Cardale Jones

Ennjay

Serious question: what do you do with Cardale?

All you ever hear about him is that he's not ready, which he proved hugely in the Jets game. You also read there's no time during the regular season to develop him because other QB's need the rep's. So when does he get ready?

If you bring back Tyrod, he plays and he's probably here a few more years. Where's the window for Cardale? If he's "not ready," how do you make him the 2nd QB even with EJ gone?

If you don't bring back Tyrod, someone else plays because Cardale's not ready. You pick up a serviceable vet and probably forget about the playoffs.

If you draft Watson at #10 (which appeals to me a lot), there's a better chance of him playing early -- like in 2017 -- than Cardale.

So what's the point of carrying Cardale? What are you supposed to do with him and when?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do EXACTLY what you always planned on doing with a Cardale. You continue to develop him. He made big strides in year 1 and still has a ways to go. This isn't a surprise to the Bills. He was a raw prospect with a high celing. He wasn't being drafted to be a solid back-up that can play day one. He was a guy that was drafted because he has the raw tools to be a star. His role this year probably looks a lot like his role last year. That's not a disappointment or a surprise, that was the plan.

You do EXACTLY what you always planned on doing with a Cardale. You continue to develop him. He made big strides in year 1 and still has a ways to go. This isn't a surprise to the Bills. He was a raw prospect with a high celing. He wasn't being drafted to be a solid back-up that can play day one. He was a guy that was drafted because he has the raw tools to be a star. His role this year probably looks a lot like his role last year. That's not a disappointment or a surprise, that was the plan.

What big strides are you talking about?

You continue to (teach him / coach him / drill him) and let him compete against the other quarterbacks you have on the roster.

If he improves and keeps improving then you keep him and hope he can outplay whoever your starter is within the next 2 years.

If he regresses without earning the starting position or if he just becomes stagnant where he isn't improving over a season, you kick him to the curb.

With this new coaching staff - they might have different opinions of Cardale than the last staff had. So - you really don't know what to expect. He could become 2nd string or he could get cut. Starting Cardale is very unlikely based on his play so far. But pretty much anything else one way or the other is possible.

Edited by PolishDave

Cardale will be fighting for a roster spot this season but it will almost certainly be a PS spot.

Assuming we keep Taylor:

1. Bills will almost certainly add a vet QB to the roster to compete for the backup job as I can't imagine they will feel comfortable with a raw kid like Cardale going into camp as the primary competitor for the backup gig.

2. In addition to that Vet, the Bills will likely add 2 more QBs to the roster before camp, and I assume one in the draft and probably an UDFA rookie.

Taylor will be the starter with the Vet and Cardale competing for the backup, and if Cardale doesn't win (and he likely wont) he will then be fighting for the PS spot as we aren't dressing 3 QB's on Sunday and he is going to have to compete for that spot with the likely rookie or rookies we add to camp too.

Personally I think he has almost no chance to make the active roster and is 50/50 to even make the PS and odds could worsen if we grab a quality rookie prospect that is more polished this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him and someone like Chad Kelly battling it out for the PS roster spot as I think we could grab Kelly in the 5th this year.

With no 4th round pick, and several holes in the secondary, a big need at WR and RT, I just don't think the Bills will use either of the first 3 picks on a QB and then look to add a prospect in the 5th. Kelly makes a lot of sense there and I think Cardale's ability to make the PS will come down to a battle between those 2. Cardale has a lot of tools to like, but if he doesnt show enough improvement it wouldn't shock me to see him cut.

All you ever hear about him is that he's not ready, which he proved hugely in the Jets game. You also read there's no time during the regular season to develop him because other QB's need the rep's. So when does he get ready?

If you bring back Tyrod, he plays and he's probably here a few more years. Where's the window for Cardale? If he's "not ready," how do you make him the 2nd QB even with EJ gone?

If you don't bring back Tyrod, someone else plays because Cardale's not ready. You pick up a serviceable vet and probably forget about the playoffs.

If you draft Watson at #10 (which appeals to me a lot), there's a better chance of him playing early -- like in 2017 -- than Cardale.

So what's the point of carrying Cardale? What are you supposed to do with him and when?

Some clarity is in order. This years QB draft class looks like it's one of the worst, and next year's seems like it might be one of the best.

So...

1. Move on from Taylor (he's the top end of the mediocre level we've come to expect at the position)

2. Sign a cheap veteran QB like Hoyer

3. Start Hoyer (or whoever) and when Jones gets even close to ready you play him till the end of the season.

4. If Jones doesn't cut it (looking at 4-12 record), you select your franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.

Bills fans should be able to wait one more year. Watch Cardale Jones when he gets his chance and also watch college football for the future QB of the Bills that they'll be picking in the 2018 draft.

Some clarity is in order. This years QB draft class looks like it's one of the worst, and next year's seems like it might be one of the best.

So...

1. Move on from Taylor (he's the top end of the mediocre level we've come to expect at the position)

3. Start Hoyer (or whoever) and when Jones gets even close to ready you play him till the end of the season.

4. If Jones doesn't cut it (looking at 4-12 record), you select your franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.

Bills fans should be able to wait one more year. Watch Cardale Jones when he gets his chance and also watch college football for the future QB of the Bills that they'll be picking in the 2018 draft.

Here is the issue...this roster is too talented to lose 12 games. I mean we had the awful Orton/EJ combo and still won nine games, so if you bring in Hoyer I don't think we would lose 12 games, in fact, I think we would remain competitive.

Now, if Cardale was the starter and a disaster sure, then I think we could lose enough to be in the conversation for top pick...but this team would be too competitive still with Hoyer to compete for the top pick next year, or even a top 5 and probably not even get a top 10 pick.

The Bills coaching staff was happy with his development as the year went along. There was talk of it late in the year. He was a LONG way from playing when he came. He's closer now.

Fair enough.

I have no idea what he was looking like in practice. My opinion of him is based only on what I saw of him in preseason and the last Jet's game which is a very small sample.

Based on that very small sample, he looked better in the last preseason game than he looked in that last Jet's game. But to be fair, in preseason he was playing against other 2nds and 3rds compared to Jet's starters. So I guess there is that.

I would be pleasantly surprised if he made it to the number 2 spot at QB this year. That would tell me that the coaches thing he has improved a great deal.

I guess we will have a better idea after training camp and preseason. Or if he gets kicked to the curb before that, then we will know what the coaches and Whaley thought about his progress so far. Too bad we don't get to see those practices.

Just to be clear the Bills are HAPPY with where Cardale is now not disappointed. He isn't going to be fighting for a roster spot or anything (unless he regresses quite a bit). He may even end up as the #2. Cardale was a project and I don't think that all Bills fans realized that. It was always going to take a few years. They aren't scrapping that plan now.

So...

Your strategy has the words TANK written all over it in big freaking letters. And that doesn't sell tickets or merchandise or bring new fans to the team.

Just to be clear the Bills are HAPPY with where Cardale is now not disappointed. He isn't going to be fighting for a roster spot or anything (unless he regresses quite a bit). He may even end up as the #2. Cardale was a project and I don't think that all Bills fans realized that. It was always going to take a few years. They aren't scrapping that plan now.

How do you know this? The only person you could be speaking about is Whaley right? Because the other guys are gone.

How do you know what this new coaching staff thinks about Cardale?

Your strategy has the words TANK written all over it in big freaking letters. And that doesn't sell tickets or merchandise or bring new fans to the team.

How do you know this? The only person you could be speaking about is Whaley right? Because the other guys are gone.

How do you know what this new coaching staff thinks about Cardale?

I can only speak for the personnel side and the last coaching staff. I can't imagine that the new staff will be disappointed in progress though. No one thought that he was polished coming out so this probably is good news to them as well. "Hey we have this young guy with unbelievable physical tools and he took some steps last year."

Here is the issue...this roster is too talented to lose 12 games. I mean we had the awful Orton/EJ combo and still won nine games, so if you bring in Hoyer I don't think we would lose 12 games, in fact, I think we would remain competitive.

Now, if Cardale was the starter and a disaster sure, then I think we could lose enough to be in the conversation for top pick...but this team would be too competitive still with Hoyer to compete for the top pick next year, or even a top 5 and probably not even get a top 10 pick.

I disagree with how good you think the Bills would look under Hoyer.

I think you will see more passing regardless of who the QB is even if Tyrod stays.

However, if you have Hoyer back there passing the ball, fans are going to watch an offensive line that looks like it has regressed immensely in one single year. And people would be saying that our new offensive coordinator is a joke because he ruined a great offensive line. The running game would take a major step backward because without the extra long pocket time that Tyrod buys you, the deep passing threat would be almost non-existant. Defenses would put 8 in the box and blitz both run blitz and pass blitz a lot more often.

And fans would be like WTF? our defense got a lot better and our offense got a lot worse in one year. Go figure.....

I can only speak for the personnel side and the last coaching staff. I can't imagine that the new staff will be disappointed in progress though. No one thought that he was polished coming out so this probably is good news to them as well. "Hey we have this young guy with unbelievable physical tools and he took some steps last year."

Yeah I get that. It appeared that Lynn was high on the guy. Guess we will see after another preseason. If he is still on the team then the staff thinks he still has the potential to be a great one. Or maybe the guy earns #2 spot.

I disagree with how good you think the Bills would look under Hoyer.

I think you will see more passing regardless of who the QB is even if Tyrod stays.

However, if you have Hoyer back there passing the ball, fans are going to watch an offensive line that looks like it has regressed immensely in one single year. And people would be saying that our new offensive coordinator is a joke because he ruined a great offensive line. The running game would take a major step backward because without the extra long pocket time that Tyrod buys you, the deep passing threat would be almost non-existant. Defenses would put 8 in the box and blitz both run blitz and pass blitz a lot more often.

And fans would be like WTF? our defense got a lot better and our offense got a lot worse in one year. Go figure.....

Yeah I get that. It appeared that Lynn was high on the guy. Guess we will see after another preseason. If he is still on the team then the staff thinks he still has the potential to be a great one. Or maybe the guy earns #2 spot.

I would be shocked if they kicked him to the curb. They drafted him knowing it would take time. He showed progress which is what they hoped. I can't see them pulling the plug on the development. Ideally every team has a guy like that. In addition, he will never make it back to the practice squad. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I would be shocked if they kicked him to the curb. They drafted him knowing it would take time. He showed progress which is what they hoped. I can't see them pulling the plug on the development. Ideally every team has a guy like that. In addition, he will never make it back to the practice squad.

I agree about the practice squad point. Probably get scooped up by somebody.

As far as being shocked about getting kicked to the curb - I wouldn't be. Simply because of the new staff. If McDermott doesn't like Cardale at all and the Bills have four QB's in preseason, then it wouldn't shock me if he got cut. That would just tell me that these coaches think completely differently about Cardale than Whaley does. I don't expect it to happen, but it isn't far-fetched for a 3rd string QB to end up getting cut due to opinion of new coaching staff. I think he is more likely to remain on the team than getting cut but only slightly more likely.

Well, it would be shocking if they cut him before camp this year. :lol:

Edited by PolishDave

...he will then be fighting for the PS spot as we aren't dressing 3 QB's on Sunday and he is going to have to compete for that spot with the likely rookie or rookies we add to camp to...

They kept 3 QBs on the 53 last year and seeing as Whaley still has control of the 53, why would that change?

I agree about the practice squad point. Probably get scooped up by somebody.

As far as being shocked about getting kicked to the curb - I wouldn't be. Simply because of the new staff. If McDermott doesn't like Cardale at all and the Bills have four QB's in preseason, then it wouldn't shock me if he got cut. That would just tell me that these coaches think completely differently about Cardale than Whaley does. I don't expect it to happen, but it isn't far-fetched for a 3rd string QB to end up getting cut due to opinion of new coaching staff. I think he is more likely to remain on the team than getting cut but only slightly more likely.

Maybe this is a better question, what would you rather do with your 3rd QB? Cardale is a lottery ticket (which is why he won't make it to the practice squad). He's a guy that you can keep inactive on gamedays and develop during practice. It is a much better use for a roster spot than Tuel or some other guy with a limited ceiling. That's the developmental spot and you have a great developmental prospect filling it. If he was a Kevin Hogan type guy then I could see it "get his guy is never going to be more than a #2." If you can use the 3rd QB spot for a guy with franchise QB upside you'd be foolish to not keep trying to develop him. The other prospects that you'd have competing for that spot almost certainly don't have his ceiling. In theory, that spot should never play so that factors in.

i dont particularly like him.. have seen nothing that separates him from any of the other QB's we drafted that sucked.. granted his playing time was limited , but didnt hear much from the coaches to indicate he is (or was) lighting it up.. or will be..

Edited by dwight in philly

Maybe this is a better question, what would you rather do with your 3rd QB? Cardale is a lottery ticket (which is why he won't make it to the practice squad). He's a guy that you can keep inactive on gamedays and develop during practice. It is a much better use for a roster spot than Tuel or some other guy with a limited ceiling. That's the developmental spot and you have a great developmental prospect filling it. If he was a Kevin Hogan type guy then I could see it "get his guy is never going to be more than a #2." If you can use the 3rd QB spot for a guy with franchise QB upside you'd be foolish to not keep trying to develop him. The other prospects that you'd have competing for that spot almost certainly don't have his ceiling. In theory, that spot should never play so that factors in.

Your train of thought is very logical. Can't say that I disagree with any of it.

Just don't know anything about these new coaches yet. And we don't know what the QB pool is going to look like for the Bills in training camp. Those are the wildcards.

I have no issue whatsoever keeping a project guy with huge upside as QB #3. Condition: (He continues to improve at a reasonable rate.)

Edited by PolishDave

Your train of thought is very logical. Can't say that I disagree with any of it.

Just don't know anything about these new coaches yet. And we don't know what the QB pool is going to look like for the Bills in training camp. Those are the wildcards.

I have no issue whatsoever keeping a project guy with huge upside as QB #3.

It'll be Whaley selling it to the new coaches, and it's the #3 spot. I can't imagine it's that much of a tough sell. He can say, "Take a look at him this year and make a decision next off season" at the very least. I don't think they would be pushing very hard for a different QB prospect for the #3 spot.

They kept 3 QBs on the 53 last year and seeing as Whaley still has control of the 53, why would that change?

Oh, are you saying Cardale was on the active 53? For some reason i thought he was on PS all year until week 17, so if that is the case then my bad. I would adjust my point to be then he would be competing for that 3rd spot on the 53 or facing going to PS.

Oh, are you saying Cardale was on the active 53? For some reason i thought he was on PS all year until week 17, so if that is the case then my bad. I would adjust my point to be then he would be competing for that 3rd spot on the 53 or facing going to PS.

Yea he was on the 53 all yea just not part of the 46 active for game day.

If they tried to sneak him into the PS another team would have snatched him up.

Who are "the Bills" that are happy? The only holdovers are the front office types who picked him last year and of course they're "happy" as they were with EJ at the end of 2013. If they weren't "happy" it'd be quite an admission their decision wasn't right.

Saying something enough doesn't make it true. Point is, he's not close to starting in his second season and doesn't make them better at the position in 2017.

Yea he was on the 53 all yea just not part of the 46 active for game day.

If they tried to sneak him into the PS another team would have snatched him up.

Makes sense, I mistakenly thought he was on the PS. My original point about Chad Kelly still applies as I have this feeling he will be one of our 5th round picks as it just makes too much sense. With the Bills not having a 4th rounder, I just can't see us using either of our top 3 picks on a QB unless someone they really like slides to a great value spot.

Gilmore looks like he is most likely gone leaving 3 huge holes in the starting secondary at CB and both safety spots. I assume we likely address CB in FA as there are some suitable guys there to bring in, especially with the draft being a strong one for safeties. You have to think WR and RT are high on the list too. So, I think those first 3 picks are going to be a higher priority for Secondary, RT and WR (depending on what isnt addressed in FA) then look to use one of our two picks in the 5th to bring a young prospect in to compete for Cardale as the development guy.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Who are "the Bills" that are happy? The only holdovers are the front office types who picked him last year and of course they're "happy" as they were with EJ at the end of 2013. If they weren't "happy" it'd be quite an admission their decision wasn't right.

Saying something enough doesn't make it true. Point is, he's not close to starting in his second season and doesn't make them better at the position in 2017.

The front office and previous coaching staff was pleased with his progress. I clarified that already.

He was never intended to be ready to start in 2017. I think every team in the league knew that going into the 2016 draft. He was a guy that had insane tools, a lack of experience and didn't play in a pro style offense. When a team (in this case the Bills) made the decision to take him they were aware that it would be a process. This wasn't news to anyone. He was drafted because of his upside. Cardale was going to be behind guys like Kessler on day 1 but the thinking is that if he develops he will fly by those guys. So far he's shown the FO progress (which was what they hoped). They will give it another year to see if that continues.

As a sidenote you are THE LAST PERSON on this board that should say "if you say something enough it doesn't make it true." You've regurgitated the same one thought over and over for years.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not being close to starting does not mean that he is not better, and if he's better the position is improved at least in that regard.

Lets see...a couple more years, and his contract is up....and the Bills investment in him will hit the marketplace. If he can play, the Bills will have to bid for him, Really wondering about the stragedy of him using a Bills roster spot to develope for 3 years, and then departing. Seems like project guys are a bad bet in the NFL. I would cut him now. (Same scenrio with EJ, but he never became good)

Lets see...a couple more years, and his contract is up....and the Bills investment in him will hit the marketplace. If he can play, the Bills will have to bid for him, Really wondering about the stragedy of him using a Bills roster spot to develope for 3 years, and then departing. Seems like project guys are a bad bet in the NFL. I would cut him now. (Same scenrio with EJ, but he never became good)

No one knows him better than the team that sees him every day. If you see something worth keeping, you can lock him up early. It's the ideal way to operate, actually. Did the Packers waste their time with Aaron Rogers?

It'll be Whaley selling it to the new coaches, and it's the #3 spot. I can't imagine it's that much of a tough sell. He can say, "Take a look at him this year and make a decision next off season" at the very least. I don't think they would be pushing very hard for a different QB prospect for the #3 spot.

This

No one knows him better than the team that sees him every day. If you see something worth keeping, you can lock him up early. It's the ideal way to operate, actually. Did the Packers waste their time with Aaron Rogers?

and this.

The issue I have with Cardale or any qb prospect is his accuracy. If a qb doesn't have sharp accuracy in college it is improbable (not impossible) that he will have it in the pros where the windows are tighter and the speed of the game is much faster. Without a doubt he has intriguing tools related to his size and arm strength. I'm not criticizing his selection and investment on development. It's just that I think the odds are against him making it in the long run because of the accuracy issue. I would love to be wrong and am still very much open about him.

Whaley's not going to have much of a sales job with McDermott and Dennison...

Cam 6'5" 245 great size, rocket arm, superior mobility, smart football player, very durable

Cardale 6'5" 249 great size, rocket arm, good mobility, more athlete than football player, can take hits without being fragile

Cardale has the physical tools to be a superman. Dennison and Culley have probably already looked at last years mini-camp, training camp, preseason game, practice and Jets game tape. They see improved footwork throughout the year; improved ball placement throughout the year, the ability to grasp a fairly simple NFL passing system and the courage to throw into any window with literally a rocket arm.

That's all they need to see...you keep an asset like Cardale around for at least his rookie contract plus the option year if he works hard and behaves well. He's young. He could be the future. Choosing between Cardale and say Jeff Tuel as a number 3-- there is no choice.

This post shows why I don't believe anyone will be patient enough to develop a Bills QB. Cardale Jones is exactly the kind of flyer pick people say the Bills need to make. But a year later we want the next shiny object.

This post shows why I don't believe anyone will be patient enough to develop a Bills QB. Cardale Jones is exactly the kind of flyer pick people say the Bills need to make. But a year later we want the next shiny object.

Oh look a puppy!

If the Bills decide to move on from TT they will more than likely draft a QB high in this years draft... They may bring in a "caretaker" to provide veteran leadership skills and start most of the season while the new "kid" develops...

This should have relatively little to any impact on Cardale Jones... Cardale may have a canon for an arm but there is a whole lot more to becoming a good NFL QB than just having a big arm... Can he learn to read defenses? Does he have good pocket presence" Can he develop "touch" on his passes? These are just a few of the many hurdles he will have to overcome if he is to develop into a good pro QB... Most "projects" of this type FAIL... A QB's ARM doesn't usually determine his level of success... It's whats in his HEAD that matters most...

It’s not tanking, it’s making sound business decisions in building your team the proper way. You can’t be expected to always go for the gold when the landscape and schedule just isn’t realistically there for you to do so. You don’t force yourself into making risky decisions like using a ton of cap money on a mediocre QB like Taylor, or burning a 1st rd QB pick on a talent poor or highly questionable class.
It looks like there’s going to be about 3 maybe 4 true franchise QBs in next year’s class. The sound decision is to sign a cheap free agent QB, then hope Jones will be ready to start a significant number of games (8-10?) to take over the starting duties from whoever that veteran QB is. Whatever long shot Jones is, at least you’ll have a chance (no matter how small that chance is) that he shows he’s got the “it” factor and he’s going to be the long term answer.
That Bills schedule is literally one of the toughest in the league. There’s no need to make rash or risky decisions so that it doesn’t look like you’re tanking. This team is a 6 or 7 win team with Taylor starting. Make the proper decisions with the QB position that will get you to the top 3 or 4 years from now.
Just remember, the Bills are already behind the 8 ball with teams like the Raiders, Titans who have Carr and Mariota (even eventually the Colts with Luck). In the next couple of years, you’ll have a bunch of teams that have aging QBs (Steelers, Giants, Saints, Chargers, Cardinals, Vikings) who’ll be getting back into the QB market soon. I think there'll be a mad dash for QBs in the 2018 draft. Best to at least be in the range of getting one than winning two more games with Taylor and then having to burn 1st round picks to move up. If you aren’t in position because Cardale Jones turned out to be the steal of last years draft, then you don’t have to worry about it!
Edited by 1billsfan

Cam 6'5" 245 great size, rocket arm, superior mobility, smart football player, very durable

Cardale 6'5" 249 great size, rocket arm, good mobility, more athlete than football player, can take hits without being fragile

Cardale has the physical tools to be a superman. Dennison and Culley have probably already looked at last years mini-camp, training camp, preseason game, practice and Jets game tape. They see improved footwork throughout the year; improved ball placement throughout the year, the ability to grasp a fairly simple NFL passing system and the courage to throw into any window with literally a rocket arm.

That's all they need to see...you keep an asset like Cardale around for at least his rookie contract plus the option year if he works hard and behaves well. He's young. He could be the future. Choosing between Cardale and say Jeff Tuel as a number 3-- there is no choice.

Joe, how do you know what they see? You just made that up. You have no idea what they see unless you are there with them watching it listening to what they say. Come on man.

I'm with Joe on this one ... I am so tired of Bills QBs with limp arms and dink and dunk ... yes he needs time / accuracy .. but he did stretch the jets D when he played ... you can't even put him in Tuel in the same discussion ... granted the WR injuries didn't help Tyrod in '16 ... but only 12 picks in 2 years ... that's playing not to lose the game. When Tyrod does go deep, he drops in a nice ball ... but what I'm wanting is 20 yard outs where the ball is out before the receiver cuts ... we haven't had that forever.