CB: Darby/Seymour

S: Hyde/Poyer

Special Teams

K: Hauschka

P: Schmidt

LS: Ferguson

KR: Tate/C. Brown

PR: Tate/Hyde

So where are the most glaring weaknesses that still need to be filled via free agency and the draft??

To me, it has to be CB. Currently, the Bills have Darby/Seymour/L.Johnson/Roberson/Gaines as the only CBs on the roster. That ain't good folks.

Beyond that, there are depth problems galore.

OFFENSE

DiMarco basically can play the role of a second TE because he can block (and unlike Felton) can actually catch the ball. Adding a much better RT will likely be a priority. I think the Bills can get by with what they have at WR. Unfortunately, they have way too many other problems to address before spending big on a WR.

Offensive priorities: Adding a solid RT plus a high quality backup QB and a second TE w/ some versatility. They had interest in RT A. Smith and QB J. McNown.

DEFENSE

Ideally, you'd like to have a thumper at SS. Hyde and Poyer are cover guys and not very big at 190 lbs. Thus, SS is a need that must be filled.

Bigger than that though is the need for quality CBs. Darby and Seymour are decent. L. Johnson (formerly from Carolina) is probably next in line. I'd say that at least two quality CBs are needed or this team is in big trouble. The Bills have already tried to get D. Shead.

Defensive needs: CB, CB, SS, LB depth, DE depth.

Your thoughts??

I see 2 DB (a combo of CB and S) and a receiver taken in the first 3 rounds. Preferrably WR, DB, DB

I don't disagree that drafting a WR is a good idea - I just don't think it should happen in rounds 1 or 2. The Bills are going to be a heavy run first team; and my gut tells me this marginalizes the #2WR position in this offense.

I would like to see CB in RD 1, S in RD 2 - and then best available after that regardless of position. Depth is needed across the board.

Secondary depth.

I'm wondering if the FO and coaching staff really thinks highly of Seymour. I guess we find out when the draft comes around.

Candidly - I mix beer and football - so my recollection of Seymour is cloudy at best. I recall some glaringly bad plays (he is a rookie after all...) - but was there anything in his play anyone recalls as to give a glimmer of hope for the future?

Edited by oddoublee

Great Post.

Agree CB is the most glaring.

I'd like to see Tre'Davious White picked day one.

If we go with Mike Williams though I'll be thrilled, as he's reminds me of a Mike Evans type that would compliment Sammy very well.

The issue at safety is why I think Mike is the biggest need for us. This means we need someone who can keep the play in front of him and not expose our backfield to the run game. I don't have much hope we can expect our DL to keep our LB's clean

I am still toying with a way to put Ragland in the middle and be successful. But I think it is easier to put him outside and a better talent in the middle.

If we can upgrade mike whilst using Ragland at Sam and figure out the will position than I am confident we can make do at linebacker. It is and has been our biggest weakness for 3-4 years. We do not have one starting calibre linebacker on this team for this defense if it is going to be anything like mcD's Carolina d

Biggest holes in order I would say are: CB, WR, and LB. Without a doubt my biggest concern is our secondary. The only CB I would want at 10 is Lattimore and it's unlikely he lasts that far, don't like Humphrey. I still think we need a legit number 2 WR, however with signing Holmes it may make it more unlikely we draft one early. Before Holmes signed I had my heart set on Davis at #10. Lastly I think we could still stand to upgrade LB. I've never been a big fan of Preston, Ragland is still a question mark, and I'm optimistic yet skeptical of how well Lorenzo translates to the new scheme. Still hoping for Zach Brown to come back.

Biggest holes in order I would say are: CB, WR, and LB. Without a doubt my biggest concern is our secondary. The only CB I would want at 10 is Lattimore and it's unlikely he lasts that far, don't like Humphrey. I still think we need a legit number 2 WR, however with signing Holmes it may make it more unlikely we draft one early. Before Holmes signed I had my heart set on Davis at #10. Lastly I think we could still stand to upgrade LB. I've never been a big fan of Preston, Ragland is still a question mark, and I'm optimistic yet skeptical of how well Lorenzo translates to the new scheme. Still hoping for Zach Brown to come back.

Lattimore would be HUGE help, but I don't see him falling to 10... possible to trade back and still get good value at CB later in round one would also be a great move by the FO.

I don't disagree that drafting a WR is a good idea - I just don't think it should happen in rounds 1 or 2. The Bills are going to be a heavy run first team; and my gut tells me this marginalizes the #2WR position in this offense.

I would like to see CB in RD 1, S in RD 2 - and then best available after that regardless of position. Depth is needed across the board.

Candidly - I mix beer and football - so my recollection of Seymour is cloudy at best. I recall some glaringly bad plays (he is a rookie after all...) - but was there anything in his play anyone recalls as to give a glimmer of hope for the future?

I know he got burned on a double move against Cooper...that's the only mishap I remember myself. I know who took over for Robey at nickel towards the end of the year. Either he earned it or Robey was struggling that badly.

Lattimore would be HUGE help, but I don't see him falling to 10... possible to trade back and still get good value at CB later in round one would also be a great move by the FO.

Absolutely. Lattimore would probably be the best player we could draft, but very unlikely. I still wouldn't be upset if we took one of the two WRs but I just don't see them doing that at this point. With Hooker, Adams, and Lattimore off the board there isn't a DB worth taking at 10 (maybe Peppers?). The other player I would love at 10 is Foster but he probably won't make it past the Bengals. That coupled with the increased unlikelyhood of WR at 10 probably leaves our best option to trade down like you suggested. If we could move down 7-9 spots and still get a CB and pick up another 2nd round pick then that's the route I would probably go too. Just depends on how the board falls that night.

Safey (if Adams or Hooker are there), WR (If Williams or maybe Davis but unsure of him with him missing all post season workouts) or trade down for best CB are the best options for our 1st Round pick IMHO. I'm also a big proponent of drafting QB Nathan Peterman in Round 3.

Very fair point. My concern is that until Sammy proves he can stay on the field consistently, i dont count on him. I love sammy, just a reality though imo. If sammy goes down again we're going to have a repeat of last season with street scrubs who dont even know the playbook being thrown into action mid season with no chemistry between wr and qb. But your point is valid.

I think a true Weakside LB is a big need. And while he wouldn't be my first choice in Rd. 1, Peppers does seem to be a great fit as a SS/Will LB in McDermott's scheme.

that is exactly what is needed most..Wlb,Cb. If we HAVE to go into the season with Hyde and Poyer,fine. But we need a Will,and Corner very badly. I see that as the top two picks. If we can trade back n get an extra second,I could see Wr also. Otherwise,add depth and continue to build on the lines

with this many needs, you have to take the BPA who can contribute on day 1 and be a game-changer at #10. If that guy isn't there (and I think there will be one or more at 10), then you trade down. I don't care if the guy is a DL (McDermitt likes to rotate them). Game changers can play anywhere. I think we find a CB/Safety in Rd. 2-5.

I don't think Alexander is a LB in a 4-3. He will be the primary backup to Hughes and Lawson.

McDermott let Alexander know he will be playing a Thomas Davis role with the Bills.

We havent installed defense yet, but well be playing a lot of Over and Under fronts, so in Under Ill be on the line of scrimmage as a SAM and in over Ill be off the ball as a WILL. Then on third downs, youll see me on the edge as a spinner, rushing the passer like I did last year.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/20/buffalo-bills-lorenzo-alexander-interview-free-agency/

If the season were to start today, here would be our starting lineups:

Offense

QB: Taylor

RB: McCoy

FB: DiMarco

TE: Clay

O-Line: Glenn/Incognito/Wood/Miller/Mills

WR: Watkins/Holmes

Defense

DE: Hughes/Lawson

DT: Dareus/K. Williams

LB: Ragland/P. Brown/Alexander

CB: Darby/Seymour

S: Hyde/Poyer

Special Teams

K: Hauschka

P: Schmidt

LS: Ferguson

KR: Tate/C. Brown

PR: Tate/Hyde

So where are the most glaring weaknesses that still need to be filled via free agency and the draft??

To me, it has to be CB. Currently, the Bills have Darby/Seymour/L.Johnson/Roberson/Gaines as the only CBs on the roster. That ain't good folks.

Beyond that, there are depth problems galore.

OFFENSE

DiMarco basically can play the role of a second TE because he can block (and unlike Felton) can actually catch the ball. Adding a much better RT will likely be a priority. I think the Bills can get by with what they have at WR. Unfortunately, they have way too many other problems to address before spending big on a WR.

Offensive priorities: Adding a solid RT plus a high quality backup QB and a second TE w/ some versatility. They had interest in RT A. Smith and QB J. McNown.

DEFENSE

Ideally, you'd like to have a thumper at SS. Hyde and Poyer are cover guys and not very big at 190 lbs. Thus, SS is a need that must be filled.

Bigger than that though is the need for quality CBs. Darby and Seymour are decent. L. Johnson (formerly from Carolina) is probably next in line. I'd say that at least two quality CBs are needed or this team is in big trouble. The Bills have already tried to get D. Shead.

Defensive needs: CB, CB, SS, LB depth, DE depth.

Your thoughts??

There is no more pure SS any longer. You need two that can cover and tackle. WR is our most glaring need right now, DB's can be had deep into this draft no problem

1. In the base 4-3 I believe Washington and Lawson will be the DE's and Hughes will play a stand-up OLB

2. In the Nickel formation which is the predominant formation, it will be Hughes at DE and Washington will rotate with Dareus and KW at DT. Lawson will stay at DE. Ragland probably is the MLB in the nickel and I suspect the other LB is not on the team right now and will come via the draft.

3. The starting CB opposite Darby is also not on the team now and will come via the draft.

4. Yes Mills is the weak spot on the line. I still think there is an outside chance Glenn moves to LT while Kujo plays LT but with his injury that is now less likely. Mills is adequate until Henderson comes off suspension and they compete for the starting job. The long term starting RT will come in the 2018 draft.

5. Unfortunately, my thoughts leave a big hole at safety, do little to upgrade the passing attack, and still leave them thin at LB. They will draft a safety for sure, but I doubt they will start three rookies two of which would be in the secondary.

6. P. Brown is the wild card. he was terrible last year. If he improves he could push to start and that would move Ragland to one of the OLB spots. If he is no better or regresses he will be a training camp cut.

I see 2 DB (a combo of CB and S) and a receiver taken in the first 3 rounds. Preferrably WR, DB, DB

This^^^^

I would add that a TE instead of a WR in the first 3 rounds could also be an option. And, LB could be an option.

Trading back in round 1 to get another pick in the top 100 players may be the best strategy with as many needs.

Edited by horned dogs

Hopefully the Bills are considering re-signing some of their own FAs....possibly on the cheap.

Guys like S C. Graham (who can also play CB) and LB Z. Brown (who was an MVP candidate last year) are under the radar type players who could really help to fortify this team.

I don't think Alexander is a LB in a 4-3. He will be the primary backup to Hughes and Lawson.

Zo's probably playing sam on run downs, not sure his role in a nickel? Maybe an extra rusher, or spelling the other ends? Either way - I think we need another pass rusher in this draft at some point.

Looks like preston is penciled in as the will for now... which isn't great and the depth at LB is pretty poor right now. Good depth LBs can be found later in the draft.

As for Corners, we don't have enough so its a draft priority. I know theyd like to use poyer and hyde with a 3rd safety in nickel situations. I think Byrd should be a target here for the center field role in a cover 3 (he's a cap casualty as well so it won't affect a comp pick formula).

WR2 is a huge priority. I think the depth guys they brought in are actually stronger than our options previously, and brown seems like a decent fit in the slot. The problem is a genuine starter across from Sammy, and I don't think he's on the roster. This should be a priority in the first couple rounds.

Lot of holes - and I'd still love to see a QB in the first 2 picks.

Agreed. He will see a lot of time rotating at DE. My vision for the base 4-3 has Washington starting at DE and Hughes at OLB. Lorax could also play DE in this scenario. In the nickel he will rotate with Hughes and Lawson at DE.

Hopefully the Bills are considering re-signing some of their own FAs....possibly on the cheap.

Guys like S C. Graham (who can also play CB) and LB Z. Brown (who was an MVP candidate last year) are under the radar type players who could really help to fortify this team.

Have most definitely been hoping that Z. Brown, Robey-Coleman, Graham, and/or A. Williams come back at discounted rates. If those 4 guys are on the roster as depth, then we're in better shape than without them. Robey-Coleman as CB5 and Graham as S3 would be ideal.

with this many needs, you have to take the BPA who can contribute on day 1 and be a game-changer at #10. If that guy isn't there (and I think there will be one or more at 10), then you trade down. I don't care if the guy is a DL (McDermitt likes to rotate them). Game changers can play anywhere. I think we find a CB/Safety in Rd. 2-5.

The only game changer that I would stay at #10 would be Adams or Hooker. If you said they take Foster at 10 I would probably be ok with that. Both Adams and Hooker will likely be gone unless there is a run on QBs. Therefore I advocate, trade down and take BPA from five positions - CB, S, TE, WR, QB. There is no OT that is worth wasting a day 1 or day 2 pick.

Have most definitely been hoping that Z. Brown, Robey-Coleman, Graham, and/or A. Williams come back at discounted rates. If those 4 guys are on the roster as depth, then we're in better shape than without them. Robey-Coleman as CB5 and Graham as S3 would be ideal.

Feels unseemly but I would like to see A. Williams back on a reduced incentive laden contract. I feel bad asking the neck injury guy to play for less money but if he wants to play that is the only fair way to structure a deal from the FO perspective.

Agreed. He will see a lot of time rotating at DE. My vision for the base 4-3 has Washington starting at DE and Hughes at OLB. Lorax could also play DE in this scenario. In the nickel he will rotate with Hughes and Lawson at DE.

Hughes is a 4-3 end and Washington is a 4-3 DT.

Washington will back up Williams and Dareus.

Lorax will be our version of Thomas Davis...will be an off the ball linebacker in some fronts and DE in others.

Hughes is a 4-3 end and Washington is a 4-3 DT.

Washington will back up Williams and Dareus.

Lorax will be our version of Thomas Davis...will be an off the ball linebacker in some fronts and DE in others.

Washington could okay 43de in the NFL for this defense. As a sub package it could work out well as he sets a great edge on the strong side while Lawson holds down the weak side.

I am so curious in this is consider floating Hughes as trade bait for a LB.

Washington could okay 43de in the NFL for this defense. As a sub package it could work out well as he sets a great edge on the strong side while Lawson holds down the weak side.

I am so curious in this is consider floating Hughes as trade bait for a LB.

Washington is a DT in a 4-3. We don't play in a 3-4 anymore where you have bigger ends.

We're not trading Hughes. He's our starting every down edge rusher. I know you think you know more than McDermott about the Bills defense but you're just wrong.

Washington is a DT in a 4-3. We don't play in a 3-4 anymore where you have bigger ends.

We're not trading Hughes. He's our starting every down edge rusher. I know you think you know more than McDermott about the Bills defense but you're just wrong.

Dwan Edwards was a dt. Look at his career in buffalo and Carolina with mcd

IMO the huge holes in the starting lineup are in no particular order, RT, WR#2, WR#3, Corner #1, and Safety #1

I think Hyde is your starting nickel CB and starting safety will come in the first 3 rounds of the draft

As our Bills will play in nickel and dime 65% of the time

That's why I think we won't be drafting any front 7 players

I also think starting WR#2 and Corner will come in the first 3 rounds of the draft

I don't think we take a QB high but I could be wrong

I'd love to see the 4th round pick to be a WR#3 but it could just as easily be another corner/safety or tackles, or depth QB

I think we are fine at TE, RB and everywhere else on the O

jc

Dwan Edwards was a dt. Look at his career in buffalo and Carolina with mcd

Dwan Edwards was a 3-4 defensive end with Buffalo in George Edwards system 3-4 system. Kyle Williams was the nose tackle and Stroud was other end.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2010.htm

He was a defensive tackle with the Panthers in McDermotts base 4-3 defensive alignment.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article63809772.html