Bills have Air Force WR Jalen Robinette at rookie camp

I have to say, as much as I'd like to see this guy in a Bills uniform this fall, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. When he signed up for his free ride to the Air Force Academy (a great school, by the way), he knew he was signing up for a (minimum) two-year service commitment after graduation. Now he wants to be let out of that commitment because he's got better things to do with his time. What about the AFA grad who gets an awesome offer to go work for Goldman Sachs after graduation? Does they let him out of his commitment? What about a female AFA grad who wants to try out for the Olympics? Do they let her out? Doesn't seem right to me...

There is a way for both sides to get what they want. Deferment for the athletes and a value position for the Goldman Sach's person.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what Joe B had to say about him...but yeah, it was only Day 1.

It's hard to miss Robinette (6-foot-3, 220-pounds), but he really struggled with his separation from defenders for most of the practice. He did have one rep that he effectively froze cornerback Justin Jemison in place on a double move during one-on-ones, but most times, the defender was attached to his hip

Hmmmm,

Good question. I also wondered about this. And if he went to the military could be keep his rights without it being against the cap? I'll defer to Yolo on this. Seems like it's more his bag than mine.

i don't know either but just pulled this from the article linked in the OP. It looks like the answer is yes.

All athletes are now required to serve a minimum 24 months of active duty before applying for early release or excess leave, just as Air Force grad and current Atlanta Falcons lineman Ben Garland did. Garland was signed by the Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 2010 and was placed on the teams reserve/military list while he fulfilled his active-duty commitment. The Broncos retained his rights through that time and, when he was able to return to the team in 2012, he was added to the practice squad.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is kind of like getting a free day 3 pick as he was projected 4th rnd >>>>

I hope they let him play football,it is the American thing to do after all the Bills do wear Red,White and Blue.

I have to say, as much as I'd like to see this guy in a Bills uniform this fall, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. When he signed up for his free ride to the Air Force Academy (a great school, by the way), he knew he was signing up for a (minimum) two-year service commitment after graduation. Now he wants to be let out of that commitment because he's got better things to do with his time. What about the AFA grad who gets an awesome offer to go work for Goldman Sachs after graduation? Does they let him out of his commitment? What about a female AFA grad who wants to try out for the Olympics? Do they let her out? Doesn't seem right to me...

Life isn't fair.

Yes like the IRS. All of that schooling should be treated as income and not be able to be waived away saying he had no other income. Is he talking about paying back? No.

Didn't the Bills have another player back in the 90's, early 2000's that was in a similar situation?

Not sure I'm accurate, but I thought there was a kid that played for us, but had to leave at times to serve.

Maybe Bryce Fisher?

He joined the Bills in 2001 after fulfilling two-year commitment to the Air Force.

this is true. they can always serve after their pro career as well. and think of the great PR the armed forces would get having so and so ex-nfl player in their ranks

Serve after there pro career? So lets say he retires from NFL at 32... you think his body is going to be in any shape to serve the military ? are you for real? 8-10 year at any position does things to your body that takes years to recover after your career with NFL is over.. pretty sure it doesn't work out that way..

He has a military commitment that must be honored. One of the best educations in the world comes with a price and both he and his agent know this.

Plus one. The military is not going to allow a guy to immediately go pro and then satisfy his commitment once his football career is over. What they'd likely be getting is someone who may be brain damaged, physically compromised, or not familiar with current technology or tactics - or all of the above.

Serve after there pro career? So lets say he retires from NFL at 32... you think his body is going to be in any shape to serve the military ? are you for real? 8-10 year at any position does things to your body that takes years to recover after your career with NFL is over.. pretty sure it doesn't work out that way..

Avg NFL career is 3 years. And there's plenty of guys who serve even in their 40's. You think an NFL caliber athlete can't keep up with your everyday kind of guys?

It used to be 4 years if I am not mistaken, I think Staubach server 4 years before coming into the league.

Correct. Not sure when it changed. Anyone remember whether David Robinson served before he went to the NBA?