The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

Last Tuesday, 7/28, 20/20 ran a story "American Catastrophe: How we got here."   I thought I would learn something watching it and even DVR'ed it.  It can be seen on Youtube in parts.  Here is the link to part 1.  I think there are 3 or 4 parts.  I did learn something watching it, unfortunately I will have to watch it again to remember what it was. 

It is a great piece of unbiased reporting!   /s

MSNBC producer resigns from network with scathing letter:

They block 'diversity of thought' and 'amplify fringe voices'

"This cancer risks human lives, even in the middle of a pandemic. The primary focus quickly became what Donald Trump was doing (poorly) to address the crisis, rather than the science itself. As new details have become available about antibodies, a vaccine, or how COVID actually spreads, producers still want to focus on the politics. Important facts or studies get buried," Pekary explained.  "This cancer risks our democracy, even in the middle of a presidential election.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Democrats and media pushing Trump = Hitler and Mussolini as never before

by Thomas Lifson

Original Article

There is more than a whiff of desperation in the re-emergence of the thermonuclear bomb of hysterical rhetoric, that President Trump is just like (or even worse than!) Hitler.

Never mind the absence of death camps — the very fact that his enemies are free to employ the most irresponsible and vile language against him without disappearing in the dead of night refutes the charge.

Yet we have taxpayer-funded PBS and NPR pushing the comparison hard ("Trump is the most dangerous figure in human history"), and, on the same weekend, the man who handed the Democrats' nomination to Biden

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Nothing to see here.  Just a CIA puff piece on Communist China.

On the plus side the sculpture isn't bad.  Also, I knew Trudeau did blackface but hadn't realized he also did asianface. 

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

MASSIVE SURVEY FINDS MOST AMERICANS SEE INTENTIONAL BIAS IN MEDIA:

The Gallup Poll and Knight Foundation surveyed 20,000 Americans just before the Pandemic began on their opinions of the news media and came up with confirmation of what folks on the Right have been saying for decades:

“Many Americans feel the media’s critical role of informing and holding those in power accountable is compromised by increasing bias. As such, Americans have not only lost confidence in the ideal of an objective media, they believe news organizations actively support the partisan divide. At the same time, Americans have not lost sight of the value of news — strong majorities uphold the ideal that the news media is fundamental to a healthy democracy.

And more specifically:

“Nearly three-quarters of Americans say they see too much bias in the reporting of news that is supposed to be objective as “a major problem” (73%), up from 65% in the 2017 study.

“Nearly 8 in 10 Americans (79%) say news organizations they distrust are trying to persuade people to adopt a certain viewpoint, while 12% say they are trying to report the news accurately and fairly but are unable to do so.”

There is much, much more in these data.

Next question: Is anybody in the media listening?

I seriously doubt it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The Gallup Poll and Knight Foundation surveyed 20,000 Americans just before the Pandemic began on their opinions of the news media and came up with confirmation of what folks on the Right have been saying for decades:

“Many Americans feel the media’s critical role of informing and holding those in power accountable is compromised by increasing bias. As such, Americans have not only lost confidence in the ideal of an objective media, they believe news organizations actively support the partisan divide. At the same time, Americans have not lost sight of the value of news — strong majorities uphold the ideal that the news media is fundamental to a healthy democracy.

And more specifically:

“Nearly three-quarters of Americans say they see too much bias in the reporting of news that is supposed to be objective as “a major problem” (73%), up from 65% in the 2017 study.

“Nearly 8 in 10 Americans (79%) say news organizations they distrust are trying to persuade people to adopt a certain viewpoint, while 12% say they are trying to report the news accurately and fairly but are unable to do so.”

I seriously doubt it.

I think they listen and hear it.   But since most are activists and bear no resemblance whatsoever to actual journalists, they just don't give a damn.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, B-Man said:

And more specifically:

I seriously doubt it.

And television is the main source for news for the majority of Americans....and FOX is the highest rated "news" outlet...Tucker Carlson has the highest rated "news" program. 

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

And television is the main source for news for the majority of Americans....and FOX is the highest rated "news" outlet...Tucker Carlson has the highest rated "news" program. 

Tucker's show is all opinion and commentary.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Tucker's show is all opinion and commentary.

Fair enough. Do most viewers make that distinction though?

People can say they get their news from FOX, CNN or MSNBC but the majority of the content on all of those networks could be classified as opinion or commentary.  The article posted above, about the parting shots the MSNBC producer took at the network, could probably be made of all these networks. That producer worked on the Lawrence O'Donnell show...O'Donnell's show is also opinion and commentary.

22 hours ago, Buftex said:

Fair enough. Do most viewers make that distinction though?

People can say they get their news from FOX, CNN or MSNBC but the majority of the content on all of those networks could be classified as opinion or commentary.  The article posted above, about the parting shots the MSNBC producer took at the network, could probably be made of all these networks. That producer worked on the Lawrence O'Donnell show...O'Donnell's show is also opinion and commentary.

I think journalism has had a lot of opinion influences for a long time. 

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Of course the media is biased.

Now name the SINGLE media juggernaut that currently exists...

Go!!!

Most people know that the current media is controlled by a handful of corporations and people. Here are some links so you can see just how tightly controlled it is:

5 corporations control the media <<<< PBS link (it appears to be from 2017)

15 Billionaires own America's news media <<<< Forbes link (June 1, 2016)

Media Landscape chart <<<< Vox link

I used all sites that lean (ok, fall over) left so you would not dispute the findings.

The US media is tightly controlled.  Who decides the spin and narrative? What decides the spin and narrative? Why is the spin and narrative so tightly controlled?  Those are questions we should all be asking.

Almost all "news" sites lean left. Fox (in spite of screeching to the contrary) is the most centrist, OAN leans right.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Of course the media is biased.

Now name the SINGLE media juggernaut that currently exists...

Go!!!

Congrats on your awakening.  On the last episode of your podcast, “Transplant on Media”, you were pitching that a simple misreading of the tea leaves and 90 anonymous sources lead the Bezos Enquirer to miss the boat on the Russia narrative for 46 months in a row.  

As to your question, I want to be an honest broker in our conversations. You gave me something to think about, and I appreciate that.  I considered a variety of outlets, the usual suspects, but that got me thinking less about where the story begins, but how it’s delivered.    I also considered the relative impact on the world/USA, specifically as it related to the ability to influence opinions, attitudes and to shape the world. 

In that vein, and considering  “juggernaut” I’d probably cite two non-traditional contenders:

Google

Facebook

In the more traditional sense of the word, I’d probably go with the Associated Press or Reuter’s. The network established over the decades is impressive and evolving—from print to broadcast to internet and beyond.  The AP really created the concept of mass marketing the business of news, in a sense, Amazon for media outlets before there was Amazon.  

Finally, it would be impossible to have any serious dialogue on “media” without considering the role played by the DOJ and all its iterations. While not a media outlet per se, the highly functional and strategic system of creating stories and funneling through “anonymous leaks” and at times “whistleblower complaints” has a massive impact on our daily lives. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1