RD 2, Pick 63: Dion Dawkins (OT) - TEM

SDS

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what happens when you draft for need and it's a weak class for the position you need.

That said - I think you're too down on the player.

I could be, but the whole Penn State game is on youtube and it is a disaster. A lot of guys I respect all say the same thing about him. Too many times in the past the Bills don't go with the common thought and get burned. They are not the smartest in the room, that is obvious.

So the Bills came in, managed to draft 3 starters in the first 2 rounds, and got a 1st for next year. I'm finding it really hard to hate that.

That of course all3 show up ready to start.

The first two seem like safe bets, this one at RT will be a fun battle probably

It'll be nice to see how good this O-line can be without a gaping hole at RT.

Like the pick, don't love giving up 2 extra picks to move up. If he turns out to be another Cordy Glenn (or anything close), I'll quickly forget about the 2 5th rounders we gave up.

Guessing they hope is that he will be capable of playing RT and he will compete there first. Moving him to backup OG to eventually replace Incognito is the secondary option if he can't. That's either great or good value in the 3rd round if he can do either.

It'll be nice to see how good this O-line can be without a gaping hole at RT.

Like the pick, don't love giving up 2 extra picks to move up. If he turns out to be another Cordy Glenn (or anything close), I'll quickly forget about the 2 5th rounders we gave up.

they came into the draft with 7 picks and will leave with 7, one turned into a 1st next year. They so far have 3 players in the first 2 rounds, which they needed more than mid-late rounders this year. Next year might be different, but they are changing over schemes on both sides of the ball so need starters who fit that. Other teams might be able to just stock a roster of depth late, maybe that will be the Bills in the future. Edited by YoloinOhio

From nfl.com: (looks a lot like what they said about Cordy)

BOTTOM LINE

Quality tackle who operates with good balance and solid technique. Shows some good initial quickness and a smooth kick-slide out of his stance, but might be better in short areas as a guard rather than in open space as a tackle. He's athletic enough to operate in space, but power appears to be his calling card. His wide-hand approach in pass protection could be a difficult habit to break, but he has the natural power to withstand bull rush that might come with that. Dawkins is a well-schooled, three-year starter who has chance to transition into an early starter.

He's got 35" arms, and apparently can move. In the cone drill, he was second among OL, a hundredth of a second behind G.Bolles. "but power seems to be his calling card" ?

I put him at RT and say "show us you belong there".

5.11 40

26 BP Reps

26” Vertical

106” LJ

7.30 Cone Drill

4.78 Shuttle

~Stevie

Edited by Andre Speed

LEROI, What happened ? : )

He was locked out of war room. They decided they needed no towels.

He played 40 of 44 games which follows the pattern they have been using - no one year flashes in pan.

It's pretty hilarious but man, couldn't the team that we're screwing over at least be in the conference? I kind of like Carolina.

Ir will hard to make trades with Carolina if we keep jumping ahead of them in draft.

But, but, but, Kiper says he's a Guard. :rolleyes:

They are all guards, they guard the QB.

That of course all3 show up ready to start.

The first two seem like safe bets, this one at RT will be a fun battle probably

College record starting for all three is encouraging.

If Dawkins simply puts in the TC effort and is a wiling learner, he wont face much competition. Sure there will be learning pains (more for TT than anyone else) but we have already seen what we have from the incumbents.

It's been a long couple of days so I might have Dawkins confused with another player, but I think the commentators were talking about him being fairly new to the Oline, that he'd been a D player until a couple of years ago. I believe they also said he's played left and right tackle and some guard. Sound like he'll b pushing both Seantrel and Kujo as well as Mills.

He used to be a DT.

So we targeted Dawkins...must have if we used 2 5th rounders to move up to get a guy who admittedly needs coaching to even make the team. He has little O line experience. He is not a Miller.

Whaley should be fired for this.

Unless it was McD's decision in which case he should be made GM, correct?

Good: McD

Bad: Whaley

P.S. I think everyone in Western New York should be fired when they make a decision others degree with so NYS can brag about job mobility!

I think the Bills will use an overloaded line this year a lot using Mills (yes I think he makes roster), Groy and Kouandjio (if he is healthy) as extra heavies.

This is where you win games. We still have a weak link or 2 on the line.

This guy will start, and bring some much needed attitude to that unit.

3 starters from this draft, with Ragland coming back and Lawson being able to play a full season. Color me stoked.

never heard of him but im betting its a pretty solid pick considering we need a right tackle. im excited that it looks like we picked 3 day 1 starters this year. hoping we sign the tight end cleveland cut yesterday and maybe trade our 2 5ths to move up and get a linebacker that could start for us

College record starting for all three is encouraging.

If Dawkins simply puts in the TC effort and is a wiling learner, he wont face much competition. Sure there will be learning pains (more for TT than anyone else) but we have already seen what we have from the incumbents.

The general feel around the NFL now is that it takes OL about 3 years to develop an offensive lineman due to the reduced amount of practice/development time.

We saw that with Kujo.

He worked his assoff in the offseasons but it took until year 3 before he started to look like a +OL.

Henderson also had to struggle mightily for a couple years even before his crohns became an issue.

Even as bad as he played last year......I will be surprised if Dawkins can outplay Mills in camp/preseason.

I think the hope for RT is still improvement from Mills or Henderson/Kujo significantly elevating their performance in their walk years.

Edited by #BADOL

I saw his name before the draft and watched what little I could of him on you tube.

He looked like a Guard to me, but this is not a bad thing at all. I love the fact that he played LT in college as did Andy Levitre, who played very well until he left the Bills.

I like this pick a lot; it makes perfect sense.

I saw his name before the draft and watched what little I could of him on you tube.

He looked like a Guard to me, but this is not a bad thing at all. I love the fact that he played LT in college as did Andy Levitre, who played very well until he left the Bills.

I like this pick a lot; it makes perfect sense.

Yeah I see him likely failing at RT at least initially, but maybe replacing Incognito in 2018.