Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller DID NOT cause the trade of Lynch. LYNCH WANTED OUT.

LYNCH CAUSED THE TRADE OF LYNCH!

You think Sammy and Dareus wouldn't GREATLY prefer to play for other teams?

Lynch was also unhappy and glad to be traded but he didn't force a trade.

I think guys like Manuel, Whitner, and Spiller are not the type that I would call bad picks. They were picked too high, but they mostly had good attitudes, they mostly tried pretty hard, and the team got some value out of them. Guys like Mike Williams and Erik Flowers on the other hand, never seemed like they even tried to live up to expectations. Those are they guys I would call bad picks.

With the draft coming up I was thinking about the number of terrible first round picks we have made in the past. A lot of the members here may eclipse my memory of this teams drafting woes as I started following the Bills during the Super Bowl years as a young lad and am sure I missed some disappointing picks in the past. That being said I'd love to know the opinions of this informed board. Here we go...

Worst 1st round pick for me: CJ Spiller

An enormous bust outside of his 1 year with Chan running the show. This was a pick we did not need to make and definitely jumped the gun when making this decision. During this time we had Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and Joique Bell filter through our RB corps. Marshawn was misbehaving and shown the door, then promptly made us look like idiots when the Seahawks surprised everyone beating the Saints while Beast Mode was showered in skittles after an indestructible run. Joique Bell landed with the Lions and became their #1 RB over time, obviously not on the level of Marshawn talent wise but made a significant positive impact on their team. And Fred Jackson who essentially saved our asses when's CJ showed his inability to be a true workhorse back.

CJ Spiller was a huge disappointment and a bad pick when we had a bevy of talent with the team already.

Who's your bugaboo, your oopsies, the player picked in the first that made you throw up in your mouth a bit?

Mods, if this has been discussed then by all means close the thread.

EJ

Flowers, Maybin, Spiller, Mike Williams, McCargo

So many to choose from. Whitner over Ngata was the biggest "WTF!?!?!?!" of all time with Maybin over Orakpo coming in 2nd. The one that got me the most was trading back into the 1st for JP Losman after not moving ahead of Pittsburgh for Roethlisberger. That was the one that got to me.

we should have done anything to get Ben

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I guess that depending on your point of view, one could also make a case for a certain #1 overall from USC, a convicted felon, who some say murdered his wife, as being the worst draft choice ever... I don't care about his accomplishments on the field, nor does it matter that he wasn't convicted criminally either (although he was found legally responsible for her death and that of Mr Goldman in civil court). He wouldn't be the first murderer not to be convicted criminally. I know the OP was asking the question more so in regards to production (or lack thereof) on the gridiron but if one sincerely believes that he "got away with murder" it's kinda hard to overlook....

give us a break, will ya.

Gotta be Cousineau because he was an overall #1 and never played a down for Bills, and wasnt very good anywhere else. Short mediocre career with the Browns. Not sure how we can keep saying Mike Williams. Started three seasons here, and had a long career. He may still be playing for that Washington Team. He wasn't worth a number 1 but worst Bust Ever??? Like the Perry Tuttle Suggestion. That one might be right. Reuben Gant was suggested but he had one of the greatest plays in Bills History! Received a fake punt, was all alone, and held the ball up in the air while high stepping down the sideline. Buuuuuut! He forgot about the punt returner and got his head taken off! Wish I could find a video of that.

You think Sammy and Dareus wouldn't GREATLY prefer to play for other teams?

Lynch was also unhappy and glad to be traded but he didn't force a trade.

Here: https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-packers-te-says-marshawn-lynch-wanted-to-play-for-green-bay/amp/

Else,please provide a link to prove otherwise. Thank you

Edited by cd1

There have been at least 6 (debatably more) first round picks since the start of the drought that were worse than CJ Spiller:

• Mike Williams
  • McGahee
  • Losman
  • McCargo
  • Maybin
  • Manuel

+1

At least Spiller was productive unlike the rest on the list. I also felt McGahee was a terrible choice. At the time, the Bills had Travis Henry who ran for over 1,400 yards when McGahee was drafted with a blown knee.

There have been some bad ones, but my least favorite on draft day was Maybin over Orakpo. Everyone in the league except for Dick Jauron knew Orakpo was the better prospect!

With the gift of 20/20 hindsight, I think the pick that ended up having the biggest negative impact in the history of the Franchise was Losman. It was bad enough that we got Losman in a draft that had Eli, Rivers, & Roethlisberger. But we traded pick 20 in 2005 to move up in 2004 to get Losman. In 2005, Aaron Rodgers was drafted with pick 24 that year. Seems likely that if we hadn't taken Losman in 2004 and stuck with Bledsoe for one more year instead we very possibly would have wound up with Aaron Rodgers the following year.

I don't think CJ would even be in the top five for me. He proved his value when we had an offensive coach who knew how to use him. He was an absolute baller that year, and that's more than a lot of first rounders can claim.

I'd go with: Mike Williams, JP Losman, or Aaron Maybin. Not sure which of the three to choose for the top spot.