Why not Use Transition Tag on Gilmore

Stussy109

If our plan is to let Gilmore walk, (most likely resulting in a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2018) why not tag him.with the more affordable transition Tage and trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick this year? Similar to what we did with Peerless Price years ago.

The transition tag is rarely used by NFL franchises. There are two reasons for this. The first is that the one-year transition offer is typically a large amount, which could provide the club with difficulties while attempting to keep the team's aggregate salaries under the salary cap. The other is that players often react badly to receiving the tag, because it limits their ability to negotiate with other teams and therefore hinders their chances of receiving the largest possible contract. Players sometimes counter the tag by holding out or refusing to play for the club, creating distractions and headaches for the club.

IMO we will have another Byrd situation if any tag is placed on Gilmore - he will either refuse to sign it until week 10 or sign it day before opener meaning he does not need to participate in training camp and preseason making him out of sync with new defense scheme no matter how much fellow DBs "keep him informed".

I am generally for teams exercising their rights agreed to by the players' representatives, the NFLPA, but in this case cannot see any benefit to Bills.

I guess it depends on how much new coaching staff views Gilmore as essential to their plans.

The transition tag is rarely used by NFL franchises. There are two reasons for this. The first is that the one-year transition offer is typically a large amount, which could provide the club with difficulties while attempting to keep the team's aggregate salaries under the salary cap. The other is that players often react badly to receiving the tag, because it limits their ability to negotiate with other teams and therefore hinders their chances of receiving the largest possible contract. Players sometimes counter the tag by holding out or refusing to play for the club, creating distractions and headaches for the club.

and gilmore is not the team player, to say the least.. i would submit he would pout and B word more .. play even less aggressive , if that is possible. jmo

i would add that another reason teams don't use it is that players who are lost after being transition tagged do not factor into the comp pick formula.

If our plan is to let Gilmore walk, (most likely resulting in a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2018) why not tag him.with the more affordable transition Tage and trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick this year? Similar to what we did with Peerless Price years ago.

I am afraid that he might sign the tag and stay on the Bills.

Were it up to me, I would get rid of his lackluster, indifferent ass and gain the comp pick. Not having to tie up and waste 10-15 million on Gilmore is good news too, imo of course.

Were it up to me, I would get rid of his lackluster, indifferent ass and gain the comp pick. Not having to tie up and waste 10-15 million on Gilmore is good news too, imo of course.

Yes. Replace with a first round pick on a DB, something you will always agree too. :rolleyes:

I agree about lackluster however and not think he is worth top 10 money.

Copy and pasted directly from wikipedia :lol:

IMO we will have another Byrd situation if any tag is placed on Gilmore - he will either refuse to sign it until week 10 or sign it day before opener meaning he does not need to participate in training camp and preseason making him out of sync with new defense scheme no matter how much fellow DBs "keep him informed".

I am generally for teams exercising their rights agreed to by the players' representatives, the NFLPA, but in this case cannot see any benefit to Bills.

I guess it depends on how much new coaching staff views Gilmore as essential to their plans.

That is a ton of speculation and guessing.

plagiarism

It is not "plagiarism" - that is defined as making up spelling when you have no idea how to actually spell words.

Plagiarism is copying someone else's work and passing it off as your own which he did not do either since he took no credit;

what he did was fail to give credit to source.

.... and since wikipedia is an open editing platform it is also possible that he is last editor but it is unlikely in this case.

That is a ton of speculation and guessing.

Yes but it is my opinion and did not attempt to state otherwise.

It is not "plagiarism" - that is defined as making up spelling when you have no idea how to actually spell words.

Plagiarism is copying someone else's work and passing it off as your own which he did not do either since he took no credit;

what he did was fail to give credit to source.

.... and since wikipedia is an open editing platform it is also possible that he is last editor but it is unlikely in this case.

Ummm....yeah it's plagiarism unless he/she is the one who authored it on Wikipedia. Not that it's a big deal, but technically it is plagiarism. No citation, no link, no credit given.

I'd sign him to a long term deal. I know I am in the minority but I will be annoyed if they let Gilmore walk. He is so much better than the seeming TBD consensus would have you believe.

I would like to know his ability in zone coverage as opposed to man

If Gilmore is a lousey to average zone coverage guy why spend that money?

I'd sign him to a long term deal. I know I am in the minority but I will be annoyed if they let Gilmore walk. He is so much better than the seeming TBD consensus would have you believe.

Agree 100%. If he danced and talked more, he would be viewed differently. He is the whipping boy here this year. Yet some fall in love with average at best guys like Andy Levitre and want to pay him at a far less important position.

The Gilmore to Carolina thing almost makes too much sense. He will be someone commentators talk about the dumb Bills letting him walk for nothing.

No kidding. Jenner was slapped with the transition tag and he still has his balls.

No commitment at all....

Exactly - its about sharing info to get a better understanding .....wtf cares???

I don't think anyone does, really.

It just makes you look silly. At the very least preface your post by saying "per Wikipedia..." and then put quotes around the stuff you copied and pasted. It is nice if you include a link.

Or not...

Exactly - its about sharing info to get a better understanding .....wtf cares???

I don't think anyone does, really.

It just makes you look silly. At the very least preface your post by saying "per Wikipedia..." and then put quotes around the stuff you copied and pasted. It is nice if you include a link.

Or not...

why do some people side track the point of a thread over stupid sh#t..?

There's a big difference between tagging and trading now compared to back when they did it with Peerless Price. In PP's days you could tag the guy and then try to trade him. If you couldn't find a trade partner you could just let him go at any time all the way through training camp or even the season, or keep him at the tag rate and continue to negotiate or try to trade him.

Ever since the 2006 CBA a tagged player can sign the tag tender and that money then becomes 100% guaranteed. Additionally, teams and tagged players only have until mid-July to reach long term deals or the player must play under the tag amount for the season.

Those two factors make tagging a player with the intent of trading him much riskier than it used to be. In Gilmore's case, all he has to do is walk in and sign the tender and either the Bills or a new team are stuck paying a guaranteed $12+ million (with a $12+ million cap charge). This is a huge bargaining chip for Gilmore. Not only against the Bills but against any team that might want to trade for him.

This is why you almost never see any players tagged and traded any more. And also why if a team is intent on not letting the player go for nothing they usually use the franchise tag instead. It's usually only a couple million more but gives the team a few more advantages if the player really wants to leave.

Edited by Tuco

so why comment on it and give it life? "chief"?

I'm going to post what ever the heck I want, dude. If you don't like what I post you can choose to ignore it or you can freaking report me. I don't care what you think.

I'm going to drop it now out of respect for my fellow TBD'ers. I suggest you do the same.

I'm going to post what ever the heck I want, dude. If you don't like what I post you can choose to ignore it or you can freaking report me. I don't care what you think.

I'm going to drop it now out of respect for my fellow TBD'ers. I suggest you do the same.

Get 'em Johnny!

No way- Tag = average of top 5 money at the position. Hes not even top ten imo.

Really? I'd put Gilmore in the top 10 in the league. He's not top 5, but he's top 10. If I'm DW, I'm franchise tagging him in order to get a long term deal done. No question. No screwing around with the transition tag. That's a waste of time.

Really? I'd put Gilmore in the top 10 in the league. He's not top 5, but he's top 10. If I'm DW, I'm franchise tagging him in order to get a long term deal done. No question. No screwing around with the transition tag. That's a waste of time.

I amn't.

I am letting unhappy go. He does not want to be here and he will not fit the scheme.

and i dont like his football play at all.

seems like super nice fellow though

I amn't.

I am letting unhappy go. He does not want to be here and he will not fit the scheme.

and i dont like his football play at all.

seems like super nice fellow though

Gilmore is not suited to press-man like Rex had him playing. Add in the lack of pressure on opposing QBs and not a lot of CBs were going to look good. Gilmore is best suited to press-zone, especially Cover 2. McD is likely to run mostly Cover 3 with other zones mixed in. That would put the CBs into more true zones without pressing as often. That seems to be something that Gilmore could do well, although it is different than what he excelled at under Schwartz. It sure fits him better than press-man. Why don't you think he'd fit that scheme? Edited by BarleyNY

He plays with a skirt on and I disagree with him being top ten, but we all have our opinions and I respect yours.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-25-nfl-cornerbacks-this-season/

Edited by billsfan_34

I read a article by Jerry Sullivan about how the Bills are cap strapped pretty much due to writing these outrageous contracts such as DAREUS that has strapped the Bills with no way to get out from under his contract .

Gilmore as most players is going to try to cash in but he isn't worth what he thinks he is !! One example used was the Oakland game & the first Jets game, it showed his weaknesses of which he blamed on others .

They can get another good CB in the draft & let some other team carry the burden of paying his outrageous price & one team will i just hope it's not the Bills !!!!

Just search the "shadow" thread on this board...he absolutely belongs in the top 10, and his metrics compare quite well with the Sherman/Peterson/Norman tier.

Many many other sources dont even have him broken out in the top 25- I will dig up those links later on. I also know what I saw on the field- average to above average corner in the NFL and thats it.

I'm dealing only in facts on the issue.

Facts? Please bandit.

Gilmore was a waste of a draft pick and would be an even bigger waste of a signing. He is not a winner, nor will he ever be. Whaley might be stupid enough to sign him. After all, he did try to re-sign Byrd. If he does sign Gilmore, it will only put the Bills deeper in the cellar of disgrace in which they currently reside.

It is sad, but many Bills Fans have the Stockholm Syndrome. Sure, let's draft a top 10 safety or corner! Let's give a big costly contract to Gilmore!

The Bills didn't lose in spite of players such as Whitner and Gilmore. We are consistent failures BECAUSE of wasting our best resources on so-so players such as these.