Bills doing homework on 2017 QBs

No pre-draft visit or workout though

He has the most on tape. He has started a lot of games against the highest levels of competition. I imagine the more important element with Watson was getting him on the board and seeing how well he understand plays and concepts.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no scout, but have watched NFL football for 48 years and have followed the draft very closely since the early 80s. I've watched 3 games each on Draftbreakdown.com for Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes. My impressions:

Watson - really athletic with great running and escapability. Has enough arm strength, but not a very accurate passer in my view. High completion percentage is mainly due to throwing a lot of behind the line/screens and Mike Williams making a number of great catches. To me, Mike Williams is a much better NFL prospect than Watson and I could not justify selecting Watson over Williams. I think Watson's inaccuracy will be a killer in the NFL.

Mahomes - Clear that he has a tremendous arm. Makes a lot of short passes and a ton of ill-advised throws that he got away with in college, but would turn into a lot of INTs in the NFL unless he learns much better judgement. I will say that he does seem to see a lot of the field, even when scrambling around. I can understand whey some are very enamored with him, but to me he is a major boom or bust prospect. If he can get his game under control and not take nearly as many chances, he could turn out to be great, but man there is a lot of wildness to clean up.

Trubisky - Makes more NFL type throws than the other two, looks smooth and athletic on the move. Seems to see the field well. Had some oddly bad throws mixed in that were kind of inexplicable compared to his typical accuracy. Really bothers me that he couldn't win the job at UNC until his predecessor graduated and there have been a lot of QBs that look good one year in college and then wilted the next (see Deshone Kizer for one).

I'll be interested to look at some of Kizer's games as well, but of these 3, I don't see Watson as a good NFL prospect, Trubisky is interesting, but scary due to limited sample size and Mahomes is a gamble on greatness.

Again, just my opinion. Others may see things differently.

I am no scout, but have watched NFL football for 48 years and have followed the draft very closely since the early 80s. I've watched 3 games each on Draftbreakdown.com for Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes. My impressions:

Watson - really athletic with great running and escapability. Has enough arm strength, but not a very accurate passer in my view. High completion percentage is mainly due to throwing a lot of behind the line/screens and Mike Williams making a number of great catches. To me, Mike Williams is a much better NFL prospect than Watson and I could not justify selecting Watson over Williams. I think Watson's inaccuracy will be a killer in the NFL.

Mahomes - Clear that he has a tremendous arm. Makes a lot of short passes and a ton of ill-advised throws that he got away with in college, but would turn into a lot of INTs in the NFL unless he learns much better judgement. I will say that he does seem to see a lot of the field, even when scrambling around. I can understand whey some are very enamored with him, but to me he is a major boom or bust prospect. If he can get his game under control and not take nearly as many chances, he could turn out to be great, but man there is a lot of wildness to clean up.

Trubisky - Makes more NFL type throws than the other two, looks smooth and athletic on the move. Seems to see the field well. Had some oddly bad throws mixed in that were kind of inexplicable compared to his typical accuracy. Really bothers me that he couldn't win the job at UNC until his predecessor graduated and there have been a lot of QBs that look good one year in college and then wilted the next (see Deshone Kizer for one).

I'll be interested to look at some of Kizer's games as well, but of these 3, I don't see Watson as a good NFL prospect, Trubisky is interesting, but scary due to limited sample size and Mahomes is a gamble on greatness.

This is one of the better fan analyses I've read. I think I'm less high on Mahommes than many on here. I don't think I have witnessed as effective a crusade on this site than I have regarding Mahommes. But, I mostly agree with everything you've said.

In my opinion.....if they are all gambles they I would much rather take a flier on a joshua dobbs later then use a pick where we could get an immediate starter

This is a good draft to pluck TE, WR, DB and we only have 6 picks

I also found it interesting that someone did a comparison on where C. Jones would fare if he was in with this QB group......and that was 4th best...I found that interesting. maybe what we should do is continue to groom C. Jones.

I have watched every throw from Mahomes and did not see it that way. That's the great thing about the draft.

He makes very good decisions and has a great TD to INT ratio. Considering he made more throws than any of the other prospects, his INT% was 1.6%!

I do see him throw away the ball a lot when there is nothing there. The worst throws I see Mahomes make, and he does make dumb throws, are when he is down more than 10 late in a game and is trying to create. Context matters.

Care to expand?

I think your point was I am wrong on Mahomes. Of course everyone can argue back and forth on prospects and if someone loves a prospect and someone doesn't that's where it ends.

What I do find interesting is that as the Mahomes train was taking off on this board many of the skeptics were saying he was not even the 4th best QB prospect, he should be a 3rd round pick, worst accuracy ever is one I heard yesterday. Yet, as the draft approaches we are starting to find that those talking to NFL teams think a few teams do indeed have Mahomes as the #1 QB on their board. It's not the majority but there are teams that see it that way. So I don't feel as crazy as you say I am. I think my views are closer to the truth than the skeptics.

I kind of feel like, they may like one or two of them. If they are they may consider them, but won't make a rash move to go up and get one. I think Trubisky is the apple of THE QB class around the league.

Howeve, Buffalo has Tyrod, Yates and Cardale under contract, so if they do draft a kid high... do we keep four QBs? Do we run the risk of putting Jones on the practice squad? Do we cut Yates and let the draft pick and Jones battle it out?

I don't think anything should prevent you from drafting a QB if you think he is the guy... I just don't get the sense that we will go that way under McDermott.

The guy has talked about building a long term solution here. To me, I think mcdermott will build a roster and if the QB they want is there go for it, but they want a culture here and are content with Tyrod at the helm as they transition.

....you forgot Woodrum as our sleeper.........

I think your point was I am wrong on Mahomes. Of course everyone can argue back and forth on prospects and if someone loves a prospect and someone doesn't that's where it ends.

What I do find interesting is that as the Mahomes train was taking off on this board many of the skeptics were saying he was not even the 4th best QB prospect, he should be a 3rd round pick, worst accuracy ever is one I heard yesterday. Yet, as the draft approaches we are starting to find that those talking to NFL teams think a few teams do indeed have Mahomes as the #1 QB on their board. It's not the majority but there are teams that see it that way. So I don't feel as crazy as you say I am. I think my views are closer to the truth than the skeptics.

I think you have a clear bias when it comes to Mahomes. It is very clear when you watch him that he has a tendency to force some of his throws and he gets away with passes that he sometimes shouldn't. It's probably why he's considered a gunslinger.

I didn't call you crazy but it's pretty clear how you feel about him which is fine.

I think you have a clear bias when it comes to Mahomes. It is very clear when you watch him that he has a tendency to force some of his throws and he gets away with passes that he sometimes shouldn't. It's probably why he's considered a gunslinger.

I didn't call you crazy but it's pretty clear how you feel about him which is fine.

Yes, but understand you have an opinion as well. I do see him force throws and make dumb throws. Some people like QB's that don't make mistakes. I prefer QB's that try to make plays vs what the Bills have had with EJ and Tyrod who don't throw a lot of picks but hold onto the ball too long and miss wide open guys.

We all judge risk differently. Some see punting as safe. I see it as often stupid.

Edited by jeffismagic

Yes, but understand you have an opinion as well. I do see him force throws and make dumb throws. Some people like QB's that don't make mistakes. I prefer QB's that try to make plays vs what the Bills have had with EJ and Tyrod who don't throw a lot of picks but hold onto the ball too long and miss wide open guys.

EJ was a turnover machine.

EJ was a turnover machine.

He often avoided even more INT's because he was unsure of himself. My point was I would rather have a guy that is confident in the pocket and rein him in vs a guy not sure of himself and then try to get him to throw the ball on time.

Edited by jeffismagic

We all judge risk differently. Some see punting as safe. I see it as often stupid.

I have no issues with QBs forcing some throws trying to make plays. I often wish our QBs did that. It doesn't have to be the kiss of death but it should be something to be aware of.

I have no issues with QBs forcing some throws trying to make plays. I often wish our QBs did that. It doesn't have to be the kiss of death but it should be something to be aware of.

For sure. One person's gunslinger is another person's turnover machine. I don't credit QB's for not throwing INT's if they also don't make plays.

This all sounds about right...and exactly why i hope we don't take a QB before the 2nd round.

He often avoided even more INT's because he was unsure of himself. My point was I would rather have a guy that is confident in the pocket and rein him in vs a guy not sure of himself and then try to get him to throw the ball on time.

I can definitely agree with this...

#Titans, #Bills, #Jets and #49ers among teams in Top 10 of NFL draft who have called around for trade downs.

Very interesting.

If so, none of those teams are that high on a QB. If they were, they wouldn't want to trade down out of their respective spots. They wouldn't want to risk losing their guy.

qbs always rise up draft talk as the draft gets closer

Mahommes has the tools.....isnt ready to start year 1

If looking at every one of these QB's is a smokescreen, it's most likely why were in a 17 year drought to begin with, looking at QB's should never be a smokescreen. I'm really surprised the Bills havent had Brad Kaaya in, I really like him as a guy who can sit and learn for a couple years as I don't think Jones will ever be a viable QB in this league.

If looking at every one of these QB's is a smokescreen, it's most likely why were in a 17 year drought to begin with, looking at QB's should never be a smokescreen. I'm really surprised the Bills havent had Brad Kaaya in, I really like him as a guy who can sit and learn for a couple years as I don't think Jones will ever be a viable QB in this league.

They may take a QB, just not in the first round.

I don't believe I have ever witnessed a crusader as relentless as you on this site. C.Biscuit used to be exceptionally rabid regarding EJ, but you make him look like a slacker.

IMO, and only time will tell, Mahommes is a long shot, and about the third best QB in this rather weak QB draft. But, I have no real certainty in my opinion. In fact, I would not trust a professional scout who exhibited half the certainty in their opinion that you do in yours.

Which is fine, of course. But, if you cut down your pro-Mahommes posts by two thirds, we'd all still get the picture.

All QB options on the table in draft for Bills

qbs-feature-4-23-story.jpg

The Bills aren't ruling anything out with respect to the quarterback position in the 2017 NFL draft.

Who is the top QB in the draft by the numbers? (1:39)
By NFL Network

NFL Network's Cynthia Frelund goes "Next Level" evaluating the top quarterbacks in the upcoming draft by the cold hard numbers.

I don't believe I have ever witnessed a crusader as relentless as you on this site. C.Biscuit used to be exceptionally rabid regarding EJ, but you make him look like a slacker.

IMO, and only time will tell, Mahommes is a long shot, and about the third best QB in this rather weak QB draft. But, I have no real certainty in my opinion. In fact, I would not trust a professional scout who exhibited half the certainty in their opinion that you do in yours.

Which is fine, of course. But, if you cut down your pro-Mahommes posts by two thirds, we'd all still get the picture.

This is a thread where people are discussing the pro and cons of the top QBs a few days before the draft.

Fine, make your case for two QBs the Bills should draft instead.

Very interesting.

If so, none of those teams are that high on a QB. If they were, they wouldn't want to trade down out of their respective spots. They wouldn't want to risk losing their guy.

....interesting...Foxsports DeSilva has Watson as #1 on his list of 12 QB's ..............

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-draft-quarterback-rankings-best-worst-top-12-2017-042117

WGR 550‏Verified account @WGR550 3h3 hours ago

WGR 550 Retweeted Cian Fahey

Cian Fahey joins the program next!

Cian Fahey‏Verified account @Cianaf

The Bills have no WRs, an old RB, gaping hole at right tackle and a defense that needs to be rebuilt, yet they're gonna move up for a QB!

Exactly. The Bills don't have the luxury to take a QB at ten in a weak class with all the holes on this roster.

John Murphy has been crusading harder against these QB's than I have been for Mahomes. Selling fans on mediocrity, it's the Buffalo way.

its really sad and sick tht ppl dont get we are nowhere without a real qb

Exactly. The Bills don't have the luxury to take a QB at ten in a weak class with all the holes on this roster.

A team is never complete.... So when is it the right time lol? Keep swinging in the first or 2 until we get one.