Cardale Jones

Ennjay

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, how do you know what they see? You just made that up. You have no idea what they see unless you are there with them watching it listening to what they say. Come on man.

Look at his highlight tape from college PD.

1) His feet are seldom planted in the direction of the throw (kind of important)....he had improved on that consistently by preseason and in the Jets game. Footwork is a real key.

2) He hardly ever went through his reads in college--at OSU it was hey is primary open and if not he was on the run. He actually was going through some progressions in the preseason and on a couple of throws in the Jets game.

3) His size and arm are pretty easy to judge...

As much as we try to make this rocket science -- its really not.

He's rawer than raw -- its pretty easy to see progress from where he started even to the untrained eye.

Two other things -- I picked up from highlight tapes..

1) he's often a back foot thrower and not just in situations where he is under rush. He has a great arm but is really lazy in shifting body weight with the throw.

2) He's got a lot of lazy habits-- weak on play action and carrying out fakes..does decent on the roll out/on the move though.

Like I said-- not hard to look at someone who is raw and pick out the obvious things...in no way do I profess to know the finer points -- but I saw progress last year.

Edited by JoeF

It’s not tanking, it’s making sound business decisions in building your team the proper way. You can’t be expected to always go for the gold when the landscape and schedule just isn’t realistically there for you to do so. You don’t force yourself into making risky decisions like using a ton of cap money on a mediocre QB like Taylor, or burning a 1st rd QB pick on a talent poor or highly questionable class.

It looks like there’s going to be about 3 maybe 4 true franchise QBs in next year’s class. The sound decision is to sign a cheap free agent QB, then hope Jones will be ready to start a significant number of games (8-10?) to take over the starting duties from whoever that veteran QB is. Whatever long shot Jones is, at least you’ll have a chance (no matter how small that chance is) that he shows he’s got the “it” factor and he’s going to be the long term answer.
That Bills schedule is literally one of the toughest in the league. There’s no need to make rash or risky decisions so that it doesn’t look like you’re not tanking. This team is a 6 or 7 win team with Taylor starting. Make the proper decisions with the QB position that will get you to the top 3 or 4 years from now.
Just remember, the Bills are already behind the 8 ball with teams like the Raiders, Titans who have Carr and Mariota (even eventually the Colts with Luck). In the next couple of years, you’ll have a bunch of teams that have aging QBs (Steelers, Giants, Saints, Chargers, Cardinals, Vikings) who’ll be getting back into the QB market soon. I think there'll be a mad dash for QBs in the 2018 draft. Best to at least be in the range of getting one than winning two more games with Taylor and then having to burn 1st round picks to move up. If you aren’t in position because Cardale Jones turned out to be the steal of last years draft, then you don’t have to worry about it!

FYI - Tyrod isn't commanding a ton of cap money if extended. In fact he is on the cheap side for a starting QB. If his performance improves over this past year (which is very likely assuming he has healthy quality receivers) then you will have an even better bang for your buck.

Signing a cheap (proven not good) veteran QB like Hoyer will be seen as tanking. No way around it. 90% of football fans (whether Buffalo fans or not) would agree that Hoyer is a substantial downgrade compared to Tyrod. Even if they aren't right about whether he is a downgrade or not, it doesn't matter. The perception of the downgrade is there as soon as the Bills make that move. And because of that perception, fans will say - the Bills are tanking. Analysts will say it on national media channels like NFL channel and ESPN. It will get called into question immediately.

It is about as obvious as it can get.

If they were going to do that, they may as well just admit it and start Cardale or some rookie they draft this year.

If they went and got somebody like Romo - at least they would have a leg to stand on when they said they were trying to upgrade. But somebody who already had his shot and failed like Hoyer - nope. They won't convince people that is an honest effort. They will be admitting they want to lose.

If they move on from Tyrod and they want to sell tickets this year, then they are going to have to bring in a big name rookie like Watson or else a big name veteran like Romo (or his equivalent).

1) His feet are seldom planted in the direction of the throw (kind of important)....he had improved on that consistently by preseason and in the Jets game. Footwork is a real key.

2) He hardly ever went through his reads in college--at OSU it was hey is primary open and if not he was on the run. He actually was going through some progressions in the preseason and on a couple of throws in the Jets game.

He's rawer than raw -- its pretty easy to see progress from where he started even to the untrained eye.

It is entirely possible he has improved immensely from college. I don't know because I think I only saw him play one game in college - and to be honest I don't remember his play from there.

I was talking about improving over the course of last season. The only thing any fan has to go on is what they saw in preseason and what they saw in the Jet's game. And in my opinion he looked better in a couple quarters in preseason. I know it is a very small sample size. He might very well have gotten better and just not shown it in that Jet's game. Maybe he does show it in practice.

I am merely questioning how any fan (in this case - you) can claim definitively that he has improved meaningfully (if at all) from preseason to the Jet's game. How in the world could you tell from that Jet's performance. That was not good quarterbacking by any stretch. During part of his last preseason performance he was extremely decisive and forcing the ball to receivers which was working at points. Part of his preseason was very unimpressive too. But he looked better at points in preseason than at any point in his limited time in the Jet's game.

That's why I question when you made the statement about what the coaches are seeing. You made that stuff up about the coaches saying "They see improved footwork throughout the year; improved ball placement throughout the year, the ability to grasp a fairly simple NFL passing system and the courage to throw into any window with literally a rocket arm."

Two other things -- I picked up from highlight tapes..

1) he's often a back foot thrower and not just in situations where he is under rush. He has a great arm but is really lazy in shifting body weight with the throw.

2) He's got a lot of lazy habits-- weak on play action and carrying out fakes..does decent on the role though.

Like I said-- not hard to look at someone who is raw and pick out the obvious things...in no way do I profess to know the finer points -- but I saw progress last year.

Your optimism is admirable but he actually looked worse the more he played in the preseason and the Jets game was just an extension of that.

Taking steps back might be the path to getting better but sometimes it's not too.

It is entirely possible he has improved immensely from college. I don't know because I think I only saw him play one game in college - and to be honest I don't remember his play from there.

I was talking about improving over the course of last season. The only thing any fan has to go on is what they saw in preseason and what they saw in the Jet's game. And in my opinion he looked better in a couple quarters in preseason. I know it is a very small sample size. He might very well have gotten better and just not shown it in that Jet's game. Maybe he does show it in practice.

I am merely questioning how any fan (in this case - you) can claim definitively that he has improved meaningfully (if at all) from preseason to the Jet's game. How in the world could you tell from that Jet's performance. That was not good quarterbacking by any stretch. During part of his last preseason performance he was extremely decisive and forcing the ball to receivers which was working at points. Part of his preseason was very unimpressive too. But he looked better at points in preseason than at any point in his limited time in the Jet's game.

That's why I question when you made the statement about what the coaches are seeing. You made that stuff up about the coaches saying "They see improved footwork throughout the year; improved ball placement throughout the year, the ability to grasp a fairly simple NFL passing system and the courage to throw into any window with literally a rocket arm."

You are correct--I have not talked to Coach McDermott, Culley, Dennison...,you win. I mean no one every does conjecture on an Internet message board, so I apologize if I offended you with my conjecture.

Your optimism is admirable but he actually looked worse the more he played in the preseason and the Jets game was just an extension of that.

Taking steps back might be the path to getting better but sometimes it's not too.

You honestly look at the preseason games and think that was a regression from the second year at Ohio State?

Edited by JoeF

You honestly look at the preseason games and think that was a regression from the second year at Ohio State?

He regressed DURING the preseason and looked as bad in the Jets game as he did at the end of the preseason.

Not to be unexpected........he didn't play much at Ohio State.

Does a guy who hasn't won a QB competition since High School have the fight and focus in him to turn his high end physical skills into high end NFL QB play?

Urban Meyer basically branded him a flake on the way out the door at Ohio State so as big of a fan as I was of that pick from a talent standpoint....... I am not going to put the rose-colored glasses on when I watch him play.

It would actually be cool if the Bills did a video and put it up at BuffaloBills.com that showed how Cardale has improved at the position from camp till now assuming he has. - Would be a good PR move. Would give fans more optimism about Cardale.

Or maybe they are saving that for the day they part ways with Tyrod.

March 10th, 2017

Whaley picks up phone - dials Commandant Goebbels - "Release the video."

We must prepare the masses for when we name Cardale the starter.

Edited by PolishDave

You do EXACTLY what you always planned on doing with a Cardale. You continue to develop him. He made big strides in year 1 and still has a ways to go. This isn't a surprise to the Bills. He was a raw prospect with a high celing. He wasn't being drafted to be a solid back-up that can play day one. He was a guy that was drafted because he has the raw tools to be a star. His role this year probably looks a lot like his role last year. That's not a disappointment or a surprise, that was the plan.

Completely agree. He has no hope of playing now. Let him get his reps in OTA's and in training camp. If he shows progress keep him another year. If not keep drafting one until you find one.

He regressed DURING the preseason and looked as bad in the Jets game as he did at the end of the preseason.

Not to be unexpected........he didn't play much at Ohio State.

Does a guy who hasn't won a QB competition since High School have the fight and focus in him to turn his high end physical skills into high end NFL QB play?

Urban Meyer basically branded him a flake on the way out the door at Ohio State so as big of a fan as I was of that pick from a talent standpoint....... I am not going to put the rose-colored glasses on when I watch him play.

How many college snaps did Matt Cassell get? He sat and learned and turned out to be a serviceable pro. Jones' celing is a lot higher than Cassell but only time will tell.

FYI - Tyrod isn't commanding a ton of cap money if extended. In fact he is on the cheap side for a starting QB. If his performance improves over this past year (which is very likely assuming he has healthy quality receivers) then you will have an even better bang for your buck.

Signing a cheap (proven not good) veteran QB like Hoyer will be seen as tanking. No way around it. 90% of football fans (whether Buffalo fans or not) would agree that Hoyer is a substantial downgrade compared to Tyrod. Even if they aren't right about whether he is a downgrade or not, it doesn't matter. The perception of the downgrade is there as soon as the Bills make that move. And because of that perception, fans will say - the Bills are tanking. Analysts will say it on national media channels like NFL channel and ESPN. It will get called into question immediately.

It is about as obvious as it can get.

If they were going to do that, they may as well just admit it and start Cardale or some rookie they draft this year.

If they went and got somebody like Romo - at least they would have a leg to stand on when they said they were trying to upgrade. But somebody who already had his shot and failed like Hoyer - nope. They won't convince people that is an honest effort. They will be admitting they want to lose.

If they move on from Tyrod and they want to sell tickets this year, then they are going to have to bring in a big name rookie like Watson or else a big name veteran like Romo (or his equivalent).

You seem to think the Bills decision-makers should care more about outside perception of the team and ticket sales rather than making smart decisions. That’s the small, short-sided thinking that has been doing in this franchise for the last 15 years. Sometimes you’ve just got to do the right thing, even if it means knowingly signing on for a year of discontent at the QB position. Taylor, Watson, Trubisky are all just feel good band-aids IMO. Hopefully the Bills decision-makers will have the guts to acknowledge that none of these QBs are the answer, the only QB they will draft or sign on for long term will be the QB they think is the answer, and until then build the roster up for that franchise QB that they hope will either be Jones, or the franchise level QB would be drafting just a little over 14 months from now. After 17 years, that should be a piece of cake.

What do you do? Is that really a question? He is a cheap option you try to mold into something better. If it doesn't work no worries, it also doesn't stop you from drafting another QB if you wanted to.

You don't really have to do anything out of the norm... Since he is a backup QB you drafted and is very cheap.

Makes sense, I mistakenly thought he was on the PS. My original point about Chad Kelly still applies as I have this feeling he will be one of our 5th round picks as it just makes too much sense. With the Bills not having a 4th rounder, I just can't see us using either of our top 3 picks on a QB unless someone they really like slides to a great value spot.

Gilmore looks like he is most likely gone leaving 3 huge holes in the starting secondary at CB and both safety spots. I assume we likely address CB in FA as there are some suitable guys there to bring in, especially with the draft being a strong one for safeties. You have to think WR and RT are high on the list too. So, I think those first 3 picks are going to be a higher priority for Secondary, RT and WR (depending on what isnt addressed in FA) then look to use one of our two picks in the 5th to bring a young prospect in to compete for Cardale as the development guy.

Chad Kelly will not be around in the 5th round. He will be gone by the 3rd round.

Completely agree. He has no hope of playing now. Let him get his reps in OTA's and in training camp. If he shows progress keep him another year. If not keep drafting one until you find one.

How many college snaps did Matt Cassell get? He sat and learned and turned out to be a serviceable pro. Jones' celing is a lot higher than Cassell but only time will tell.

Brad Johnson would be a better example.....he was a backup at Florida State and won a SB in Tampa.

It can happen but there is something a little off about Cardale and Meyer intimated to it.......it was a huge disappointment that he lost that QB job at Ohio State......JT Barrett is not very good......a guy with Cardale's talent should have been tearing it up with all that talent around him but he was basically just doing enough to win and Meyer wasn't having that.

Playing down to the competition was a Rob Johnson trait........I hope that isn't the case with Cardale.

The issue I have with Cardale or any qb prospect is his accuracy. If a qb doesn't have sharp accuracy in college it is improbable (not impossible) that he will have it in the pros where the windows are tighter and the speed of the game is much faster. Without a doubt he has intriguing tools related to his size and arm strength. I'm not criticizing his selection and investment on development. It's just that I think the odds are against him making it in the long run because of the accuracy issue. I would love to be wrong and am still very much open about him.

Odds are definitely against him. He was a swing for the fences. IF (capital letters) he ever puts it together he can be something that maybe no other QB in that class can be. He's a longshot but was worth the swing IMO. I didn't want a guy that has the ceiling as a backup or low end game manager. I think that those guys have a place. As an example, if we were the Bucs, Cody Kessler would have made more sense than Cardale. You already have your young starter. You need a guy that can play behind him and not lose games for a few weeks. If you are in search of a franchise guy Cardale makes more sense.

Serviceable pro? I don't know I would go that far, maybe a serviceable backup. And Cassel didn't get to play in College because he was stuck behind a first round pick. Cardale lost his job because he wasnt good enough. So I wouldn't compare the two QB's situations in college.

Chad Kelly will not be around in the 5th round. He will be gone by the 3rd round.

Could be, but I think its quite possible for him to last until the 5th this year. I hear that every year about all kinds of QB's...they wont be there in the 3rd or 4th, better take them in the 2nd...then they don't get drafted until 5th or 6th and sometimes not at all. So, if I am the Bills, I target him or a guy like him in the 5th as every year there is someone there that some people thought would go earlier.

You do EXACTLY what you always planned on doing with a Cardale. You continue to develop him. He made big strides in year 1 and still has a ways to go. This isn't a surprise to the Bills. He was a raw prospect with a high celing. He wasn't being drafted to be a solid back-up that can play day one. He was a guy that was drafted because he has the raw tools to be a star. His role this year probably looks a lot like his role last year. That's not a disappointment or a surprise, that was the plan.

On what are you basing this? Personal observations? Coach speak?

REPS, people! If he doesn't get the reps he can't improve. -End of story.

You suddenly decide to TOSS the kid into a game the backup ALREADY LOST at the end of a season the where the regular starter went 7-8 :blink:

what MORON thinks this is a good way to break-in a rookie?

In 18 years this team has PERFECTED the art of FAILING young QB's, and it's disgusting... Bring in Watson, Trubisky, or whoever. They'll FAIL because the expectations (by the organization) are idiotic. And the processs of development is Bass-ackwards...

REPS, people! If he doesn't get the reps he can't improve. -End of story.

You suddenly decide to TOSS the kid into a game the backup ALREADY LOST at the end of a season the where the regular starter went 7-8 :blink:

In 18 years this team has PERFECTED the art of FAILING young QB's, and it's disgusting... Bring in Watson, Trubisky, or whoever. They'll FAIL because the expectations (by the organization) are idiotic. And the processs of development is Bass-ackwards...

What are you even talking about? This post is disgusting... Him playing that last game was no different then him playing in the preseason. All reps are important and you say he needs them to Improve then go off about him getting g reps in an actual game. The most retarded post I have read this week.

"Hey guys he needs reps..."

"WTF is This organization doing give this guy Reps in a meaningless game!?!?"

Edited by Beef Jerky

On what are you basing this? Personal observations? Coach speak?

What I've heard.

I don't think people realize how far from playing he was. I've seen every snap that he's taken since high school and knew exactly what we were getting. People that thought he was going to come in and compete early were just wrong. That was never the plan. That wasn't the guy that they drafted. He was a project. The Bills have been pleased with his progress to date. That doesn't mean that he is close but it means that he is closer. Year 3 will be the time to start passing judgements.

What are you even talking about? This post is disgusting... Him playing that last game was no different then him playing in the preseason. All reps are important and you say he needs them to Improve then go off about him getting g reps in an actual game. The most retarded post I have read this week.

Yah....Reps in a game that isn't lost already... Some can't see the difference... It's fine.... Rex couldn't either.

I will bet you money Chad Kelly won't be drafted by round 3. I think he'll be a UDFA at best.

With Kelly, thats very possible. Once you get to round 5, being drafted and going undrafted is as simple as one team liking you or not. I think with the connections to B-Lo and the intriguing raw ability of the kid, I could see the Bills snaging him in the 5th where we have 2 picks. But like you said, it would not surprise me at all to see him go undrafted. I would think he is a lock for Buffalo if he does go undrafted though as an UDFA.

Edited by Alphadawg7

With Kelly, thats very possible. Once you get to round 5, being drafted and going undrafted is as simple as one team liking you or not. I think with the connections to B-Lo and the intriguing raw ability of the kid, I could see the Bills snaging him in the 5th where we have 2 picks. But like you said, it would not surprise me at all to see him go undrafted. I would think he is a lock for Buffalo if he does go undrafted though as an UDFA.

If Rex and Russ were making those decisions, he could be a Bill. But I doubt McDermott wants a problem child with as many holes in his game as Chad Kelly.

I also think Chad goes undrafted. Knee injury won't help.

I forgot about his knee injury but I still think he's going higher than people think.. I just have a feeling about 3 teams that would draft him; but I'm not going to go there.

Edited by 1st&ten

Just to be clear the Bills are HAPPY with where Cardale is now not disappointed. He isn't going to be fighting for a roster spot or anything (unless he regresses quite a bit). He may even end up as the #2. Cardale was a project and I don't think that all Bills fans realized that. It was always going to take a few years. They aren't scrapping that plan now.

Of course the Bills are going to say they're happy. Did you expect them to say anything else? There has been so much smoke blown up peoples' asses at One Bills Drive for years I've learned to not believe anything they say until I see it for myself. We know nothing about Cardale Jones at this point.

Of course the Bills are going to say they're happy. Did you expect them to say anything else? There has been so much smoke blown up peoples' asses at One Bills Drive for years I've learned to not believe anything they say until I see it for myself. We know nothing about Cardale Jones at this point.

It's not like they were talking about it a ton. When asked, they said that they liked his progress. He's not a guy that you are going to play this year and he probably won't be the #2. He's the developmental guy. I'm not even sure why this thread is still going? They drafted a developmental prospect, that was extremely raw, that they are trying to develop. Nothing has changed. If he made no progress we should worry. If he makes no progress this year, we should worry. At this point though, things are going as planned. He's still a long way away though. Hopefully by camp he's a little closer, by week 4 a little closer, by week 8 a little closer and so on.

Sure just like that!

Couple things, every year, next years draft id the best QB draft ever. So they go 4-12, how do you know you're getting this franchise QB that you think is out there.

I'm sure many scouts & front office folks were talking about what a great QB draft you had the year Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf went 1 and 2. The only other year came close was drew Bledsoe and Rick Mirer believe also went 1 and 2

It's all Whaleys fault for not finding that guy . If it was as easy as you and many others make it sound every team in the league would have a franchise QB!

As others have said with the talent on the team and even a Brian Hoyer, the team could still win 6 or 7 games, and maybe draft again around #10. Though really even at #10 they have almost as much chance as any at findign that guy as more luck than anything.

Some clarity is in order. This years QB draft class looks like it's one of the worst, and next year's seems like it might be one of the best.

So...

1. Move on from Taylor (he's the top end of the mediocre level we've come to expect at the position)

2. Sign a cheap veteran QB like Hoyer

3. Start Hoyer (or whoever) and when Jones gets even close to ready you play him till the end of the season.

4. If Jones doesn't cut it (looking at 4-12 record), you select your franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.

Bills fans should be able to wait one more year. Watch Cardale Jones when he gets his chance and also watch college football for the future QB of the Bills that they'll be picking in the 2018 draft.

I think its sad that a project QB who will never amount to anything gets all this hype

Kid hasn't taken a snap since preseason, all of a sudden he gets thrown into a losing effort at the end of a lost season!

I get that the Bills were in a situation with TT at QB... That's fine.... But there's no way you can close the book on Jones based on that.

Even if you end up doing it, at least get a larger sample size.

Ask, and ye shall receive! :lol:

Edited by #34fan