the draft, they have fallen, EVERY year this happens. I am also sick of saying a 5th rounder can't be a franchise QB then someone throws out a bunch of bull **** stats. Stats can be found and modified in any way you want.

I for one don't care about the 18' draft or any QB in it right now (although I have a good feeling about one myself). I want the 2017 NFL season to play out and see what this Bills team, under this staff has. Then after its all over, THEN start thinking if we need a QB, RB, LB or whatever.

That's what fans should do, maybe but since the draft has become so popular, looking at what we need and how to fill it in the draft is even more common than ever and actually reasonable.

But yeah, every draft season the next year's guys are absolutely terrific. Saw a bunch of early articles before last season predicting Kaaya and Watson going one-two in this draft. Next year's guys are always over-rated as they haven't gone through the pre-draft hurricane of attention and evaluation. No doubt whatsoever we will hear the same thing this year, that the 2019 guys put the 2018 guys to shame.

The point of my post was to identify sure fire guys. And there has been only Andrew Luck. Some might add RG3, Winston(although he was not treated as sure fire by talking heads), and Mariotta (who also was questioned by pundits).

So let's focus on the original point. There are very few sure fire guys and if you want one you need the 1st pick or 2nd pick in the draft.

Yes, Rosen will be a fun scouting journey! The Rosen One..

Yeah, Luck and Peyton are about it as far as sure-fire. That's what makes it tough on the scouts.

I don't buy into the whole "next year's class will be better" stuff, especially this early. Guys can go back to school. Others can have down years or get injured. Then what was once supposed to be a great class is now average or mediocre.

Then there is the possibility that teams worse than us will pick QBs before we get a chance to. I don't think just because we have an extra first round pick that we're a lock to trade up. You need a team that doesn't need a QB to be bad enough and want to trade down.

So many variables to even pretend like next year is finally the year we get our guy.

Your joking right ? having 2 first round picks puts us in a great situation even if they're both outside of the top 10 ,

And having 3 good QB prospects coming out next year gives us a better chance of getting one ,

And BTW everything is for sale if someone is willing to pay

Well, there were no sure fire franchise QBs during this year's draft and two were taken in the first round that weren't even being talked about at this time last year.

Your joking right ? having 2 first round picks puts us in a great situation even if they're both outside of the top 10 ,

And having 3 good QB prospects coming out next year gives us a better chance of getting one ,

And BTW everything is for sale if someone is willing to pay

No, I'm not joking. Why would a team that desperately needs a QB like us trade their pick if there is a good QB available?

if the new regime whiffs on QB they will be shown the door like DW. If you fail at judging talent at the most important position you are not a football man. Taking late round flyers on guys like Pop Gun Peterman won't get it done either. The Kurt Warners, Tony Romos and Tom Bradys of this world come around once a millenium.

if the new regime whiffs on QB they will be shown the door like DW. If you fail at judging talent at the most important position you are not a football man. Taking late round flyers on guys like Pop Gun Peterman won't get it done either. The Kurt Warners, Tony Romos and Tom Bradys of this world come around once a millenium.

So three guys came along in around 10 years as you state, but they only come around once in a millennium. Great math there.

The only one that jumps off paper to me is Baker Mayfield. 2x Heisman trophy finalist for a reason. This will be his THIRD season as a starter. He gets the sooners back to the Playoffs again and is a HT Finalist again, how can he not be considered?

Oh yeah, he isn't 6'4" of 6'5" like the others which is pure BS. Spread, Air Raid offense, yeah just like the other guys so that excuse is BS.

Bottom line Bucky, is right, we need to wait until Feb next year before truly trying to evaluate the 18' QB class.

Did you read the whole article? We have our guy to start the season on this roster, nothing more. Hell, if he busts his ass, Peterman could unseat Taylor between now and starting day, stuff happens.

We have our 2017 starting day starter on this roster right now. Long term starter, even he says he doesn't know, our GM said he doesn't' know.

Totally agree with you. Why is baker Mayfield not being considered with the other QB's? He has had an awesome career and while he is a little on the small side, he's the same size as Perryman, so what's the problem. Personally, I think he has all of the tools to be a starting QB and has been the best QB in college over the past two years. Would love to see the Bills draft him....

Totally agree with you. Why is baker Mayfield not being considered with the other QB's? He has had an awesome career and while he is a little on the small side, he's the same size as Perryman, so what's the problem. Personally, I think he has all of the tools to be a starting QB and has been the best QB in college over the past two years. Would love to see the Bills draft him....

He is. At this point there are like 12-15 getting potential 1st round hype so he may not show up on everyone's top 5 or 7 or whatever, but he's definitely on the radar for most.

Maybe our new front office person from KC can bring Mahommes with him!

You can dream....right?

The only way you can get a high end QB prospect like Mahomes is through the draft. Maybe the KC guy can help us next year, let's hope.

Matt Ryan was absolutely not a sure thing.

He was the 3rd pick in the draft, from a pro-style offense that had BC ranked in the top 2 in the country at one point. He was a pretty safe bet.

Agreed. He was an under 60% passer who threw a lot of INTs. I don't even think people killed the Fins as much as they should have for taking an OT instead of him. Thank God they were dumb!

I remember seeing a few Falcons at the draft that year, and they jeered the pick of Matt Ryan.