RD 2, Pick 63: Dion Dawkins (OT) - TEM

SDS

Yes, I can believe he can be effective against the bull rush, but they do say, as others do, that he is susceptible to good edge rushers. He would get more of that on the left side but he would see it on the right as well, especially if he has difficulty adjusting to nfl edge rushers. I think thats probably why some see him as interior O-line, as did the coaches at the senior bowl.

He is also a young OT. Converted DL player.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some distinct advantage I think for a guy like McDermott to come in and spend literally months watching tape of his new players. He didn't draft them, doesn't know them, has no allegiance or affinity or unwarranted affection or distaste for them from earlier experience. Knows what he wants in his new system and just seriously evaluates them by watching every play over and over. We had several positions of need and we seem to have got three starters.

I was not a fan of the trade. I think you win with stars and I wanted Howard, who could immediately upgrade the offense in several ways and a good chance to be a star. But I'm warming to it the way it played out. Jones was my want in two. Mills stinks so we should be upgraded at RT. We still badly need a LB.

He is also a young OT. Converted DL player.

Yes. With the emphasis on young. NFL quality edge rushers are to young tackles what a major league curve ball is to AAA prospects looking to make the big team in spring training.

Look, I like the pick a lot. I think he is a really good prospect and has a chance to play a long time in the league. He is a very good athlete and so we shouldnt be surprised if he learns how to protect the passer. That is certainly not something we will ever see from Mills.

Yes. With the emphasis on young. NFL quality edge rushers are to young tackles what a major league curve ball is to AAA prospects looking to make the big team in spring training.

Look, I like the pick a lot. I think he is a really good prospect and has a chance to play a long time in the league. He is a very good athlete and so we shouldnt be surprised if he learns how to protect the passer. That is certainly not something we will ever see from Mills.

The NFL is such a unique beast. A guy like Dawkins needs to have elite tools, drafted into a good situation, given very good coaching, surrounded by players doing their jobs, play in a system that either plays to your strengths or disguises your weaknesses, have a great attitude, and a bunch of luck.

They obviously wanted this guy rather than he fell to them. We'll see how many of those things work out well.

Really glad they got this one over the line. Spoke to Dion a few times since the Senior Bowl and I've been selling the Bills to him like a man possessed. Talking **** about Jordan Mills is my favourite pasttime anyway :D

One of my favourite players in the class and a ton of teams did want to kick him inside. Dude will be starting at RT before Week 17, I guarantee it. Fantastic pick.

Athletically, he's strong in key areas. Elite level 3-cone, above-average broad and 40 - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dion-dawkins?position=OT

Edited by Blokestradamus

Really glad they got this one over the line. Spoke to Dion a few times since the Senior Bowl and I've been selling the Bills to him like a man possessed. Talking **** about Jordan Mills is my favourite pasttime anyway :D

One of my favourite players in the class and a ton of teams did want to kick him inside. Dude will be starting at RT before Week 17, I guarantee it. Fantastic pick.

Athletically, he's strong in key areas. Elite level 3-cone, above-average broad and 40 - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dion-dawkins?position=OT

Yea but he doesn't know the difference between a head stand and a handstand!! Kick him into guard!

https://mobile.twitter.com/DDawkins66/status/849798559855718400

Edited by LEBills

Yea but he doesn't know the difference between a head stand and a handstand!! Kick him into guard!

https://mobile.twitter.com/DDawkins66/status/849798559855718400

I hadn't seen that before. I may give him some **** for that :D

I'm glad his past indiscretion didn't count against him. He's a good dude, fans will love him soon enough.

This is a very measured and accurate response. I'm not sold on whether dawkins can continue at RT either, although the arm length is a plus. Worst case is he is very strong depth at guard with incognito aging.

I get the fits being thrown around tonight after the trade ups. It looked like we were finally hopping on that patriot train of amassing picks by trading down. It turned into a straight 'need' draft, without losing any more picks than we came into this year (counting the '18 1st). I've got no problem with a need draft; hopefully these early round picks work out.

So a college OT that projected more as a guard to some analysts? I don't know man. Hopefully he can succeed at RT. Might be like a Cordy Glenn situation. Not a bad player though, hope he'll be worth the trade.

Richie ain't getting any younger. He can play there down the line if need be.

It's been a long couple of days so I might have Dawkins confused with another player, but I think the commentators were talking about him being fairly new to the Oline, that he'd been a D player until a couple of years ago. I believe they also said he's played left and right tackle and some guard. Sound like he'll b pushing both Seantrel and Kujo as well as Mills.

It's been a long couple of days so I might have Dawkins confused with another player, but I think the commentators were talking about him being fairly new to the Oline, that he'd been a D player until a couple of years ago. I believe they also said he's played left and right tackle and some guard. Sound like he'll b pushing both Seantrel and Kujo as well as Mills.

He was a DL but I believe he played the last three years at LT. Because of his skills, a lot of scouts project him to have the best chance at G in the NFL, but like Cordy Glenn, some evaluators think he can play both, and he will fit certain schemes as a RT, which is what the Bills want him for.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I will take this over the Dick Jauron era, "do nothing but reach and draft 4th rounders in the 1st and 2nd" any day. Who knows how this will work out, but Buffalo fills three needs with three picks in the first two rounds and has an extra first next year. There are still three picks for tomorrow. Keep in mind that they had only six picks to work with a month ago. I like what they are trying to do.

+1

So we targeted Dawkins...must have if we used 2 5th rounders to move up to get a guy who admittedly needs coaching to even make the team. He has little O line experience. He is not a Miller.

Whaley should be fired for this.

Still got two picks.

Never has a 4th.

So used a 3rd and 5th to come get thier RT (wouldnt have made it to Thier pick. Was going next to Car)

Used 3rd to get their No 2 WR. A top producing WR.

That is good use of 5th rounds when you have 4 of them

Major, yes indeed those are picks well spent!

Some people are unable to see the value of spending multiple picks to get to a critical player. They pine for the player that traded pick could have become!

Those extra picks should definitely be used as ammo when you need to target a particular player.

I love what the Bills draft team are doing so far. I had not heard of Dawkins, because he was listed as a guard. Then to read his story was great. Here is the RT we have been dreaming about.

Well, a 1st and two 2nds with a 2018 1st in your back pocket is not too bad. I was disappointed that 2 picks were given back and overreacted (i was buzzed), but like many have said if those were the right guys they wanted and got, then that was the price. Positive vibration to the Bills Nation.

In my mind the Bills came in with the following needs.

CB 2

Nickel CB

WR 2

WR 3

OLB

RT

Safety

The Bills first three picks are looking to fill needs at RT, CB2, and WR2. Not only did the Bills get those three positions of need but they also added an extra 1st round pick next year. Even though they only have a handful of picks remaining I think the team in terms of philsophy, player value relative to perception, and setting themselves up for the future did a great job in this draft.

They got 3 players at fairly good value in 3 positions of significant need all while pocketing a future 1st round pick. Now who knows how these three players will actually play and how much they can and will contribute for this upcoming season. But it is clear that the people doing the drafting know where the weaknesses on the roster are and brought in players to sure up those weaknesses while not really reaching.

In my mind the Bills came in with the following needs.

CB 2

Nickel CB

WR 2

WR 3

OLB

RT

Safety

The Bills first three picks are looking to fill needs at RT, CB2, and WR2. Not only did the Bills get those three positions of need but they also added an extra 1st round pick next year. Even though they only have a handful of picks remaining I think the team in terms of philsophy, player value relative to perception, and setting themselves up for the future did a great job in this draft.

They got 3 players at fairly good value in 3 positions of significant need all while pocketing a future 1st round pick. Now who knows how these three players will actually play and how much they can and will contribute for this upcoming season. But it is clear that the people doing the drafting know where the weaknesses on the roster are and brought in players to sure up those weaknesses while not really reaching.

Linebacker???