Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

ME: Perry Tuttle

YOU: Who?

ME: Exactly

Two seasons in Buffalo, 16 games (4 games started) 24 receptions, 368 yards, 3 TDs

Beyond Buffalo-

Tampa Bay --- 3 games (0 games started) 0 receptions

Atlanta --------- 5 games (0 games started) 1 reception, 7 yards

End of career. Worst 1st round pick ever.

Wow, haha... that is bad.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been at least 6 (debatably more) first round picks since the start of the drought that were worse than CJ Spiller:

• Mike Williams
  • McGahee
  • Losman
  • McCargo
  • Maybin
  • Manuel

Agree with this list. I don't know if I would call McGahee a flat out bust, but he certainly was a huge headscratcher at the time considering Travis Henry was just coming off of a 1400 yard season and was pretty much in his prime...and Willis was recovering from one of the most devastating knee injuries I'd ever seen in college football.

Maybin. He had two years of eligibility left and should have stayed in school longer.

If we're talking the first rounds overall, then the Whitner/McCargo draft was the worst ever. Taking Whitner over Ngata was compounded by taking McCargo later in round 1. Whitner had been projected to go around 24 on some earlier mocks that year, which is where McCargo was taken. A Ngata/Whitner draft would have been pretty good.

All you guys posting Mike Williams. I was in the Kelly suite that day for a draft party. We get MW and minutes later trade for Bledsoe. EVERYONE there thought Super Bowl, the excitement at the time. Later to find out one of the darker days of course

I understand where you're coming from with the 'we already had Jackson and Lynch' take but Spiller was a dynamic player coming out of college and he produced for us. To suggest that a guy who once ran for over 1,200 yards while averaging 6 yards a carry is the worst first round pick in the 57 year history of a franchise is beyond preposterous. And another thing, new rule, young fans (I am 38 and only claim to go back to the '85 season) cannot throw around claims like "worst or best in Bills history" when they only go back to like Drew Bledsoe as the Bills QB.

The scary thing? Spiller may be closer to one of the best picks the Bills ever made in the first than one of the worst. :sick:

Eric Moulds was a bust. I wish I had a dollar every time I heard that in his 1st couple years. :doh:

More seriously - Aaron 'who the he!! did we just pick" Maybin.

And living in Oregon I had issues with Whitner over Ngata. Still do.

In recent years, there have been so many prospects that turn out bad, you have to stop blaming the players and start looking at the organization and if they really know how to win in the league.

Let's start by looking at the past 16 years of trying to win without a QB.

Yeah, but we both have more rushing yards in our respective Bills careers than Reggie Bush

Ha ha

I think that McCargo was just awful as well. He was the 3rd DL selected in the first on his own line, in a trade up. He and Troupe (who happened to be in the second) were just brutal picks at the same position.

It's gonna suck when he leaves and then decides after landing with a contender that his footsie wootsie doesn't hurt anymore.

yes, when he leaves we will only get a 3rd round pick to make up for it but we will sign a long snapper and lose that 3rd that we would have got for sammy whom we had to use two firsts two get!

It's gonna suck when he leaves and then decides after landing with a contender that his footsie wootsie doesn't hurt anymore.

The footsie-wootsie that he played on for the final 9 games of 2015 and scorched most of the NFL?

:lol:

People sure do have their daggers.

The footsie-wootsie that he played on for the final 9 games of 2015 and scorched most of the NFL?

A first round pick, in a WR heavy draft full of talent. We traded up, he barely played last year.

It's a what have you done for me lately league.

For what it's worth.. a healthy Sammy IMO is a top 3 WR in this league.

Edited by Eric Moulds on my A**

Ha ha

I think that McCargo was just awful as well. He was the 3rd DL selected in the first on his own line, in a trade up. He and Troupe (who happened to be in the second) were just brutal picks at the same position.

Troupe's problem was his injured back. He might have been ok if not for the injury.

I think the biggest bust was quite literally that big doofus offensive lineman Mike Williams. The guys physical size and appetite were only eclipsed by how bad he sucked from the moment he put a Bills jersey on. He was also like a 3rd or 4th overall too.

I remember being so excited when we picked him too, i was so happy we picked what i thought was an absolute stud offensive lineman. We also gave him a ton of money, but no, the guy got paid and just ate himself into oblivion

Edited by Lex Lyon

A first round pick, in a WR heavy draft full of talent. We traded up, he barely played last year.

It's a what have you done for me lately league.

For what it's worth.. a healthy Sammy IMO is a top 3 WR in this league.

Whether trading up for him was a good decision is entirely separate from whether or not he's a bad draft pick.

You're right, he's a top 5 WR when he's on the field; no question.

He actually played 8 games last year, though admittedly he couldn't move in the first 2.

Didn't he have his own rap video?

yeah. Maybe he can make one with Chad Kelly lol.

Maybin. The others showed flashes of why they were drafted high. Maybin just ran 15 yards up field every play. I can't think of one impact play that he made here. When a teammate tells you to give back the ****** money you haven't earned it's bad

you've been here long enough to know the joke of what i said. 2 firsts for watkins. now with the new spin of losing a 3rd round pick when we lose him.

Whether trading up for him was a good decision is entirely separate from whether or not he's a bad draft pick.

You're right, he's a top 5 WR when he's on the field; no question.

He actually played 8 games last year, though admittedly he couldn't move in the first 2.

It's just so frustrating to see Mike Evans and OBJ remain healthy (Beckham after his abcense from the start of his rookie year). I suppose you're right that the verdict is not out yet for Sammy. But we need to see it this year or he will end up being another casualty in FA.

A lot of good points but personally, at 4 I thought Williams was going to be the real deal. I remember thinking we were set for a decade.... ooof

I know I'm about to get crucified for this , though not a bust , I still HATE two firsts for Watkins.