No sure fire Franchise QB's in 18' draft class

Thank you Buckey Brooks! It is past time someone in the media tell the truth.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000809136/article/darnold-rosen-allen-no-surefire-franchise-qbs-in-next-wave

This article is 100% spot on. I remember leading up to the draft, and after, Phil Savage, "The Godfather" Gil Brandt etal were saying it is folly to wait until next year for your QB And its folly to say "next years class is better".

Every year after the draft fans are clamoring for this or that QB and then come a few weeks for the draft, they have fallen, EVERY year this happens. I am also sick of saying a 5th rounder can't be a franchise QB then someone throws out a bunch of bull **** stats. Stats can be found and modified in any way you want.

I for one don't care about the 18' draft or any QB in it right now (although I have a good feeling about one myself). I want the 2017 NFL season to play out and see what this Bills team, under this staff has. Then after its all over, THEN start thinking if we need a QB, RB, LB or whatever.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next year's prospects look like more talented passers.

Even Jackson, who's not a good passer, is still an electrifying playmaker.

No one in the 2017 class jumped off the paper to me. I think Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson/etc would rank behind the top 3 2018 guys. Maybe Tru or Mahomes would be #3. From what I've seen, Allen and Darnold are better, for sure.

I don't buy into the whole "next year's class will be better" stuff, especially this early. Guys can go back to school. Others can have down years or get injured. Then what was once supposed to be a great class is now average or mediocre.

Then there is the possibility that teams worse than us will pick QBs before we get a chance to. I don't think just because we have an extra first round pick that we're a lock to trade up. You need a team that doesn't need a QB to be bad enough and want to trade down.

So many variables to even pretend like next year is finally the year we get our guy.

I don't buy into the whole "next year's class will be better" stuff, especially this early. Guys can go back to school. Others can have down years or get injured. Then what was once supposed to be a great class is now average or mediocre.

Then there is the possibility that teams worse than us will pick QBs before we get a chance to. I don't think just because we have an extra first round pick that we're a lock to trade up. You need a team that doesn't need a QB to be bad enough and want to trade down.

So many variables to even pretend like next year is finally the year we get our guy.

I read comments from the new HC that we already have our guy. Draft class of QB's in 2018 irrelevant.

Next year's prospects look like more talented passers.

Even Jackson, who's not a good passer, is still an electrifying playmaker.

No one in the 2017 class jumped off the paper to me. I think Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson/etc would rank behind the top 3 2018 guys. Maybe Tru or Mahomes would be #3. From what I've seen, Allen and Darnold are better, for sure.

The only one that jumps off paper to me is Baker Mayfield. 2x Heisman trophy finalist for a reason. This will be his THIRD season as a starter. He gets the sooners back to the Playoffs again and is a HT Finalist again, how can he not be considered?

Oh yeah, he isn't 6'4" of 6'5" like the others which is pure BS. Spread, Air Raid offense, yeah just like the other guys so that excuse is BS.

Bottom line Bucky, is right, we need to wait until Feb next year before truly trying to evaluate the 18' QB class.

I read comments from the new HC that we already have our guy. Draft class of QB's in 2018 irrelevant.

Did you read the whole article? We have our guy to start the season on this roster, nothing more. Hell, if he busts his ass, Peterman could unseat Taylor between now and starting day, stuff happens.

We have our 2017 starting day starter on this roster right now. Long term starter, even he says he doesn't know, our GM said he doesn't' know.

The only one that jumps off paper to me is Baker Mayfield. 2x Heisman trophy finalist for a reason. This will be his THIRD season as a starter. He gets the sooners back to the Playoffs again and is a HT Finalist again, how can he not be considered?

Oh yeah, he isn't 6'4" of 6'5" like the others which is pure BS. Spread, Air Raid offense, yeah just like the other guys so that excuse is BS.

Bottom line Bucky, is right, we need to wait until Feb next year before truly trying to evaluate the 18' QB class.

Of course, you have to evaluate next year. This doesn't mean you can't make projections. For instance, everyone knew that Andrew Luck was better than the class before him. You can evaluate a sophomore or junior and determine if he's already looking like a better prospect than those in the current crop.

Common sense.

Of course, you have to evaluate next year. This doesn't mean you can't make projections. For instance, everyone knew that Andrew Luck was better than the class before him. You can evaluate a sophomore or junior and determine if he's already looking like a better prospect than those in the current crop.

Common sense.

Who has been to, and won more superbowls Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson? Luck can put up some stats, but I don't see a guy who has taken the Colts on his back and willed them to win. But yes I get your point and somewhat agree.

I know that there are some that wont want to hear this....but I think this was more about seeing what they have in Tyrod Taylor in the new system and then figuring out if they needed to go all in on a young signal caller

And THAT was why we didnt take Mahommes or Kizer

You know he COULD actually have a better year then 2016....he has familiarity with OC......he has a new fresh set of pass catchers......they drafted Dawkins pretty high they probably want him to unseat Mills

Its an evaluation year

Who has been to, and won more superbowls Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson? Luck can put up some stats, but I don't see a guy who has taken the Colts on his back and willed them to win. But yes I get your point and somewhat agree.

The Seahawks have been successful because of their defense first and foremost. Not a great example.

There weren't any "sure fire" QBs this year, but three teams moved up into the top 12, all expending big currency, to draft their guys. Pokes a pretty big hole in the "weak QB class" argument we heard all offseason, don't you think?

Every year someone hypes up next's years class, and it always seems to fall short.

How in the world did someone from WYOMING become a #1 overall candidate? Geezus.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Every draft has different strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure why people try to debate that? This year was strong with DBs and weak at OL. QBs work the same way. Next year's class looks so strong to the majority of evaluators because of the depth. Some will rise and some will fall but we are talking a candidate pool of like 12 guys instead of 5. Obviously things can change but at this point last year we weren't talking about 12 guys potentially battling to be 1st rounders. It was Watson, Kaaya, Leidner and a few others. The names may change but there are just so many more in the pool next year (like DBs in 2017).

Next year looks to be a good RB draft to me too. There's 3-4 guys that will probably go in round 1.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Russell Wilson was great and all but the defense strapped him on their back. Give Luck the Seattle D and I'd think may have won a SB as well

Common sense.

I don't disagree. But, Locker was better than everyone the next year too. But, that ended poorly.

Common sense.

I don't disagree. But, Locker was better than everyone the next year too. But, that ended poorly.

Long way and lots of games to play between now and next draft. The last 'sure fire' qb was who? Andrew Luck? That was 5 years ago.

Agreed

It's the same thing every year. Next year's qb class will be better! Yosemite Sam played 10 games. Rosen has struggled to stay healthy and hasn't really improved since his freshman season. Allen has a lot to prove outside of the Mountain West. Lamar Jackson has a lot of work to do as a passer.

I'm not saying any of these guys won't be good but so much groupthink happens when people talk about qbs. Personally, it won't shock me if Watson or Mahomes are the best qbs to enter to enter the NFL in recent years. I hope the Bills are right because they need to finally find a true guy to carry this franchise. This wait until next year mentality has killed this franchise.

P.S. Bucky is a much better analyst than he was a football player. He's really good at his job,

I read the title and skipped ahead. There is NEVER a sure fired anything. The draft is a crap shoot. Sometimes your odds are better than others. Go with the odds. Let it play out for a year, but I'm guessing QB options are better than usual in the next draft.