RD 2, Pick 63: Dion Dawkins (OT) - TEM

SDS

I can add to my signature ...we used a 1,1,2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, and a 5 to draft Watkins, Ragland and Dawkins. Thats 9 picks on 3 guys and none of those picks are 6ths or 7ths. Thats more than a entire regular draft of 7 picks, again on 3 guys. Let that sink in.

It would be great if you and I could simply not notice the above kind of glaring stupidity. Really, it's almost too dumb to be true.

You and I would be happier sports fans if we could simply turn a blind eye to what these idiots have done to our favorite football team. Looking at those numbers, it almost looks as if Whaley was trying to lose football games, and this is without getting into some of those contracts he doled out.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great if you and I could simply not notice the above kind of glaring stupidity. Really, it's almost too dumb to be true.

You and I would be happier sports fans if we could simply turn a blind eye to what these idiots have done to our favorite football team. Looking at those numbers, it almost looks as if Whaley was trying to lose football games, and this is without getting into some of those contracts he doled out.

That's pretty unfair of you.

It is very clear that Whaley had little to do with Dawkins.

Rex may be the only guy on the planet that thinks Ragland fits in the NFL and he got his way. He also forced the injured Shaq and probably future career stumblebum Washington.

So blame Whaley for Sammy if you'd like but lay off on the rest.

When Sammy makes a play that no other receiver we have had since Moulds, and maybe before, could dream of making, do you get happy or angry?

Why doesn't he look like a fit at RT? I've only seen a couple videos, but he doesn't look too short to me standing 6'4. Not every tackle has to be 6'7.

I'm sure there are 6'4 RT's out there that have worked out, just to get that out the way.I first thought that 6'4 seemed too short for RT so I decided to look at him and he doesn't look that dominant a player. I'm banking on the staff knowing a little more than I do about Dawkins' strengths, but he looks short at T and not very imposing against college players. Doesn't look that powerful and his 35" arms didn't seem to keep rushers from getting into his body quickly.

What happens when he faces superior NFL pass rushers?

Kouandjio has ideal size and strength. Small sample, not a popular opinion, but Kuoandjio pass protection wise looked like the more dominant LT between he and Glenn when he got starts at LT. Wasn't glued on him in the run game so I don't know how he fares there, but his strength and pass-blocking at LT really stood out.

Unfortunately he didn't play well at RT.

Edited by BurpleBull

That'll work. An interchangeable lineman that can flatten people and play both RT and G. Let's just hope that unlike the last few top draft picks he can stay healthy

Edited by BmarvB

Kouandjio has ideal size and strength. Small sample, not a popular opinion, but Kuoandjio pass protection wise looked like the more dominant LT between he and Glenn when he got starts at LT. Wasn't glued on him in the run game so I don't know how he fares there, but his strength and pass-blocking at LT really stood out.

Unfortunately he didn't play well at RT.

You see, Cujo wasn't really THAT strong in college. He played LT because he was agile. In fact, several linemen on his team were stronger than him.

He only threw up 21 reps at the combines which wasn't a whole lot for a man his size. If I am not mistaken, Dawkins had 26. If Cujo really was strong he would have fared well at RT, a position where brute strength is needed.

It may take a little time, but I have a feeling that Dawkins will be a good player for the Bills.

We shall see.

#BillsFanatics Retweeted Aloe

Nice video of Dion Dawkins for those interested

#BillsFanatics added,

Aloe @aloebroccoli

Also, check out the highlight tape I made for offensive lineman, Dion Dawkins, who got drafted to the Bills! https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=Nne6boBTOmE

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the strongest unit on the Bills this year is the O-line, and I'm really liking the Dawkins pick. I'm sure this interview was posted somewhere, but this quote stands out:

You manned the blindside for 40 games at Temple. What are some tactics you may use to get into a pass rusher’s head? Defending the blindside is no easy task.

Dawkins: I like to try and move him off the line throughout the first series of the game, I like to pancake him. That’s how I let him know that I’m the real deal, and that I’m serious about what I’m doing here. Whether the next play is a run or pass, he might try and commit to one or the other if I’m in his head. If he’s not coming at me with his best now, I’ll pancake him again. He knows that now. He’s going to leave the game bruised up either way.

Dawkins makes for a nasty opponent. He plays through the whistle, and is unsatisfied until his assignment hits the ground (left side of your screen wearing #66).

Link

If he wins the starting RT position, this could be the best O-line since the glory days. They will also have great depth with Groy and Lewis backing C/G positions, and Kouandjio, Mills, and Henderson in the T mix. Hope they sign Barnidge as it would solidify the TE position, as it relates to the O-line.

If Shady stays healthy, this is going to be a top 10 offense.