Kelly "Best QB ever for the Bills"/ Who is number 2?

HT02

Not a knock at you PatsFanNH but I'd be surprised to know how many current Pat's fans can even list 5 of their starting qbs.

Technically it's easy to do 4.. Brady,Bledsoe,Jimmy G, and Jacoby Brisett. (They all started lol) hell 5th be Cassel so even the band wagon fans should get 5!

Butvya we have a lot of bandwagon fans I will not deny that, but what team with this long of a successful run wouldn't?

Edited by PatsFanNH

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fergie had great talent around him. OJ, Cribbs, Butler, Frank Lewis, Chandler and one of the best O lines of that era. He wasn't very good.

I disagree, his teams had good talent in 74-75 and 80-81, but not championship talent like Kemp did. And, to say Fergie wasn't very good is just not true. He was a good QB.

Edited by horned dogs

I disagree, his teams had good talent in 74-75 and 80-81, but not championship talent like Kemp did. And, to say Fergie was very good is just not true. He was a good QB.

He had skills, but rarely took advantage of those skills. He made the most bonehead plays at the most critical times. I've said this many times on here, Jay Cutler is Fergie cloned. For fans too young to have seen him play, just watch Cutler. It's amazing. Super talented, mentally just doesn't have the fortitude and makes horrible decisions.

Technically it's easy to do 4.. Brady,Bledsoe,Jimmy G, and Jacoby Brisett. (They all started lol) hell 5th be Cassel so even the band wagon fans should get 5!

Butvya we have a lot of bandwagon fans I will not deny that, but what team with this long of a successful run wouldn't?

Well played.

Agreed with the bandwagon part of it which was my point to begin with. I have a few coworkers that were exactly like that. Didn't know the history of the team because they only know of the good years.

1.Kelly

2.Kemp

2a.Ferguson

3.Flutie(the guy was nearly 36 when he took the reigns here)

4.Reich

Mad bomber was equal to Kelly in talent but he played so few games here.

Marlin Briscoe could have been way up there....he was too far ahead of his time though

My opinion ('Modern era'):

1. Kelly

2. Taylor

3. Flutie

4. Bledsoe

5. Fitzpatrick

Using PFR's tools:

Top 10 'Modern Era' Bills QBs going by Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt

Rk	Player			Cmp%	Yds	TD	TD%	Int	Int%	Y/G	Rate	ANY/A
1	Tyrod Taylor		62.6	6058	37	4.5	12	1.5	208.9	94.2	6.55
2	Doug Flutie		56.3	7582	47	4.4	30	2.8	194.4	81.7	6.17
3	Jim Kelly		60.1	35467	237	5.0	175	3.7	221.7	84.4	5.86
4	Kyle Orton		64.2	3018	18	4.0	10	2.2	251.5	87.8	5.69
5	Thaddeus Lewis		59.2	1092	4	2.5	3	1.9	182.0	81.0	5.35
6	Ryan Fitzpatrick	59.8	11654	80	4.6	64	3.7	211.9	79.8	5.33
7	Rob Johnson		60.5	4798	27	4.1	17	2.6	159.9	85.5	5.06
8	Drew Bledsoe		59.1	10151	55	3.6	43	2.8	211.5	79.2	5.00
9	Frank Reich		58.9	2540	18	4.8	12	3.2	27.3	81.9	4.99
10	EJ Manuel		58.3	3502	19	3.5	15	2.7	120.8	77.5	4.98
Edited by Dorkington

He had skills, but rarely took advantage of those skills. He made the most bonehead plays at the most critical times. I've said this many times on here, Jay Cutler is Fergie cloned. For fans too young to have seen him play, just watch Cutler. It's amazing. Super talented, mentally just doesn't have the fortitude and makes horrible decisions.

:thumbsup:

Flutie is so under rated, he had us in the playoffs two years in a row. Without him there is a good chance the franchise would have moved to LA and the year they cut him loose we were 8 - 8, the gold standard for this bunch today.

I suggest another way to answer this question is to consider how well a player would have done in another player's era.

-- Jim Kelly would have been great in any era. Tough player, very good passer, excellent leader. He did benefit from excellent players around him, but his own skills were really excellent.

-- Jack Kemp was very effective in his era, very good leader, very strong arm, not terribly accurate as a passer -- completion percentage below 50%. He might have been pretty good in today's game but his inaccuracy would have held the team back. QBs now have to be able to get the ball into very tight windows to defeat sophisticated defenses. Not so much in the 60s.

-- Joe Ferguson was pretty good, and his game would have worked OK earlier and later. I think if you put Ferguson into the Bills teams of the 60s, he would not have done as well as Kemp, because Ferguson wasn't as good a leader, and the NFL in those days was more about unity of purpose than individual accomplishments. If you put Ferguson into the Bills team of today, I think he'd have them in the playoffs but not the SB.

-- I don't know why Fitz isn't talked about as a candidate at least to be on the list. He had his stinkers of games but they all did. He's gotten worse since he left the Bills but while he was here he did OK. I think he would have been more effective in the 60s game than he was in the 2000s while here. On the 60s teams, he'd be better than Kemp was.

-- Lamonica didn't play all that well while he was here. He couldn't even beat out Kemp as the starter. Sure, he did great elsewhere, but so did Bledsoe. I'm looking at what players did while actually with the Bills.

-- Flutie was entertaining and frustrating. He would have been entertaining and frustrating in any era. Not as good a passer as Taylor, not really as good a runner as Taylor, much more divisive than Taylor. Flutie was about Flutie, and TT at least has the team's best interest at heart. How could you put Flutie on the list and not include Taylor?

-- The most talented passer, other than Kelly, was Rob Johnson. By far not the best QB. Not on my list.

1. Kelly

2. Ferguson

3. Kemp

4. Fitz

5. TT

Flutie is so under rated, he had us in the playoffs two years in a row. Without him there is a good chance the franchise would have moved to LA and the year they cut him loose we were 8 - 8, the gold standard for this bunch today.

The defense had the team in the playoffs those years.

Kelly #1 followed by Joe D

Kemp was awful and to say otherwise means you were too young to actually watch him. That team won championships is spite of Kemp. Great coach, one of the best D's ever imo, and the Cookie G won it all

Oh yeah, a worse congressman. Anyone remember trickle down economics? His baby

Edited by MarkyMannn

Kemp was awful and to say otherwise means you were too young to actually watch him. That team won championships is spite of Kemp. Great coach, one of the best D's ever imo, and the Cookie G won it all

That's mostly true, because back then home games weren't televised, and we didn't have the money to go to the games. I scarcely remember watching Kemp play but I've read a lot about the 60s team's success and subsequent collapse.

I should point out that we had Cookie in 64 but not in 65. Saban traded him to Denver before the 65 season.

is frank reich on this list?

i think he is under appreciated because he was behind jimbo.

1. Brady
2. Bledsoe
3. Grogan
4. Eason had one good year lol

Can I count Plunkett even though they traded him to the Raiders? (Ugh talk about an incompetent organization back then.)

i cannot stand your team and every time i see you post it irks me until i read what you post. thanks for sticking around and not always spewing your bias nonsense of how bad your team cheats.

it will be interesting for the patriots post brady. i do not know if belichick retires or not. but short of bledsoe and brady they have had nothing more than an average qb middle of the pack at best. if history is doomed to repeat itself will the pats return to average?